Girl's Guide to Hentai feedback

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
punkstara
Experienced Poster

Post by punkstara »

Hey everyone! First off I want to thank everyone who attended my panel! This was the first time I've ever tried to run a new panel on my own, or do any sort of hentai related or even video related panel. I hope it went off well, and am wondering what everyone who attended thought about the panel!

I look forward to bringing more awesome hentai to AB 2009, perhaps showing more variety of hentai and less of any one series. I have oh so much that I wanted to share, but couldn't due to time constraints this year! But egad, did I have fun hosting this panel!!

Let me know what you thought!
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

Unfortunately, I feel that the panel could use some improvement. I was expecting an introduction to hentai aimed at a female audience, but instead what I received was mostly (IMHO) a showcase for your two favorite hentai series. ^_^;;; In particular, telling us (the audience) the plot of particular scenes in detail, and then showing us those scenes was rather redundant. In future editions of this panel, I suggest picking, say, a dozen series of different genres (perhaps a couple per genre—comedy, romance, "normal", sword & sorcery fantasy, magical girls, nurses/medical, tentacles/eroguro, etc.), giving a two or three sentence intro for each, and then showing a relatively brief clip. Be sure to put a list titles of everything you show on the screen so that panel attendees know what they are watching and how to spell the titles.

Though it may be too technical, a discussion of the various Japanese hentai production/distribution studios (Milky/MS Pictures, Green Bunny, Five Ways, Digital Works/Vanilla Series, etc.) and the American licensees (Media Blasters/Kitty Media, The Right Stuf International/Critical Mass Video, Adult Source Media, JapanAnime, etc.) might also be useful to help classify who did what, and who has released what. E.g., "The Vanilla Series is composed mostly of mediocre adaptations of hentai video games, and Critical Mass has licensed most of them, though Kitty Media and Anime 18 have picked up a few. However, there are a few gems in the Vanilla Series catalog, particularly Angel Blade" and "Cherry Lips only released three shows, but the art and animation for all them was above average, and they were all picked up by Kitty Media." (See post #5967173 on AnimeNation's Hentai forum for an overview of licensing as of late 2006.)

A longer Q&A period would help, and perhaps a short list of terms would be good (see the Yuribou Hentai Dictionary for suggestions), as would a 90 minute time block.

Anyway, I'm the guy with the lists, and I'd like to help. I don't have the technical skills to put together a clip show, but I am pretty good at researching and classifying hentai anime. }:|
punkstara
Experienced Poster

Post by punkstara »

I appreciate your feedback, but what you are presenting is not really what I had intended for the panel or any I would run. I also do not watch nor enjoy "cute/vanilla" hentai and thus would not found a panel based on it. You seem extremely knowledgeable and encourage you to form your own panel though, one that I would be keen on attending for sure!
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

[quote=punkstara]I appreciate your feedback, but what you are presenting is not really what I had intended for the panel or any I would run. I also do not watch nor enjoy "cute/vanilla" hentai and thus would not found a panel based on it.[/quote]
Then do a panel on non-vanilla hentai, but call it something a bit more specific than "Girl's Guide to Hentai", which IMHO seems a bit misleading in comparison to the panel you ran. Change the "comedy, romance, 'normal', sword & sorcery fantasy, magical girls, nurses/medical" to "eroguro/tentacle, futanari, bondage, bake a cake, scat, f_sting, etc." or whatever you want (I was targeting my response to what the panel's title seemed to imply). I just ask that the information about the panel be more precise (though I realize that the panel did not make it into the program book, so there was no description)—figure out what panel you do want to run and tell us.
Hansonf16
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Hansonf16 »

Hi! I just wanted to let you know I really enjoyed your panel. I don't know if you remember, but I had told you at the shojo manga pannel that the next day I bought both titles. I watched them both and they were great. My fiance and I have get togethers with our friends and watch henti together ( weird I know but fun, our version of dinner and a movie with friends A.K.A, "Taco night") We can't wait to watch this with our friends for our next "Taco Night". If you have any other recommendations please let me know. I was also wondering if you have seen/ what you think of Level C and Another Lady Innocent. Thanks and hope to see you guys again next year! :P
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

[quote=Hansonf16]I was also wondering if you have seen/ what you think of Level C and Another Lady Innocent.[/quote]
(Though you are not asking the question of me...) I have not watched Level C, but I have seen Another Lady Innocent, which is by Satoshi Urushihara, and it shows. The art and animation are excellent, and the sex is not too "challenging" (read: consensual and fairly fetish-free), but unfortunately the series is incomplete—the single episode is all there is, and it does not cover the entire plot. ;_;

For more recommendations, I suggest asking on either the AnimeNation(.net) Hentai forum, or the Anime on DVD(.com) Anime Recommendations & Must Buy Suggestions forum. (I don't see anything in the forum rules to prohibit this sort of discussion, but at the least you will (likely) have access to more posters who have knowledge of the subject. OTOH, if there is no objection, I have a couple of lists I can post and/or link to, as well as a list of review sites.)
Hansonf16
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Hansonf16 »

Thanks for the suggestion. And I find it so depressing that Another Lady Innocent is just the one episode with a preview for the next, that just makes it so much worse! lol.
punkstara
Experienced Poster

Post by punkstara »

[quote=Hansonf16]Hi! I just wanted to let you know I really enjoyed your panel. I don't know if you remember, but I had told you at the shojo manga pannel that the next day I bought both titles. I watched them both and they were great. My fiance and I have get togethers with our friends and watch henti together ( weird I know but fun, our version of dinner and a movie with friends A.K.A, "Taco night") We can't wait to watch this with our friends for our next "Taco Night". If you have any other recommendations please let me know. I was also wondering if you have seen/ what you think of Level C and Another Lady Innocent. Thanks and hope to see you guys again next year! :P [/quote]

I'm so glad you enjoyed my panel, and I do remember your telling my friend about purchasing the titles! I'd answer your questions but it appears that Señor Paneljacker has already done so, so I'll just say that I liked Level C and not Another Lady Innocent (the pointed boobs threw me off).