Project Manga Panel

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Project Manga Panel

Post by marikotoeii »

This was an idea I submitted for a panel :

Introduction:

Much in the style of PROJECT RUNWAY, Project Manga will challenge ten artists to compile an original short 5 page Manga using only the provided materials. Artists will need to sign up for PROJECT MANGA on Friday and the actual Panel will need to occur in the late afternoon Saturday. (Before Masq please). Artist will be judged on craftsmanship, creativity, originality and there will be a special prize for audiences favorite piece. There can be as many as 2 artists per team.

Materials that will be given to artists upon sign up:

10 sheets of copy paper, one hb pencil, one metal pencil sharpener, one mars white eraser, and three micron black pens. (.3, .5, .8)

in an effort to prevent artists from using other copy paper to work on designs before the con, a special marking will be on the back of the provided paper

No Computers, white out, or any other materials will be allowed to be used. All entries will be examined before the panel begins to confirm this rule has been followed. No Photocopies! You must submit the original drawings!

As the copy of the artist's work is passed around the room, the artist will need to 'present' their manga to us - i.e. title, main characters, what kind of manga is it? (drama, comedy...) They will need to be able to answer audience and judges questions about their work. This will also be a big part of their competition. So artists will need to come up wiht an original idea, and be able to discuss that idea in front of a panel.

Artists are strongly encouraged to avoid making entries word heavy. Emphasis will be placed more on the visual, as the finished pieces will be passed around the panel roomm as the artist presents.

Artists do not have to have a full plot for the entry, however, we must see a progression in the work. (i.e. the story must flow during thosde five pages, it can be a part of a story but we need to be able to see somehting going on.)

For Example
the manga can be of a battle scene
the artist must relate to us why they are fighting and who they are in the story...

it is at the descretion of the artist how much they chose to finish their pieces. Artists can chose to make theor entries entirely in pen or pencil or a combination of both. as long as they use what they are provided, the creativity of the artist can include: shading, using lines to make tones, shadows, and textures...

Artists who wish to win are encouraged to show thought out pieces with clear and confident presentations.

All entries must keep to a pg rating.
no nudity, no profanity, no over the top violence - per the con rules for art exhibition

Artists are allowed to use the genres of yaoi, yuri, etc

Absolutely no fan art entries. All work must be original!

Artists of all levels are encouraged to participate, however we will be full with 10 teams (Keeping in mind that each team can have up to 2 people) No teams may work together. Sign up is first come first serve basis.

If there are any guest artists that would like to be on the judging panel, please let me know. i will be attempting to scout out some other veteran artist alley exhibitors to help me out.

Prizes:

I will be buying prizes for first place, audiences choice, and honorable mention. If Anime boston would liek to post the winner's piece on the site, that might be a good idea too.

There is no entrance fee for this panel. Contestants may keep all materials.

Sign Ups for this panel can either be at my artist alley table OR Preferable at info desk or registration.

Panel length:

Introduction - 5 min

time allotted per each artist to present their work 10 minutes 10 artists = 100 minutes, = 1 1/2 hours

Judging and prizes - 30 minutes

Time needed : 2 hours
ShadowWolf
Committed Poster

Project Manga Panel

Post by ShadowWolf »

This indeed is an interesting idea. Though, in my thought, very time consuming. I'm not completely sure an audience would sit for 1.5 hours just watching people draw.

In any event, it would probably be better if they submitted artwork to be judged in a contest enviroment and have professional judges mark their place point.

I think it's a great idea, I'm just not completely sure it would be too successful.
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Project Manga Panel

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Since (according to the application I got) this should be fine in a smaller room, I may schedule this more as a workshop than a straight-up panel. It fulfills the requirement of the smaller room, gives it more time (the workshop room historically isn't that heavily utilized relative to panel rooms), and is an environment where people are more used to just sitting around and drawing, etc. Perhaps if you combine this with some general tips and pointers for those watching but not competing, it could work out very nicely.

Also, never underestimate how entertaining people sitting around and doing something can be, provided you have a good enough "emcee" running the show. People have had a grand old time at Iron Editor AMV panels thanks to lots of trash talk and joking around between the competitors and the emcee.
"Dragonmaster" Lou Arruda
Panels Programming Coordinator 2008-2014
Programming Operations Staff 2015-2019
Autographs Staff 2022-

Doth thou desire the power?
My fist is the divine breath! Blossom, o fallen seed, and draw upon thy hidden powers!!
Grant unto thee the power of the glorious 'Mother of Destruction'!
ShadowWolf
Committed Poster

Project Manga Panel

Post by ShadowWolf »

Yes, workshop would work much better for this idea.

And yes, can be interesting when you have a fun emcee to make jests at the audience. Otherwise, it isn't much fun to sit and stare.
PawShapedHeart
Tom Selleck Fan Club Member

Project Manga Panel

Post by PawShapedHeart »

[color:red]Sounds liike fun. I've got a korny crack manga in the works now titles C2 (squared). My humor sucks somewhat and the plot was desided one night at midnight after a full day of conventioning. ^^;[/color]
Badge Name: PawShapedHeart

Cosplays For AB'14:
  • casual Natasha Romanov (Avengers)
  • Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshitsuji)
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Project Manga Panel

Post by marikotoeii »

The artists will be signing up on friday, thus beginning their work on their own time between friday when they sign in and sat afternoon when the panel is. The audience would be viewing the finished manga as well as listening to the artists present their work.

There will be a panel of judges. i am looking into veteran artist alley artists as well as possibly getting aq guest artist to join the judges panel.
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Project Manga Panel

Post by marikotoeii »

I think there is a misunderstanding here...

the artists will not be making their completions during the panel. they will need to sign up on friday and they will be making the artowkr on thier own time with the materials provided given to them when they sign up.

there will be no drawing in the actual panel.

the audience will be there for the artists to present their entries. but all entries should be done by the time of the panel.

the audience is spectators, but they will be voting for their favorite piece.

the workshop room is fine.

i think if i can get my laptop hooked up to the projector and a screen, then it will make it easier for the artist to show their pieces after we give them a quick scan.

Just to reiterate, this panel is designedd to be an artwork competition where there are set parameters and a time limit that is uniform for all competitors. This is supposed to be an oppurtunity for aspiring artists to gain some exposure in the convention world.

This would also be a great way for those artists unable to be in artist alley to show their work.
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Project Manga Panel

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

I got it. This does clarify things a lot and should make it easier for me to determine what the best room is for this panel should it make the cut.
"Dragonmaster" Lou Arruda
Panels Programming Coordinator 2008-2014
Programming Operations Staff 2015-2019
Autographs Staff 2022-

Doth thou desire the power?
My fist is the divine breath! Blossom, o fallen seed, and draw upon thy hidden powers!!
Grant unto thee the power of the glorious 'Mother of Destruction'!
tkawaii
Veteran Poster

Project Manga Panel

Post by tkawaii »

oh was your panel accepted?
oh why not sunday? for more time since I wont be available and you're more likely to have an open spot on sunday ^^ Also, for 5 pages, it would be better

oh, and can you use card stock then copy paper please? and a thicker brush/ sharpie for large black area's?