Possible Anime Poetry Panel

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Hello, my boyfriend Sean is a poet, and he is about to publish a poetry book (his 4th) that has in it all poems about various anime series.

The book is entitled "Anime Forever". Along with the poems, it will also feature artwork from an artist friend of ours, John Medeiros Jr.

Sean is thinking possibly of holding a panel at AB next year where he will read all of his poems that he has written for the book, and during the panel, if anyone has any questions pertaining to the book, and/or John's (who would also be at the panel) artwork, to feel free to ask.

I was wondering if those who post here could please give feedback on this, in hopes that many people would be interested in this type of a panel.

I think it would be a fun and new interesting idea.

Thanks in advance!^_^

tammertime
Show-off

Post by tammertime »

I think it sounds really cool. And has the potential to be very entertaining! :thumbup:
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Hello, tammertime, and thank you for your response.^_^

I had forgotten to mention in my previous post, just so everyone knows, Sean hosts a monthly poetry series, Poetry at the Main Street Cafe, in North Easton, MA. The venue is in its 5th year now. Sean has also been a featured guest poet at several poetry venues throughout Greater Boston.

He also has had several works of poetry published, & he has been writing for over 20 years.
xenocrisis0153
Needs a purpose in life

Post by xenocrisis0153 »

[quote=Kusuguru Usagi]I was wondering if those who post here could please give feedback on this, in hopes that many people would be interested in this type of a panel. [/quote]
my only suggestion would be to save some time toward the end to allow other people to stand up front and share their own poetry... get the audience involved a little bit and share the love
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

[quote=xenocrisis0153]
my only suggestion would be to save some time toward the end to allow other people to stand up front and share their own poetry... get the audience involved a little bit and share the love[/quote]

Hello, xenocrisis, I told my boyfriend your suggestion, and he likes the idea alot!! :D He needs at least 1/2 an hour to read his book, and then he'd want to have time for people to ask questions, if they have any. Then, he thought after that, if anyone has any poetry they'd like to read, to come up and read their works.
ShadowWolf
Committed Poster

Post by ShadowWolf »

Hey, this sounds like a [potential] great idea!

Can't say I'm a sucker for some good poetry, not to mention I love writing my own.
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Oh cool!! You're a poet as well, & you're from NH? One time my boyfriend had a feature in Littleton, NH at a place called Cafe Latte.
PawShapedHeart
Tom Selleck Fan Club Member

Post by PawShapedHeart »

[quote=tammertime]I think it sounds really cool. And has the potential to be very entertaining! :thumbup: [/quote]

[color:red]I agree, poetry is reallty lots of fun. And it's creative.[/color]
Badge Name: PawShapedHeart

Cosplays For AB'14:
  • casual Natasha Romanov (Avengers)
  • Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshitsuji)
KoinuSephiroth
Veteran Poster

Post by KoinuSephiroth »

I think that that's a great idea! I would definitely go to that panel, and perhaps read some of my own poetry if there was time for others to read their poetry. I think he should go for it!
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Thank you all for your feedback so far, everyone. Sean'll be happy to hear there have been many postive replies. :)

One of his concerns is that, he was not sure how many people would be interested in this sort of thing, and he is concerned that, if he does do the panel, not many people would attend it?

Koinu, that's awesome you're a poet as well, & that you would come to the panel and read some of your work if there's time!! :D
ShadowWolf
Committed Poster

Post by ShadowWolf »

Well, I hope you get him to think about this idea and see if he can or cannot get this approved. It would be very nice to hear his work and hear him speak on writing. In addition, I'd love to share some of my own.
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Well, I can't guarantee whether or not he'll be approved until I have all the panel applications in and I know how many slots I'll have available after guest and industry panels, but there is certainly enough interest here that I'd give this poetry panel serious consideration.
"Dragonmaster" Lou Arruda
Panels Programming Coordinator 2008-2014
Programming Operations Staff 2015-2019
Autographs Staff 2022-

Doth thou desire the power?
My fist is the divine breath! Blossom, o fallen seed, and draw upon thy hidden powers!!
Grant unto thee the power of the glorious 'Mother of Destruction'!
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

[quote=ShadowWolf]Well, I hope you get him to think about this idea and see if he can or cannot get this approved. It would be very nice to hear his work and hear him speak on writing. In addition, I'd love to share some of my own.[/quote]

Hi, ShadowWolf, I told him this morning what you said in your posts (including your most recent one), and what everyone else has said so far, and we then started talking about length of time for the panel, etc., etc. Sooo...it looks like with all the positive feedback and everything (including my telling him I felt he should go for it), he said he will apply!!^_^

[quote=DragonmasterLou]Well, I can't guarantee whether or not he'll be approved until I have all the panel applications in and I know how many slots I'll have available after guest and industry panels, but there is certainly enough interest here that I'd give this poetry panel serious consideration.[/quote]

Thank you, Lou.^_^ Lou, I was wondering please, if you could help on figuring length of time for the panel so he'll know what to say on length of time for when he goes to fill out an application? Sean has 10 anime poems to read, and he wants to make sure there'll be enough time for people to ask questions if they have any, and also for those people who'd like to read some of their poetry. Would an hour and a half be enough time?

ShadowWolf
Committed Poster

Post by ShadowWolf »

Seems that time is always an issue, and the x factor to a panel. You should probably have him time himself and try to get him down to about 40 minutes. The other time would be entering / exiting, and and asking questions, making it an hour. I'm sure you can get him to around that.
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

[quote=ShadowWolf]Seems that time is always an issue, and the x factor to a panel. You should probably have him time himself and try to get him down to about 40 minutes. The other time would be entering / exiting, and and asking questions, making it an hour. I'm sure you can get him to around that.[/quote]

Would there be enough time, too, for those who would want to read some of their own poems, if the panel was an hour instead of an hour and a half?
ShadowWolf
Committed Poster

Post by ShadowWolf »

I'm sure you'll be able to find time for everything, but just keep it to as short as possible, that will leave enough time for others to read their own poems as well. And if it's undertime, I'm sure he could share some more with us too.
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Well, in general, unless you really show that you need the extra time, we do prefer that panels are limited to an hour (and by an "hour" we mean something more akin to 50-55 minutes to allow for setup and teardown time between panels). When he applies, perhaps you could mention 60 minutes as okay, but 90 preferred (there is a general "Other Information" field on the form for that purpose). That way, I don't have to worry about disqualifying his panel if I only have a 60 minute block available but I can still see if I can squeeze in a 90 minute block.

As ShadowWolf said, the best thing to do is have him pick some of his poems and time a reading of them. Perhaps he also could do some calculations on what the average length of time for a poem is so he can figure how much time to allocate to other readers.
Autographs Staff 2022-

My fist is the divine breath! Blossom, o fallen seed, and draw upon thy hidden powers!!
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Thank you very much for the advice, ShadowWolf and Lou. *bows appreciatively*

Yes, I'll definitely time him on reading his poems and see how long it takes him to read them. :)

Sean also asked me to ask another question RE the panel: would he be able to sell his poetry books at the panel? If not, it's alright, as he'll have our artist friend (who has been in the Dealers Room at AB for the past several years) sell it in the Dealers Room.
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

I believe that for legal and contractual reasons, he cannot sell his stuff at the panel. He'll either need to sell it in the Dealers' Room or Artists' Alley.

However, he is more than welcome to plug his books at the panel and tell people where they can purchase them.
Autographs Staff 2022-

Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

[quote=Dragonmaster Lou]I believe that for legal and contractual reasons, he cannot sell his stuff at the panel. He'll either need to sell it in the Dealers' Room or Artists' Alley.

However, he is more than welcome to plug his books at the panel and tell people where they can purchase them.[/quote]

OK, I kinda figured he wouldn't be able to sell his books at the panel. No biggie, we'll have our artist friend sell them in the Dealers Room. :)

I'll let him know, and also that he can plug his books at the panel.

Thank you much.^_^
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Hello, I apologize for the back-to-back posts, but, I wanted to post as a reminder for those who plan on attending the "Anime Forever: A Journey Into Poetry" panel, if you have any of your own material, please feel free to bring it with you so you can read it as well.^_^

Sean's panel has been accepted, and it will be on Saturday morning at 9:00AM. :)