cosplay panels

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
The Hag
Expert Poster

cosplay panels

Post by The Hag »

I'm starting this as a result of some posts in the suggestion thread. I think that it would be great if people interested in doing cosplay related panels could coordinate efforts via this forum. That way, panelists could avoid duplicating information in their panel applications (i.e. "Cosplay Tips and Tricks" and "Cosplay 101").

Also, panelists could help our friendly neighborhood Panel Coordinator by suggesting a logical order for the panels to take place. For example - Cosplay 101 might be on Friday. A lecture type intro to sewing or props Sat am, specific sewing/prop workshops Sat pm and Sun. Not to mention make-up, wigs, jewelry, etc. Workshops on stage presentation given before the Masquerade might even help people improve their skits for the actual show.

I know that cosplayers can't hog the whole program, and that the overall schedule has many variables that need to be taken into account, but I think it would be great if whatever slots do go to cosplay panels could be planned so that attendees get the most benefit from them.

The Hag now yields the floor to discussion...
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

cosplay panels

Post by kiarrens »

Man, I really wish I had time to help out with a few of the cosplay panels. :(
Seeing as how I don't, I'd like to put in my two cents towards the presentation panel. Teaching things like standing 3 quarters out would be helpful to know for those without a stage background... but I think more would have to be included, such as makeup techniques specifically for stage (the lights will wash you out if you apply makeup too subtly, but too much and you'll look like a clown).
If I were going to be involved with any panels it would be this one... I could also (finally) include a short tutorial on mixing audio for your presentation. This obviously wouldn't help those who will be in the masq. later that day, but it would help anyone who is considering skits for the next year, or other conventions which require pre-recorded dialogue.

The major issue (as it is with most panels, but this one in particular) is that the timing will have to be very closely monitored. Masq. rehearsal starts around 5pm and everyone will have to be there for that, so it'd have to be before 5... but too early, and you risk leaving some people out who had early morning judging for their masquerade costumes.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

cosplay panels

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

If we do have any cosplay related panels, the applications should mention what times they'll be unavailable (this year's form should be the same as last years and will have fields to add that info). You might also want to add a reminder to me in the application about potential conflicts with cosplaying. In exchange, I'll contact the masquerade staffers to get what all their schedules are and try to shift things around so that all cosplayers (or as many as possible) can make masquerade-related events.

Oh, and [color:red]please don't start sending applications for panels yet[/color]. I think last year's form is still online and "functional," but there are no guarantees that it'll even get to me. Wait until this year's form is online -- I promise to post here once everything is good to go.
"Dragonmaster" Lou Arruda
Panels Programming Coordinator 2008-2014
Programming Operations Staff 2015-2019
Autographs Staff 2022-

Doth thou desire the power?
My fist is the divine breath! Blossom, o fallen seed, and draw upon thy hidden powers!!
Grant unto thee the power of the glorious 'Mother of Destruction'!
Syagria
Obsessed Poster

cosplay panels

Post by Syagria »

I would be really interested in many of these panels! To be specific as to what I'd hope to see in some these...

Wigs: I was/am looking forward to checking out the "intermediate" wig tips from Leelee! The basic course was really helpful.

Makeup: There are a lot of types out there. What ones are good? How do you apply them? How do you set them so they last a whole day of conning? How can you create various effects, like blending colors?

Props: Wonderflex! I hear great things about it, but I'd like to see someone working with it right in front of me before I sink money into buying sheets of it. There is probably a lot more that could be done in this than time would allow for - fake gems, staffs, weapons, shields...
Anime Boston Cosplays:
14: Death
13: Wonder Woman, Kitsune
12: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Wonder Woman
11: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Princess Eries Aston
10: Princess Eries Aston, Zatanna
09: Hermes (1st Place Intermediate), Lotis Master Alice Seno
08: Haruhara Haruko, Sumomo, Lotis Master Alice Seno
07: Haruhara Haruko, R. Dorothy Wayneright
Crazy Flower
Determined Poster

cosplay panels

Post by Crazy Flower »

Seeing how it goes at AAC, I may apply to do my makeup panel at Anime Boston.

As for suggestions, I'd love to see a panel on props myself. (Hopefully, Cosworx will be back next year and you'll be able to buy some wonderflex, or at least be able to put a order in for it. If a sheet can be purchased, handing out samples for people to play with would be fun)

I'd also like to see a cosplay design panel. This would be a panel that shows how to get those designs to work. For example, how to use boning? Should you use foam to pad out a dress (or other parts), what materials to choose, etc.

The Hag
Expert Poster

cosplay panels

Post by The Hag »

[quote=Kiarrens]Man, I really wish I had time to help out with a few of the cosplay panels. :(
[/quote]

Well, one thing that I'm hoping is that this forum might be a way for people who want to run a panel but can't commit a ton of time to meet up with others who can share the task. For myself, I'm sort of coming to the conclusion that it takes more than one person to run a hands-on workshop. Reading through the Plushie workshop thread, I saw that they had 90 - NINETY! - people last year and more who wanted in O_O No way I can show 90 people how to applique by myself! ^_^

I admit - I've never been to a masquerade - but from what I hear, very basic info like, as long as the audience can see you, you should be in character, posing so that the judges can actually see you, etc. would be beneficial. I think that it would be a great workshop just to have some attendees go through skits and walk-ons and have the panelists give notes. My own stagecraft experience was minimal and years ago so I'm not qualified to run such a panel (besides - I'd rather sew!) but hopefully someone will apply to do one.

Which brings me to the same point that Lou made - he can only schedule panels that people volunteer to run. I'd love to go to a Wonderflex workshop! But who's going to run it? Crazy Flower - I know that you're a cosplay.com member. Anyone else? Should we start a thread in the AB forum there to see if other people are interested in running panels?

Crazy Flower - can you tell me more about what kind of costume design you'd like to see? I'm guessing you mean things like corsets and petticoats? Can you name some specific characters? I'd appreciate it! Is AAC your first time doing a panel? Kick some make-up butt!
Crazy Flower
Determined Poster

cosplay panels

Post by Crazy Flower »

I'm thinking of it this way: Consider Sora , how would someone go about making the shape for the shorts, what about proper shoe shape? (Shoe covers should also be considered in the workshop)

If the costume looks flat, it won't look as good. Of course, this could also go into making a dress-form and how things fall along it.
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

cosplay panels

Post by LadyHawke »

[quote=Dragonmaster Lou]In exchange, I'll contact the masquerade staffers to get what all their schedules are and try to shift things around so that all cosplayers (or as many as possible) can make masquerade-related events.[/quote]

This I can do. It will not be precise YET, since I won't have a schedule fine-tuned until closer to the con, but i'll work with you.

The tightest day schedule-wise for cosplayers will be Saturday, so putting a majority of the cosplay panels on Friday might work better. Judging times are scattered throughout Friday.

[quote=The Hag]I admit - I've never been to a masquerade - but from what I hear, very basic info like, as long as the audience can see you, you should be in character, posing so that the judges can actually see you, etc. would be beneficial. I think that it would be a great workshop just to have some attendees go through skits and walk-ons and have the panelists give notes.[/quote]

This is actually a wonderful idea for a panel. Like, a "Masquerade 101" type session where attendees are told what to expect and what kind of preparations to make for their first Masquerade. Panelists could include former judges or experienced cosplayers. I'd love to help with something like this, but I will not have time to get away for a panel during the con...
~~ Jeni
2012 Guest Relations Division - Green Room Staff

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get Permission" -- RADM Grace Murray Hopper - U.S. Navy
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

cosplay panels

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=Crazy Flower]I'd love to see a panel on props myself. [/quote]

I don't know for sure, but I'd think that Morlock would be all over that.

[quote=Crazy Flower]If a sheet [of wonderflex] can be purchased, handing out samples for people to play with would be fun)
[/quote]

There's one major issue with this. You need heat to work with wonderflex. The easiest way to do this is with heat guns, and there's no way AB would want to be held liable for someone burning themselves during a panel.
However, a demonstration could certainly be arranged. I've been doing most of my prop work with wonderflex lately, and while I doubt I could attend the entire panel, if whoever decides to run it would have me, I'd show up for 10-15 minutes with some props, a heat gun and some base materials and go over the technique. I don't think Morlock uses wonderflex, the panel I attended that he ran at Otakon concentrated on fiberglass builds and wood.
Lyndsey Luther
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Crazy Flower
Determined Poster

cosplay panels

Post by Crazy Flower »

I've never been to Morlock's panel, (I'm usually being judged or doing a photoshoot or something) but I thought most of his things were Cosplay 101 and stuff. I don't think he ever got into major prop details. Now if he could, it would be awesome.

There is the heat problem, sure, but maybe the samples could be given at the end of the workshop. Have a demo of what can be done with it. This way they can go home or wherever and play with it there. (I don't suggest this, but the hotel blow driers do work. It has helped for last minute stuff).

If the scheduling worked, I wouldn't mind helping out with the Masq 101. I've learned some things about being backstage with big costumes.
The Hag
Expert Poster

cosplay panels

Post by The Hag »

[quote=ladyhawke78]
Like, a "Masquerade 101" type session where attendees are told what to expect and what kind of preparations to make for their first Masquerade. [/quote]

I just dug out my AB 2007 program and apparently there was a "Masquerade 101" panel. Who knew? ^_^ Don't know if the organizers will apply to run it again. Same goes with the "Cosplay 101"

[quote=Crazy Flower]I've never been to Morlock's panel, (I'm usually being judged or doing a photoshoot or something) but I thought most of his things were Cosplay 101 and stuff.[/quote]

Yeah, see this is something I'd like to deal with here too if it's possible. In my current sewing panel presentation, I spend some time talking about choosing a costume, finding and analyzing reference images and where to find supplies. Also how to get stuff cheap. If there is some other panel that's going to cover this stuff, I can easily cut it out and spend more time on actual sewing info.

It would be fun to to do a Cosplay for Cheapsakes panel with some other people. Talk about where to get cheap supplies (I know a lot about this!), cheap costumes because the characters just wear normal clothes, cardboard props, found objects. Get the audience to participate - not quite as minimal as Iron Cosplay, sort of the same thing but with the goal of coming up with something that is acutally wearable. Just sort of thinking aloud here....^_^

Anyway - hopefully the discussion will continue!

Crazy Flower
Determined Poster

cosplay panels

Post by Crazy Flower »

Well, I put in my application for the cosplay makeup panel. So hopefully it gets accepted. If it does, what would people like to see? (I have a general idea, and hopefully I would like to expand on that, especially after AAC when I run it for the first time)

My thing is though, If I'm doing demo's I'll probably have to have a waiver form of some sort.
The Hag
Expert Poster

cosplay panels

Post by The Hag »

Yay! I'm glad you applied. Because I'm totally clueless about make-up, I'd be interested in the real basics - what kind of make-up should you wear for a "normal" character? How should you do make-up differently for walking around the hall as opposed to for a masquerade? Also make-up for FtoM crossplay.

So, I put in applications for two sewing panels - one for complete beginners and one covering fabric selection and pattern alterations in a bit more detail. Of course, scheduling is up to the Dragonmaster - but my thoughts were that if there's room in the program for two sewing panels, and someone else wants to do a sewing basics, I'd just do the second one (or the inverse). If there's only room for an intro course, I'm happy to join forces. If there's no sewing panels in the program - no hard feelings, Lou! ^_^

I opted not to shoot for a hands-on workshop. Frankly, the thought of running a workshop for 90 peeps is daunting. Maybe by next year I can train my sweatshop labor - oh, uh, I mean my kids and their friends - as assistants and test it out at some of the smaller cons first.
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

cosplay panels

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=The Hag]Also make-up for FtoM crossplay.
[/quote]
This would be nice to see in the panel, but in the meantime, there's a great thread on it someplace in the cosplay.com forums.... I'll look around and see if I can find it again.
[quote=Crazy Flower] If it does, what would people like to see? [/quote]
As I said earlier, I'd like to see techniques for scar tissue and wounds. }:|
Lyndsey Luther
Attendee 2003 - 2009

ShadowWolf
Committed Poster

cosplay panels

Post by ShadowWolf »

Too bad there's only soo much time in a day.

So much could go into a cosplay panel, but granting that your time is limited, it's too bad that you can only cram in so much in so little time.

I'm sure many first timers would enjoy this panel, esp.
The Hag
Expert Poster

cosplay panels

Post by The Hag »

Looks like the Guerrilla Sewing panel is a go for late Friday afternoon (at the moment). I'd be happy to hear from anyone else who will be doing a cosplay related panel - especially "101" overview panels - so that I can avoid topics that someone else plans to cover.

@Lou - please feel free to forward my contact info to any panelist who you think might be interested. Thanks!
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

cosplay panels

Post by LadyHawke »

@Jackie:

Is "Iron Cosplay" happening this year?
~~ Jeni

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get Permission" -- RADM Grace Murray Hopper - U.S. Navy
putrocca
AB Alumni

cosplay panels

Post by putrocca »

Yes, I believe Iron Cosplay is happening, but Lauren's the one you should talk to about it, she's overseeing it as part of Gameshows.
Ada "K-san" Anime Boston Cosplay Games Coordinator
Cosplay Chess - Anime Dating Game - Cosplot - All Sorts of Ways to Make Cosplayers Happy
R.I.P. Anime Boston's K-san, devoured by zombies on Aizen's orders, at Cosplay Chess 2012. Team Evil will pay!
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

cosplay panels

Post by LadyHawke »

Really? Jackie Lavache usualy does this panel-- unless she's handed it off because she will be too busy with Reg. (not what she is in an Exec. role.)
~~ Jeni

putrocca
AB Alumni

cosplay panels

Post by putrocca »

[quote=ladyhawke78]Really? Jackie Lavache usualy does this panel-- unless she's handed it off because she will be too busy with Reg. (not what she is in an Exec. role.)[/quote]

Exactly, Jackie's handed off oversight of it to Lauren on account of being too busy with other duties. I believe she's still involved in planning it, and I know they've been in touch, but for details you'd have to ask Lauren.
Ada "K-san" Anime Boston Cosplay Games Coordinator
Cosplay Chess - Anime Dating Game - Cosplot - All Sorts of Ways to Make Cosplayers Happy
R.I.P. Anime Boston's K-san, devoured by zombies on Aizen's orders, at Cosplay Chess 2012. Team Evil will pay!
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

cosplay panels

FYI, Iron Cosplay is currently scheduled for Friday at 5:30. Of course, this is subject to change up until con weekend. :)
Autographs Staff 2022-

My fist is the divine breath! Blossom, o fallen seed, and draw upon thy hidden powers!!
ladylaurajones
Getting the hang of this...

cosplay panels

Post by ladylaurajones »

I wish I had seen this a couple months ago! Woops!
Well just wanted to let everyone know that I am running a panel on my senior undregrad. thesis work on Japanese cosplay. I'm going to compare and contrast the results from my research in Harajuku and my research here in the states. Basically this means talking about cosplay as a subculture response to a strictly regimented society (Japan) and carrying over as a secondary index to a society that is far less regimented but also still containing stressors on its youth (the US).
But don't worry, I won't swamp everyone with jargon and silly terms that only anthropologists use. (like above where I just did. lol)
I intend to make this a fan-friendly panel where we talk about how great it is that cosplay has taken root both in Japan and overseas, and how different subdivisions of cosplay-style culture develop: AKA visual kei, lolita, gothloli, etc. etc.
Please let me know if there is anything you would like me to specifically address in my panel, and I will try to fit it in with my powerpoint, video, and lecture.

Many thanks!
Crazy Flower
Determined Poster

cosplay panels

Post by Crazy Flower »

Seems my makeup panel was approved after all. Right now, it's in Ballroom C on Friday @ 9AM.
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

cosplay panels

[quote=Crazy Flower]Seems my makeup panel was approved after all. Right now, it's in Ballroom C on Friday @ 9AM. [/quote]

Make that Saturday at 9. The email script sent out the wrong day, sorry...
Autographs Staff 2022-

Crazy Flower
Determined Poster

cosplay panels

Post by Crazy Flower »

Even Better! Doesn't matter, I'm still able to make it.
The Hag
Expert Poster

cosplay panels

Post by The Hag »

Yay! I should be able to make it (I'm an early riser and hopefully there won't have to be anywhere else I need to be).

Ladylaura - sounds really interesting. I would definitely like to hear about differences between cosplay here and in Japan (and other countries as well). Hopefully I'll be able to make it to your panel as well.

Lou - can you tell me if someone is doing a Cosplay 101 panel? You don't have to name names, :) , but it would help me know if I can leave some things out.
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

cosplay panels

There doesn't seem to be any kind of cosplay 101 panel on the schedule.
Autographs Staff 2022-

Crazy Flower
Determined Poster

cosplay panels

Post by Crazy Flower »

Because I don't think it warrants a new thread, I'm gonna put it here.

I'm gonna need a volunteer or 2 for my cosplay makeup panel. I get to show some techniques to people, and you get your makeup done for the day (The panel's on Sat morning) I have release forms, just in case. If you are interested, and have allergies, it would be helpful to know so I don't put anything on your face that would break you out.

If you are interested, reply here or pt, or whatever.
ladylaurajones

cosplay panels

Post by ladylaurajones »

Thanks! Hope to see you there.
ladylaurajones

cosplay panels

Post by ladylaurajones »

Have you found someone to help you with this yet? I might be able to snatch a friend who could help you out. normally I would jump to volunteer myself but I am going as Kaylee from Firefly (along with some other crewmembers) and can't really wear makeup....
Let me know, and I can ask my friend Julia to help you out if need be. She loves cosplay and I'm sure you could put any makeup on her and she'd be ok with it.
Crazy Flower
Determined Poster

cosplay panels

Post by Crazy Flower »

I hadn't heard of anyone actually confirming that they needed it; only people saying they were interested. If your friend is interested, let me know what she would like to be done.

I promise, I'm gentle.