Panel about Webnovel impact on Anime

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
kazesenken
Experienced Poster

Panel about Webnovel impact on Anime

Post by kazesenken »

Hello, I submitted a panel that was planning to go through how amateur writing (in the form of webnovels) in Japan have impacted Anime in recent years. There has been a big cultural boom in online publishing that has made a large impact on the type of genres and themes that we see popular now. Many popular series started off with a simple idea and very rough writing that was posted online.

My question is: How much interest is there in the anime community in knowing about this?

I plan to talk about how this boom came to be, what themes are popularized and made into anime, and some of the silly tropes that amateur writers use over and over again. Furthermore, I hoped to touch on how this has, in turn, influenced the type of writing outside of Japan. Do we see common themes worldwide? Can we ever hope to see English writing come to life in animation?

Please give me your thoughts. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to dive into this topic at AB this year.

Edited: Panel got accepted!
Last edited by kazesenken on Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Re: Panel about Webnovel impact on Anime

Post by H. Guderian »

Its a fair topic, as you have mega hits like One Punch Man. And I recall there was a big fuss about a rather middle of the road web comic that made it success. Even fan animators posting little animations online could use a whole panel. It is certainly a worthy topic.

If I were hosting such a panel my main worry would be the sheer number of gaps due to the high volume. It would always be in the back of my mind I'd miss something. Maybe the research of such a topic will lead you to many valuable side topics. Learning is fun. SO is teaching. Good luck.
kazesenken
Experienced Poster

Post by kazesenken »

For this particular panel, I'll be focusing on amateur writing that lead to anime. There's a surprising number of them that you wouldn't realize. For example, Re:Zero and Shield Hero are two big names that started off as a simple web-based publication.

My main focus in the slides that I have made so far are to give a glimpse of how amateur writing such as this came to be popular and what common ideas the industry appears to latch onto. Lastly, I pose the question - Can you write a webnovel that's just as good as these hits? From my research, the answer is yes, it's very possible...but...

Hopefully, this panel will give people an idea of the blooming culture of writing that is happening around anime-themed ideas and give them a sense of where to go to for fostering their own stories.
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

Out of all the web-based productions Novels are ones I have the least knowledge in. Certainly a topic that needs some exploring.