Panel Feedback 2007

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by Eilonnwy »

Once again, I'd like to ask for panel feedback. Anything from general compliments and suggestions to complaints. You can mention a specific panel, the panels in general, from how they were at con and how the panel requesting, accepting, and scheduling was handled pre-con.

tmchiba
Veteran Poster

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by tmchiba »

The good:
I though the panel lineup was spectacular to the point that several times, there were panels at the same time I would have definately both gone to see if they were seperate. (This is not a criticism, as I would prefer to have too much to go to and have to make choices than to have too little.) The abundance of programming was awesome. There can always be new additions, tweaks et cetera, but that's just the way things go. I was pleased with the pre-panel process as well.

The potentially bad, but not really, and maybe actually a good..:
This may be more a personal quirk, regarding interests, but it seemed that during main events, it was harder to find panel events to go to. That was more a sense than actuality since I know there would be 3 or more even during the major ones each hour, and I realize that staff are drawn into the main events to provide additional coverage which may leave fewer free for supporting events. I don't see as a necessary negative though, because after all, if something really good was going on people might feel bad for missing it while at the other event, but it's always a tradeoff.

Overall I've been highly pleased in the process as a panelist, and as a panel attendee.

Jayveemon
Experienced Poster

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by Jayveemon »

I thought the line up was great actually the only iffy thing for me was to get to me panel you had to walk down the hall and around the corner from the sign for it and then into a room to go to a door to another room to get there and I feel some people may have not come because they couldn't find it. :-s Other than that AB2007 was awesome though I am upset I missed the plushie panel but that's offtopic lol.
bipthefool
Getting the hang of this...

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by bipthefool »

I think a few should have gone longer. The Bad Anime! Bad! was just great.
DragonPup
Experienced Poster

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by DragonPup »

[quote=bipthefool]I think a few should have gone longer. The Bad Anime! Bad! was just great. [/quote]

I blame 4chan. 'Bad Anime, Bad!' was hilarious.
Shralla
Expert Poster

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by Shralla »

I absolutely loved both the World and Character Creation panels. The people running them really knew their stuff, and it was obvious through their speeches and conversations with the audience that they do this stuff A LOT, and think about it A LOT. A++++
hikura
Veteran Poster

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by hikura »

My feedback is as follows.Most of it is good no negative feedback but a few suggestions.
I liked the panels i went(and saw a few that i wanted to go to but conflicted with either another panel or something else).
My suggestions coincides with my suggestion for the autographing sessions for the guest.If we moved the live gaming area to a different area the artist alley and panel a(in ballroom a) could use the extra room.This way not only the popular panels(hentai dubbing among them) but the artist alley would benfit from the extra room.
My other suggestion is as follows.If say a panel starts at 9 am and runs to 10 am.Then the next panel should start say 15 minutes after that.This would give time for the room to be cleared if need be plus it would give time for the next panel to set up.So the next panel would start at say 1015 and run to 1115 and the panel after would start at 1130 and run to 1230.So on and so on.You get the idea.
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by Eilonnwy »

[quote=tmchiba] there were panels at the same time I would have definately both gone to see if they were seperate. (This is not a criticism, as I would prefer to have too much to go to and have to make choices than to have too little.) [/quote]

Unfortunately there are way to many things to consider when scheduling and conflicts will happen no matter what. Nothing will change that.

[quote]
This may be more a personal quirk, regarding interests, but it seemed that during main events, it was harder to find panel events to go to. That was more a sense than actuality since I know there would be 3 or more even during the major ones each hour, and I realize that staff are drawn into the main events to provide additional coverage which may leave fewer free for supporting events. I don't see as a necessary negative though, because after all, if something really good was going on people might feel bad for missing it while at the other event, but it's always a tradeoff.
[/quote]

It's not more of a staff problem as it is a panelist problem. Many panelists simply don't want their panels against main events, or they are involved in main events like chess, masquerade or AMVs. I try to be as accommodating as I can to the panelist as they are providing a service to the convention. I try to balance the schedule out as best as possible, but things like these happen. I'm not blaming the panelist, just explaining why Sunday and Saturday night tend to be a little bare. There is also the fact that panel programming doesn't run as late as other program. I like to wrap most of it up by 10 at the latest with the exception of a few 18+ events. Because the staff do need a break.

[quote]I think a few should have gone longer. The Bad Anime! Bad! was just great.[/quote]

Actually the panelist originally requested an hour but then asked for more when he noticed the empty half hour between 4chan and the end of his panel.

[quote]My suggestions coincides with my suggestion for the autographing sessions for the guest.If we moved the live gaming area to a different area the artist alley and panel a(in ballroom a) could use the extra room.This way not only the popular panels(hentai dubbing among them) but the artist alley would benfit from the extra room.[/quote]

The assignment of my rooms is not actually handled by me. I was very satisfied with my increase in panel rooms, their general size, and added A/V tech.

[quote]My other suggestion is as follows.If say a panel starts at 9 am and runs to 10 am.Then the next panel should start say 15 minutes after that.This would give time for the room to be cleared if need be plus it would give time for the next panel to set up.So the next panel would start at say 1015 and run to 1115 and the panel after would start at 1130 and run to 1230.So on and so on.You get the idea.[/quote]

Unfortunately that's not a feasible idea. If we did this it would effectively decrease the number of panels I could schedule during the day and make scheduling a lot more confusing. For the most part panelists are mindful of the panel afterwards. It's inevitable that conflicts arrive and something causes something else to be late. But I'd rather some panel's run late than loose 1/4 of my programming, because I'm sure the 1/4 of the people I would be required to deny would rather run late than not at all.

I have tried to enforce the five minute rule in which I request panelists to plan 50 minutes of program for an hour long panel and save five minutes at the beginning and end for seating/setup and cleanup/clear. Not all panelists respect that rule and there's nothing I can do about it. I can't be there to enforce. I also ask for panelists to consider setup time in the time they request for their panel if they know their setup is more involved.

Thanks for the feedback.
tmchiba
Veteran Poster

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by tmchiba »

[quote=Eilonnwy][quote=tmchiba] there were panels at the same time I would have definately both gone to see if they were seperate. (This is not a criticism, as I would prefer to have too much to go to and have to make choices than to have too little.) [/quote]

Unfortunately there are way to many things to consider when scheduling and conflicts will happen no matter what. Nothing will change that.

[quote]
[/quote]

It's not more of a staff problem as it is a panelist problem. Many panelists simply don't want their panels against main events, or they are involved in main events like chess, masquerade or AMVs. I try to be as accommodating as I can to the panelist as they are providing a service to the convention. I try to balance the schedule out as best as possible, but things like these happen. I'm not blaming the panelist, just explaining why Sunday and Saturday night tend to be a little bare. There is also the fact that panel programming doesn't run as late as other program. I like to wrap most of it up by 10 at the latest with the exception of a few 18+ events. Because the staff do need a break.
[/quote]

All makes sense. :) Of course on the first point I was saying it in a complimentary sense to say that if anything there was great options a lot, which is to be commended. Overall a great lineup. :thumbup:
hikura
Veteran Poster

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by hikura »

Well my idea i thought was good because i found that there was alot less panel material to do later on in the day.I figured this would spread out panels to help fill out the schedule a bit more hence why offered that idea.Plus i offered the idea for exapanding panel a because the popular panels could help out with more seats.
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by Eilonnwy »

[quote=hikura]Well my idea i thought was good because i found that there was alot less panel material to do later on in the day.I figured this would spread out panels to help fill out the schedule a bit more hence why offered that idea.Plus i offered the idea for exapanding panel a because the popular panels could help out with more seats.[/quote]

That goes back to my first post in which I explained that getting programming against events like the masquerade and amvs, which happen late at night is difficult. This year I also had the Cherry to contend with that people want to go to. Plus late at night there are less panels so staffers can rest.

As far as seats go, it's always hard to determine the exact popularity of a panel, but I try my best with past panels based on demographics. Every year we need to get bigger, as the convention continues to grow. ^_^ We'll see how next years layout pans out.
Majik
AB Staff

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by Majik »

[quote=Jayveemon]Other than that AB2007 was awesome though I am upset I missed the plushie panel but that's offtopic lol.[/quote]

Not necessarily off-topic. Once the staff has recovered, I plan to open up discussion on how to best accomodate the massive amounts of people that want to attend this event (especially on Saturday), so your input here or in the Plushie Feedback thread would definitely be appreciated. Even impractical ideas can start the ball rolling on a better solution. ;)
Charity Auction MC since forever
Panelist supreme - Will host ANYTHING <3
Artists' Alley - come visit MajikCraft and maybe buy something!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MajikCraft
hikura
Veteran Poster

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by hikura »

I understand your point but at the same time a lot of people do not want to go to either amv's or the masquerade.Can say a good chunk of them do not.Just saying for those people who don't go.
Jayveemon
Experienced Poster

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by Jayveemon »

The only reason I couldn't attend was because I was waiting for my table and then stuffing my face at the Cheesecake Factory XD
kuroneko¿
Veteran Poster

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by kuroneko¿ »

[quote=hikura]Well my idea i thought was good because i found that there was alot less panel material to do later on in the day.I figured this would spread out panels to help fill out the schedule a bit more hence why offered that idea.Plus i offered the idea for exapanding panel a because the popular panels could help out with more seats.[/quote]

It's true. I know my group never goes to the masquerade at any con. We just aren't that interested. *shrug*

There were quite a lot of really interesting panels going on, unfortunately the ones that I went to were kind of ruined for me by the crowd more than anything else. And there really isn't anything that the staff can do about keeping idiots out of panels so....

Anyway, a thumbs up for having lots of options. And here's to hopes that you have more next year so that I can amuse myself when not attending the huge events.
SalemNinja
Experienced Poster

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by SalemNinja »

Okay, you aksed for it.

The Good;
"Adapting Anime for the US"- interesting panel, well run.

"Bad Anime, Bad!"- awesomely bad anime with very humurous commentary by the presentor. am looking forward to it next year.

"Ninja; Myths meet Reality"- very good. kept on topic even with silly questions.

Voice Actor's panels- this was the first year we made it to these. I found them to be very fun. One suggestion for the little fangirls though, don't waste everybody's time by asking stupid questions like, "Will you marry me?" and "What do you think of Lust in a miniskirt?" There's not enough time at these panels to waste with dumb stuff like that.

The Bad;
"American Animation"- the program guide made this sound like a discussion of what's good in american animation. Sadly, three guys from the audience were allowed to monopolise the entire discussion. And there was no mention of good US animation. A complete waste of time.

"Evolution of Comics"- listed as an "open discussion on the directions comics have come from and are headed." Instead we got an hour of Emily DeJesus name dropping and Robert DeJesus dissing another artist. There was almost no talk of comics, and certainly nothing remotely resembling the "directions comics have come from and are heading."
Needless to say, I shall never go to another panel led by the DeJesus's. I expected a lot more from supposed professionals.

The AMV's- Let me say that I appreciate all the work (and artistic vision) that goes into making an AMV. Last year's AMV's were amazing. This year it was like slow torture. I sat through 11 of them before finally getting to a good one. Out of 30 videos I only liked 4 of them. I realize everyone has different tastes, I generally don't care for the romance ones, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a well-made video.
My biggest complaint is this, if you can't find 6 really good videos for each category, then just put in what you've got. That is, if there's only 3 good action ones, then just have 3 good action ones.
And if you have more than one video featuring the same anime (or game), please do not have them right after one another. You had 2 Chrono Crusade AMV's back to back. Not to mention 4 FMA ones and 3 FFVII ones. And the 3 FFVII ones had almost all of the same scenes, I felt like I saw the same video 3 times!
Also, work on putting them in the proper categories. The FFVII video in Drama had more action than one of the ones in Action (and visa versa). Not to mention the Wolves of Mibu one which wasn't funny in the least.

I know there are always going to be good panels and not-so-good ones. I'm hoping the good outweigh the bad next year.
The good panels had people who had a clear vision of what they wanted to talk about and were able to keep on track by ignoring stupid questions.
The bad ones had no clear vision of what they were supposed to be about and allowed long-winded and/or stupid questions that went off topic.
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by MerchMaven »

[quote=Lychee1968]

The AMV's- Let me say that I appreciate all the work (and artistic vision) that goes into making an AMV. Last year's AMV's were amazing. This year it was like slow torture. I sat through 11 of them before finally getting to a good one. Out of 30 videos I only liked 4 of them. I realize everyone has different tastes, I generally don't care for the romance ones, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a well-made video.
And if you have more than one video featuring the same anime (or game), please do not have them right after one another. You had 2 Chrono Crusade AMV's back to back. Not to mention 4 FMA ones and 3 FFVII ones. And the 3 FFVII ones had almost all of the same scenes, I felt like I saw the same video 3 times!
Also, work on putting them in the proper categories. The FFVII video in Drama had more action than one of the ones in Action (and visa versa). Not to mention the Wolves of Mibu one which wasn't funny in the least.

[/quote]

I'm sure particular concerns could be better answered in the AMV thread, however...

Multiple videos having the same footage. This is wicked annoying. However, do you disqualify every video that has the same footage as another one that's entered? Do you put in the first one that is shown? Do you pick the best, or what you think is the best, and how do you know that you haven't been tainted by watching NINE or so FF:AC vids? Is the ninth the best? The first? It's very hard to seporate your annoyance with the repetition from the actual hard work and skill that went into the production of the video.

Also, I believe that videos are put in the catagory that they are entered in. If a creator enters a video as comedy, unless it's five minutes of people getting stabbed in a glaringly unfunny manner, then it goes in as a comedy, and is judged in that catagory.

If you want more specific answers, I'm sure the AMV forum would help with that. 8)

Kerry Walker
Anime Boston Merch Manager, 2006-2019
Anime Boston Security, 2004-2006
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by dokool »

[quote=SciFiGrl47]Multiple videos having the same footage. This is wicked annoying. However, do you disqualify every video that has the same footage as another one that's entered? Do you put in the first one that is shown? Do you pick the best, or what you think is the best, and how do you know that you haven't been tainted by watching NINE or so FF:AC vids? Is the ninth the best? The first? It's very hard to seporate your annoyance with the repetition from the actual hard work and skill that went into the production of the video.[/quote]

As an editor I can assure you that very little real work and skill went into any of the FFVII:AC vids. They were all cookie-cutter as far as I'm concerned. That said Lychee1968 is incredibly misguided if she couldn't appreciate Fun/Upbeat or even one of the Drama vids, as at least two of those were of decent quality.

After the AMV Panel we (the panelists) and Adam and Lupa got into a discussion about the Advent Children glut this year (literally, they got about a dozen) - apparently before the prescreening, they decided that the qualifying factors for the AC vids would be based on whether they used certain scenes. Then they watched all the videos, and they all used those scenes. This is what happens when you have 90 minutes of footage to use and not a single original idea of what to do with them.

Honestly, this happens every year when there's a "hot" source - when Naruto came out there were an ass-ton of bad Naruto vids, same with Bleach, and now same w/ FFVII:AC. Hopefully next year there won't be a source like that and there will be more variety. That all depends on how effectively Adam promotes the contest, given that it's going to be a month earlier in 08.
Sean

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by Sean »

Although it would've been nice to see some Battels, the Kaiju Press Conference/Panel was pretty epic. And having Kaiju correspondants Louden Noxious and The Beav participating in the Anime Song Panel won me and my friends over.

That was good.

Then theres the bad...

The first one didn't happen to me, but happened to someone else, we heard about it the day after.

Apparently someone was recording themselves for the Hentai dub panel, and some staffer came and forcefuly ripped his badge off of him and told him to leave. He had his girlfriend with him and she had no idea how to get to where they were staying (or something therabouts, memory isn't really working in my favor tonight) and they told him since he couldn't go back in without a badge that she was "out of luck" Thankfuly it was all taken care of, the guy who was incharge of the panel even said it was alright if he recorded and the person in question (The guy dressed as Space Ghost) was able to enjoy the rest of the con.

Now first off I'm aware that the staffers have to do their job, but ripping someone's badge? Nnnnnot really showing good face. Plus from what I hear the staffer was making a bit of a scene about it.

In my humble opinion, if someone's recording something from a con, it's usually for the memories. He wasn't doing it for any profit, and as I previously stated, the guy incharge of the panel was alright with it.

That's the biggest problem I have on my plate.

The smaller issue was that when I showed the guy at the door to the panel (which stated I was born in 1987, making me 19 years old), he almost didn't let me in 'cause he read the ID wrong which left me kinda miffed.
jnik
Show-off

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by jnik »

[quote=Sean]Now first off I'm aware that the staffers have to do their job, but ripping someone's badge? Nnnnnot really showing good face. Plus from what I hear the staffer was making a bit of a scene about it.[/quote]
As usual, second hand info ain't all that reliable...

The badge wasn't "ripped off". That's 30-mil plastic; the lanyards would break first and it would take a lot of force. I asked to see the badge, unclipped it, and had the person come with me to the back of the room, where I had an orange shirt escort him to Security HQ. Stop the taping, get the guy out, talk it out in security instead of in the panel--to my mind, the opposite of "making a scene."

Now, unclipping the badge myself was a bad idea--those things are hard to get off the lanyard and when the other end's around the neck that can't be comfortable. I should have asked it to be handed to me, and I'm sorry I didn't.

The second mistake I made was in not going down to security myself right away to close the loop; I was actually in the room to try and find two of my staffers and I stuck to look for them before going down to check with the head of security. That resulted in some confusion. Once I got down there (maybe five minutes later) I offered to take the attendee back up to the room to find his friends. It turns out they had come down looking for him and we ran into them right outside of security.

If somebody involved wants to talk to me, I take private topics and that contact form goes straight to me for a couple more weeks.

In general, though: we're working on an event filming/photography policy to make crystal clear what's okay and what isn't (one can generally assume that filming copyrighted material off a screen isn't). And I'm sorry if I disrupted the panel for anyone...I'm a pretty sizeable guy and can't do much with catlike grace, especially when I've been going on four hours of sleep :)
Ianny

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by Ianny »

[quote=Lychee1968]Okay, you aksed for it.

The Bad;
"American Animation"- the program guide made this sound like a discussion of what's good in american animation. Sadly, three guys from the audience were allowed to monopolise the entire discussion. And there was no mention of good US animation. A complete waste of time.
[/quote]

I was one of the panelists for this one, so I'll give this one a quick response. This was our first time doing the American Animation panel at Anime Boston after a one year break, so we were a little rusty to say the least. In future panels, we do not plan on letting four people answer all the questions. Honestly, we were a bit blown away by the Industry Professionals that were there, as we had never had any of them show up before. We like having an open, back and forth discussion between audience and panelist, and I apologize if you did not feel this was the case with this one. We'll certainly try harder next time to give the audience what they expect from the panel description.

Sean

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by Sean »

[quote=jnik]
In general, though: we're working on an event filming/photography policy to make crystal clear what's okay and what isn't (one can generally assume that filming copyrighted material off a screen isn't). And I'm sorry if I disrupted the panel for anyone...I'm a pretty sizeable guy and can't do much with catlike grace, especially when I've been going on four hours of sleep :)[/quote]

Hmm. Well if this is generaly possible when it comes to a dubbing panel, have someone with...I dunno a laptop? Or something thereabouts (with the consent
of the person incharge naturally) linking the micophones to record the voice talents, then take the voicless version of a clip and put that audio over the voiceless clip.

'Cause I know if there's people out there with memories of what they recorded word for word off the top of their head (which is pretty bad mind you) and they have friends (of legal age if by chance the clip IS too risque)that they wanna tell about their super-cool dubbing moment. But they can't remember their funniest line.

So if there was some way to put those voices onto a program then mix them with the video, maybe even make a DVD or something of it for people who attended the panel of course with the consent of the panel owner and owner of the footage. Then there'd be no fuss, no muss, nomisunderstandings.

I'm just saying is all.

EDIT: To sum things up, if there's a way to legitimatly record people's performances for a dub panel, then rock on.
Last edited by Sean on Tue May 01, 2007 2:33 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Summing things up incase I lost anyone.
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

[quote=Eilonnwy]Once again, I'd like to ask for panel feedback. Anything from general compliments and suggestions to complaints. You can mention a specific panel, the panels in general, from how they were at con and how the panel requesting, accepting, and scheduling was handled pre-con.
[/quote]

I wanted to say I really loved Bad Anime Bad, that was great!! :D I laughed so much, and I know I'm repeating myself from the thread I started about this panel, but, I literally had tears streaming down my face at one point, and I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it down the escalator, I was still laughing.^_^ I hope it returns next year. :D

I also had lots of fun in the Asian Brushpainting Workshop on Sunday. I found it fascinating, and I enjoyed trying it.^_^

I didn't want to double-post in Robert & Emily DeJesus' thread in the Guests Of Honor forum (I wasn't sure if double-posting is allowed), but, my boyfriend greatly appreciated Emily's help RE his anime poetry book he is wrking on (we went to Emily's Small Press Publishing panel).

One panel I didn't get to go to was Between The Lines: Western Symbolism In Anime, but, I hope it comes back next year so I can get the opportunity to go to it then. :)
dizzy guymelef

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by dizzy guymelef »

wasnt able to make any panels, but heard no complaints of boreedom, rudeness or anything. and heard iron cos was a hit, as usual.
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by DocWatson »

My feedback:

• Nadia Hemedy ("Rock and Romance: Shoujo Manga of the 1960s", "Moe: The Otaku Obsession") should be allowed to do whatever she wants—she gives good panel. As does Jennifer Yoo.

• I would love to see a return of the "Asian Film Licensing & Marketing" from 2006—the gentleman who did that was both excellent and very informative, and I'm sorry I did not comment on that last year.

• Unfortunately, I ran into two examples of slight rudeness from staff members, both in similar situations: I went to the head of a line which either did not know was for the panel I wanted to attend (the panel was supposed to have already started, and there are multiple rooms off each alcove) or which I did not know existed (since the line ran in the opposite direct from which I had come). I believe I spoke politely to the staffer who was at each of the rooms, but in each case they were a bit snippy despite (what I believe to have been) my obvious ignorance. I realize that they were (only) volunteers and had probably answered the same questions many times prior to my appearance in front of them, but (IMHO) it is exactly at these times that politeness is most required.
Majik
AB Staff

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by Majik »

[quote=Jayveemon]The only reason I couldn't attend was because I was waiting for my table and then stuffing my face at the Cheesecake Factory XD[/quote]
*heh* I can't blame you for that, I <3's Cheesecake Factory. *hmm, maybe next year, the entrance fee will be $10 OR cheesecake..*
But always remember: Plushie Workshop runs every day at Anime Boston *time, space, and the new panel coordinator willing;) * and Majik CAN be bribed with cheesecake....

And to keep this better on topic, I've some feedback for another panelist: It seems that the scholarly fellow who runs the FanFic critiquing *and a few other events, I believe?*, is leaving us for the land of the rising sun - I've run front to back with a few of his events in the last 2 years, and it seems he does us a great service with his teachings *mores the pity that I can't recall his name* -- Is anyone going to be taking over in his place?
Charity Auction MC since forever
Panelist supreme - Will host ANYTHING <3
Artists' Alley - come visit MajikCraft and maybe buy something!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MajikCraft
SummerOtaku
Veteran Poster

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by SummerOtaku »

The Good:
-bad bad anime! How sad I was that the best pannel I went too all con was cut short.

-Crossplay- really informative and funny. Chesticles...hahah...gets me every time.

-Yaoi pannel! Good as always. Although I feel I am just a novice yaoi fan in their presence.

-Great selection. And good layout.

-Iron Cosplay (not as awesome as last year but still a hoot!)

-Cosplay chess

-Comics pannel by the Dejeuses. I only caught the end(before bad bad anime) but is was very interesting and topical.

The bad:

I think most of the problems I saw were with public speaking and presenting. Newbies perhaps?

*Cosplay Psycology- The fellow running it wasn't a very good speaker and gave off a weird vibe (he started out by talking about how he was watching us and that he wore cosplay in real life all the time). I had been looking forward to the pannel, to get insight on cosplay choices people make, etc. and was so disapointed. It sounded like he had tried to memorize a script and it just came off so annoying.

*No Tokyo Pop pannel(that i could see)- I had wanted to see what was next on the slate and really enjoy the presentation. Although I would have been happy with a Viz type pannel too.
themower
Expert Poster

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by themower »

The J-Fashion panel was awful. I saw the panelist posting in several places about it months in advance and then when it came to it she said something to the effect of "I'm sorry we didn't have any time to pull this altogether/set this up". There was quite the line there, so it seems a lot of people ended up disappointed.

Bad Anime Bad was awesome and should have a 3 hour block, haha.
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by chaobunny »

I really enjoyed the avatar panel and the gathering of cosplayers. It would be awesome for something cool like that to be there again in Anime Boston 2008.
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
-Somebody Who Cares (2014 Romance Finalist)
-Heartbeat (2013 Drama Finalist)
-SpiritPunch (2012 Other Finalist)
-If I Could Find You Now (2011 Romance Finalist)
-Until The End (2010 Best Romance)
-Falling From Innocence (2010 Drama Finalist)
-In a World Without Sorrow... (2009 Drama Finalist)
-Broken Wings of Love (2009 Romance Finalist)
Cyn

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by Cyn »

[quote=SummerOtaku]

-Yaoi pannel! Good as always. Although I feel I am just a novice yaoi fan in their presence.
[/quote]

Awww. If it makes you feel any better, I feel like a total dork up there babbling in front of all of you. ;)
Hopallee
AB Staff

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by Hopallee »

[quote=themower]The J-Fashion panel was awful. I saw the panelist posting in several places about it months in advance and then when it came to it she said something to the effect of "I'm sorry we didn't have any time to pull this altogether/set this up". There was quite the line there, so it seems a lot of people ended up disappointed.

Bad Anime Bad was awesome and should have a 3 hour block, haha.[/quote]

I agree. I seriously felt like i knew a lot more about J-fashion than she did and she had no visuals.
Hope McChesney
Assistant Director of Programming/ Formal Ball Co-Chair
ShadowWolf
Committed Poster

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by ShadowWolf »

There was an interesting school event that was going on in my brother's school. I remember someone did Japanese fashion. Excellent job, too. Had some really nice things to present.
jessica
Committed Poster

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by jessica »

[quote=Hopallee][quote=themower]The J-Fashion panel was awful. I saw the panelist posting in several places about it months in advance and then when it came to it she said something to the effect of "I'm sorry we didn't have any time to pull this altogether/set this up". There was quite the line there, so it seems a lot of people ended up disappointed.

Bad Anime Bad was awesome and should have a 3 hour block, haha.[/quote]

I agree. I seriously felt like i knew a lot more about J-fashion than she did and she had no visuals.
[/quote]

Excuse me, but I didn't have any visuals because they didn't give me the damn room I asked for. If you felt you knew a lot more than I did then you should've said something. I did the best I could.

I had a slideshow and everything.

Also, nobody seemed to think that the free j-magazines were awful.
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Panel Feedback 2007

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Locking this. It's ancient, and frankly, at this point, it's a little too late to review last year's panels since I've already assigned all of last year's panels their pecking order on the waitlist or panel slots if they made the cut in the first batch.
"Dragonmaster" Lou Arruda
Panels Programming Coordinator 2008-2014
Programming Operations Staff 2015-2019
Autographs Staff 2022-

Doth thou desire the power?
My fist is the divine breath! Blossom, o fallen seed, and draw upon thy hidden powers!!
Grant unto thee the power of the glorious 'Mother of Destruction'!