Panel Feedback 2022

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
tehscribbles
AB Staff

Panel Feedback 2022

Post by tehscribbles »

Hi everyone!

Please post your feedback for panels or other programming events here. We already have a list of feedback going and new ideas for next year, but we would love to hear from you! If you are looking for personal feedback about your panels that you presented please feel free, you can make new topics if you wish.

If you have ideas and constructive feedback, please post here!
Kate-lyn Skribiski Gingerich (Scribbles)
Programming Logistics Coordinator
shinyrocks
I'm new!

Re: Panel Feedback 2022

Post by shinyrocks »

I ran three panels this year (Sword Lesbians in Anime, Ace Attorney on Trial, and Lupin and On) so I've got some feedback from both sides of the experience.

From the presenter's side: not sure what was up but we ran into A/V issues for every single panel (mostly to do with getting audio working). We had two panels in the Sheraton Fairfax room that had other problems as well - I think the setup in there might have been haunted (heard of a few other panels having trouble specifically in that room). Luckily sound wasn't that important for us but I wish we'd had better troubleshooting options.

From the attendees side: Not sure what happened but there was a lot of subject overlap in panels this year. I think I counted three or four separate VTuber panels? I know it's dependent on what people submit but it seemed excessive this time around.

I also hope AB redoes their mask policy specifically for presenters next year. It didn't seem to be evenly enforced and also negatively impacted my ability to understand presenters, especially in bigger rooms. I had to bail out of Wait Wait, Don't Anime early because I could only understand about half of what was being said, for example. I know Otakon last year would allow panelists to present unmasked as long as they were six feet away from the nearest person (including both the audience and any co-presenters), so I think that would be a tenable solution.
jamesawolf@comcast.net
Expert Poster

Post by jamesawolf@comcast.net »

I did six (!) panels this year. I applied for all six, thinking that most would be rejected. More fool I. Still, I’d like some feedback from those who attended. My panels were:

Get off My Lawn!
Intellectual Property for the Fan
Japan and the Olympics
Okinawa
Go for Broke!
Jews and Japan

I was not on top of my game as much as I would have liked to have been… partially because of the amount of material I had to handle. Also the relative lateness of my Friday panels and a lack of sleep the rest of the weekend. But that’s why I make outlines.
jamesawolf@comcast.net
Expert Poster

Post by jamesawolf@comcast.net »

shinyrocks wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:47 pm

I also hope AB redoes their mask policy specifically for presenters next year. It didn't seem to be evenly enforced and also negatively impacted my ability to understand presenters, especially in bigger rooms.
I hope for no mask requirements for next year. That said, presenters, especially solo ones, should be allowed to eschew masks for their talks. I was obliged to mask up for one and it was very difficult to lecture with the damned thing on.