Lessons Learned at AB 2018

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2018.

Moderators: Nyuu, MandaTifa

RayneDeanZ
Expert Poster

Lessons Learned at AB 2018

Post by RayneDeanZ »

So now that con has come to an end, it’s time for us to share what we’ve learned in the hopes of helping people avoid problems or enhance their experience.
  • Be yourself: So as a small number of people know, I’m genderfluid but built like a linebacker. This year, I did Kiki from Kiki’s Delivery Service and was extremely scared to be judged for my body type. It’s a silly thing to worry about, I know, but I’m self-conscious so it meant the world to me to just be me and happy, and people made me feel cute and pretty, which is so rare in my daily life.

Make your schedule loose: I say this one every year. I make a schedule and then skip half of it to do things with friends. I went swimming at AB for the first time in all the 8 years I’ve gone, and it’s because I chose to not go to a panel.

Bring tissues to the AMVs: Now, I don’t go to the contest, but every year without fail, someone makes a winning AMV that causes me to cry like a baby.
Last edited by RayneDeanZ on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Been coming since 2011

Anime Boston 2017:
Mastermind!Chihiro Fujisaki (Dangan Ronpa)
Makoto Naegi (Dangan Ronpa)

Anime Boston 2018:
Shintaro Kisaragi (Kagerou Project)
Yasuke Matsuda (Dangan Ronpa)
Kiki (Kiki’s Delivery Service)

AB 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts)

AB 2022:
Kazuichi Souda (Danganronpa)

AB 2023:
Kazuichi Souda (Danganronpa)
GemSola
I'm new!

Re: Lessons Learned at AB 2018

Post by GemSola »

I learned that I am perfectly comfortable going to a con on my own. In past years I went with friends, and last year talked my brother into going, this was my first year going on my own, which I didn't mind in theory but had some concerns that I'd get lonely or bored. I managed to plan my weekend perfectly so that I was neither lonely, bored, nor overwhelmed.

Also in the vein I found that I am able to socialize fine (if not maybe a little awkwardly) with total strangers while being alone. Sat down to eat Friday and had fun chatting with the couple next to me. When in lines I had some nice conversations, and while leaving the con Saturday night had a nice chat with a pair of girls on the green line.

May not seem a lot, but I see myself as super shy, and awkward with strangers. And when I am alone in a crowd I feel I withdraw a lot. So the fact I felt 100% comfortable going somewhere so busy as AB AND chatting away with random strangers feels huge to me, makes me think maybe I'm not quite as awkward as I feel I am.

Also, bring a smaller bag next year, preferably a backpack instead of a shoulder bag.

And oh boy, second the bring tissues bit to AMV's. That dang AMV had me practically bawling twice in one day! Was in no way shape or form prepared for that.
Sylal3us
Experienced Poster

Post by Sylal3us »

Good shoes are key! If you do a lot of walking like I tend to do, a viking peg leg built on uncomfortable cheap heeled sandals is not advisable for day one. Make sure you have a pair of comfortable shoes for your costume or a pair of easy to carry flats/sandals to change into on the fly, lest you have bruised toenails or blisters.

You would think I would have learned that after costuming for at least 5 years ar conventions and working 10 years retail xD
Just your everyday average part-time cosplayer.
2019 cosplays:
Friday: Jedi Link
Saturday: Pyrrha Nikos
Sunday: kimono/ Link
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

That this was my first year in my entirety at AB without a costume and I learned that you just really, really need a costume here. I felt so darn naked being a normie.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

As someone old enough to have watched black-and-white anime (on a black-and-white TV, no less), I have to take a really hard look at how I pace myself. It seems that a lay-down, shoes-off, get-some-water rest between lunch and dinner is now mandatory, no matter what great stuff is happening on the con floor. It's annoying, but it worked--I got past midnight both Friday and Saturday.

Resist the urge to overspend in the dealer's room. This is actually an old lesson for me, but one that proved particularly useful this year.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

Not really lesson learned, but reinforced like woah - remember to sit down and rest during the day!!

omg my feet needed a lil ice soak to feel remotely ok after all 3 days of non-stop walking/standing
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
Selestyl
Determined Poster

Post by Selestyl »

Lesson my boyfriend and I learned: it's okay to split and do your own thing. He was determined to accompany me to a photoshoot despite me knowing he'd be bored out of his skull and I made him promise to go to the MHA premiere instead because I knew he wanted to go there. He ended up having fun there, and I had a good time at my photoshoot. I was bummed I couldn't be let in to the premiere afterwards, but that was a lesson I learned the hard way :lol: I just didn't want him to miss out on something because he felt he had to stay with me, and he's been talking about the premiere ever since!
2023 Lineup:

Luigi - Luigi’s Mansion
Joker - Persona 5
Barnaby Brooks Jr. - Tiger and Bunny
Rosedust
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Rosedust »

Learn to ask questions and don't assume people will do their jobs because you'll probably miss out on something cool because of it.
2019:
𝑅𝒶𝓋𝑒𝓃 (𝑅𝒲𝐵𝒴), 𝒪𝒹𝒶 𝒩𝑜𝒷𝓊𝓃𝒶𝑔𝒶 (𝐹𝒶𝓉𝑒/𝒢𝒪)

𝓟𝓻𝓮𝓿𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓨𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓼:
'06, '07, '09, '10, '13, '17, '18
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

It's funny how the Boylston St. Entrance is now the new "Secret" Entrance no one uses. Until 3 years ago, it was the Artist Alley/Sheraton Connector. Now it's ironically the main Boylston St. Entrance. First thing I see once I get to the top of the elevator is the several THOUSAND people trying to get in via the Mall Entrance.

Then I Facepalmed. Every. Single. Time.

I call it "Why should I have to go outside just to get into the Hynes when I can just use the mall entrance?" logic. The irony is since folks don't wan't to either go outside or take a detour, they'd rather take the shortest and longest route to get into the Hynes.

You could go through the Hynes entrance and end up standing for 10+ minutes. On othe other hand you could go through the Boylston St. entance and be inside within 10 seconds without a bag or in my case, 45 seconds with two heavy bags.

...Choose.
Master of NERV wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:12 am
Resist the urge to overspend in the dealer's room. This is actually an old lesson for me, but one that proved particularly useful this year.
...Yeah, that was me this year. Last year I had a $2,000 budget =D

This year I kept it to just two Blue Ray buys (Yuri!!! On Ice and Your Name) and finishing 3 Manga Series (Devil Survivor, Persona 3 and Persona 4). I'm gonna hit up Comicopia later this week for some moar Manga since I live in Boston ^_^
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
animefan1238
I'm new!

Post by animefan1238 »

Selestyl wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:40 pm Lesson my boyfriend and I learned: it's okay to split and do your own thing. He was determined to accompany me to a photoshoot despite me knowing he'd be bored out of his skull and I made him promise to go to the MHA premiere instead because I knew he wanted to go there. He ended up having fun there, and I had a good time at my photoshoot. I was bummed I couldn't be let in to the premiere afterwards, but that was a lesson I learned the hard way :lol: I just didn't want him to miss out on something because he felt he had to stay with me, and he's been talking about the premiere ever since!
My wife and I agreed on the same thing. We were mostly separated Saturday b/c panels I went to and her showing the ropes to her friend's son and his gf at their first AB. We talked about it and we enjoyed ourselves even though we weren't together. Some times you have to have your "me time" even at a con. LoL.
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

Aurabolt wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:31 pm It's funny how the Boylston St. Entrance is now the new "Secret" Entrance no one uses. Until 3 years ago, it was the Artist Alley/Sheraton Connector. Now it's ironically the main Boylston St. Entrance. First thing I see once I get to the top of the elevator is the several THOUSAND people trying to get in via the Mall Entrance.

Then I Facepalmed. Every. Single. Time.

I call it "Why should I have to go outside just to get into the Hynes when I can just use the mall entrance?" logic. The irony is since folks don't wan't to either go outside or take a detour, they'd rather take the shortest and longest route to get into the Hynes.

You could go through the Hynes entrance and end up standing for 10+ minutes. On othe other hand you could go through the Boylston St. entance and be inside within 10 seconds without a bag or in my case, 45 seconds with two heavy bags.

...Choose.
Right? I learned about Boylston Street being the better entrance last year after our "secret" artist alley entrance became known to the world. Never had to wait in line at Boylston Street. It's worth taking a walk outside for.
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), casual steampunk
runicmagitek
Experienced Poster

Post by runicmagitek »

• California Pizza Kitchen on Saturday afternoon was A Mistake™
  • Don't stress out if you forget a small piece of your cosplay. Most likely you'll be the only one who notices and others are just too happy you're cosplaying the thing they love to realize what's missing
  • Figuring out how long it would take to get ready in the morning and adding an hour to it made getting into cosplay a lot smoother and less stress inducing
  • Need more casual/street clothes cosplays to wander around in when I'm out of my more elaborate cosplays
  • 3rd floor of the Hynes is apparently where it's at for photographers
  • It's ok to break away from friends and do your own thing! I met a lot of cool and new people by doing this
  • I don't know the cosplayer's name, but the Jojo cosplayer from the last round of Afterdark can talk to me about dolphins any day of the week
1/4 of Curtain Call Cosplay

N/A
Twili Midna (Legend of Zelda) | Canti (FLCL) | Satsuki Kiryuin (Kill la Kill) | Neptune Vasilias (RWBY)
Julia (Cowboy Bebop) | Twili Midna (Legend of Zelda) | Canti (FLCL) | Glynda Goodwitch (RWBY)
Julia (Cowboy Bebop) | Squall Leonhart, SeeD ball uniform (Final Fantasy VIII) | Nicolas Brown (Gangsta)
TheGlassesGirl
Expert Poster

Post by TheGlassesGirl »

-If you're wearing uncomfortable shoes, make sure to set aside time when you can just sit down! (Walking around in 3 inch heels for about 7 hours as Black Lady required a lot of sit breaks)

-Make sure your wig styling is real secure, or be careful about how you transport it....my Dorothy wig came completely unstyled in my bag and I had to do a super fast restyle in the bathroom!

-If you're bringing food, make sure you pack a variety, or you might get bored of eating the same thing every day!
Cosplay Games performer for 6 years and counting!

Anime Boston 2024 Tentative Plans:
Kanamori (Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken), Rui Kamishiro (Project Sekai), The Cat (Infinity Train), Polly Geist (Monster Prom)
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

royalbakaness wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:50 pm
Right? I learned about Boylston Street being the better entrance last year after our "secret" artist alley entrance became known to the world. Never had to wait in line at Boylston Street. It's worth taking a walk outside for.
Until a few years ago, the Game Room and the AA were swapped with each other. The switch was finally done and that made the second floor a bit quieter. I'm glad the switch was made personally. Coincidentally, the switch happened after security was heightened due to the marathon bombing back in 2013. AB happening during bad weather also forced most attendees inside on top of the increased security measures. As a result, most elected to just use the Mall Entrance to avoid the weather.

The funny thing is although the Boylston St. Entrance is the actual main entrance, it's got the lightest security presence. So...yeah.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

Aurabolt wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:20 pm
Until a few years ago, the Game Room and the AA were swapped with each other. The switch was finally done and that made the second floor a bit quieter. I'm glad the switch was made personally. Coincidentally, the switch happened after security was heightened due to the marathon bombing back in 2013. AB happening during bad weather also forced most attendees inside on top of the increased security measures. As a result, most elected to just use the Mall Entrance to avoid the weather.

The funny thing is although the Boylston St. Entrance is the actual main entrance, it's got the lightest security presence. So...yeah.
Yeah, I think I recall the switch. Honestly, I've gone out to Boylston Street in inclement weather (in cosplay even), and it's not that bad. I prefer to avoid the craziness at the mall entrance if I can help it.
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), casual steampunk
Thrillho
Expert Poster

Post by Thrillho »

Lesson Learned: If you have a cosplay that requires thigh-high white vinyl boots, invest in ones that are actually comfortable.
Joe aka Gustav

AB 2018
Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Zant (Legend of Zelda) / Professor Port (RWBY) / Rintarou Okabe (Steins;Gate) / Wario (Mario Franchise) / Over Justice (Space Patrol Luluco)

AB 2017
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Oscar Pine (RWBY) / Zant (Hyrule Warriors)

AB 2016 (First Time!)
Professor Ozpin (RWBY) / Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Kouta (Elfen Lied)
Mirotic
Veteran Poster

Post by Mirotic »

If you're staying at the Sheraton: check-out at 12PM is absolute chaos at the elevators.
Ended up taking the stairs with 2 bags, a 40 gallon rolling tote and my suitcase.

Next year: stay an extra day to wait out the majority of con-goers and also don't pack a full suit of armor.
I believe if time passes, everything turns into beauty. If the rains stop, tears clean the scars of memory away. Everything starts wearing fresh colors. Every sound begins playing a heartful melody. Jealousy embellishes a page of the epic. Desire is embraced in a dream. But my mind is still in chaos and..
2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 / 2019 / 2020 / 2021 / 2022
runicmagitek
Experienced Poster

Post by runicmagitek »

Mirotic wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:39 am If you're staying at the Sheraton: check-out at 12PM is absolute chaos at the elevators.
Ended up taking the stairs with 2 bags, a 40 gallon rolling tote and my suitcase.

Next year: stay an extra day to wait out the majority of con-goers and also don't pack a full suit of armor.
My friends and I have been doing this for most cons for a while. Not only do you miss all the craziness that is checking out, but you don't need to rush to pack and get out and instead enjoy the day/evening. I'd gladly fork over money for an extra night if it means saving my sanity. Highly recommend it!

N/A
Twili Midna (Legend of Zelda) | Canti (FLCL) | Satsuki Kiryuin (Kill la Kill) | Neptune Vasilias (RWBY)
Julia (Cowboy Bebop) | Twili Midna (Legend of Zelda) | Canti (FLCL) | Glynda Goodwitch (RWBY)
Julia (Cowboy Bebop) | Squall Leonhart, SeeD ball uniform (Final Fantasy VIII) | Nicolas Brown (Gangsta)
JosephW
Veteran Poster

Post by JosephW »

Lesson learned: Losing sleep by getting up super early to get to the con exactly on time is a bad idea.

Was told that there would be tons of traffic and to leave at 6am in order to get there by 9....left at 7am and got there at 8. And then there was no line at all to get into the convention itself. So yeah, I guess in future years, I can just leave at 8am or so and get to the con by 9:30 or 10.

I might just book a hotel next year instead, to avoid having to drive / wake up early at all.
AB 2018: Nick Wilde
AB 2019: Haida (Fri) / Inkling Boy (Sat)
AB 2022: Nick Wilde (Zootopia)
sdfx
Getting the hang of this...

Post by sdfx »

Heels aren't as bad as I thought, but definitely take breaks..! I've taken more photos this year than any year at the con--definitely don't be shy to ask to take photos.

Bring a dedicated camera next time for nicer shots :)

EDIT: Echoing Joseph's statement, I'd definitely book a hotel room next time even though I live close by.
7 years going strong!

Most recent: Violet Evergarden
midnightsiren182
AB Staff

Post by midnightsiren182 »

Eleeeeecccctrolytes.
Lauren Gallo
Programming Ops Staff 2024
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Dress warm, bring an extra sweater. The AC in the convention was really cold. I was shaking by midnight on Saturday. You can always leave it at the coat check if you don't want to carry it around.

Pack a snack with you. Chips. Breakfast bars. Crackers. Anything to hold you over til meal time. Especially if your schedule is tight.

The older I get, the more valuable sleep is. When I was 18-25, it was fun to just stay up late with my friends during the con. 1AM, 2AM. Would stay late for the Karaoke. But in recent years, a mature time-managing adult such as myself needs energy for the whole day. I try to get to bed by 12 or 13:30 depending on how the late programming goes.

Budget your money. When I was younger, I use to give myself a $36-80 budget in the dealers room. This year I spent like almost $200. I've come to realize that I don't want to be so materialistic anymore, so next time I want to limit myself to purchasing items that are more rare to have. Like anything Digimon. That stuff is rare.

The restrooms in the Sheraton are the best, nicest and most private restrooms to go to. ;)
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
david196520
I'm new!

Post by david196520 »

That this was my first year in my entirety at AB without a costume and I learned that you just really, really need a costume here.
Lone_Wulf91
AB Staff

Post by Lone_Wulf91 »

I learned that Anime Boston is one of the best conventions I have ever participated in. But in 2018 I realized I want to try and go to other cons besides AB and get more involved in the convention circuit and eventually take another shot in cosplaying and being more involved in the community.

I've been attending AB since 2012 and even though alot happened that year, it was one of the greatest and best times of my life. I learned so much that its helped me become an active AB con goer and I honestly wanna keep going for as long as I can. I want to see what other opportunities the convention will have for me, new experiences and maybe make more and new friends.

I wasnt much of a people person but going to AB then and now has helped me with my socializing skills in numerous ways and I want to do what I can to enjoy and keep the AB convention train going.
Richard Rivera
Rick Rivera

Rich Rivera
Security Staff