Lessons Learned at AB 2017

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2017.

Moderators: Nyuu, MandaTifa

RayneDeanZ
Expert Poster

Lessons Learned at AB 2017

Post by RayneDeanZ »

Making my annual thread for lessons, mostly because there's always something you learn from the experience.
  • Parking disappears after 9. I arrived later to con than I normally do, so I learned this one the unfortunate way.
  • Just because you bring a power strip/extension cord, doesn't mean you'll find a wall outlet near what you want to wait for. I didn't charge my 3DS or Phone one night due to being tired and they both died on me at the worst time.
  • Let the drama go. This was the first year I had drama affect something I wanted to do, and getting worked up over it didn't help. If you can, let it go.
  • Be careful what you say. I was seated next to what I assume to be the parent of a contestant in the Lip Sync Battle and both me and my partner began to argue with her over the fairness of a masked character competing in the event.
  • Lastly, never be afraid to just not plan anything. I basically winged my Sunday after Chess and it paid off because I had a blast just hanging out around con.
Been coming since 2011

Anime Boston 2017:
Mastermind!Chihiro Fujisaki (Dangan Ronpa)
Makoto Naegi (Dangan Ronpa)

Anime Boston 2018:
Shintaro Kisaragi (Kagerou Project)
Yasuke Matsuda (Dangan Ronpa)
Kiki (Kiki’s Delivery Service)

AB 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts)

AB 2022:
Kazuichi Souda (Danganronpa)

AB 2023:
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Re: Lessons Learned at AB 2017

Post by Master of NERV »

Always take your wife with you to the dealer's room. There were two figurines that I hadn't even noticed until she pointed them out, and another (the most expensive of the lot this year) that she encouraged me to buy. After getting it home and seeing the great paint job and and dead-on sculpt, I realized she was right! :lol:

Also, I found a real surprise in Eataly--at the very back, there's a rotisserie that serves roast chicken and prime rib at what I thought was a reasonable price. Also, you can get it to go.
Last edited by Master of NERV on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Selestyl
Determined Poster

Post by Selestyl »

I learned not to let my nerves get the best of me. I almost ran away from another photoshoot because I felt really self conscious as my genderbent Ignis, but I ended up staying and having a great time! Last year I left a shoot because I thought everyone looked better, so I'm really glad I didn't leave this time.

I also learned that there's lots of good restaurants nearby! I miss the food court but I learned about some cool restaurants nearby. Oh, and Wagamama isn't too busy if you go Friday early afternoon. We were in and out in 30 minutes!
2023 Lineup:

Luigi - Luigi’s Mansion
Joker - Persona 5
Barnaby Brooks Jr. - Tiger and Bunny
Princess_Kaylin
Obsessed Poster

Post by Princess_Kaylin »

Don't bring my boyfriend to photoshoots or shenanigans XD

I found out I really embarrassed him speaking of his devil horns.

Also found out money makes the world go round...was my first year on a restricted budget and glad I am working again cause got 0 con swag and felt horrible seeing my boyfriend and me see things which I was like uhm....was jobless due to medical for 3 months....need the money for food and emergency...no to the dvds...no to the autographs specially when you find out they are 20 and up *coughs* Anime Boston to me is becoming Anime Expo but only realized it when I was like a good 90% of the con goers this year and was short on my luck and my money.

Watching anime with the boyfriend on the tv channels is almost the best thing ever....maybe I should spend like 3 hours before or after a con day snuggling with him watching Classical Laid, Some amusement park anime, and a lovey dovey couple anime......We found our next 3 series to stream and buy.

Don't make costumes you know your boyfriend wants but know he won't want to wear due to how he is. Megaman was awesome but he didn't like moving in it. Captain N was great but he was all down that many didnt recognize his char, and most of the time he wanted to be in normal clothes and not cosplaying. He did fall in love with his Sadeao Mauo from devil is a part timer though once he saw how easy and comfy it was to wear.
===========[2018]============
Princess Celica- Fire Emblem Echoes-----Jill Valentine - Resident Evil 3
-----All Week-end --------------------------------Just during Photoshoot---
midi002
I'm new!

Post by midi002 »

As a mid aged fan, 36, I found a lot of people in my age bracket share the same sentiments about the progression of anime as I do.

I honestly thought that maybe I was turning away from anime because I was getting old. Instead, there is a drastic change in themes in today's stuff.
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

midi002 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:24 pm As a mid aged fan, 36, I found a lot of people in my age bracket share the same sentiments about the progression of anime as I do.

I honestly thought that maybe I was turning away from anime because I was getting old. Instead, there is a drastic change in themes in today's stuff.
As a middle-aged fan on the wrong side of 50, I hear you! ;) Change never stops...Japanese society, anime's domestic audience and its tastes, the talent and tools at the studios, etc. Nonetheless, even now I still come across new shows that I love--it just takes more effort to find them out of a "50-new-shows-a-year" torrent of new product.
Princess_Kaylin wrote:...Some amusement park anime...
If you've lost the title, it's Amagi Brilliant Park. Just finished it with the missus.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Rick
Expert Poster

Post by Rick »

Selestyl wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:37 pm I learned not to let my nerves get the best of me. I almost ran away from another photoshoot because I felt really self conscious as my genderbent Ignis, but I ended up staying and having a great time! Last year I left a shoot because I thought everyone looked better, so I'm really glad I didn't leave this time.
Glad you did! Remember, it's not about how good your cosplay is, it's about the love of the fandom! :3
"I ever tell you about the time my buddy Keith went to Anime Boston?"
Selestyl
Determined Poster

Post by Selestyl »

Rick wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:50 am
Selestyl wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:37 pm I learned not to let my nerves get the best of me. I almost ran away from another photoshoot because I felt really self conscious as my genderbent Ignis, but I ended up staying and having a great time! Last year I left a shoot because I thought everyone looked better, so I'm really glad I didn't leave this time.
Glad you did! Remember, it's not about how good your cosplay is, it's about the love of the fandom! :3
Thanks!! I was so glad I stayed, too. I'm already planning to make improvements for next year because I love FFXV to pieces :)
2023 Lineup:

Luigi - Luigi’s Mansion
Joker - Persona 5
Barnaby Brooks Jr. - Tiger and Bunny
nodsviper
Experienced Poster

Post by nodsviper »

Bring powerbanks for your phones, they are worth the money!

Don't be afraid to venture out of the hotel and convention center for food (even in bad weather). You might find something cheaper and better even just a walking distance away.

be kind, rewind (just kidding)
RayneDeanZ
Expert Poster

Post by RayneDeanZ »

New lesson, learned slightly after con, but related to con.

The Coordinators know what they're doing with their picks, even if you don't see the humor in their visual joke participant choices.
Been coming since 2011

Anime Boston 2017:
Mastermind!Chihiro Fujisaki (Dangan Ronpa)
Makoto Naegi (Dangan Ronpa)

Anime Boston 2018:
Shintaro Kisaragi (Kagerou Project)
Yasuke Matsuda (Dangan Ronpa)

AB 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts)

AB 2022:

AB 2023:
Thrillho
Expert Poster

Post by Thrillho »

I was so incredibly nervous because I was doing a crossplay of Haruko Haruhara and had nothing but jitters up until the con, but I clamped down and went through with it and I'm SO GLAD I did. People really liked the cosplay and I felt much better seeing the positive reactions from others. I'm definitely glad you stuck it out and it turned into a positive experience for you. :)
Joe aka Gustav
1/4 of Curtain Call Cosplay

AB 2018
Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Zant (Legend of Zelda) / Professor Port (RWBY) / Rintarou Okabe (Steins;Gate) / Wario (Mario Franchise) / Over Justice (Space Patrol Luluco)

AB 2017
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Oscar Pine (RWBY) / Zant (Hyrule Warriors)

AB 2016 (First Time!)
Professor Ozpin (RWBY) / Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Kouta (Elfen Lied)
Rhys Ifane
AB Alumni

Post by Rhys Ifane »

Mine is going to sound a bit different just because I'm staff.

1.) Backstage sometimes isn't as well lit as you may think. Having character intros online so that I can read them on a backlit screen will make sure I don't look foolish literally bending over backwards at the stage trying to read them off flash cards.

2.) I had never been to Wagamama before. I got some of their curry to go when I was exhausted on Sunday after chess. My life will never be the same. So tasty.

3.) If you have a rather busy weekend, and you find a little bit of downtime, it's a totally awesome idea to go back to your hotel room and take a 2 hour power nap if you need to.

4.) Nutrition is important. I tend to lose my appetite whenever I go to a convention for whatever reason, so I end up forcing myself to eat in small doses. Making sure that little bit of food is not just junk food makes all the difference.

5.) Make time to stretch. Being busy means my feet, neck, and hips tend to make things difficult on me. Taking a few minutes periodically to just stretch helps make it easier.

6.) There is water everywhere practically. Making sure to stay well hydrated is just good sense.

7.) Before the convention begins, take some time to look at the schedule. Make note of what things you are expected to go to as well as things you'd like to attend. I makes it easier when it comes to planning when to eat and take breaks.

8.) Finally, just be courteous to others. Generally speaking, you don't know someone else's life or their situation. Being supportive and polite can really make or break someone else's experience of the weekend. Conversely, If someone is overstepping their bounds, be very clear with the person about what is acceptable. We're all dorks in some way. So naturally a lot of us will be awkward. Those that don't realize this sometimes just need to be made aware of it and why. For those that refuse to accept this, we do have a security team. Be safe, be happy, be awesome.
David Burke
Cosplay Games Staff 2014-2019
Masquerade Staff 2020
MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa »

You'd think that I would have learned some of this by now, but I never seem to:

Have your cosplays be more-or-less self-sufficient, meaning that you can get into them and take care of them throughout the day by yourself. I had to be pinned into my costume on Sunday, and I had a tail that kept coming off and needing to be repinned again. Good thing I was in a group!

Bring spare wig caps. Accidents can (and often do) happen. Not to mention those suckers are so easy to lose!

Learn how to use your camera before the con. If you don't know how to use it, bring the one that you DO know how to use. I was pretty much reliant on my cell phone the whole weekend.

If you have more than one thing for autograph from different guests, use post-it notes! I did this year, and it streamlined everything so much to just know at a glance which item was for what signature.
Amanda Graves
Cosplay Guest Coordinator 2024
Masquerade Assistant Coordinator 2023
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2022
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016, 2018 - 2019

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Be strong, Red XIII."
Ficus
AB Staff

Post by Ficus »

I try something new every year, and I learn a lot from it:

• Powernaps are awesome! It really helps to finish Sunday strong.

• I went to ChinaTown Thursday and picked up some Asian goodies for the room. Ramune, meat buns, dorayaki, pocky, and assorted sweets made good snacks throughout the weekend. And red bean paste is really filling and great for on-the-go snacking.

• Don’t make meal plans with friends before the con, then just assume nothing will change. If you want to hang out with people, double-check that they're free. My friend forgot to check their schedule until Saturday night and bailed on me for dinner because he didn’t have time. Eating emergency cup ramen alone in a hotel room is lonely.

• Also, bring Emergency Rations, because you never know when food plans will change and you’ll need to eat by yourself, eat quickly, or offer some extra food to someone that forgot to eat.

• Remember to iron your cosplay before you wear it. Removing wrinkles makes it look so much snazzier. I was much more comfortable with my smooth obi after I ironed it Thursday and hung it up overnight, looks more like it popped out of a manga.
Ashley Shaffer
Cosplay Gatherings and Photosets Staff- 2024
Bianca Gabrielle ♥
I'm new!

Post by Bianca Gabrielle ♥ »

1) Always bring food when you're working at a booth. Hynes food is overpriced crap (no offense to the people who cooked it).

2) Don't be so indecisive in the Artists' Alley or you'll end up with no art like me.

3) The people that come to the FAKKU! booth are a lot of fun. Would work there again, 12/10 lol

4) Bringing a reusable water bottle instead of buying water was so much cheaper because of all the water bubblers (thank you staff & Hynes!)

5) I need to get a job before next year. Or end up with no art, again.

6) When PF Chang's failed us by apparently having been closed for a bit (I shed a tear), Eataly saved us... surprisingly not packed on a Saturday night, barely even any con-goers there; on that note, eat during Masquerade if you don't go to it, since no one from con is really out for dinner

7) If you drive, splurge for overnight parking. Great mini party in my friend's hotel room (that I didn't get to go to because no overnight parking, another tear is shed;;)

8) Always do a 360 around the dealers' room especially when looking for a specific item. Was about to get a plush for $50 before finding it at another seller for only $25.
Twitter | MAL | Youtube | Blog | My Art
AB '11 | AB '13 | AB '14 | AB '15 | AB '17
casuallyironicknight
Experienced Poster

Post by casuallyironicknight »

I learnt...

1) Carpet will rip open pleather so it's best to be careful. Bluh.

2) Again. Shoes. So important that they're comfortable.

3) Plan to get to panels like an hour early. I was late to a photoshoot and almost missed the fun entirely!!
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

Princess_Kaylin wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:47 pm Don't bring my boyfriend to photoshoots or shenanigans XD

I found out I really embarrassed him speaking of his devil horns.

Also found out money makes the world go round...was my first year on a restricted budget and glad I am working again cause got 0 con swag and felt horrible seeing my boyfriend and me see things which I was like uhm....was jobless due to medical for 3 months....need the money for food and emergency...no to the dvds...no to the autographs specially when you find out they are 20 and up *coughs* Anime Boston to me is becoming Anime Expo but only realized it when I was like a good 90% of the con goers this year and was short on my luck and my money.

Watching anime with the boyfriend on the tv channels is almost the best thing ever....maybe I should spend like 3 hours before or after a con day snuggling with him watching Classical Laid, Some amusement park anime, and a lovey dovey couple anime......We found our next 3 series to stream and buy.

Don't make costumes you know your boyfriend wants but know he won't want to wear due to how he is. Megaman was awesome but he didn't like moving in it. Captain N was great but he was all down that many didnt recognize his char, and most of the time he wanted to be in normal clothes and not cosplaying. He did fall in love with his Sadeao Mauo from devil is a part timer though once he saw how easy and comfy it was to wear.
it might be a bit late to tell you now, but you do know you don't "have" to pay for autographs like at CT con right? the ones in the dealers room are just for the people who missed the actual autographs and couldn't get a red autograph ticket...so while your missing some of the con, it will be well worth the wait, and you don't need to pay upwords of 25$ for an autograph and get some time to tell them how awsome they are (if you can find your voice at the time) I'm just pointing this out for next time....also you have to go there super early and wait around, then you have to wait again, but if your paisent and have something to do for an hr (or so) i suggest you do it

~~~~

Also two lessons, 1 bring plenty of socks, and you got paid don't be afraid to use your debit card at the dvd stands, chances are you'll be ok and won't have to worry about anything...

they had this show i wanted to show my mom, but it was almost 60$ and i could have gotten the art box and said that would have been the only "thing" i got at con, but i wasn't feeling spending almost 140$ on a dvd, but next time go for the simple dvd, you brought your debit card for a reason use it next time ._.;

other then that i didn't have much in the way of problems
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

midi002 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:24 pm As a mid aged fan, 36, I found a lot of people in my age bracket share the same sentiments about the progression of anime as I do.

I feel the same way!
Glad I'm not alone!
Let destiny decide.
~AB veteran 2006-2017(missed '15)~
Thrillho
Expert Poster

Post by Thrillho »

dstnyskr wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:52 am

I feel the same way!
Glad I'm not alone!
As another middle-aged fan, I'm very upset that this was only my second AB, and I don't understand why I haven't been to every single one of them.
Joe aka Gustav
1/4 of Curtain Call Cosplay

AB 2018
Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Zant (Legend of Zelda) / Professor Port (RWBY) / Rintarou Okabe (Steins;Gate) / Wario (Mario Franchise) / Over Justice (Space Patrol Luluco)

AB 2017
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Oscar Pine (RWBY) / Zant (Hyrule Warriors)

AB 2016 (First Time!)
Professor Ozpin (RWBY) / Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Kouta (Elfen Lied)
MistyKristiCosplay
Getting the hang of this...

Post by MistyKristiCosplay »

I learned a huge lesson from Saturday.

Wear comfortable shoes for your cosplay, 4-inch wedges might look cute and make your cosplay look great but after a while, they tend to hurt your feet. So bring a pair of flats or other shoes that are more comfortable.
Con-Goer since Anime Boston 2013

AB 2024:
???
Luka Megurine (Vocaloid)
Columbina (Genshin Impact)
Serena (Animal Crossing)
Ganyu (Genshin Impact)

IG: @MistyKristiCosplay
The Pocky Guy

Post by The Pocky Guy »

Steve is best husbando until an egg walks into your life.
NewEnglander

Post by NewEnglander »

This is my 10th year at AB with my daughter who is now 21....I will be 56 this year as well. Never let age get in the way of your enjoyments and hobbies in life...I never will!
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

NewEnglander wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:40 amThis is my 10th year at AB with my daughter who is now 21....I will be 56 this year as well. Never let age get in the way of your enjoyments and hobbies in life...I never will!
I have been attending AB since 2003, with the exceptions of 2015 and 2016 (though last year I did go to PortCon Maine and PopCult Anime Con). I was very happy to return to AB this year. I'm 48, and I NEVER let my age get in the way of things I love doing, either. :) :) Keep on going!!
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Always bring snacks inside the con with you, in case you get hungry. Chips!
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
ArianaXaia
Expert Poster

Post by ArianaXaia »

1. Lay out all pieces of your costume the night before so you can get ready faster in the morning.

2. Attempt to keep your hotel room somewhat tidy for easy cleanup on your last day at the hotel.

3. Big bags aren't very convenient for certain costumes, and later in the day your shoulders/back start to hurt. However, you should have a small bag (such as a small purse) for your wallet, small purchases, and business cards.

4. Check the tags on social media like Instagram and Tumblr before, during, and after a day at the con. You may find the only person cosplaying Ryan Ross in the Rose vest aside from your friend and then get to meet up.

5. Exhibit a little restraint when going through the Dealer's Room and Artist's Alley. Spending most of your con money on the first day is not a good idea, and you will probably regret it later. But if you see something you really really love, then don't wait to get it until the next day; it may be sold out, and you'll regret not getting it sooner.

6. Be careful with costumes with big pieces such as wings or giant props. It makes it difficult to navigate the crowds, and you'll probably end up hitting someone in the head at some point.
AB 2022 Potential Plans:
Childe (Genshin Impact)
Lumine (Genshin Impact)
Mami Tomoe (Madoka)
Maya (Revue Starlight)