How do you feel now that the convention is over once again?

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2017.

Moderators: Nyuu, MandaTifa

coolforever
AB Alumni

How do you feel now that the convention is over once again?

Post by coolforever »

The yearly post con depression for you all to express your feelings in!

I had a BLAST at this convention, and I'm not sad that it is over in the slightest, mainly because I'm going to Japan in 2 weeks, and I also met A LOT of awesome people. :)

How do you guys feel though in terms of the con being over for 2017?
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Re: How do you feel now that the convention is over once again?

Post by Master of NERV »

Happy and relieved. Also physically exhausted, which is why I always take Monday off.

I'll be honest--last year's misadventure had me worried for the future. By end of day Friday, my misgivings had vanished, and I was able to relax and have fun for the rest of the event.

Already pre-reged for next year! :)
Last edited by Master of NERV on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Indifferent.

Honestly, I feel I am growing out of it. Originally, I wanted to not come to AB this year but my friends talked me back into it.

2016 was a miserable year. The convention was terribly run and really threw me into a last straw to the point that as someone who always books my hotel in June for AB, I booked it in January upon being talked into going again.

I had a lot of lost faith in this year however, I wasn't mad at all with the lines and staff like 2016 and 2015. I actually felt.... good about it. I dressed up in cosplay this year and actually didn't feel restricted in the costume. I actually cut loose and really had a blast.

But ultimately, I don't watch anime anymore. I quit video games. There's hardly anything NEW that I know anymore. (The newest on my books is Shinsekai Yori honestly)....

After a few years hiatus from school, I went back and have been doing amazing. As it is, I am hoping to be in deep study this time next year at a four year institution to correct what I have cold-shouldered all my life. This means, I'll be quitting my job in the upcoming months and I will have no direct source of income either.

I've been going to AB since 2005. I've been through highs and lows. I still love the con, but I feel the heart and soul is gone. Mike does a great job with the AMV contest, but I miss having Adam be the face, just like Patrick being the convention face as well. I miss the food court which I know AB had nothing to do with. I miss affordable hotel prices. I miss affordable costumes.

It's become a massive expense that I am unfortunately fearing the end of coming and there's nothing I can do. I'm just glad I had a great year this year and if I don't make it to any more from this point on, that I had a great run.

It is what it is. This con has been my fire for years and years and years. I've participated in AMV contests. Gameshows. Made it a tradition to go to certain events and more. It hurts to think about it but yeah. I dunno.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Princess_Kaylin
Obsessed Poster

Post by Princess_Kaylin »

The photoshoots, many staffers, and cosplayers were amazing. Sadly my boyfriend hated most of it cause yeah he wanted to try a con but found out its not his thing. He did love the private photoshoots in the hotel room but was kind of shocked at some of the panels just from how they are run.

I feel the events are getting worse in my opinion since yeah who plans the games, movie premiere, and two different series premieres all in the same time frame nor charge lots of money for autographs vs the previous years.

The previous years the premieres re-aired on Sundays in a room back to back usually but this year was a let down. Like most years I find the events at smaller cons a lot more fun while AB just has too many people and scheduling too conflicting from restrictions which I am sure are put on ab for when they are allowed to show or run certain big company dub releases.

To be honest the events, dealers rooms, and autographs seem to be leaning more and more towards expo feels each year for me.

I do plan to go again next year but probably will only do photoshoots and the late 21+ panels and events.

As for costume contests and games as usual I feel the smaller cons are my fit cause I prep very much for them and AB I still never get past the waiting list unless it is a live event which is no one's fault really cause lets face it everyone is trying in the big cons to go big or go home usually.
===========[2018]============
Princess Celica- Fire Emblem Echoes-----Jill Valentine - Resident Evil 3
-----All Week-end --------------------------------Just during Photoshoot---
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

Sooo tired and very happy to be back home with my cat =^^=
But it was a great con, like always. I enjoyed the panels, the cosplays, and the people. Looking forward to next year, but after this last chaotic year in my life, I'm happy for the next AB to take its time getting here so I can prepare in a timely manner.
Already thinking about my cosplays for next year ^^
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), casual steampunk
Rick
Expert Poster

Post by Rick »

Kinda bummin', as I have to punch into work in 30. AB was the big vacation that I needed from my stressful job and I wish I had more time to enjoy myself. It's that "after Christmas" sort of feeling, so to speak.
"I ever tell you about the time my buddy Keith went to Anime Boston?"
Selestyl
Determined Poster

Post by Selestyl »

I'm tired. I'm so glad I took yesterday off (the nausea wasn't fun) because I needed the day to quietly veg before returning to the real world.

I won't go into personal details, but AB 2017 was what I had been looking forward to for months. I told myself when things got bad "AB 2017 is coming and it'll be great". And I was right. This was my best AB and I am so glad I went. I can't wait for next year already <3
2023 Lineup:

Luigi - Luigi’s Mansion
Joker - Persona 5
Barnaby Brooks Jr. - Tiger and Bunny
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

Ultimately this year was a good experience for me. I went in feeling kind of isolated and out of touch with the culture (you know, getting older and all that, plus generally not being great at navigating social situations where I don't know a lot of people) - watching "Mongolian Chop Squad" somehow straightened me out - it was like a reminder that my particular corner of the fandom is more about making things myself, rather than just taking in what other people make. So next year I need to get some projects done, hopefully including a costume, maybe do a panel or two. That's how I have fun at the con and that's what was has been largely missing from the experience in recent years.

So I didn't really get "post-con depression" at all. I got "Con depression" then found my way out (Like, Oberth-Effect-style... Yeah, orbital mechanics analogies for the win!)

I did have some projects in the works for the 2017 art show, and they didn't pan out unfortunately. I just didn't get enough done. That's unfortunate, I think they would have been pretty awesome and very thematically-appropriate this year. I guess that's my only regret about this year's con.
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

tetsujin wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:34 pm it was like a reminder that my particular corner of the fandom is more about making things myself, rather than just taking in what other people make. So next year I need to get some projects done, hopefully including a costume, maybe do a panel or two. That's how I have fun at the con and that's what was has been largely missing from the experience in recent years.
That's my favorite part of the con. My friend gets tired of cosplaying, and she really only does it if I'm donning one of our "group" cosplays. But for me, making a cosplay and wearing it at the con is the best! It's what I most look forward to :)
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

royalbakaness wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:14 pm
tetsujin wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:34 pm it was like a reminder that my particular corner of the fandom is more about making things myself, rather than just taking in what other people make. So next year I need to get some projects done, hopefully including a costume, maybe do a panel or two. That's how I have fun at the con and that's what was has been largely missing from the experience in recent years.
That's my favorite part of the con. My friend gets tired of cosplaying, and she really only does it if I'm donning one of our "group" cosplays. But for me, making a cosplay and wearing it at the con is the best! It's what I most look forward to :)
My first few cons I cosplayed, I think it was one of the things that helped cement it in my mind as a great experience. Then I took on a more ambitious cosplay project and didn't finish it, didn't really get back to costuming after that. I would like to, though.

2004-2007 or so I ran a workshop - it tended to dominate my Saturdays at the con, before the workshop I was too busy getting everything properly arranged and afterward it was all blowing off steam and breathing a sigh of relief. I always referred to it as "high-octane fun", it took a lot out of me but I got a lot out of it, too. I haven't really had much of a planned involvement in the cons since then - seems it's time to correct that.
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

tetsujin wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:49 pm
My first few cons I cosplayed, I think it was one of the things that helped cement it in my mind as a great experience. Then I took on a more ambitious cosplay project and didn't finish it, didn't really get back to costuming after that. I would like to, though.

2004-2007 or so I ran a workshop - it tended to dominate my Saturdays at the con, before the workshop I was too busy getting everything properly arranged and afterward it was all blowing off steam and breathing a sigh of relief. I always referred to it as "high-octane fun", it took a lot out of me but I got a lot out of it, too. I haven't really had much of a planned involvement in the cons since then - seems it's time to correct that.
Yeah, I have other events that I volunteer at, and while I'm exhausted afterwards, I really enjoy the event more for having been a part of it.
It's the same with cosplaying at a con. It's a lot of work, and I'm often exhausted from walking around the con all day in a costume that makes normal movement difficult, with a buttload of makeup on, and usually in less than comfortable shoes. But it's a good exhaustion from having a great time :)
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

honestly how do i feel about AB, as i always feel about it really....It's so much better then the smaller conventions (IE CT con and the other New England convention) because I feel the staff cares more and knows what they're doing and such... and this goes with out saying, the people are easier to get along with, I feel the need to be with someone I already know at CT con, and this is not the case at AB and the smaller (much smaller conventions) conventions...feel "safer" at this convention...

I always can be myself and not shamed for liking a fandom...the option of trying to get a "free" autograph is nice, and the fact that i feel welcomed is also nice...like people actually want to hang out with me....

could they do better next time? yep, but that's for any convention...
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Apostrophe T
I'm new!

Post by Apostrophe T »

This year, I felt a huge post-con depression that lasted for a couple of days. I felt better maybe Wednesday, but I definitely regretted not taking Monday off of work.
Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:59 pm I always can be myself and not shamed for liking a fandom...the option of trying to get a "free" autograph is nice, and the fact that i feel welcomed is also nice...like people actually want to hang out with me....
I agree with this sentiment. Unlike other conventions, AB feels a lot "safer" and I feel as though people are, overall, more friendly and welcoming than other cons in my experience. (Stress "in my experience"!) I remember my first AB, feeling like I could just relax and be myself for once. I came back from that first experience and just felt sad that it was over. And that's basically been a recurring theme ever since..! This year was the worst, though. I am typically pretty introverted and need to recoup with some alone time, but this year, I'm not sure what happened, but I didn't want to take a break from it at all, ever. It was just really, really nice to be around other folks who "got it" - didn't have to explain the fandom, even the silly stuff (especially the silly stuff - yikes). It was cool to be able to just strike up a conversation with random people - something I'd never otherwise do. I also got to be really loud and obnoxious, which I also never get to do, and that was pretty fun. Going back to "reality" afterward was such a downer!
2014/2015: Dragon Quest 8 Hero
2017: Izumi Curtis | FFX Tonberry | Moogle
Thrillho
Expert Poster

Post by Thrillho »

This year was only my second AB, but it was the first time in about 5 years that I didn't go to PAX East.

I thought I'd miss it, but I really don't.

AB has so many awesome people, such a better cosplay scene, and the Dealer's Room / Artist's Alley is miles better than that clusterf### of an Exhibition Floor at PAX East. I do miss the video game / tabletop game content, but the way PAX handles passes, and how the costs just keep going higher and higher, I'm at the point where I'll always prefer AB over PAX.
Joe aka Gustav
1/4 of Curtain Call Cosplay

AB 2018
Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Zant (Legend of Zelda) / Professor Port (RWBY) / Rintarou Okabe (Steins;Gate) / Wario (Mario Franchise) / Over Justice (Space Patrol Luluco)

AB 2017
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Oscar Pine (RWBY) / Zant (Hyrule Warriors)

AB 2016 (First Time!)
Professor Ozpin (RWBY) / Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Kouta (Elfen Lied)
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

I had an absolutely wonderful time this year at AB. I was exhausted on that Monday after the con, but it was all SOOOO worth it. I am happy I got to go to so many panels, and to be honest, I wish I could have cloned myself so I could go to everything I wanted to go see (many panels overlapped on times, so it was hard trying to choose which ones to go to and which ones to give up). LOL!!

Looking forward to next year. ^_^ ^_^
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

I got Con Flu after coming home from the con, so you know I went through that for a few days. I'm better now thank God. I always get the back aches, shoulder pains and sore feet but this time my whole body was shutting down. Worth it. This year was absolutely wonderful.

As others have mentioned, we're getting older and so our approaches to the events and things to do at the con have taken a step back. When i was years younger I was willing to check out a lot of things going on, now I narrow it down to a few main events, dealers room, Artist Alley and Karaoke. Then dinner and going to bed. As a working adult, I also have limited my purchases because I can only be content with so little. I'd like to have all of the key-chains from my favorite series but I don't really need them. I've become more moderate. In my earlier con years I gave myself a budget because I didn't have a job back then but now I more concerned with using my money wisely and asking myself do I really need to buy this?
There's also a out of the loop feeling. I still continue to watch the newer animes, but the love for the "Retro" shows are becoming obsolete. I was Kiyone in the Deathmatch along with Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo. We were up against the 7 Deadly Sins, a newer show. Guess who got the most cheers? :/ Where are all my fellow older fans at? It was still a fun event, I enjoyed myself. I also like the 7 Deadly Sins, but I like Tenchi more lol. It's just a sad reality I'm beginning to notice. Just like the Masquerade skit with the retro anime cosplayers.

I sang a song at Karaoke, it was Still Alive from the game Portal. To play into the Retro theme, I wanted to bring back this memory of everyone singing this song at AB. I asked everyone, how many of you were here in AB 2008? And like 4 hands raised. lol Anyways, I got some people to clap along. XD

AB is still the best New England con, I'm glad that things ran better this year.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
Cerebral_Boar
AB Alumni

Post by Cerebral_Boar »

I was sick pre-con, had an awesome Friday, and was chronically exhausted after that until about 10 PM Sunday. I still had a lot of fun and knowing I had checked out of the hotel exactly one week ago still feels somewhat surreal. It's back to reality or, rather, back to making new ones. My current signature accurately conveys my feelings about Anime Boston, my first and home convention.
Michael St. Pierre
Anime Boston
Junior Tech Staff 2015-2017
Senior Technical Staff 2018-2019

General Tech Staff 2020-present

"Ain't it funny how it is?
You never miss it 'til it's gone away
And my heart is lying there
And will be 'til my dying day"
Wasted Years by Iron Maiden
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

Nenie wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:41 am
There's also a out of the loop feeling. I still continue to watch the newer animes, but the love for the "Retro" shows are becoming obsolete. I was Kiyone in the Deathmatch along with Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo. We were up against the 7 Deadly Sins, a newer show. Guess who got the most cheers? :/ Where are all my fellow older fans at? It was still a fun event, I enjoyed myself. I also like the 7 Deadly Sins, but I like Tenchi more lol. It's just a sad reality I'm beginning to notice. Just like the Masquerade skit with the retro anime cosplayers.
For the record, I was in the crowd at the Deathmatch cosplaying as Ryo-ohki, and I screamed my lungs out for you guys. Everyone around me looked at me like I was crazy. But you two were awesome!
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

Apostrophe T wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:43 pm This year, I felt a huge post-con depression that lasted for a couple of days. I felt better maybe Wednesday, but I definitely regretted not taking Monday off of work.
Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:59 pm I always can be myself and not shamed for liking a fandom...the option of trying to get a "free" autograph is nice, and the fact that i feel welcomed is also nice...like people actually want to hang out with me....
I agree with this sentiment. Unlike other conventions, AB feels a lot "safer" and I feel as though people are, overall, more friendly and welcoming than other cons in my experience. (Stress "in my experience"!) I remember my first AB, feeling like I could just relax and be myself for once. I came back from that first experience and just felt sad that it was over. And that's basically been a recurring theme ever since..! This year was the worst, though. I am typically pretty introverted and need to recoup with some alone time, but this year, I'm not sure what happened, but I didn't want to take a break from it at all, ever. It was just really, really nice to be around other folks who "got it" - didn't have to explain the fandom, even the silly stuff (especially the silly stuff - yikes). It was cool to be able to just strike up a conversation with random people - something I'd never otherwise do. I also got to be really loud and obnoxious, which I also never get to do, and that was pretty fun. Going back to "reality" afterward was such a downer!
i still haven't recovered the con depression because as soon as i got home from con, i got con plauge pretty bad this time, like i get it yea, but nothing like this >.>; i almost died before con this year, so that didn't help (dono what i had but it hurt to breath and at points through out the day i felt like passing out and never waking up...this was all before con) so i'm just barely getting over the con depression, but it does help that i can talk to my friends i met on facebook, and text, so it's not to bad, but it still sucks that i made what i thought was a local friend then it winds up she's only a state away from me and i can't see her on a regular bases so that got me all sad all over again ._.;

also i hear ya about being the "loud" one, usually i'm not either, but when i hear people getting exited about something i know then i get all hyped too...

like I keep saying, this was the best con, no this was the best con because this happened, but seriously, what better way to top off a convention then meeting your VA idol you've always wanted to meet and being first in line for it, and getting redemption for your coplay group at last convention....so the story with that was, no one showed up last (Summer convention) expect for me and two other people, and we were stuck not knowing how to run said shoot....

AB photo shoot (fan run) had more then 10 people and i got to hang out with a lot of the people after the shoot as well, which again would never happen else where (Even if it were planed like that it would just never happen) so i was all super exited and such...

I might not have come back with a bunch of suvenears, but i came back with alot of memories and stories to tell people, all of which were good and silly...
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective