Umass Lowell??

Looking for an anime club in your area or at a college? That's what this forum is for.
bchan
Veteran Poster

Umass Lowell??

Post by bchan »

hey, this is kinda early for me to be asking, as i don't send in my application until October, but i'm very curious ^^
i was wondering if Umass Lowell has an anime club? i know that a lot of colleges do, so i'm hoping UML does do. i know i wanna go there, and i'm pretty confident i'll be accepted. So anyone know? ^__^
Miamagic
Veteran Poster

Umass Lowell??

Post by Miamagic »

Unfortunelty, there isn't an anime club but there is a hobby club (though I am not a member, they are more scifi and card roleplaying focused in South campus). There are a lot of people into anime at UMASS...you just have to find us ^_^ (ahem*wink*- Actually soon, three of the members of Ikeda Katsu will be going there to study music). Maybe when you transfer, you could start initiating an Anime club. What is you intended major?
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Umass Lowell??

Post by basharoftheages »

There used to be a club. It was an off-shoot of the gaming club, started by many of the same people. There was a member of the administration that did not particularly like those in charge of either club and attempted to make their lives miserable by working towards enacting lots of rules regarding clubs and what they're allowed to do.

The end result - any official club here at UML must be open to all students - they can't hold non-public meetings since they receive (though they don't always) funds from the school budget. Any public event can't show material licensed in any country without paying licensing fees because they are charging their members to watch (mandatory fees that the school makes everyone pay to support clubs, even if you don't receive them make all club events "paid-for events"). All licensing acquisitions (to show anything) must go through a 3rd party service even if you get rights to show things from the companies themselves (most anime companies in the US have a club promotion thing where they give out free licenses to show stuff and even free dvds sometimes). This basically puts an end to any club focused around watching movies, or anime in this case.

My recommendation (and what i'd have done if i had the time in the last 4 years here) would be to do an informal thing that isn't official in any way. Don't expect any support from the university and don't do anything that will make them force you to gain legal club status, or they will ruin you.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
bchan
Veteran Poster

Umass Lowell??

Post by bchan »

Miamagic, i remember you at the saturday bleach photoshoot! nice cosplay ^^

well i hope i'll be able to find all you guys! i wont be there until the fall of 09' though. if you guys are all still there then, then i'd love to meet up with you all. ^^
and my intended major is meteorology.

BasharOfTheAges- oh thats rotten =[ people can be so dumb sometimes.

that really stinks, i talked to a couple people who have anime clubs at their colleges and it sounds really fun.

yeah, that sounds like a good idea, we could always do an informal thing like that.
ruin us? oh man =/
well thanks for the advice though lol ^^
samiti
AB Staff

Umass Lowell??

Post by samiti »

Well, I finally understand the situation a little more, Bashar.

The first time you explained it to me, I wasn't quite sure what was going on, but the whole public meeting and activity fee thing makes it interesting.

However, I still think that the previous club bowed down to legal pressure from an organization that wasn't entitled to be giving it.

Assuming that the Anime companies, being the ACTUAL copyright holders, gave permission for the correct context, then no other "organization" can charge fees claiming to represent them. It sounds like some scare tactics are part of a larger scheme to get money where it doesn't belong.

Anyway, I'm also at UML, but I'm not sure where the Anime fans are here. As someone who isn't part of the gaming club, I probably miss a lot of the connections that would otherwise be made.
Alex Gingerich
Live Video Production Staff - 2012-2014
Special Projects Technical Staff - 2011
...shadow...
Veteran Poster

Umass Lowell??

Post by ...shadow... »

I'm here as well, I'm not part of the gaming club so I have a hard time finding the anime fans here. I keep my con badge on my backpack just in case someone happens to recognize the badge :P
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Umass Lowell??

[quote=samiti]However, I still think that the previous club bowed down to legal pressure from an organization that wasn't entitled to be giving it.
[/quote] You are probably right. If people are willing to fight for it, by all means. I already made enemies of the University by getting my lawyer involved in a scholarship dispute, so I didn't want to make matters worse and have my body be found down-river somewhere. With our new administration and new blood at the helm, I'm sure you can manage to pull off something - even if it has to not have showings or limit the showings to licensed stuff.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Umass Lowell??

Quite a bit of a bump, but the mailing list i'm still on through my CS account has led me to realize there is a club hiding behind the SACM banner that screens stuff on a weekly basis. I don't know what would happen if the ACM found out, but it's there now at least.
Setana
Experienced Poster

Umass Lowell??

Post by Setana »

Go for it UML! Your friends at the Umass Amherst Anime & Manga club wish you the best of luck. Though considering Bashar's horror stories about your administration, it'll be tough going. Still, I can tell you it's worthwhile once you've got it going. Good Luck
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Umass Lowell??

Quite coincidently, I'm sure, the week after I last posted, the SACM stopped their screenings and started doing regular movies again.
Darkvyse88
Determined Poster

Umass Lowell??

Post by Darkvyse88 »

Got to love my college's club facility movement. They banned the Kendo club I was in because of expert trainer need and jazz. The game club is okay, but frankly an Anime club would be so much better.
Cosplay Plans for Anime Boston 2019

Friday: Robert EO Speedwagon (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

Saturday Day: Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain)
Saturday Afternoon: Robert EO Speedwagon (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Saturday Evening: Matt McKenna

Sunday: White Blood Cell (Cells at Work)
bchan
Veteran Poster

Umass Lowell??

Post by bchan »

well it is definate, i will be moving in in the fall.. and it would be overly amazing if there were an anime club, but if it isn't possible then thats too bad =[
what if there was some sort of unofficial anime club? like, are there any loopholes >.> lol
Darkvyse88
Determined Poster

Umass Lowell??

Post by Darkvyse88 »

First off, let me say welcome to UMASS Lowell. I go to the school and I will be a Junior next semester.

As for unoffical, you can just make it a bunch of people in your dorm room having an Anime club. However, if you want a room in McGavern and all that other offical jazz, you have to request it all.

bchan
Veteran Poster

Umass Lowell??

Post by bchan »

thank you! ^-^
ooh i gotcha. but, those dorms are pretty small lol it would get.. kinda squished >.<
Darkvyse88
Determined Poster

Umass Lowell??

Post by Darkvyse88 »

Yeah, they can be. Once you go to Orientation in June, you wil see what they are. Will not hurt to try and make an Anime club offical once you come over. Give me a PM or something if you want some extra help setting it up.

bchan
Veteran Poster

Umass Lowell??

Post by bchan »

oh, well i came to one of the open houses a few months back, so i got to see what the dorms look like then, but i'll also be returning at the begining of april for welcome day.. then again a few days later for the placement tests. but im looking forward to orientation ^^
and sending you a pm now ;P
Arucard is looking to do this, so we could def use some help!
Darkvyse88
Determined Poster

Umass Lowell??

Post by Darkvyse88 »

You are going to enjoy UMASS Lowell. It is a real nice place.

But, back on topic, I have sent you a PM and I will talk with Arucard when I see him next.

HellCat
Expert Poster

Umass Lowell??

Post by HellCat »

Hi every one. I am Arucard also know as HellCat and I’ve started 5 anime clubs and willing to start one at Umass Lowell. Now I will only start this anime club if people are willing to fight for it.
Darkvyse88
Determined Poster

Umass Lowell??

Post by Darkvyse88 »

Don't worry, Arucard. You have a few people behind you already. With what we got planned, I am sure this will go smoothly and without a major hitch in the road.

HellCat
Expert Poster

Umass Lowell??

Post by HellCat »

Cool.
diamondust13
I'm new!

Umass Lowell??

Post by diamondust13 »

Goodness, I wish I'd thought to look on this forum for such a thing earlier lol
Anyway, hi everyone, I go to umass lowell too, how ya doin? =3
A friend and I also wanted to start an anime club and he told me we had a few requirements like 10 people and a moderator for the club, both of which we've obtained and just need to fill out the paperwork and such xD
That said, I read BasherOfTheAges bit there and my resolve to make the club has only been strengthened! >D
So how about everyone meets up to see what we have to work with a few days into the fall semester, hmm? =3
I'm gonna send you all PMs in a day or two if this thread dies off again xD;
Darkvyse88
Determined Poster

Umass Lowell??

Post by Darkvyse88 »

Nice to meet you. Fire me a pm if you have a Facebook. But sure, if you need a hand, I can help you out.

envy puppet
Getting the hang of this...

Umass Lowell??

Post by envy puppet »

I made a facebook group for anyone who uses it.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=85187994058
diamondust13
I'm new!

Umass Lowell??

Post by diamondust13 »

*Bump*
Anyone else out there?