MIT Anime Club

Looking for an anime club in your area or at a college? That's what this forum is for.
Telos
Veteran Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Telos »

Is there anyone here other than me that goes to the filmings?

Anyone? XD
faerietithe
Determined Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by faerietithe »

[quote=Telos]Is there anyone here other than me that goes to the filmings?

Anyone? XD[/quote]
*raises hand* I do! Haven't gone for ages. Not since they showed Gravitation and I walked out of the room. They show some awesome stuff though, I especially like the shorts. I'll start going again once IAP is over.. which is what, next week or something? I want to go again, and bring along friends. We shall organize a meetup.
agiganticpanda
AB Alumni

MIT Anime Club

Post by agiganticpanda »

I did as well. Not forever though. I'm too busy up here at Salem State to make the trips anymore. Though I'm Overton if anyone remember's me. I really haven't seen anyone recently besides Skuld from MIT Anime...
Telos
Veteran Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Telos »

Yeah IAP is over now I think. I'm not even sure what that is, I only started going to MITAC last week.
faerietithe
Determined Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by faerietithe »

[quote=Telos]Yeah IAP is over now I think. I'm not even sure what that is, I only started going to MITAC last week.[/quote]

It's a second semester thing that MIT students do in January, they can take crazy insane classes while getting back into the swing of things after Winter Break. Quite fun, actually. (I think. Not sure yet... one day I'll find out.. I hope.)

But..yes. Every week is basically the same. Is the girl with the giant fan still there, or did she graduate? I think she graduated, so they might have replaced her.
BentKatana
Expert Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by BentKatana »

[color:green]Wait...so, at MIT they show anime? o.o That's dope. =^o^=[/color]
Telos
Veteran Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Telos »

[quote=faerietithe]

It's a second semester thing that MIT students do in January, they can take crazy insane classes while getting back into the swing of things after Winter Break. Quite fun, actually. (I think. Not sure yet... one day I'll find out.. I hope.)

But..yes. Every week is basically the same. Is the girl with the giant fan still there, or did she graduate? I think she graduated, so they might have replaced her.
[/quote]

Stephanie Cross...yeah, she graduated, I believe. I did some quick research on the club and I had read a Globe article on it that started out by mentioning her thing with the fan. Looks like I'm a year too late with that.

That would be awesome if you and others come to future showings. The more the merrier, I always say. ^_^

First time I went it was a little awkward because I didn't know anybody and most of the people there were older than I was. The recent showing though there were more youngsters and I was able to engage in some funny discussions with some of the members during intermissions. There was a slightly bigger showing of people this time around, as last week the cold weather was just absurd.

[quote=BentKatana][color:green]Wait...so, at MIT they show anime? o.o That's dope. =^o^=[/color][/quote]

Mhmm...if it's anything like it's been the past few weeks, we all meet up at 7 PM at the Lecture Hall in Building 6 and watch anime screenings until midnight.
Gular
Expert Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Gular »

What night of the week do they do this? I'm really interested and have never heard of this before (apparently I live under a rock ^^;;).
Telos
Veteran Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Telos »

[quote=Gular]What night of the week do they do this? I'm really interested and have never heard of this before (apparently I live under a rock ^^;;).[/quote]

Friday night : )

You can find more info on the club here:

http://web.mit.edu/anime/www/

Anime screenings are free to the public. The benefit of being a member is that you get to borrow out anime from the collection, get discounts at some local anime stores, and it helps support the club. I joined because I felt like supporting a little something to the cause, plus I get a nifty lamenated card. XD No pressure to join though, just show up and find yourself a seat and enjoy!
Gular
Expert Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Gular »

Thanks!
agiganticpanda
AB Alumni

MIT Anime Club

Post by agiganticpanda »

Yeah MIT is probally one of the best club to be in around Mass. (That's how I joined Ab in 2003!) *Ah memories*
faerietithe
Determined Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by faerietithe »

[quote=agiganticpanda]Yeah MIT is probally one of the best club to be in around Mass. (That's how I joined Ab in 2003!) *Ah memories*[/quote]
Yes, it's quite awesome. They also serve pizza. Which costs money. But it's not bad.
And I might go this Friday, depending... I have stuff to do the next morning, early, but I really want to go.... Whenever the next season starts up, I'll be there.
Telos
Veteran Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Telos »

[quote=faerietithe][quote=agiganticpanda]Yeah MIT is probally one of the best club to be in around Mass. (That's how I joined Ab in 2003!) *Ah memories*[/quote]
Yes, it's quite awesome. They also serve pizza. Which costs money. But it's not bad.
And I might go this Friday, depending... I have stuff to do the next morning, early, but I really want to go.... Whenever the next season starts up, I'll be there.[/quote]

Awesome! ^_^

I've only been a member for two weeks of this club that has been around since 1990, and I'm already excited about it. Not going to lie, I don't usually have much better to do on Friday nights, so I figure it's worth it.

If anyone is planning on coming and they feel like they may get lost trying to find the room (like I did the first time around!), let me know and I'll be willing to meet up with you at the entrance.
Telos
Veteran Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Telos »

Just a reminder if anyone is still interested, we're meeting up tonight at 7. The entrance of which I'm referring to is Building 5 on 77 Mass Ave. right before you get to Memorial Dr. and the Charles River.

Here's a map and some visual aid.

If you are traveling on the T inbound, an easy to way to get there is to get off the train at Harvard station and take either the 1 bus or the CT1 bus, both stop in front of Building 5.

If traveling outbound, the fastest way is to get off at Kendall/MIT and walk, though it can get a little complicated once you're there. I got lost for a bit using MIT's directions.

I'm not sure about parking since I don't drive there, but this site should be able to help you out.

And again, if anyone wants, I'm willing to meet up either in front of Building 5 or at Kendall station and walk you to the club. I know how challenging it can be for anyone that hasn't been there before to find it, so I'd like to make it easier for others. Try to let me know before 5 today if you're interested.
faerietithe
Determined Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by faerietithe »

It's building 7, not building 5, actually. I assume, at least, you're talking about meeting in the main lobby. That's building 7. Building 5 is off of the lobby.
I, unfortunately, shall not be attending, as I have come down with the flu.
Telos
Veteran Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Telos »

[quote=faerietithe]It's building 7, not building 5, actually. I assume, at least, you're talking about meeting in the main lobby. That's building 7. Building 5 is off of the lobby.
I, unfortunately, shall not be attending, as I have come down with the flu.[/quote]

Actually you're right, it is 7. Thanks, I'll make the correction. Also that's too bad about the flu, hope you get better soon. ^_^

Edit - It won't let me edit the previous post. Oh well...it is Building 7, not Building 5.
jnik
Show-off

MIT Anime Club

Post by jnik »

[quote=Telos]If you are traveling on the T inbound, an easy to way to get there is to get off the train at Harvard station and take either the 1 bus or the CT1 bus, both stop in front of Building 5.[/quote]
Central, not Harvard. It's closer, and the CT1 doesn't go to Harvard.

(...and just to muddy stuff further after the fact, if you're on the green line it's fastest to just catch the 1 or CT1 from Hynes. Or walk from there.)
Telos
Veteran Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Telos »

[quote=jnik]
Central, not Harvard. It's closer, and the CT1 doesn't go to Harvard.

(...and just to muddy stuff further after the fact, if you're on the green line it's fastest to just catch the 1 or CT1 from Hynes. Or walk from there.)[/quote]

Thanks, I didn't know that. I should though since I spend most of my time in Central Square. X3

See? This is why I always pray that nobody asks me for directions when I'm walking somewhere! On the way to MIT on Friday, someone had asked me how to get to Building 68 and I felt bad not knowing the answer.
Fetch
Show-off

MIT Anime Club

Post by Fetch »

Interesting note:
On the directions page for MIT Anime, there is a picture of P-chan over a pic of the map.

Are they hinting at something with that?
Telos
Veteran Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Telos »

[quote=Fetch]Interesting note:
On the directions page for MIT Anime, there is a picture of P-chan over a pic of the map.

Are they hinting at something with that?[/quote]

LOL! I hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it (considering Ryoga's poor sense of direction).
faerietithe
Determined Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by faerietithe »

Heh, that's silly. You can get lost even if you have good senses of direction though, I know I still do. I'll be walking to class, and realize I'm on completely the wrong floor for the fourth Saturday in a row... v.v

Hey, how are the series for this turn around? Any good/worth watching the first couple on youtube to catch up with the next weeks'?
Telos
Veteran Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Telos »

They said it at the end of the screening but I forget what all of them were. I think it's going to be a rotation of Scrapped Princess, Gunslinger Girl, and something else. I loved what I've seen of Scrapped Princess so far.
Telos
Veteran Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Telos »

So, anyone want to meet up tomorrow?

I know a few people in the club who are coming to Anime Boston. We've actually begun forming a group.
Fetch
Show-off

MIT Anime Club

Post by Fetch »

I'd like to, but 2 problems.

1: I live in Walpole, so I'd have to leave early to catch the train back home.
(Yes, I have no car. No driver's licence, either.)
2: Sidewalks in my town are still mostly ice. I live a mile from the train station. Walking at night hard enough. But on ice?
Telos
Veteran Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Telos »

The screenings will feature:

* Hataraki Man 1-4
* Gunslinger Girl 1-4
* Happiness! 1-2

[quote=Fetch]I'd like to, but 2 problems.

1: I live in Walpole, so I'd have to leave early to catch the train back home.
(Yes, I have no car. No driver's licence, either.)
2: Sidewalks in my town are still mostly ice. I live a mile from the train station. Walking at night hard enough. But on ice?
[/quote]

I see what you mean. Probably only worth it in your case if you had a ride both to and from.
Larcen Tyler
Experienced Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Larcen Tyler »

7 PM to Midnight, huh? Looks like I'm out, since I don't drive. But I'll still keep it in mind, since I'm trying to find the time to get my license.
Telos
Veteran Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Telos »

[quote=Larcen Tyler]7 PM to Midnight, huh? Looks like I'm out, since I don't drive. But I'll still keep it in mind, since I'm trying to find the time to get my license.[/quote]

I still say give it a shot. The format usually is 4 episodes of one series, a 15-20 minute intermission (food & drink), then 4 episodes of another series, a 5-10 minute intermission, and 2 episodes of a third series to wrap things up. I notice that roughly half the people leave by the 2nd intermission, when the time is approaching 11 PM. It's not uncommon to leave early if that's the most convenient for you, there's no pressure to stay. You can come and go as you please. If it helps, there's a T stop (Kendall) close by, about a 5 minute walk from the lecture hall that the screening takes place in.
Telos
Veteran Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Telos »

Bumping this bad boy up. More people should get in on this!
PatrickD
Sometimes mistaken for Vu

MIT Anime Club

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=Telos]Bumping this bad boy up.[/quote]
Don't do it again. Bumping is against the forum rules you agreed to when you signed up.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
Telos
Veteran Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Telos »

[quote=PatrickD][quote=Telos]Bumping this bad boy up.[/quote]
Don't do it again. Bumping is against the forum rules you agreed to when you signed up.[/quote]

I don't see what the big deal is, honestly. The MIT Anime Club is one of the biggest advocates of Anime Boston that you'll find. Plus there was a gathering organized here on the Anime Boston forums and at that gathering I promised the people there that I would bump the thread for their convenience.

In any case, whether I agree with the rule or not is besides the point. If I violated a rule and it's being enforced straight by the book as appears in this case, then I am sorry for doing so. It's never my intent to do wrong on the forums. You have my word that this won't happen again. Thanks.
Bret
Getting the hang of this...

MIT Anime Club

Post by Bret »

The best way to approach a similar situation in the future would be to alter the features of your statement. Instead of just "bumping" with an added remark, elaborate on the present relevance of the topic at hand.

Example: The MIT Anime Club sure has been grand this year! I am quite sure the attractive community members at the Anime Boston Forums would be delighted to partake of the sweet, sweet nectar that is the MIT Anime Club! Have any fellow community members recently enjoyed the MIT Anime Club?

See! You accomplish your goal while simultaneously contributing to the overall glory that is present relevance.

Hurray! Love and respect for all!

SOOO... MIT Anime Club does get good reviews around the city!
Fetch
Show-off

MIT Anime Club

Post by Fetch »

Hello MIT Anime Club.

There is a con coming to the Hyatt Regency Cambridge in November.
It is the New England Fan Experience
http://www.nefe.us

Part of NEFE is to be Anime.
Since the Hyatt Regency is right next to MIT, I thought asking you guys if you'd care to help with NEFE would be a good idea.
Just go to the site, click Contact Us, and email either the Volunteer Coordinator, Fan Panel Coordinator, or which ever Coordinator would best fit whatever part of the con you think you could help with.

(Sorry if posting this here a bad thing. But if I don't find some people to do anime panels, I'll be stuck in one of the panel rooms at NEFE chained to a chair doing panels. And a mega-otaku, I am not)
PatrickD
Sometimes mistaken for Vu

MIT Anime Club

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=Fetch](Sorry if posting this here a bad thing.[/quote]
Yes. Please do not spam topics with off-topic ads.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
Telos
Veteran Poster

MIT Anime Club

Post by Telos »

[quote=Bret]The best way to approach a similar situation in the future would be to alter the features of your statement. Instead of just "bumping" with an added remark, elaborate on the present relevance of the topic at hand.

Example: The MIT Anime Club sure has been grand this year! I am quite sure the attractive community members at the Anime Boston Forums would be delighted to partake of the sweet, sweet nectar that is the MIT Anime Club! Have any fellow community members recently enjoyed the MIT Anime Club?

See! You accomplish your goal while simultaneously contributing to the overall glory that is present relevance.

Hurray! Love and respect for all!

SOOO... MIT Anime Club does get good reviews around the city![/quote]

Excellent post, Bret. And right on the mark. Thanks! ^_^

There won't be any showings this week (Anime Boston) or next week (MIT school vacation), but MIT Anime Club returns April 4th. There have been fairly decent attendance counts but I'm hoping for more after the convention.