Flags?

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
Ray7979
Getting the hang of this...

Flags?

Post by Ray7979 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:26 pm

I know props can’t be approved before the con and the “if you hit someone with it, would it break or would they break” unwritten rule. But would a flag on a pole or stick be allowed? Has anyone here brought one? I know there was a Connor from assassin’s creed 3 with an American flag on a pole in chess in 2013 or 2014.

Thrillho
Expert Poster

Re: Flags?

Post by Thrillho » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:57 pm

(Not AB Staff Affiliated)

My advice is to go smaller with the pole and flag size if you can. I know I've seen some flags before, but I can only remember ones that were, say, attached to someone's backpack (like the mail carrier from Legend of Zelda) and didn't stick up too high to be a burden when walking through doorways.
Joe aka Gustav
1/4 of Curtain Call Cosplay

AB 2018
Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Zant (Legend of Zelda) / Professor Port (RWBY) / Rintarou Okabe (Steins;Gate) / Wario (Mario Franchise) / Over Justice (Space Patrol Luluco)

AB 2017
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Oscar Pine (RWBY) / Zant (Hyrule Warriors)

AB 2016 (First Time!)
Professor Ozpin (RWBY) / Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Kouta (Elfen Lied)

ksmurf
AB Staff

Post by ksmurf » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:50 pm

Unfortunately, as you succinctly put it: we cannot pre-approve props as weapon checks are handled by Hynes Security.

That said, there is no policy against flags on poles.

Your chances with a wooden pole are better than with a metal pole. The lighter you can make the wood and the prop, the more likely your prop will be approved - but no guarantees.

Also, many areas at Anime Boston are crowded and a large flag on a pole may make it difficult to maneuver. You want to consider a smaller flag like Thrillho suggested.
Alison Bird
AB Cosplay Games Coordinator 2019
AB Cosplay Games Technical Coordinator 2016-2018
Attendee: Anime Boston 2004-2015

ABCosGames - Putting the play in Cosplay!

Nenie
Determined Poster

Post by Nenie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:43 pm

I used a flag and pole for cosplay in AB 2016. But I did a make shift flag pole out of an extending broomstick from Walmart and attached mounting rings to it. Then clipped the actual flag to the mounting rings. What was great about the broomstick was it was collapsible so I could retract it and tuck it away at times. Like when I'm sitting at at panel or eating at a restaurant.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone

snapelicious
AB Staff

Post by snapelicious » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:09 am

(Speaking as a cosplayer and not in staff capacity)

One other thing to keep in mind, if you're using an actual national flag, try to keep flag etiquette in mind. DO keep your flag aloft or neatly folded when not in use. DON'T let it drag on the ground where it might be stepped on.
Cait Webber
After Dark Dating Coordinator
Cosplay Games Staff 2019

ABCosGames - Putting the play in Cosplay!

Ray7979
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Ray7979 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:54 pm

Thanks everyone, I’ll look into getting a retracting broom handle. The flag is actually one I got at the con last year. I’m going as Simon from Gurren Lagann and the flag is from the show, not an actual country. It just seemed fitting to bring it if I could.