Prop question

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
sabbathslytherin
I'm new!

Prop question

Post by sabbathslytherin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:34 pm

So I’ve been very unsure about my prop for the convention, because it’s not a weapon and nothing related to it has been said to be allowed or not allowed. I have a rowing oar that is made of wood. The paddle is made of a thin plywood, and the handle is from fairly thin wood poles. It also comes apart in half, so I can put it together later on, just so it’s easier to get around with. It also isn’t super heavy, if that helps at all. I’ve seen people with wooden props before, but I was just wondering if anyone thinks I’ll be ok with mine? I know I can’t have props pre-approved, but I thought I might ask for some advice just in case. I’m really hoping it’ll be ok, though I won’t actually be sure until I get there. I’ll most likely bring it anyway and see what happens. There was someone last year with the same style prop, although it seemed to be made of another material, so I know that the shape/style isn’t an issue. But yeah, just asking to see if anyone has any advice. :)

papertoadette
Experienced Poster

Re: Prop question

Post by papertoadette » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:18 pm

Hi there,

There is a lovely forum post that talks and provides links to about Cosplay Props/Costumes.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22545

A nice quote from that is: "A helpful guideline to use is: hypothetically, if you hit someone with your prop (we do not condone this), who would break first - the person or your prop?

If the answer is 'the person', your weapon is less likely to be approved. Note: if the answer was 'the prop', this does not guarantee your prop will be approved."

Michelle Light
Junior Tech Staff 2015-2017
Cosplay Games Staff 2018-2019 We Put the PLAY in Cosplay

Cosplays for 2019: Isabelle from Animal Crossing, Sakura from Card Captor Sakura, Toadette from Mario and ??? from ???

JosephW
Veteran Poster

Post by JosephW » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:59 pm

Yeah, that's generally the rule of thumb: if the prop were to hit someone, would it break, or would the person break?

Depending on how big that oar is, I'd say if it weighs any more than 3 or 4 pounds, it will probably get turned down.
AB 2018: Nick Wilde
AB 2019: Haida (Fri) / Inkling Boy (Sat)

sabbathslytherin
I'm new!

Post by sabbathslytherin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:35 pm

JosephW wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:59 pm
Yeah, that's generally the rule of thumb: if the prop were to hit someone, would it break, or would the person break?

Depending on how big that oar is, I'd say if it weighs any more than 3 or 4 pounds, it will probably get turned down.
I’m not sure how much it weighs, but it probably is more than that. Would trying to hollow out the pole a bit maybe help?

Also yeah, I’ve heard about that rule of thumb before, but I don’t think it always applies, because my friends and I have all brought props made with pretty sturdy PVC pipes before, which could definitely hurt somebody if you really wanted to, but those were allowed with no issue, so it just seems a bit odd to me, idk.

I’ve just worked really hard on it and I’ll be really devastated if it gets turned down.

JosephW
Veteran Poster

Post by JosephW » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:41 pm

sabbathslytherin wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:35 pm
I’m not sure how much it weighs, but it probably is more than that. Would trying to hollow out the pole a bit maybe help?

Also yeah, I’ve heard about that rule of thumb before, but I don’t think it always applies, because my friends and I have all brought props made with pretty sturdy PVC pipes before, which could definitely hurt somebody if you really wanted to, but those were allowed with no issue, so it just seems a bit odd to me, idk.

I’ve just worked really hard on it and I’ll be really devastated if it gets turned down.
Yeah, I definitely get the feeling, I've also got a weapon prop that I don't know if it will be accepted, and will pretty much make the cosplay...not good, if I can't use it. (but that's what my backup cosplays are for, heh)

Hollowing it out might help, but still, if it's a big hunk of wood and weighs any more than 5-10 pounds or so, it might get turned down.
AB 2018: Nick Wilde
AB 2019: Haida (Fri) / Inkling Boy (Sat)