How to style a wig?

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
JosephW
Expert Poster

How to style a wig?

Post by JosephW » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:50 pm

I'm trying to find the right wig for my Haida cosplay, and not having much luck. The first one I bought was too small and too short, and also looked like a freakin' bowl cut. The second one I bought is way too long, there's just hair everywhere all over my face and such. I've used wigs a whole lot in the past for multiple cosplays, but never really had to style them; they just looked nice enough right out of the packaging.

I figured I'd at least try to make this 2nd wig work before I go blow more money on a third wig, but I'm a guy who always has short hair so I don't know the first thing about styling or trimming hair, especially on wigs. I don't do anything style-wise with my hair other than get it cut real short every 3-4 months :lol:

Anyway, this is the wig I've got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01COSBYBO/

Not looking for any hairstyle in specific (since Haida really doesn't have any "hair", just a brown head), just something short that looks kinda...I dunno, plain? Sorta just looking to trim it shorter so there's not a bunch of hair in front of my face, and uh...whatever else comes along with that.

Shiroikami
Veteran Poster

Re: How to style a wig?

Post by Shiroikami » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:39 am

Arda Wigs has a whole page of really great video tutorials here: https://www.arda-wigs.com/blogs/tutoria ... aster-list just scroll down to the styling section. There's not a lot on cutting wigs, but there are several on doing things like spikes or bangs that might help.

If you're just looking to cut the wig to style it, I'd say your best bet would be to either have someone else trim and style it while you wear it, or to get a wig head (or just a big styrofoam ball approximately the same size as your head, then glue it to a square base of some sort for stability) and trim and style it a little bit at a time. Aquanet hairspray will be your friend for getting a style to stay in place.
Flying is easy. You just have to learn to throw yourself at the ground... and miss...

2007 - Shinigami in Pink
2008 - Mitsuru (Persona 3)
2010 - Jade Curtiss: Doctor Mambo costume title (Tales of the Abyss)
2012 - Xion (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days)
2013 - Yukionna
2014 - Kyubei (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
2015 - Sailor Jupiter
2016 - Akatsuki (Log Horizon)
2017 - Sailor Jupiter

Selestyl
Determined Poster

Re: How to style a wig?

Post by Selestyl » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:01 pm

Also for cutting, the easiest time I had was to take some in between my fingers and trim with the scissors facing upwards or downwards. Cutting straight across is like sawing and has never worked well for me; it leaves the edges ragged and uneven. It takes time to do it the way I suggested but the result looks a lot better to me. Good luck!
2019 Lineup:
Ignis Scientia, FFXV
Tressa Colzione, Octopath Traveler (accompanied by better half as Alfyn Greengrass, Octopath Traveler!)
(Someone tell me to not do a Nico-chan-senpai cosplay from Run With the Wind...)