Looking for a new cosplay?

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
NaraHale
Getting the hang of this...

Looking for a new cosplay?

Post by NaraHale » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:31 pm

I'm not sure if this is exactly the right place to post this, but I thought I'd ask!

I've (not so recently) gained a lot of weight, so not only do my old cosplays not fit me anymore, my self-confidence is in the gutter because I feel like I look nothing like the characters I try to cosplay.

Some of my newer cosplays are Yuri Plisetsky from Yuri!!! on Ice, Joker from Persona 5, Sango from InuYasha, and Komaeda from Dangan Ronpa, Ultra Despair Girls variant. I love those characters, but I didn't love myself in those cosplays.

I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas for plus sized cosplay characters that are fun that might help me get back into the cosplaying groove? Cosplay is my favorite hobby, and I don't want to lose it due to poor self-esteem.

The only one I can think of is Rose Quartz from Steven Universe, and while I love Rose Quartz, I'm not certain if I want to cosplay her. It's something I'm considering though.

What do you guys think?
--------------------------------------------------------
Anime Boston 2019 Lineup (All Cosplays are subject to change. No definite plans yet)
Glimmer (She Ra Reboot)
DC Bombshells Wonder Woman
Cassidy (Pokemon Anime)
Sango (InuYasha)

Kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Re: Looking for a new cosplay?

Post by Kiarrens » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:49 pm

Oof. I know these feels all too well.

It's hard to give advice because, as we all know, cosplay has so much to do with love of the character first and foremost. Without knowing which characters you love, how can I tell you who you should be? This said... there are some tricks to feeling more confident in certain cosplays. You can tailor them to be more flattering to your own unique body type! When I cosplayed as Saber from Fate/Stay Night, I brought the waistline of the skirt up higher than it was in the original design so it was more flattering. Or you could choose to do AU versions of the characters you love, or just alternate outfits. For Yurio, you could wear one of his casual outfits rather than his performance ones. For Sango, you could do her kimono instead of her battle outfit!

Personally, I think that everyone should feel confident enough to cosplay whoever they love without having to worry about how they look. But I know (from experience) that it's so hard to overcome those self-image issues and feel comfortable doing so. I hope you can find a character/design that you love and makes you happy!
Lyndsey Zusi
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Divison 2019
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."