Fabric pattern and color help/advice

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
Mauralucky7
Getting the hang of this...

Fabric pattern and color help/advice

Post by Mauralucky7 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:41 am

Hi everyone. I cosplay Katsushika Hokusai from Fate: Grand Order who can be seen here Image

I've looked at buyable costumes on Amazon and ebay and the kimono in those are all one solid flowing single piece of fabric despite multiple color changes as seen in these two photos below

The only way I can think that the makers of the kimono did this was fabric print the design straight on and then cut it out. Does anyone else have any idea how they made it or thoughts on how you'd make it so that when I attempt to make it myself it wont be a complete disaster?
AB 2014 - Erza Scarlet Heavens Wheel Armor. Done!
AB 2015 - Erza Scarlet Heavens Wheel Armor remade. Potentially Varia suit as well.

MandaTifa
AB Staff

Re: Fabric pattern and color help/advice

Post by MandaTifa » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:29 pm

I am by no means an expert on the matter, but if I were making it, I would "quilt" together the red and grey fabrics and then make the kimono from that, then use iron-on transfers for the circular designs. You could also use iron-on for the hexagonal designs on the obi.
Amanda Graves
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2019
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016, 2018

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Be strong, Red XIII."

Shiroikami
Veteran Poster

Re: Fabric pattern and color help/advice

Post by Shiroikami » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:25 pm

The ones you're looking at look like professionally done composite or printed patterns. The obi is definitely a custom print, and I would bet the same is true of the pattern for the darker bottom part as well.

But I think if you're trying to do it yourself, your best bet would be to do something like what MandaTifa suggested. If I were making it, I would cut the colors separately, piece the red and purple parts together with a fine single-stitch seam, and maybe draw the design in chalk on the purple and then go over it with a tight zigzag embroidery stitch in black thread to make the design. For the white, just use some fusible web to make iron-on "patches", and finish the edges with either a 1/8 inch single-fold hem, or cover the raw edges with an embroidery stitch all the way around.

For the obi, finding yellow/orange plaid will definitely be easier than finding that specific pattern, so making "patches" again, but using fabric marker to draw the finer lines of that pattern.
Flying is easy. You just have to learn to throw yourself at the ground... and miss...

2007 - Shinigami in Pink
2008 - Mitsuru (Persona 3)
2010 - Jade Curtiss: Doctor Mambo costume title (Tales of the Abyss)
2012 - Xion (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days)
2013 - Yukionna
2014 - Kyubei (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
2015 - Sailor Jupiter
2016 - Akatsuki (Log Horizon)
2017 - Sailor Jupiter