Tokyo Revengers Meetup & Photoshoot - Friday

Organize cosplay groups, gatherings, and photoshoots in this forum. Post those "Is anyone going as ___?" and "I'm going as ___." threads in here. Please use descriptive subject lines.
cosmiclune
AB Alumni

Tokyo Revengers Meetup & Photoshoot - Friday

Post by cosmiclune »

I'm hosting a Tokyo Revengers meetup and photoshoot on Friday of Anime Boston 2022!
If you're also cosplaying from Tokyo Revengers on Friday, May 27th to Anime Boston, please join us in the Hynes Convention Center at the Dorayaki meetup location (Outside Room 313) at 3:00pm for an hour of pictures and vibes! MASKS ARE REQUIRED. Location and time subject to change.

I'll be cosplaying Valhalla Baji and my boyfriend will be with me as my Chifuyu! Even if you're not cosplaying, feel free to stop by!

Join the Facebook event if you're interested in attending to receive more regular updates!
Anime Boston Staff - Idol Showcase Coordinator 2020, 2022
Instagram | Twitter
— — — — — — — —

★☆ 2022 LINEUP: ☆★
Thursday & Friday: Baji Keisuke (Tokyo Revengers)
Saturday: Riko Sakurauchi (Love Live!) w/ Idolized!
Sunday: L Lawliet (Death Note)
Linkhylia
I'm new!

Re: Tokyo Revengers Meetup & Photoshoot - Friday

Post by Linkhylia »

Hello!
This might sound like a dumb question; but if I were to cosplay a TR character that had a Manji on their outfit , would I potentially be frowned upon or violate the dress code? Would it be best for me to cover it? It’s common for people to not know the difference between the hate symbol and the Manji and I just want to check in before I show up because I don’t want to offend anyone.
Thank you!
Link
cosmiclune
AB Alumni

Post by cosmiclune »

Linkhylia wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:34 pm Hello!
This might sound like a dumb question; but if I were to cosplay a TR character that had a Manji on their outfit , would I potentially be frowned upon or violate the dress code? Would it be best for me to cover it? It’s common for people to not know the difference between the hate symbol and the Manji and I just want to check in before I show up because I don’t want to offend anyone.
Thank you!
Link
Hi friend!
Thanks so much for asking. That's an excellent question actually, not a dumb one at all! This is something that has been a concern of mine as well, along with a few others who have also approached me with the same question.

I've brought this matter up with the rest of AB staff, and we're waiting for the convention managers to get back to us with a final decision on if there will be an official announcement regarding this or not. But for now, the best thing I can advise would be to for you (and any other cosplayers planning on wearing the Toman uniform) to please cover up or replace the manji symbol in any place it may appear on your cosplay.

Currently, the manji symbol is not explicitly covered in our cosplay dress code policy. However, after having a discussion with fellow staff members, this may change in the coming days. Our main concern is that despite the manji symbol holding a different denotation and visual appearance from the hate symbol, as you said, that knowledge is not as common here in the Western part of the world as it is in Japan. Additionally, the mirrored visual distinction may not be prominent enough for average con-goers to recognize the difference.

Another thing we've had to consider is that even in if someone does know the context behind the differentiation of the two symbols, seeing something so visually similar to the hate symbol has the potential to trigger distress to attendees, as well.

Our primary goal is to do whatever we can to make sure the con runs as smoothly and without conflict as possible, and to make sure every person in attendance has the best con they possibly can. That being said, whether we ultimately end up officially updating the cosplay policy to restrict the manji symbol or not, Tokyo Revengers cosplayers will be welcomed at Anime Boston either way. It will either be the case that cosplayers will be required to cover/replace the symbol at all times, or (if an official rule banning the symbol is not instated) if an issue is to arise, it will be up to the individual staffer's discretion. Regardless of what the verdict ends up being, I know I'll be carrying around a roll of black duct tape for anyone who may need it. :lol:

Sorry for the super lengthy answer, but hopefully this helps! Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions, I'll be sure to update this thread as soon as we have reached a final decision in regards to this subject. I hope to see you at the con!
Instagram | Twitter
— — — — — — — —

cosmiclune
AB Alumni

Post by cosmiclune »

MANJI SYMBOL UPDATE

Anime Boston has addressed this concern, and we have since officially updated convention policies on the Cosplay FAQ page of our website. The preexisting rule that explicitly prohibits hate symbols and societally frowned upon elements has been expanded upon, and now additionally prohibits any symbols or costumes that may bear a striking resemblance to said depictions and could be mistaken as such by the average attendee.

This includes the Manji symbol.

Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 5.24.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 5.24.02 PM.png (111.16 KiB) Viewed 304 times

If you are planning on cosplaying a character from Tokyo Revengers with a Toman uniform (or a character from any other series that incorporates the Manji symbol into the cosplay), please cover up or remove it. This can be done with black duct tape, fabric, sharpie, or anything you can think of to hide the symbol from public view. We as staff members reserve the right to ask anyone with the Manji symbol present on their cosplay to cover it up, and can potentially provide resources for doing so if necessary.

DokiDoki Cosplay currently sells Toman uniforms for individual characters without the Manji symbol.

In order to maintain as peaceful of an event as possible for everyone, please make sure you cover up your Manji symbol before entering the general public.
Instagram | Twitter
— — — — — — — —

cosmiclune
AB Alumni

Post by cosmiclune »

Hello everyone! To everyone who attended the meetup on Friday, it was so awesome to see all your incredible cosplays and meet so many new wonderful people.

The pictures have been posted to the event page on Facebook, and I've also made a Discord Server (more active) and Facebook Group for any Tokyo Revengers cosplayers in the area that the pictures are posted to as well.

Anyone who stopped by the meetup is more than welcome to join either of these, and those who couldn't make it/any other Tokyo Revengers cosplayers from the East Coast are encouraged to join as well! They will aim to provide a space for cosplayers and fans of the series to make connections with new people, share their cosplays and resources, plan meetups, photoshoots and cosplay gatherings, and of course socialize on a broader level about Tokyo Revengers. We'd love to get to know even more more people who share the same passion for this series and cosplay in general as we do, and potentially coordinate more meets with you all in the future.

Thanks again everyone, see you next year!
Instagram | Twitter
— — — — — — — —