Question about Booking Hotels

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
kittehspring
Getting the hang of this...

Question about Booking Hotels

Post by kittehspring »

Hi all!

This upcoming AB will be the first time I am going to be booking a hotel by myself! We have at least 4 people going with us, at max potentially 6. Just wondering if it would be worth it to wait for the con rates?

I was having trouble finding a relatively cheap hotel within reasonable walking distance, so I'm not sure if that's because rooms are being held for AB?

Thanks!
~Cosplays~
AB 11: Taiwan, Seychelles
AB 12: Eclectica Jade, Gakuen Seychelles
AB 13: Meulin
AB 14: Konohana Sakuya
AB 15: Monomi
AB 16: Monomi
AB 17: Junker D.VA
AB 18: Emily (Overwatch) , Kageyama
AB: 19: Junker D.va
AB 22: Haru (Beastars), Sasori
InuMiroLover

Re: Question about Booking Hotels

Post by InuMiroLover »

Boston is a major metropolitan city so the hotels in the area are going to be pricey! So if you're looking for a decent hotel in the <$200 a night range and is very close to the con, you're going to have your work cut out for you.

As with any con, the main hotel is going to have a reduced rate. Ive recently started going to AB and stayed at the Sheraton (AB's main hotel) and paid like around ~900 for Thursday to Sunday. I know that's alot ( Im going to be snarky here and say that Ive stayed at many con hotels and paid less for the weekend and had more accommodations and more room size but its Boston so what can you do lol) but remember that you have a group, so everyone is paying their share of the room instead of just one person handling the entire cost. Just be sure that once you've got the room, let everyone (who is 100% down for the room) know ASAP how much their share is, so that they have time to have it set aside.

I suspect that Anime Boston will be announcing the room rates for the Sheraton within the coming weeks so you DEFINITELY want to keep tabs on their social media and website because the rooms are going to go fast. It wouldnt hurt to have a Plan B hotel in mind in case you cant get the Sheraton.

Now if I were you, I would stick with just having 4 people in the room. Fire code is a thing first and foremost, and if you've never stayed at the Sheraton, the standard rooms are kinda small in my opinion. Factor in everybody's luggage, cosplay and props, there really isnt room for 2 people to sleep on the floor. I know the Sheraton has larger suites or rooms that can in theory accommodate more people, but when Ive booked for AB Ive only seen standard rooms available. Not suites. So if you feel you need more space, you might have to consider getting 2 rooms, or calling the hotel directly to see about getting a suite. Both options are going to be a serious drain on everyone's wallet.

If you're still trying to keep the cost low for everyone, maybe you can see about getting an Airbnb in the area, but Im not familiar with that since Im more comfortable with hotels. Otherwise, you may have to consider ridesharing back and forth if the hotels near the con arent a feasible option for you and your group. Hope this helps you though!
kittehspring

Post by kittehspring »

That helps a lot! Thanks for the info!!
InuMiroLover

Post by InuMiroLover »

kittehspring wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:47 pm That helps a lot! Thanks for the info!!
No problem! Also 2 really important tidbits that I forgot to mention!

If you are using a debit card, ASK THE HOTEL ABOUT INCIDENTAL CHARGES and PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO ONE NIGHT DEPOSIT UPON BOOKING!

Incidentals are the stuff that is not included in the final bill, like say you got room service or you bought something from the hotel mini mart and had it charged to whoever's name is on the room. The room is paid in full when you check in, so this covers the hotel if you get something extra. Hotels typically charge a certain amount per night (like $50+ depends on the hotel) and it appears as a hold in your bank statement. This is money YOU GET BACK a few business days later, and it would be the entire amount assuming you didnt purchase extra stuff or destroyed the room. (Asking for things like extra towels or hand soaps arent incidentals so dont worry) Now I dont think I was charged incidental fees last AB, but I always call about the fees anyway and have that amount of money on standby. I suggest doing the same.

Now you gotta pay attention to the policy on one night's deposit. It should appear somewhere upon booking since we're using the own con's reservation link for this. After you reserve, you'll of course get the confirmation email. But SOMETIMES, you may have to pay upfront or a period of time later for one night of the room. This 1000% assures your room! But if for one reason or another the hotel cannot receive payment, (like say there is not enough money in the bank account to cover the cost) you lose the room!
This is kinda con-dependent since Ive been to cons where I immediately paid for one night, paid a month later after booking, the month of the con or I paid in full when I arrived. I remember that this year's AB, I paid in full and didnt have to do a one night deposit. But for AB 2019 Im fairly certain the hotel took the deposit out a few weeks prior to it. The cons Ive been to where pre-payment typically comes much later, were really good at reminding their attendees to expect the one night deposit to be taken out soon. So there's that! But Ive booked rooms enough times to know that there should be a notice in your face about the first night deposit. Just make sure you have that money around.

Also If you have questions about booking, get in touch first with the organization that is handling the con's booking. The hotel doesnt get the rooming list from the middleman organization until almost con time so they have to be your first contact if you need assistance, but they're easy to get ahold of.

Im sorry if this is alot, but I think that this is all super duper important to know since you are handling the booking. The room is in YOUR name, its YOUR card that is on file, so you really want to be on top of what's going on so that you dont have any unwanted surprises that could compromise your stay.