Feedback thread? Feedback thread! 2022

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Feedback thread? Feedback thread! 2022

Post by Nemra »

Please post feedback (good & bad) here regarding Anime Boston 2022.

Rules:
1) This is not the place to post constructive criticism regarding previous years, but only for Anime Boston 2022.

2) Do not disrespect each other or staff. If you disagree with something, feel free to discuss, but we will not tolerate blatant disrespect for your fellow attendee or staff.

3) This is also not the place to post feedback for panelists. There should be an entire section for panelists to use for feedback in the appropriate forum, so use those. However, if you have feedback regarding the way panels are handled by AB staff, this is the place to post it.

4) This is not the appropriate thread for Staff feedback. Please use the Staff forums for feedback regarding your division.

Don't forget that there is also a Convention Feedback Panel on Sunday from 4-5pm in room 207.

Please do not expect an immediate response from Staff even after the con is over. While the convention is over for everyone, for staff it is very much still being worked on and we're winding down and resolving many things on the back end. Be assured, however, that we are reading every comment and taking it in full consideration during the convention and after.

It would be immensly helpful if everyone could also take a moment to fill out our feedback form!
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Nemra
AB Asst Director

Re: Feedback thread? Feedback thread! 2022

Post by Nemra »

opening it up early!
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Leg3ndaryGamer7
I'm new!

Post by Leg3ndaryGamer7 »

Hi me and my friend attended anime Boston earlier today Friday may 27th 2022 and we both ended up buying multiple blu ray DVDs of different anime's and hanimes. But when we got home and checked to see if the blu rays worked, none of them ended up working at all. we ended up trying to get these blu ray DVD's to work by using a blu ray DVD player as well as an original Xbox one console and again none of the blu rays we bought at the convention earlier today ended up working at all? and my friend is pretty upset about it since he ended up spending $200+ on blu rays today so I just wanted to ask if anyone has any potential solutions we can try to get these blu ray discs to work or what next steps we can take from here to resolve this issue.

I would also like to mention that all the blu ray DVD's we bought were brand new and came sealed in plastic wrapping and everything so none of the discs should have been scratched or damaged whatsoever at all.
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Leg3ndaryGamer7 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:13 pm Hi me and my friend attended anime Boston earlier today Friday may 27th 2022 and we both ended up buying multiple blu ray DVDs of different anime's and hanimes. But when we got home and checked to see if the blu rays worked, none of them ended up working at all. we ended up trying to get these blu ray DVD's to work by using a blu ray DVD player as well as an original Xbox one console and again none of the blu rays we bought at the convention earlier today ended up working at all? and my friend is pretty upset about it since he ended up spending $200+ on blu rays today so I just wanted to ask if anyone has any potential solutions we can try to get these blu ray discs to work or what next steps we can take from here to resolve this issue.

I would also like to mention that all the blu ray DVD's we bought were brand new and came sealed in plastic wrapping and everything so none of the discs should have been scratched or damaged whatsoever at all.
What was the region coding on them? It might be as simple as that for the issue.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
Leg3ndaryGamer7
I'm new!

Post by Leg3ndaryGamer7 »

Kalyoth wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:12 pm
Leg3ndaryGamer7 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:13 pm Hi me and my friend attended anime Boston earlier today Friday may 27th 2022 and we both ended up buying multiple blu ray DVDs of different anime's and hanimes. But when we got home and checked to see if the blu rays worked, none of them ended up working at all. we ended up trying to get these blu ray DVD's to work by using a blu ray DVD player as well as an original Xbox one console and again none of the blu rays we bought at the convention earlier today ended up working at all? and my friend is pretty upset about it since he ended up spending $200+ on blu rays today so I just wanted to ask if anyone has any potential solutions we can try to get these blu ray discs to work or what next steps we can take from here to resolve this issue.

What was the region coding on them? It might be as simple as that for the issue.
they r all region A which means they should work since I live in North America
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Leg3ndaryGamer7 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:23 pm they r all region A which means they should work since I live in North America
Best I can advise is return to the vendor & discuss it with them. I hope there was a receipt involved as it sounds like the potential for "mysterious" merchandise.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

to follow up on that as well, if there are issues with a vendor at-con, please alert our exhibits staff. They're located in the dealer's room, immediately to the right of the Hall D entrance.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Garysanderson96
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Garysanderson96 »

First of all, thank you for hosting the convention, it's my first time went to an anime convention. I like it a lot.
Also, thank you for inviting Asca and have panels about her. I love it a lot.
Everything is great, however, there is one things I want to have feedback on.
- If you guys are giving tickets for the concert, for this year was Asca and Eye-Q, can you guys make announcements for it to be known that "To go to concert need to get Event Ticket from the Event Queue Ticket at third floor of the Hynnes (Don't know the place) from 8AM to something end time". I didn't heard anything and only know that there's ticket need for the concert only when I walked past the empty Event Queue Counter with a board announced all the ticket for Asca and Eye-Q concert has been given out, and when I went to the information desk to asked, the desk confirmed it. I was shocked cause, on the schedule it didn't say anything. But only on the guidebook app that it showed tickets needed. Luckily I was able to got into the concert, but still, if need ticket to get in, it would be better to announced widely to let everyone know. Ok, I admit I may missed something for the ticket required announcement, but checking on the website schedule said nothing about needed ticket.
Other than that, the event is/was great for me. Spent so much money on merchandise from Asca and figures lol
Thank you for hosting this event, can't wait to see who will be the Guest of Honor from Japan next year.
Again, thank you
Mirotic
Veteran Poster

Post by Mirotic »

Resting my feet as the con comes to a close. Wow! What a way to come back. 2022 was definitely a fun year for me.

The good
  • Artist Alley - the artists this year were amazing! Literally every table impressed me.
  • Not having to go to the Sheraton for autographs
  • The cosplayers! Great costumes by everyone, so fun to see
  • A lively Sunday, partially because it's not Easter I'm sure
  • Security was very quick (but made me wonder how well that machine really works)
  • Every AB staff member I interacted with was so nice
  • The people in the AB photo suite in particular were all 10/10
  • LOVED the two photo sets up on the third floor of the Hynes. Very cute and well done.
  • Loved the use of the Hynes ballroom A (I believe it was) for cosplay shoots. Great way to give those big fandoms a lot of room.
The bad
  • One huge downside to autographs in Hall B is standing on that awful concrete floor. When it was in the Sheraton, at least we were on carpet.
  • Seemed like there weren't enough slots for speed friending.
  • Dealers Room was underwhelming. I think the HiDive and TMobile booths really made that entire half of the DR feel empty.
  • On Friday night there were teenagers in the con with skateboards causing a scene. I believe they weren't attendees? Major red flag for security if so.
  • Many similar panel listings, understand it depends on who applies too
  • Some of the usual, every year stuff:
    • People blocking entire pathways for photos. Please move to the side or stand in a way where people can walk around you! If you're a large group talking or taking photos, please stand on the side of the hall.
      • Sneak photos, yes we see you.
I believe if time passes, everything turns into beauty. If the rains stop, tears clean the scars of memory away. Everything starts wearing fresh colors. Every sound begins playing a heartful melody. Jealousy embellishes a page of the epic. Desire is embraced in a dream. But my mind is still in chaos and..
2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 / 2019 / 2020 / 2021 / 2022
Kanechan
Expert Poster

Post by Kanechan »

Given that this show took three years to put on, due to the pandemic, I can forgive it for being somewhat lackluster compared to previous years. Guests were okay but not quite as phenomenal a selection as in prior years, the panels were varied but not always as interesting (too few industry panels IMO, but that just goes to show the general state of things these days), and the dealers' room didn't seem as packed or lively as usual. One could say there was a certain melancholy hanging over this year's con because of the pandemic and current events. I can only hope for a return to the high style of previous outings next year.
Klein bottle for rent; inquire within.
Cat_O
I'm new!

Post by Cat_O »

Very nice to be back.

Thank you so much for requiring full vaccinations and mask wearing, that made it possible for me to attend!

The Hynes Security and staff didn't do a very good job of wearing their masks over mouth and nose, but at least I didn't have to spend very much time in their vicinity.
izzysanime

Post by izzysanime »

I really think the speediness of the security lines is the best improvement I have seen. Wi-Fi is also much faster/reliable than in the past too.

Suggestions:
More food options would be great. I remember in the past, there where food stalls outside the hynes which was amazing.
More real time updates on canceled panels. A couple panels i planed to go to where cancelled and I wasted time leaving another panel early for them.
Being able to pre purchase special event tickets like concerts or autographs before hand. (some other anime cons have a similar setup)
Vietx2k
I'm new!

Post by Vietx2k »

Would very much enjoy a live stream/recording on panels I miss out on.

Would not mind paying a small fee to keep the video up for a week after the convention is over.

Great service for those who cannot physically attend the con but want a small piece of the convention. For example the Masquerade, Hololive Event, AMV contest, etc.
LtTawnyMadison
I'm new!

Post by LtTawnyMadison »

The convention itself was fantastic. However the process of getting our badges was difficult. We were in line for over an hour just to get our badges. If there was an option to have them mailed, I didn't see it. With PAX, they mail the badges in advance, and there is no line. I'd like to suggest this for you for future Anime Boston conventions to reduce the lines.
iFang-San
Veteran Poster

Post by iFang-San »

I'll be the first one to say it: the Max Mittelman autograph debacle.
I get that they handed out too many free tickets, but when you say that you're guaranteed your autograph, you should be getting your autograph even if the con has to shell out for it to cover for the overage of tickets they handed out in some kinda form
And another point on the autographs, you can't find anything about pricing for the paid autographs online

For so much that was absolutely spectacular about a post lockdown con, the autograph handling has really left a sour taste in my mouth
iLoveToxicAnimeMen

Post by iLoveToxicAnimeMen »

I had a wonderful time. My experience was great and I hope yours was too. I felt good to be back at all, after two years. I never cared about panels/guests/etc. all that stuff doesn't matter to me so I'm not really taking it into account. I only go to the main events and spend my time people watching and socializing! This year was good for me because I didn't let my nervousness/anxiety control me.

Liked:
1. no line to get in! LineCon was terrible in past years. I'm so happy that the lines moved quickly (except for a bit on Saturday? Did one of the machines break or they just brought out more? I feel like they should have had those extras there in the first place) so that was great! However I'm wondering how well those machines work and how safe the con really was now. Because going from metal detectors and bag checks to just a quick walkthrough machine was really shocking.

2. main events I saw were great, opening ceremony, masquerade, and the dating game were a blast! I wish I'd seen chess and the deathmatch but I'm sure they were amazing too.

3. many nice experiences with really nice people, got to meet a lot. The few staff members I spoke to were fantastic.

4. I LOVED the slumber party. I thought it was adorable and fun; I really enjoyed the concept! Thanks to whoever had the idea. I can't wait to see what's added for it next year!!! I think a smaller room might be a bit better though as that one was super big.

5. staff/volunteers did a great job of keeping things moving along fast and organized. Everyone was incredibly nice and polite and they clearly worked really hard. Any time I had a question they were just so awesome.

Didn't Like:
1. security didn't wear masks. I respect the mask mandate (even though I 100% believe it's silly and didn't make sense given the situation, I think it should've been optional) but my personal feeling aside;, I feel like it would have been nice that everyone in the con should have had to wear one - security included. The fact that they didn't just made the whole thing feel weird.

2. this one isn't from myself, but I've seen a lot of people mention this so I will bring it up here in case those guys don't use the forums: there apparently has been a lot of negativity with how people with physical disabilities, specifically how they've been treated. Anime Boston has reminders of masks and how to properly wear them, as well as the safety PSA video - do you think possibly some kind of reminder or message on how to be respectful to those folks with physical disabilities could go into place? Perhaps just adding that in the PSA like "by the way, please be mindful of those around you who might have difficulties navigating" or something would be great. Or even signs.

Especially by the elevators within the Hynes, as that seemed to be where the biggest issue was. Also, I can't confirm this but I saw on twitter that there weren't enough wheelchairs, or there was a problem with the wheelchairs or something? Not entirely sure but I've seen this a bit on social media. Might be nice to keep that in mind for the next con to consider ways to be more accessible and welcoming to people with mobility issues. Someone else is free to bounce off of this if that has personally affected you, I just wanted to bring it up.
—————————♡—————————

AB Attendee Since 2010
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

So far 3 points.

1. Get more venders next year. It seemed like there was less than half the usual venders. You had t mobile taking atleast 6 venders worth of floor space.

2. This year's water bottle the plastic seems really thin and feels like it will fail sooner than later. Bring back the stainless steel ones. I get with the higher costs of everything you probably felt going with plastic to keep the $5 price was the way to go, but I rather pay a higher price on something more sturdy that feels like it will last. I have my 1st one from ab13' I've dropped it numerous times and dented it up but it still going, this year's feels like one drop while filled will do it in.

3. More "classic" va's. I understand the want to get as many va's with current/upcoming shows airing but would love to see some that had major roles in the 90's/early 2000's.

A few post up poster mentioned wanting more industry booths and panels. I fear that with all the merging that might be a thing of the past and out of ab control.
ssockie
I'm new!

Post by ssockie »

Glad to be back! Con Staff was amazing as always and their hard work was appreciated!!

Some quick thoughts from the drive home:
-can you raise screens so subs and content are more visible in panel rooms for people in the back
-masquerade mention title of anime in intro to skits instead of at the end. Sometimes it is hard to tell who the characters are right away, especially depending on where you are seated
-in and out of the Hynes was smooth this year. Easy to go to Sheraton and back for panels in different places
-can we increase size of artists alley to allow more artists to attend? Wider hallways in artists alley made it feel much less crowded than prior years
-some panels were crowded (ie crunchyroll, amv 2020 winners) it would be nice if they were in larger rooms.
-no clear place to queue for hidive panel (panel room c).
-I usually get my badge for the following room before leaving the con. It was strange not to be able to do that this year, but I’m hoping that a reminder email will go out when registration opens up

It was so good to be back after such a long break! I really appreciate all the hard work that went into planning such a large event.
Tomekon2011
I'm new!

Post by Tomekon2011 »

I absolutely loved how fast the lines went this year. It appears that security was outsourced to a third party, which really streamlined the process. However I may have a concern that the machines are used more for random screening than actually scanning for contraband. I'd like some more insight on what the security system actually does.

The dealer's room was extremely bare this year. It didn't seem like there were many independent vendors like there have been in past years. I imagine that many small vendors may have had to close up shop due to Covid, or maybe just didn't feel comfortable coming. And that's entirely understandable. As a result, the dealer's room felt like it was a very "big business" area. I'd definitely like to see some more independent vendors in future years.

Moving the Artist Alley to a bigger space was a good call. I really liked the variety of artists this year.

Lastly, there was an incident on Friday night where somebody pulled the fire alarm in the Marriott hotel. I was on the 32nd floor and had to take the stairs to the lobby, with a chronically ill person in my party. I talked to the front desk about it the next day and they confirmed that it was a group of people who were there for Anime Boston. I understand that this isn't something that you can completely control. But I'd imagine if there were enough complaints about that kind of behavior then we risk losing the convention altogether. I would maybe suggest running a PSA or something of the sort advising against this kind of behavior and highlighting the potential consequences of that behavior.
Penti
Experienced Poster

Post by Penti »

I had a fantastic time at the con this year; it felt great to be back after all this time, even with a few hiccups.

What I enjoyed:
  • The security setup. It was a breeze to go through compared to previous years, so the lines didn't get as backed up.
  • Not hosting panels on the 5th floor of the Sheraton. I remember how backed up the elevators would get over there, plus it gave a nice, chill spot to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the Hynes if needed.
  • The digital photo studio. This was my first time doing it, and the people running it were fantastic, with the whole experience being very fun; I'm excited to see how my pictures turned out.
What I didn't like:
  • Bullmoose was not present. I saw they had a spot reserved in the dealer's room, and were mentioned in the Guidebook app and such, but said booth was totally empty the entire weekend, with no explanation on what happened; a disappointment as I love browsing their goods.
What needs improvement:
  • Crowd control. During peak hours, especially on Saturday, it was nigh impossible to navigate with how crowded it got.
  • The elevators in the Sheraton. Even if there's less congestion due to few panels, I did hear at least one case of passengers on elevators not yielding to people with disabilities; leaving them stranded waiting for an elevator to be free. I don't know if anything can be done to prevent this, but I felt it was worth bringing up.
PeppermintFeather

Post by PeppermintFeather »

An immeasurable thank you to staff for being so accommodating to people with disabilities. Theresa the accessibility specialist and Elisa at registration customer service went above and beyond to make sure that I could safely navigate the convention. I have a severe invisible illness and was on the fence if I could even go to the convention in the first place, and staff was amazing at helping me with the resources I needed. Your work is so appreciated. Thank you thank you thank you!
AB 2024:
Reki Kyan, Dope Sketch version (SK8 the Infinity)
Kari (Digimon Adventure: 2020 version)
Nakajima Atsushi (Bungo Stray Dogs)
Cherry Blossom (SK8 the Infinity)

Doxie

Post by Doxie »

Been an attendant since 2007 and it’s been amazing to see all the ways AB has changed. So quick thank you to everyone’s hard work. It’s for sure seen.

1) Security was super easy this year and they were quick to flag folks that tripped the detectors. However, I did see several folks ignore the barriers separating exit/entrance and they did not appear to be staff/vendors. The new arrangement also meant we lost the additional entrance from the Sheraton. It didn’t add to the lines being worse but did physically make it much more difficult to go from one panel to the next and mobility is obviously not created equal for all.

2) dealers room was a bit of a bummer. I knew it wouldn’t be the same after Covid but the filler, non-anime, fandom related booths didn’t help the vibe. The lay out was also frustrating. Booths felt scattered and were not organized into isles. Probably because of the lack of dealers. Idk

3) I would love to see more throw-back anime viewings or related events. I feel things are geared towards what’s current, which is also great and I want that too, but one of my favorite things is discovery hidden gems or falling back in love with animes of my past. Maybe this is just an old anime fan feeling like they don’t fit in anymore but maybe that also says something 🤷🏼‍♀️

4) artist alley was AMAZING. The room was bright with lots of room. The only area that got tight was they very back row. Besides that every artist was super friendly and had so much to choose from. It’s always the area I look forward to the most and 2022 didn’t disappoint

5) also some appreciation to Erica and Nicki’s panels. So well organized and educational. I would love more panels like this with more access. (missed out on the mental health panel :( lack of seating )
Bethafoot2
I'm new!

Post by Bethafoot2 »

1. Is it possible to include the panel age ratings in the guidebook app? They were in the printed guide but not on the app which made it complicated to keep up when things changed in the schedule.

2. I don’t know if there was a logistical reason for the dealers room being moved to the 2nd floor but it made the crowds twice as difficult to navigate with the main auditorium and dealers room sharing a hallway, especially when people began lining up for activities.

3. Seeing more classic VA guests would be great.

4. In previous years there was an entrance to the Sheraton from the Hynes out of the artist alley (this year it would have been the dealers room). It appeared to be available one day and then we were told it was closed without warning the next (with a super rude guard). There wasn’t a change in appearance, the doors were still open and manned just like the previous day. Signage of the entrance being closed when it was not available to convention guests would have been helpful.

5. At closing ceremonies it was announced that registration was open for the 2023 convention and as of 10 PM 5/29/22, there is still no registration link.

This was a great con this year but fixing some or all of these issues would make it even better! Thanks.
animosc
Expert Poster

Post by animosc »

:!: I didn't know that some of the guests were offering paid autographs in addition to the free ticketed autographs that AB provides. Was this announced by AB anywhere? If not, I hope you can do so in the future.

:( One of my friends does not use a smartphone and was disappointed that AB doesn't offer a non-mobile version of the Guidebook (i.e. a web browser-based version). They do carry a laptop with them and would have liked to use it.

:D I used the wi-fi in artists alley and it was excellent. I wasn't expecting such good speeds for free wi-fi given the huge number of people. I hope AB can continue this arrangement with the Hynes in the future.

:!: The paths in the dealers room and artists alley felt wider this year. They were more comfortable to walk around. I didn't like how some people would not move off to the side to take photos.

Many thanks to AB's staff for putting on what absolutely had to be a very difficult show to organize, what with covid and all. See you next year!!
tykibutterfree

Post by tykibutterfree »

I enjoyed Artist's Alley this year, but thought dealer's room was kind of empty.

I never tried to get an autograph before, but it was really confusing. I couldn't find a schedule for when guests were signing or how much autographs would be for. I didn't want to try to get close to the tables just to see the pricing and look like I was trying to cut a line or something. I also followed what the website said and went to try to get a free autograph pass for Griffin Burns on Sunday. After waiting in line for over an hour the staff said that was an error and he didn't have free passes that day. I left and when I looked back, it seemed like half the room also left. There should have been a sign or people should have been told as they joined the line that there was a mistake on the website. I also missed the swap meet Saturday evening so I could get up early to try for an autograph pass.
pinkino
I'm new!

Post by pinkino »

Registration
On Saturday morning, I accompanied my 2 children to register and pick-up badges. They decided that morning to attend so were not pre-registered. We were behind another parent and their child. I noticed that they were having a difficult time. There was no staff to help. It seemed after much frustration, about 20 minutes, they gave up and just left. I was able to register my children easily. But I was familiar with how to register and I had pre-registered my other child and myself and we picked up our badges Friday. It would have helpful to have directions at the terminals on how to register. There was a little hiccup printing my children’s badges but I asked one of the staff and they were able to print the missing badge. Again it would have been helpful to have directions at this point.

While we were waiting to register, I realized I could register the children on my phone but my internet was having issues so I was unable to do so. Maybe if there was internet access available and signs saying people can register on their phones while waiting in line and once inside they could scan and pick-up badges that would be helpful.

I think it would also be helpful to have a pre-registered line for badge pick-up. It would help move the registration line along faster. Even on Friday when the line moved faster, I noticed many people were pre-registered and a pre-registered line were you could scan and go would of moved things along.

ASD/Neuro-diverse Room
I did see that attendees could get help with accessibility and that there was a Quiet room but I was wondering if there could be a room for ASD/Neuro-diverse attendees. My children love manga and anime and 2 are neuro-diverse (14,15). They attended Anime Boston for the first time this year. My 15 y/o was anxious to attend and brought the manga he’s created to share. Although he was not able to share the manga he was able to cosplay his original character and walk around and look at everyone cosplaying. He said he enjoyed it. He would not be able to sit through and understand panels but he would enjoy a place where he could go to draw/watch anime/discuss anime and manga with others. It would be great if Anime Boston could be inclusive of Neuro-diverse attendees.
infr0gnito
I'm new!

Post by infr0gnito »

The good:
- The access to gender neutral restrooms. It was very classy to have four of them this year, and they were easily marked and easy to find.
- The two photoshoot locations in Hall B. They were very spacious, and the concrete floor kept everyone nice and cold.
- Requiring full vaccination and masks. Absolutely wonderful way to make sure everyone stays safe.

The bad:
- The lack of water! There used to be a water cooler within sight no matter where you walked (save for near the concert and exhibition halls as to prevent traffic blockage). The only places I could find water this year were the parent’s lounge and quiet room.
- Speaking of, the quiet room was an absolute joke. It was located in the busiest hall with the most foot traffic, and the door wasn’t allowed to be shut. My partner and I are neurodivergent, and when either of us were feeling overwhelmed, we tried the quiet room. It was never monitored by staff, so people came in with their screaming children, or had full-on loud conversations in there. You NEED a staff member to sit in this room and keep the volume down.
- Changing the names of the photoshoot locations two days before the con was extremely unprofessional. I have no idea why that decision was made. I had printed little cards the location information of the photoshoots I was hosting (drawn up by me and paid for with my own money), and then all my cards were rendered useless because the location names were changed. At least if you guys gave a two week notice to changing the names, I could’ve reprinted them.
- Artist’s Alley was awful. There needs to be rules by the door that you can’t stop to take pictures in the Artist’s Alley and Dealer’s Room, and they need to be heavily enforced. There needs to be indicators are to where traffic can and cannot move, as to let everyone move around the room smoothly. There might even need to be a limit as to how many people can enter the room. I witnessed people get pushed down and trampled this year. I don’t think it should take an actual death for something to change. (Note: I say Artist’s Alley was bad because the Dealer’s Room was actually fine. It was very spacious and cold, but had so many vendors not cancel, I’m sure it would’ve been the same)
- Pre-reg. Pre-reg is always bad. I highly recommend what another user suggested in this forum: to allow people to get their badges mailed to them.
- The full name on the badges. I understand why they’re there— in case someone loses their badge and needs to pick it up in lost and found. But there has to be a better way than putting someone’s full name on display to thousands of strangers. I’ve had people track me down on Facebook. I’ve had people figure out my cell phone number and call me. I’m sure there are worse things that can happen when the wrong person gets ahold of the first and last name of a cosplayer they find really pretty. On top of this, anyone who is transgender but hasn’t had their name legally changed has to see their deadname on their badge the whole convention. If the concern is people picking up lost badges, I would suggest a barcode that when scanned pulls up their badge information, or a string of numbers/letters that is unique to each person, so as long as they have the email containing this string, they can show it to staff and get their badge back.

All in all, this convention was a huge let-down for me. I spent $100 on my badge alone for a weekend of sweltering heat with barely any access to water and a lack of accommodation for neurodiversity. I believe my money will be better well-spent at conventions that actually care about their guests. I’ve been going to Anime Boston every year since 2013, and I can safely say my experience this year has pushed me to never come back.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

The Con's Style and Handlings of important losses:

1 - Death of the Roadie - I'll say, you guys dealt with the death of Digit/Roadie very well. He was the life of the masquerade and could never be replaced, but 'Weegee' was a great and highly energetic host to replace him. I already made a thread requesting it, but I hope someone uploads the memorial video to youtube.

2 - Mascots and Videos - In previous years, there were Anime Boston music videos with the con mascots and all. I believe it started with "I'm On A Boat (without the mascots), but then we got Party Rock Anthem, Hey Delilah, and maybe another few I am forgetting, remade in an Anime Boston style. I would love to see this return next year. It provided an awesome sense of energy to me, and I am sure others. Like look at this. Tell me this wasn't a blast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggs0qoQnaIM

..... which also leads me to say, it would be cool to see more clips like there were for A-Chan and B-Kun in the past as well. There were so many skits and such with them played throughout the convention. As mascots, I would really enjoy seeing them more like in the past.

3 - The Memorial Museum - The Museum was great, and the memorial for past guests who have died brought tears to my eyes. This room was fantastic. Seeing old school memorabilia as well. Very well done.

Criticism:

4 - Video Game Room - The game room's cabinets were almost exclusively rhythm games or very very old-timey cabinets. Previous years, there was more variety. Like the table flipping game for example. Would be cool to see more modern and unique games in the future there.

5 - 2023 Preregistration and Lack of Staff Knowledge - The pre-registration for next year, while trying something new, no one on staff seemed to know this new process and for that, I spent an hour on a wild goose chase trying to find out where I could buy preregistration for next year. I was in the dealer's room (shop and raffle desks), two info desks, and two registration staffers, and not a single one knew what was happening for pre-registration, when it was usually managed in the Dealer's Room. This should have been handled better, or at least the staff should have been more informed about what was going on with it.

6 - 18+ Events and Games - Maybe it is just me, but I felt like there was nothing too great in the super late evenings going on, primarily gameshow-wise. Like, I remember we used to have Extreme Geek, there was some .... other crazy gameshow that I cannot remember the name of but it had like "ROUND 1" videos that made the panel seem spooky and loud....? I really wish I could remember what this panel/game was called ..... then the Hentai Dub Extravaganza....etc. I feel like the night is just dwindling every year.

That said, Cosplay Shenanigans is pretty much all there is left and the Alucard who hosts it is a riot. I hope he continues to bring the fun every Saturday night with this panel. His personality shines a lot.

7 - Sheraton Entrance - The entrance/exit to the Sheraton on the second floor (used to be the Artist Alley but now Dealer's Room) was a cut out for a shortcut, so I had to go through the Hynes just to get back to the Sheraton again. I used to be able to utilize this pass to get to the Sheraton events, but it killed so much time being re-directed. I would like to see this pass way open again to non-staffers.

Others:

8 - Main Entrance and Detectors - The line entry to the con, as a bag user, made me happy. The detectors + camera scans were a vast improvement over being forced a bag check. I could, for the first time in the convention, leave the con, get food, and come back without going into a line. (Except that one weird thing that happened on Saturday afternoon where there was a standstill)

9 - Hotel Blocks - Can we be given the option next year for a hotel block discount that covers staying until Monday? I was interested in getting Thursday-Monday, but Thursday-Sunday was all that was offered. Some of us like to enjoy all of the Sunday and do other things like Dinner after the con and other local things before we leave.
Last edited by Sayoria on Mon May 30, 2022 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
ashyash.xyz

Post by ashyash.xyz »

Loved Artist Alley being on the first floor, definitely was a good choice for this year.
However, I think Artist Alley struggles with this every single year. The layout. There were numerous spots where it was just packed, I'm not sure if it was just because people were stopping, or there wasn't enough space, the aisle ways not being wide enough or a combination of all. It seems to be an issue with the back end of Artist Alley where it becomes SLAMMED. I feel bad for artists who can't get people because there's just so much traffic. Toward the front, there always seems to be large gaps of spaces where no one is.
♏ ☀️♊ 🌙♌ ⬆️
✦ sʜᴇ / ʜᴇʀ ⊹ ᴅᴇsɪɢɴᴇʀ ⊹ ʟɢʙᴛǫɪᴀ+ ✦
-⊹-⊹-⊹-⊹-⊹-⊹-⊹-⊹-⊹-⊹
ᴀꜱʜʏᴀꜱʜ.xʏᴢ
.ɢɢ/ʜᴇᴅᴡɪɢsʜᴀᴠᴇɴ
.ɢɢ/ʙᴏᴏsᴛᴄᴏʀᴅ
shinyrocks
I'm new!

Post by shinyrocks »

Great con this year! My only gripe was that every time I was in the cosplay repair room (and I was there a lot :oops:) the staff was just... weirdly aggro about helping? Like, I'm decently experienced at repair and generally knew what I needed to do, but when saying things like "I just need some bobby pins" or "Do you have pipe cleaners" the staff would keep offering advice and suggestions even though I would have preferred that they answer my question and move on. In one case they kept offering suggestions that I'd already tried. I understand that for a lot of people (especially newbies) this is very helpful but as a more experienced cosplayer it was actually really annoying.

I encountered this behavior from at least three separate staffers in the room so it seems to just be how it was run this year and not down to any one particular person, but I really hope they can chill out a bit next year. The AB cosplay repair room is a great resource and so much better than what other cons offer even with this.
MandiJoan
I'm new!

Post by MandiJoan »

And that's a wrap for 2022. Personal feedback.

Was disappointed in the lack of food-themed anything in the vendor and artist alley considering the theme. I saw 2 artists with Food Wars stuff . I love genshin but saturation of merch was a lot.

For the vendor room, what happened to variety. I remember my first few ABs '09 and '11 there were shirts and kingdom hearts cloaks and jammies, with the shirts not costing $40 Where was the perfume artist with "ocarina of lime"?

I know fads of product come on and out but One Piece hitting 20 years and 1k eps, there was minimal. Pokemon celebrating 25 years.

There felt like a void of late night panels. I am chalking that up to staffing and just covid "shockwaves"

I loved the new scanners. Not having to stop to open my mini back pack that has my wallet, a water bottle, uterus products, and some business cards from the day before even though I came through 30 min ago but had yo go get coffee.

Unsure on feelings about 2023 theme. Not sure if they're going for music or straight idols. I need an outfit with sneakers, my feet are so not happy but I can't wait to do it again next april!!!

Update from original post on ABSocial FB.
I understand supply chain issues and the multiple cons this weekend. But why bother having a theme to the con if there isn't some obligation to meet it. Genshin has a literal chef character and art for them was few and far between. My fiancee and I are foodies and were so excited to find food wars things. AA had 2 vendors with a total of 1 print and 10 keychains (they were amazing keychains so thank you to them for the deal on all 10 <3) and vendor room I was 1 stand with some poorly sublimated (the rough, ends up cracked and crunchy kind) food wars shirts.
SirSwagGeeMcBallerOfYoloton

Post by SirSwagGeeMcBallerOfYoloton »

• Game room. Super disappointed there were no racing/driving games like Initial D.
  • Panels. This is a big one but the "speed friending" panels (even though there were two sessions, Friday and Saturday) needs to be a lot bigger. There is a MASSIVE demand and I heard from a lot of people being disappointed they didn't get in. People really wanna make friends, lol.
But about the speed friending panel. It was likely the first time you were doing it so I immediately noticed some logistic/organization issues. For example, they didn't account for some people mistakenly sitting with their friends because the session seemed to assume you'll only talk to the people at your table. It wasn't until the 2nd or 3rd round they said to get up and move around.
Pick33
I'm new!

Post by Pick33 »

Now that I’ve had a little sleep after driving home yesterday I can share my thoughts and the feedback from the 19 others that went with us.

Positives:

- New Security system was great only had to use the outside entrance on purpose once after the system went down on Saturday.
- wide alleys in artist ( crowding was less of an issue
- enforcement of mask policy (saw plenty of AB staffers yelling at people to wear masks properly on Friday)
- great weekend to host ( Memorial Day weekend gives me a day to rest)
- No panels on the 5th of Sheraton, No more death by Chlorine.
- too many panels at the same time I want to attend, not enough clones of me.

Negatives
- Not having the shortcut between dealers room and the Sheraton open to all. When it was proposed that dealers was moving to the old artist and short cut hours were being shortened, I thought that’s fine as long as it’s available to all. There are 2 sets of doors, there could be 2 lines, one Staff/Dealers and the other could be for attendees. Too many times my gang had to run from Hynes 310/311 to 3rd floor Sheraton to hope we made it on time.

- sparsity of the dealers room. I’m sure most was due to having 10+ cons going on around the country this weekend, there may have been only 3-4 booth selling Anime. I felt really bad for the T-Mobile guys, I never say anyone interact with them. The booth selling heating pads and stuff seemed totally out of place.

- lack of food variety in the con, granted the food options outside the con were plentiful.

- artist alley was spare - the wide alleys may have given the illusion of lots of tabled but the alley was a lot smaller then in previous years, I personally didn’t think the quality was that great but members in my group didn’t think so. I also attribute to 10+ cons going on this weekend.

- lack of enforcement of the COVID policy, when picking up my badge staffers didn’t even verify my vaccine paperwork, they just stamped me. At Katsucon this year I was grilled cuz the edges were crumbling. On Saturday and Sunday i watched people sitting in the larger rooms without a face mask and no staff said anything.

- panel from Mitch Stern were pretty bad. I attended 2 of his panels Friday, 1 Saturday and left early from 2 and eventually we blacklisted him any of the rest of the panels for the weekend. They all turned into her is my favorite 00’s anime and my one trip to Japan years ago.

- video game room was boring and small. I mostly attribute to the 10+ other cons going on this weekend and the closing of Tokyo Attack.
Last edited by Pick33 on Mon May 30, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenoglossy
Expert Poster

Post by xenoglossy »

I think the mask mandate was reasonable and I understand it's easier to have one universal rule than a conditional rule that people might be confused by when it does and doesn't apply, but I think it would be nice if panelists were allowed to take their masks off as long as it's possible to maintain a six-foot distance from the audience at all times - so maybe not in the tiny Sheraton rooms, but in the Constitution ballrooms and the Hynes rooms, at least. Maybe it's just my auditory processing issues, but I had a lot of trouble understanding what people were saying, especially when seated towards the back in the larger panel rooms.

I also understand that technical difficulties happen and that it may not be possible to swap out elements of a room's AV setup or implement any kind of permanent fix once the con has started, but it would be nice if known issues with a specific panel room were clearly communicated to any staffer handling AV for that room. Fairfax had consistent technical issues throughout at least Friday and Saturday, but when setting up for the first of my two panels in there, the staff member was insistent that the problem was with my computer and spent the half hour before the panel troubleshooting the wrong thing. Eventually another staff member who I think was familiar with the previous issues came to help out and the problem was resolved within minutes.

Personally I thought the variety in the dealers' room was great this year. I remember in 2019 it was just a bunch of identical booths selling the same merch for the same five popular series as far as the eye could see, and whatever you guys did this year, it was a huge improvement.
MadaZer0

Post by MadaZer0 »

Doxie wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:52 pm
3) I would love to see more throw-back anime viewings or related events. I feel things are geared towards what’s current, which is also great and I want that too, but one of my favorite things is discovery hidden gems or falling back in love with animes of my past. Maybe this is just an old anime fan feeling like they don’t fit in anymore but maybe that also says something 🤷🏼‍♀️

I actually 110% disagree with you. I too have been not only around since 2008 but to various other cons around the states. AB is a convention that is constantly stuck in Nostalgia mode. The cosplays, artist alley, and even panels and events are things that are constantly the same every year involving old anime or SUPER mainstream anime. Its the only convention where ill see the same early 90s or 00s anime characters still being cosplayed or called back (FMA Nina Dog Chimera got as old as Marco Polo). Hell, look at the video game room as of late, Retro Retro Retro. And that's fine, I once attributed AB to that of a beginner town in an RPG. That's the type of con it is. Thats why I come to it. I doubt ill ever see any Monogatari events, or 86 cosplays. Heck I'm surprised there were some Spy x Family cosplayers around.
MadaZer0

Post by MadaZer0 »

Before I start id like to say that I am completely understanding in that were in a post-covid world and I will give props for doing the best yall could with those constraints (Small dealers, lack of nightlife, etc).

The Bad

Nightlife was understandably pretty dead this year, then again AB has struggled with this even before covid was a thing ever since the cancellation of the dance and hentai showings were taken away. After reading this thread I'm glad I'm not alone in this. Even if Covid wasn't a thing, Night events would still be at their weakest. It'd be nice to have more 18/21+ events aside from the ecchi and hentai panels which are pretty popular to begin with. Or at least have night events that bring people together (Speed friending was an excellent tool for this but even that needs some work). As much as it sucks, I think its a good thing to struggle what to pick when 2 or 3 events are on at the same time. This year was what the Hentai AMVs and even then I didn't go cuz too many people.

Video game room and this retro crazyness needs to be toned down a bit and more game variety needs to be reintroduced. Yall took away the FPS tournaments and kept the Fighting tourneys up (tekken and smash). Dont touch DDR though.

The Good

I think the Game Show category has honestly only gotten better over the years and was my favorite activity to do. Sundays Anime Greed hosted by AB itself was really well done (Although I feel like the background music was a bit too loud making it hard to hear the host). Anime Greed was able to have many contestants on it (counting around 20-25 for the hour that I was there) which is really great obviously because it gives a LOT of people the chance to play unlike other gameshows at AB. Although I never got to play and ended up leaving when the final group was picked. I think the guy picking the contestants was a little bias considering of the 20 I saw go up only 2 or 3 were males. A little more diversity would be nice since I did see a good amount of guys trying to go up, me included.
Although i might be a bit petty here considering I never got picked to go up (Even newer people that came into the room 40 minutes in were being picked). At least Name that Anime Tune (which weirdly was a panel and not a gameshow) had the EXCELLENT idea to test any and everybody in the room before the main event, and the people with the highest scores got to play. Maybe something like that can be incorporated in future games
Other than that, Id be nice to have a bit more game shows (Hopefully favoring anime trivia).

Speed friending is again, an excellent addition to the con and was a massive hit. I know this because every time I tried to go in, it was full. I know a LOT of people that were loners just trying to meet new people to hang out. From what I heard of my friends that were at it, I was told it was a bit lackluster. Its its first year at the con so I know it can evolve into a top tier panel. Maybe Have some variations aside from questions. Maybe have tables with categories on them, games even. This is something that should be explored further.

Even having a Discord would help get people to meet since I noticed the AB Facebook groups were pretty active.
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Disclaimer for Staff: After getting my badge on Thursday night, did not attend till Sunday morning, so my comments are based on scant observation. Decided to minimize my exposure after one family member after another tested positive in April and May. I'll be candid--the only reason I stepped in the door this year was the vax/mask mandate. (Hate to admit it, but I'm at an age where I'm forced to take Covid seriously.)

Registration: the Thursday night pre-reg line was smoothly handled. There were more than enough staff to check vax cards as we gathered.

Dealer's Room: as others have said, the dealer's room seemed thin this year. But it makes me wonder whether it was simple inflation that kept more distant vendors away, fearful of not being able to recoup their transportation costs. To Staff!--if there is any truth to this theory, a brief statement to the effect would be most appreciated. :)

Artist's Alley: see above.

Autographs: having all the autographs in a dedicated space was a neat idea.

2023 Pre-reg: after searching in vain for the booth in the dealers room, I went to Information. The nice lady at the desk explained the cause as short-staffing. Nice to have a reasonable, clear-cut answer.

2020 con merch: loved being able to buy the 2020 pin and patch!

Museum: this year's exhibits were great, especially the 2003 memorabilia. As someone wearing a 2003 lanyard, it brought up a lot of memories.

Security: not having to have my bag searched every time I came in and out was a welcome surprise.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
MistyKristiCosplay

Post by MistyKristiCosplay »

It was so nice to be back at Anime Boston this year, that being said I do want to give some feedback.

The Good:

-

Lines flowed very smoothly this year with the walk-through security system, It was a constant moving line so it never took more than two minutes for me to try to go from the prudential through the main entrance so it was easy to move back and forth between the con-center, I can’t attest to how lines were for the Boylston street entrance as I had never gone in through that entrance for this con for this past year specifically. 

-Artists Alley given a bigger room on the first floor this year was lovely to see, as someone who personally tends to buy more from the artist’s alley rather than the dealer’s room, I enjoyed the expansive space being given to the artists than in prior years.

-
Not really anything that relates to particular for AB, but the atmosphere of the prudential- I did see a lot of non-convention attendees stop me and compliment me on my cosplay, certain people weren’t aware there was actually a convention going on so I did fill in some people on as to what was going on - almost like an informal information booth. I did have one attendee walk up to me and said how happy they were to see everyone back and how she hoped me and my friends had a good rest of our weekend. Small interactions like these were very positive.

-In regards to masking and vaccinations, while lines for pre-reg (Thursday night for my friend and I) were understandably a bit slower this year due to having staff checking for confirmation of vaccination status, I think AB did a really good job of checking. As for masking policies, I did see quite a few staff members enforcing the mask policy in the convention halls reminding attendees that they have to be masked when not drinking water/eating.

-

I don’t particularly consider myself a panel attendee, but the panels I attended (namely the Fashion Crimes: Anime Edition, The 5-Star Genshin Impact panel, and the Beginner's Guide to Idol Dance panel) were all really well-done. 

Neutral:

-People had already mentioned Dealer’s room felt sparse this year, especially more so than in the past, I consider this to be neutral from my point of view because consideration has to be taken into account that many vendors had supply issues, which is understandable considering the current pandemic climate, I’m sure the vendors will improve in years to come as things get better. I can’t fault Anime Boston since vendors canceling and vendors having supply issues is an issue out of AB’s control. 

The Not-so-Good:

-While I mentioned in the good category that the Artist’s Alley being given a larger space was great, I feel the congestion within AA was a considerable issue, even more so than in past years. There were particular points when I and my friend had to give up on trying to see certain booths because the congestion was awful and we didn’t want to risk damaging our cosplay by the crowds and the congestion. I found that going later in the nighttime on Friday/Saturday (8:00 PM to 10:00 pm) was really the only time I could walk safely and shop without physically bumping into someone.

-The changing of photoshoot locations’ names was a bit inconvenient especially as this had occurred only a few days before the con and I had missed out on a photoshoot due to this.

- The schedule changes occurred very last minute or even after an event was supposed to start. Even though AB mentioned last-minute changes to the schedule are liable to happen- even when checking the guidebook app, I had no idea that a particular panel had changed times until a half-hour after it was supposed to start at its original time.

- There was a situation my friend and I witnessed Friday morning in the South Garden of the Prudential center where a Prudential security officer had walked up to a couple taking photos and asked them (quite rudely) to leave. This left a poor taste in my mouth as the couple that was next to us were quietly taking photos with a photographer, the couple in question were not being disruptive in any way and were not in the way of anyone else- I did see the aforementioned couple move to the fountain area of the south garden without further incident. I have to wonder, was the entire south garden in the prudential center open to cosplayers or just the immediate area around the fountains for photos because as far as I knew, the whole garden was open for attendees to sit, meet up, and take photos. I know Anime Boston doesn’t necessarily have control over what prudential security does but I still think maybe having an Anime Boston staff member in the south gardens could’ve provided some benefit.

Overall, despite the critiques I had, I had a really good time and this was one of my best years yet. I will be happily attending next year!
Con-Goer since Anime Boston 2013

AB 2024:
???
Luka Megurine (Vocaloid)
Columbina (Genshin Impact)
Serena (Animal Crossing)
Ganyu (Genshin Impact)

IG: @MistyKristiCosplay
Ariandante
Experienced Poster

Post by Ariandante »

Even though I only ended up being able to make it one out of the three days this year and my cosplay fell through (the convention was smack in the middle of a mercury retrograde... go figure) I was so happy to be able to be at something in person again and overall I enjoyed tremendously!

The good:
-Gender-neutral restrooms. As a trans woman who is eight years into my transition, even if I'm personally comfortable using a "traditional" facility - for a long time I wasn't and seeing multiple facilities designated as gender-neutral was incredibly reassuring that all of our trans, non-binary, and GNC siblings at AB are being accommodated and supported regardless of where they are in their transition journey.

-Security checks seemed much more streamlined this year.

-Artists Alley

The not so good:
-Badge pickup. I know part of it is checking COVID-19 vax cards, but some folxs have mentioned having a mailing option like what some conventions do. Maybe next year, your first time entering security could check your CDC white card or app QR code and give you a wristband or something of that nature. If not, I'll definitely be going Thursday evening to pick up my badge next time.

Suggestions:
-Is there any way we could have the option of having preferred pronouns on badges?
ah-reh-en-DAHN-tay...
or Kristen... (she/her/hers)
------
AB 2024 Tentative...
Yukako Yamagishi (JJBA DiU), Kagome (Inuyasha), Bunnygirl Haruhi (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)

2022 - Yor Forger (Spy x Family)
2023 - Ameri Azazel (Marimashita Iruma-kun!), Lady Rengoku (Kimetsu no Yaiba)

------
As radiant dawn vanquishes morning dew,
I shall transcend once more as I arise, and begin anew.
-Mirai Chiara
BreadCosplay
Expert Poster

Post by BreadCosplay »

Awesome convention this year, taken the circumstances! I want to take a moment in this thread to thank the amazing cosplay staff, especially those working and organizing cosplay repair! I had an unfortunate messy accident on the bus ride over to the con on Friday, and the fellas at cosplay repair were SO SO helpful and nice. Whoever supplied the Oxyclean there, I owe you a life debt. I was able to style a whole wig on Saturday there with the materials they provided and I'm pretty sure I ran in for hot glue and tape at least 5 times throughout the con weekend.

My only personal gripe with the convention this year was that security wasn't really informed during events of who was allowed inside before the events began. I was in a couple cosplay games and I remember running into issues with security not letting participants in to get settled despite us having our badges with our events on them.
>>>our carrd/socials<<<

MAJIMA'S AB 2024 LINEUP
Goro Majima (Yakuza Kiwami)
BREAD'S AB 2024 LINEUP
Sakura Minamoto (Zombieland SAGA)
goodluckmode
I'm new!

Post by goodluckmode »

It was very hot in some places. I wish anime bingo had more room so more people could have participated. Make it more clear that there are two separate lines for the masquerade depending on what ticket you got - floor or balcony (maybe tell people as soon as they pick up the qeueued event ticket or have the staff patrolling the lines announce it every few minutes).

I liked the new layout/locations of the artist alley and dealers room!
Beebo

Post by Beebo »

I’ve gone to anime Boston for years, have never had any issues before. This year was the first time I have ever attempted to get autographs, and I have to say, it was a very annoying process.

To start, there needs to be a better process for the free autograph pass pickups. What is the point of having the timing open for 8am-10am but then allowing people to line up at 6am? Having a time range that would give the impression that if you arrive between 8am and 10am you will have a chance to be in line for passes. I arrived at 8:20am and when I asked staff to help me find the room, I was told that we had very likely already missed out, because lining up started at 6am and there was a large line by the time the room opened at 8am. If you’re going to let people line up early, you need to make this clear, and perhaps set a time for the earliest you can line up.

The actual autograph room was also a pain. This was my first time getting autographs, so I’m not sure how it was in the past, but this new process was annoying. To begin, it was kinda difficult to see which line belonged to who. All the signs were past the curtain. My friends and I stood in the wrong line for a bit because it was so hard to tell. It would be really helpful to place signs before the curtain too. Also, more tape and signage would be good to separate the free passes and the paid lines. Because that was very difficult and extremely unclear. It would also be helpful if you could put price signs before the curtain too, because it would be really disappointing for someone to get up to the table and not be able to afford a print because pricing is so unclear.

Besides that I had a great time! This was one of the best ABs I’ve been to and while I had autograph trouble, I got to meet 2 great voice actors and I’m so glad they were invited to anime Boston. Cant wait for next year!
Maix
AB Staff

Post by Maix »

Thank you Anime Boston staff for all your hard work this year! This was my first time returning to AB after 7 years, and it was so good to be back. I thought it was a great show, and had a lot of fun! I was especially happy with how easy getting in and out of the Hynes was this year. Just a few things I thought could have been better:

1. Security: while a lot of security at AB were very helpful, some of them were really rude and unpleasant, and some seemed like they didn’t know what they were doing. An example: I was in line for closing ceremonies, and apparently whoever was overseeing our part of the line told us to go too early, when people in the dealers room were actually supposed to be allowed out. Suddenly a member of security threw herself in front of me, waving her arms and screaming at me to stop. Having someone in a position of relative authority do something like this was scary, and really inappropriate. I know it was mentioned in the feedback panel that training will be better for next year, so I’m hoping this won’t be an issue for the next con.

2. I know this is something AB can’t entirely control, but the con is getting way too big for people to be stopping for cosplay photos in the dealers room, artist alley, and in front of entrances. In Japan a lot of anime events will have dedicated “cosplay zones”, where people who want to be photographed can go and people can photograph them. Even though I imagine it might initially be unpopular amongst guests, as the con gets bigger and bigger, this may be something AB could consider to prevent traffic issues.

3. I loved speed friending! Such a great event. It was a little disorganized, but no more so than any involved event of that size being put on for the first time would be. It might be helpful to assign people to tables upon entering, and then use either colors or numbers to determine partner/table change order, to cut down on time spent trying to figure out who is talking to who and sitting where.

4. I’m really sorry to say this, but theming was not great this year. Even though it’s been a while since I’ve been to AB, I distinctly remember the theming being very strong in the past. Hope this will be better next year.

5. Quiet room location was not ideal. I stepped in to rehydrate and decompress for a while, but since it was located in such a busy area, the sound from the halls was still quite loud inside. One of the third floor rooms in the Sheraton might be a good alternative location for this, since that area is relatively untraveled except for panels.

Aside from those things, I really had an amazing time! Thanks for all your hard work, and looking forward to next year!
midnightsiren182
AB Staff

Post by midnightsiren182 »

For the questions about how the new metal detectors/scanners work, they’re very similar to the airport ones where you raise your arms over your head and that’s made it easier to scan, check for safety, and get through quicker.

So less of everything pinging them off, but still quite secure.
Lauren Gallo
Programming Ops Staff 2024
typicalfatgamer
I'm new!

Post by typicalfatgamer »

This was my first time attending the con and it was truly the best and I'm definitely gonna be returning consistently! It was amazing. I'd like to leave my feedback with the pros and cons of how the experience was!

Pros:

- there was always something new to do. So many events and places
- the cosplayers were INCREDIBLE
- the location was an amazing spot as it was in the heart of Boston, even after the con I still was able to go do enjoyable things without having to take a train everywhere
- I gotta say, the line to get your badge was incredibly long at noon on Saturday, but I was genuinely amazed by how quickly it moved. I've never seen such an efficient line. The staff did a great job keeping the line moving quickly.
- the panels were fantastic!

Cons:

- my biggest issue was probably this. End of may was definitely a rough choice as it was incredibly hot out. It was so hot that it felt like the AC or central air within the convention didn't even touch the heat. I couldn't continue with my cosplay for the weekend because on Friday I ended up becoming a sweaty mess, just absolutely drenched in sweat just from standing there due to the heat and lack of cool air. So I'm glad to see next year it'll be early April! It was just super hot even in a t-shirt and shorts.

- I wish there was more out of the dealers room. I feel like the T Mobile booth took up a ton of space that could've totally been used for something else. Obviously with covid, I didn't expect the con to be at full capacity with dealers and such.

- there was no masks available. On Friday when we came in, we didn't have any masks which obviously was our fault. But none of the staff had any masks to provide. I just feel like if you're going to require it, you should be stacked to the max with it.

- I feel like the mapping of the con on the AB page was very confusing, at least for a first timer like myself. I would frequently find myself reading the schedule for certain panels or meets and get lost trying to figure out how to get there. So I basically just ended up walking around and what I found was what I found, and it was still cool! But if I knew how to read the map and such, it definitely would've been way cooler. (As a tip if it's possible: I think it'd be cool if there were announcements or something that way people who are lost or confused with the schedule and website can know what's going on and where to go)

- the congestion of artists ally was absolutely insane. There were moments where I literally just stood there because the sheer amount of people was just too much and couldn't move.

Over all, it was an amazing experience and got to meet many amazingly talented people who were passionate about anime. I loved every moment of it and I'm already planning for next year! I can't wait :)
animosc
Expert Poster

Post by animosc »

Beebo wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:57 pm This was my first time getting autographs, so I’m not sure how it was in the past, but this new process was annoying. To begin, it was kinda difficult to see which line belonged to who. All the signs were past the curtain. My friends and I stood in the wrong line for a bit because it was so hard to tell. It would be really helpful to place signs before the curtain too. Also, more tape and signage would be good to separate the free passes and the paid lines. Because that was very difficult and extremely unclear. It would also be helpful if you could put price signs before the curtain too, because it would be really disappointing for someone to get up to the table and not be able to afford a print because pricing is so unclear.
Thank you for mentioning the location of the signs in the autograph lines. I meant to bring this up too but I forgot. The signs should be placed in a location so that they are the first thing we see before we enter the line. All the autograph info for the guest (date & time, name, free/paid, prices) should be on that sign.
RayneDeanZ
Expert Poster

Post by RayneDeanZ »

It was a great year overall, people have pretty much said anything positive I’d say, but no one has mentioned a very specific incident, and it may be a matter of it not being overtly visible: The Egg Fans up front, just off stage right at Lip Sync Battle

Now, I’ve been going for years and there’s always going to be people rabid about certain cosplayers/memes, and while it can sometimes skew events like Death Match and LSB, I’ve come to accept. But this group, who were acknowledged a couple of times by the hosts, were beyond the norm. They were leaping up, throwing themselves on the ground, but the real major issue was they pulled their masks down every time and most of the time didn’t put them back up. It was so bad that me and my friend during the last vote mimicked their obnoxious energy just ti counter theirs.

I know they can’t be everywhere at once, but this group was so far from subtle and yet nothing happened to them besides being encouraged by the mention from the hosts (not their fault, they were amazing and hilarious) and while the mask part is probably only an issue for this year, the rest of their behavior would have been horrible any year.
Been coming since 2011

Anime Boston 2017:
Mastermind!Chihiro Fujisaki (Dangan Ronpa)
Makoto Naegi (Dangan Ronpa)

Anime Boston 2018:
Shintaro Kisaragi (Kagerou Project)
Yasuke Matsuda (Dangan Ronpa)
Kiki (Kiki’s Delivery Service)

AB 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts)

AB 2022:
Kazuichi Souda (Danganronpa)

AB 2023:
Kazuichi Souda (Danganronpa)
RoaringJade
I'm new!

Post by RoaringJade »

Suggestions:
:!: Please post signage at designated areas for nursing/pumping mothers.

:!: Please move the Quiet Room to a quiet part of the Hynes, not in a main 1st floor hall.

I reached out to the staff about nursing/pumping accommodations. I was told the Quiet Room had a curtained-off area and the Parent's Lounge had an adjacent room available, though neither was labeled and I had issues with each.

Quiet Room: The curtained off area was not labeled for nursing/pumping use. The one time my husband couldn't join me to be on watch, I was using it and had people about to walk in until they realized what I was doing. I once entered to pump and found people napping on the floor (I could not tell if the woman had an infant or not) another time it was occupied but I didn't check if by a mother or not because even if I could enter, the Quiet Room was not quiet. It was packed with people talking and you could hear the bustle outside the hallway. For those who are unaware, privacy and quiet is needed to pump and nurse properly.

Parents' Lounge: The times the Quiet Room was unavailable I went here. The map said the room adjacent was for nursing/pumping, however this was locked and a Staff member said "I don't know anything about it but its locked so..." So I used the Parents' Lounge which did not have a curtained-off area. I made-do in a corner with my husband on watch, however there were people in the room. Thankfully it was a mother and her child and older women, if it wasn't I would have been even more uncomfortable.

With the convention going on nearly 20 years many of us who came as teens when it began are now adults with children. Accommodations for parents of young children should be taken into consideration with designated rooms for nursing/pumping, rooms for kids to decompress/nap, strollers available, etc.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

RayneDeanZ wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:49 am It was a great year overall, people have pretty much said anything positive I’d say, but no one has mentioned a very specific incident, and it may be a matter of it not being overtly visible: The Egg Fans up front, just off stage right at Lip Sync Battle

Now, I’ve been going for years and there’s always going to be people rabid about certain cosplayers/memes, and while it can sometimes skew events like Death Match and LSB, I’ve come to accept. But this group, who were acknowledged a couple of times by the hosts, were beyond the norm. They were leaping up, throwing themselves on the ground, but the real major issue was they pulled their masks down every time and most of the time didn’t put them back up. It was so bad that me and my friend during the last vote mimicked their obnoxious energy just ti counter theirs.

I know they can’t be everywhere at once, but this group was so far from subtle and yet nothing happened to them besides being encouraged by the mention from the hosts (not their fault, they were amazing and hilarious) and while the mask part is probably only an issue for this year, the rest of their behavior would have been horrible any year.
I actually was right up front near right-side stage and got this on video. I was more amused by what was going on (Because hey, the audience was told to be loud to vote for their faves and while they were super loud, it's what was encouraged) but when you bring up the mask thing, that didn't even dawn on me.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
T-Money
AB Staff

Post by T-Money »

PeppermintFeather wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:35 pm An immeasurable thank you to staff for being so accommodating to people with disabilities. Theresa the accessibility specialist and Elisa at registration customer service went above and beyond to make sure that I could safely navigate the convention. I have a severe invisible illness and was on the fence if I could even go to the convention in the first place, and staff was amazing at helping me with the resources I needed. Your work is so appreciated. Thank you thank you thank you!
I'm so glad I was able to lend a helping hand and that you had a great time at AB!
Theresa Hofacre
Member Relations Manager
Anime Boston 2024