standing in pre-reg line? husband had problems standing.

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

standing in pre-reg line? husband had problems standing.

Post by dstnyskr »

Hello AB members!

I was curious, I'm trying to make this years process of getting me and my husbands pre-registered badges as quickly and easily as possible.

He has a lot of medical issues that really hinder him from standing for long periods of time.

In doing so I was going to attempt getting me and my husbands badges on thursday.

Does he have to be present to get his badge? or can I claim it for him? if yes, bring his ID?
OR
could he sit in a chair, at the front of the line, till I make it to the front waiting in line?

How does one get a disability badge/sticker? and can it be obtained on thursday?

I'm just trying to make this process as easy as possible for him as his health has declined.
Sorry for all the questions

Thank you

-destiny
Let destiny decide.
~AB veteran 2006-2017(missed '15)~
Staren
Veteran Poster

Re: standing in pre-reg line? husband had problems standing.

Post by Staren »

I'm not staff, so this is purely from the experience of a long time attendee.

The line is usually crazy when reg opens at 4pm on Thursday. However, that first rush moves through pretty quick. Wait a couple of hours. Go do something else. If you wait until 6pm - 6:30pm it should be pretty quiet and move pretty quickly. There usually isn't a line at that point. You might be waiting for 3 or 4 people ahead of you.

The accessibility sticker isn't hard. There will be a booth for it in Registration. If you don't see it right away, just ask the staff that helps you with your badge. They'll be able to point it out to you.
AB attendee every year since 2010.
Vu
AB Staff

Post by Vu »

dstnyskr wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:40 pmDoes he have to be present to get his badge? or can I claim it for him?
He will need to pick up his own badge with his ID.
dstnyskr wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:40 pmcould he sit in a chair, at the front of the line, till I make it to the front waiting in line?
In previous years, some attendees could sit off to the side and wait until their party reached the front of the line. You’ll want to check with the Staff managing the lines if this is something possible to be done. If not, there are plenty of seats in the Sheraton lobby and you could text him to come up when you’re getting close to the front of the line.
dstnyskr wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:40 pmHow does one get a disability badge/sticker? and can it be obtained on thursday?
This can be obtained from our Customer Service booth, also located in Registration. They can help you with that.
Vu Tran
North American Guest Liaison
Anime Boston 2022

Viva la manatee!

"Gonna have to go find my eyeballs, I rolled them too hard"
- Rebecca Lee, 2019
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

Vu wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:14 pm
dstnyskr wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:40 pmcould he sit in a chair, at the front of the line, till I make it to the front waiting in line?
In previous years, some attendees could sit off to the side and wait until their party reached the front of the line. You’ll want to check with the Staff managing the lines if this is something possible to be done. If not, there are plenty of seats in the Sheraton lobby and you could text him to come up when you’re getting close to the front of the line.
Would you have any recommendations of anyone, in particular, who I could confirm disability seating at the side of the line with? for Thursday's pre-reg line.

I know AB has, in recent years, gotten better with individuals with disabilities.

This will help use on deciding whether or not to adjust to a different mobility tool for my husband.

My only concern with him sitting in the Sheraton lobby and texting him to the front of the line is, then being accused as 'line cutters' not only by people in line but AB staff and/or volunteers (which I fear, might lead to repercussions).

I would like to avoid any confusion. My experience in the past with AB staff and volunteers seems to be a lack of communication and execution with the lines at this particular convention, sadly.

thank you
Let destiny decide.
Vu
AB Staff

Post by Vu »

dstnyskr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:06 pmWould you have any recommendations of anyone, in particular, who I could confirm disability seating at the side of the line with? for Thursday's pre-reg line.
There isn’t anyone in particular, just ask any Staffer who is managing the lines in the room.
dstnyskr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:06 pmMy only concern with him sitting in the Sheraton lobby and texting him to the front of the line is, then being accused as 'line cutters' not only by people in line but AB staff and/or volunteers (which I fear, might lead to repercussions).
I understand your concern. He could respond with “I’m in line with someone”, if asked, and that should clear any misconception, since you’re already in line.
Vu Tran
North American Guest Liaison
Anime Boston 2022

Viva la manatee!

"Gonna have to go find my eyeballs, I rolled them too hard"
- Rebecca Lee, 2019
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

Also something to note. there is generally a Security supervisor (wearing a RED staff shirt) managing this line in particular, If you have any concerns or problems, do not hesitate to find that person and they will do their best to make things right (and ensure that those who are doing something not right are corrected).

We have been making considerable progress in addressing accessibility needs in the past couple of years, we can do better, but it takes time to find what works best for not only our attendees but also what meets our needs as an event.

If you have concerns or problems, do not hesitate to come to conops and talk to the team there. Our goal is to make a safe, friendly environment for all fans to come, and it is difficult to repair something if we do not know it is a problem.
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
Chrom
AB Staff

Post by Chrom »

In general, if you tell a staffer that an individual has accessibility needs, and that they can not wait in line, we will have things in place for that. I believe registration is actually open earlier this year than in prior years, as well, so please keep an eye on the times we open Thursday as we draw closer to the convention.

If you have your express pass, this cuts the time in line, and someone will assist with the accessibility sticker at the accessibility help desk.

[If you lost your QR code for express pass printing, reach out to regcs@animeboston.com and let us know what names you need the confirmation resent for]
Alcor Converse
Assistant Director of Registration AB 2020, 2021
Registration Customer Service Manager AB 2019
Customer Service Assistant Manager AB 2018
Registration Staff AB 2017

☆☆☆
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

Thank you to all that replied!

I added Thursday check-in for our hotel room to alleviate commuting issues that we would have had to deal with thursday and friday, especially now with the new autograph policy.

Now that the hotel has made it easier, my husband might be able to make it through the line. I will keep an eye out for the AB staff 'Red shirts".

Thank you!

Destiny
Let destiny decide.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

I don't know what your schedule will be but if you go to Pre-Registration from 5PM onward, the line's prettymuch gone. I typically wait until that point to get my badge myself since I'm not big on standing in long lines myself.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^