Autograph Experience

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Bae-san
Getting the hang of this...

Autograph Experience

Post by Bae-san »

Hi, I'll be attending the con for the first time this year and I was wondering...

In your personal experience when getting autographs from guests, are they seriously picky about only signing officially produced works? Like if I brought a small poster that I drew myself how likely would it be that they would sign it?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, like I said I'm quite new to this, this is my first large scale con.
AB17 | Radical Edward-Cowboy Bebop, L-Death Note, Karasuno High Volleyball Club Non-regular-Haikyu!!
AB18 | Levi Ackerman-Attack on Titan, Villetta Nu-Code Geass*, Radical Edward-Cowboy Bebop
LadyLark
AB Alumni

Re: Autograph Experience

Post by LadyLark »

Hi! I appreciate you asking ahead of time.

The answer is it depends on the guests. Most guests do not like to sign non-official items although some will sign fanart that you drew, it isn't standard across the board.

All guests will sign Anime Boston program books, which we will have on hand if needed. It's also a really good rule of thumb not to ask guests to sign things they didn't work on.
Rea Konecki
Industry and Guest Coordinator
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

I've seen guests sign DVDs and video games they're credited to, instantly turning them into collector's items =O

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is a limit to how many items per guest that can be signed, yes? Can't remember if it was 2 or 3. Mostly asking because I wanted Johnny Bosch Young to sign 2 of 4 things I have he's credited to (physical video games and anime). Willing to cut it down to two though.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

maximum of 1 item
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

Nemra wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:18 pm maximum of 1 item
doesn't it depend on the guest?
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

nope.
4. In order to allow as many attendees as possible the opportunity to get an autograph, attendees will be limited to one item per session.
http://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/conv ... #autograph
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Nemra wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:19 pm nope.
4. In order to allow as many attendees as possible the opportunity to get an autograph, attendees will be limited to one item per session.
oh i don't know greg did that for me with out question two years ago when you had the new rules up, I was prepared to leave and he just signed it... it wasn't for me so i wouldn't have even bothered....
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Bae-san
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Bae-san »

LadyLark wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:21 pm Hi! I appreciate you asking ahead of time.

The answer is it depends on the guests. Most guests do not like to sign non-official items although some will sign fanart that you drew, it isn't standard across the board.

All guests will sign Anime Boston program books, which we will have on hand if needed. It's also a really good rule of thumb not to ask guests to sign things they didn't work on.
I see...hm. Thanks, I think I'll carry one of each (fanart and official merch) to have at least one thing that can definitely be signed. Has that happened though, like, why would you ask someone to sign something that has nothing to do with them lol..?
Aurabolt wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:27 pm I've seen guests sign DVDs and video games they're credited to, instantly turning them into collector's items =O

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is a limit to how many items per guest that can be signed, yes? Can't remember if it was 2 or 3. Mostly asking because I wanted Johnny Bosch Young to sign 2 of 4 things I have he's credited to (physical video games and anime). Willing to cut it down to two though.
Hmmm, I didn't think of a DVD or anything, I'll definitely bring one now
AB17 | Radical Edward-Cowboy Bebop, L-Death Note, Karasuno High Volleyball Club Non-regular-Haikyu!!
AB18 | Levi Ackerman-Attack on Titan, Villetta Nu-Code Geass*, Radical Edward-Cowboy Bebop
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

Pf. D wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:35 am In your personal experience when getting autographs from guests, are they seriously picky about only signing officially produced works? Like if I brought a small poster that I drew myself how likely would it be that they would sign it?

Hmmm, I didn't think of a DVD or anything, I'll definitely bring one now
There is so much official stuff a guest could sign!! Poster, DVD insert, postcards, Funko Pop boxes...

I've had toys signed: a voice actress signed the box of a doll couple years ago - not the easiest thing to pack, but hey, why not!
Something like a decade ago another guest signed a pencilboard! (show of hands, who even remembers those things?) A friend had her prop signed 'cause heeey why not

Also, in my past experiences: this was mostly true for the Japanese guests - their 'handlers' specifically told everyone to NOT bring any bootleg stuff for signing & would try to keep an eye out for it. As an option they offered lil freebie posters in their booth & panels that you could later bring to the signing if you didn't have anything else lined up
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:22 am
oh i don't know greg did that for me with out question two years ago when you had the new rules up, I was prepared to leave and he just signed it... it wasn't for me so i wouldn't have even bothered....
I think the one item policy was only implemented last year and the policy before that had 2 items. We did the change to give everyone a better chance at getting at least one autograph from the guest and get the line moving faster beyond that first 100
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Nemra wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:07 am
Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:22 am
I think the one item policy was only implemented last year and the policy before that had 2 items. We did the change to give everyone a better chance at getting at least one autograph from the guest and get the line moving faster beyond that first 100
i have no problem with the way you do things at ab i quite enjoy it (now that i have the ability to get the disability pass) but before it was a bit frustrating and such....we couldn't even chill and wait in the general area with out the autograph orange shirts barking at us to walk around, what if we just wanted to sit down? my lower back isn't all that good and i have to lean against the wall sometimes in order for it to make it feel better....when i heard about your disability sticker i got all exited (and i usually don't like to flont my disability) so it's like the best thing ever and every one was ten times nicer last year then they were in the past
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

MechaHeretic
Experienced Poster

Post by MechaHeretic »

Hello I have a question, and I thought it would be best to ask in this thread as opposed to making a new one if that's okay. In terms of autographs, I notice how it says bringing an item, will guests only be signing items that have been given to them, or will there be a small selection of prints and such at their table, like other conventions typically do? And if so, will they cost extra?

Thank you in advance.
Vu
AB Staff

Post by Vu »

Some guests will have promotion poster prints from the shows that they worked on at their autograph session. They usually have those in bulk, so they will sign and give them out for free.

The Dealers' Room is a different story. Some guests will have headshots and such, but will have an additional charge for them. There might be a sign with prices on the table. Some might not charge for them. Other guests, such as the bands, will have CDs and other apparel for purchase and signed as well.

All in all, it varies from guest to guest. But it's always best to be prepared, just in case. You can ask the liaison once you get to the Autograph session or Dealers' Room booth. They can provide more information for that specific guest.
Vu Tran
North American Guest Liaison
Anime Boston 2022

Viva la manatee!

"Gonna have to go find my eyeballs, I rolled them too hard"
- Rebecca Lee, 2019
MechaHeretic
Experienced Poster

Post by MechaHeretic »

Vu wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:39 am Some guests will have promotion poster prints from the shows that they worked on at their autograph session. They usually have those in bulk, so they will sign and give them out for free.

The Dealers' Room is a different story. Some guests will have headshots and such, but will have an additional charge for them. There might be a sign with prices on the table. Some might not charge for them. Other guests, such as the bands, will have CDs and other apparel for purchase and signed as well.

All in all, it varies from guest to guest. But it's always best to be prepared, just in case. You can ask the liaison once you get to the Autograph session or Dealers' Room booth. They can provide more information for that specific guest.
Thank you very much for that!