First-time Volunteer questions

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
starwolf8989
Expert Poster

Post by starwolf8989 »

Hi guys,
I just stumbled upon the volunteering section of the AB site. I don't know what to really expect if I were to become a volunteer.
Could someone just give me a brief summary of what their day would be like if they were to be a volunteer?
Thanks
Rappak
AB Executive

Post by Rappak »

You did read through this link right?

http://www.animeboston.com/about/volunteering/

Richard Pakpreo

Volunteer 2006-2007
Junior Volunteer Wrangler 2008-2009
Senior Volunteer Wrangler 2010-2015
Treasury Staff 2016-2019
Director of Treasury 2020-2024
starwolf8989
Expert Poster

Post by starwolf8989 »

Yes, I did read the volunteering page.
I still don't quite get what would be expected of me if I were to become a volunteer.
I just wanted to know what other volunteers did when they were at AB, what are the options, you know?
Sasuke
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Sasuke »

Obviously you skimmed that page, because it's pretty precise.

What Do Volunteers Do?
Volunteers do whatever is needed and necessary to keep the convention gears well-oiled and cranking. Here are some (but nowhere finite) of the duties we are responsible for:

Have fast hands? You can assist Registration in bagging, ID assembly, and managing the attendees!
Have eyes of a hawk? Help check badges at various panels and events!
Have tech. know-how? Help the Tech. Dept. in making things dazzle!
Always been told you can't sit still by your teachers? Use that energy, and become a runner/gopher for supplies needed by the staff!
Always wanted to become a super hero? Well now you can in the eyes of the staffers here at the convention! When you have over 10,000 people to manage, any extra help you give, no matter how small, makes you a hero here at Anime Boston!

But if you're aching for the tiny details, then here it is. The most abundant work are:
1) Working with registrations by stuffing free swag bags, attaching lanyards to badges, running bags to the attendees
2) Line control - keeping people from cutting, moving in a orderly fashion, and prevent chaos in general
3) Running errands - move item A from point B to point C
4) Check badges and IDs, only attendees with badges are allowed in, and 18+ for 18+ events
5) Assisting other departments when they are short on staff... which could be any variety of things: counting ballots, setting up panels, etc etc etc.

I think that about covers it...
Sanctjud
AB Alumni

Post by Sanctjud »

But the most important part:

You get to join a pretty fun community that exists within and beyond the con. We are a 'family' during the con, with a home base to always fall back to esp. if you are an All-Con attendee.

There's food, there's a place to rest/put your stuff down, you can meet some choice people who prob. have a lot more in common with you since they are volunteering as well.

I highly suggest just 'trying it out'. There's nothing to lose and it's a great experience on top of what is going on at AB. It's not gonna take up that much of your time, honestly.

The second or third year I got the Top Gun award for most hours put in... I loved volunteering so much I put more time into it than the actual Con nearly. I'm not saying you should do what I did, but it's a great experience and well worth the effort.

What you put in the Volunteer Staff will give in return.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the new and old Volunteers there :D.
Andrew Lee
Formal Ball Staff 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018!
I highly suggest volunteering for Anime Boston! ^_^