Prop sword question?

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Sunaku
Getting the hang of this...

Prop sword question?

Post by Sunaku »

Hello good people of Boston. AB11 will be my fist AB! I read the weapons policy and a thread which mentioned "con safe" swords. I am a bit confused what would be considered as "con safe" I'm going to be taking the train to Mass From North Carolina that is over a 9+ hour ride for me which means I've got to haul my props up with me. I want to make my swords "con safe" To avoid having to Bring them up via train only to be told they are not allowed and making me put them back into the hotel room and regret I brought them with me. So far the plans are to make them out of a thin wood and make their Sheath which I'm not quite sure what I'll be making them out of yet. If Staff could tell me what is considered con safe I would love to take that advice before making them. I do Know different cons have different rules so I am double checking with ya'll. ^_^

Also How do peace bonding work? I've never been to a con that has done this yet so I'm eager to learn!
Wii Block Her

Prop sword question?

Post by Wii Block Her »

[quote=Sunaku]Hello good people of Boston. AB11 will be my fist AB! I read the weapons policy and a thread which mentioned "con safe" swords. I am a bit confused what would be considered as "con safe" I'm going to be taking the train to Mass From North Carolina that is over a 9+ hour ride for me which means I've got to haul my props up with me. I want to make my swords "con safe" To avoid having to Bring them up via train only to be told they are not allowed and making me put them back into the hotel room and regret I brought them with me. So far the plans are to make them out of a thin wood and make their Sheath which I'm not quite sure what I'll be making them out of yet. If Staff could tell me what is considered con safe I would love to take that advice before making them. I do Know different cons have different rules so I am double checking with ya'll. ^_^

Also How do peace bonding work? I've never been to a con that has done this yet so I'm eager to learn![/quote]

Hello,

We have a nice little section about the weapon policy's Here. We normally like to use this analogy, if you hit yourself over the head will it break/ or not hurt. If the answer is yes chances are you are okay.

But as stated " We can not pre approve any weapons before con."

If you do need more assistance let us know.
Jen Legay
Security Auditor 11,12
Security : 03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11

At this time we are not hiring any Ninjas.
However, we are growing and things are always changing so please
continue to be in touch
ninja_girl21
Obsessed Poster

Prop sword question?

Post by ninja_girl21 »

thanks i dont know what to do about my keyblade but i read it thanks
i been going to anime boston since 2004
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Prop sword question?

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=Sunaku]I want to make my swords "con safe" To avoid having to Bring them up via train only to be told they are not allowed and making me put them back into the hotel room and regret I brought them with me. So far the plans are to make them out of a thin wood and make their Sheath which I'm not quite sure what I'll be making them out of yet. [/quote]
Hey there! :) I'm not staff, but I followed this tutorial last year to make my sword and security was OK with it. No guarantee that you'd have the same results, but anyway...
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=143563

The wood was thin enough that I could snap it easily.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Prop sword question?

Post by Kogarashi »

May I also recommend fun foam as an option for prop weapons. It's quite lightweight and once you paint it (give it a few coats of spray fixative first) it can look pretty convincing.
DAX
Expert Poster

Prop sword question?

Post by DAX »

At Home Depot, they have big pink sheets of foam insulation. It's not fiberglass, so you won't get all itchy from using it.

you could buy a couple of sheets, cut out the proper shape and glue them together. It would be light-weight and definitely up to con safety standards.

the only issue would be the handle I guess. We painted a couple for a "santa's workshop" thing we did in front of the hardware dept. using regular behr interior paint, and it looked good :>
(I work there lol)
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Prop sword question?

Post by DocWatson »

[quote=DAX]the only issue would be the handle I guess.[/quote]
Three-quarter- and one inch PVC pipe are your friends. :content: "A Complete Introduction to Boffing" has different purpose, but may still be helpful.