A bit of a complex question regarding artist's alley and registration.

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Hermes
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Hermes »

Hello!

My sister (Galbinus) signed up and received (she got the confirmation email) an Artist's Alley slot. She was told she didn't have to pre-register, which is something that's confusing her. The email told her that she'd be able to pick up her badge at the spot in animeboston (or something like that; I'm afraid I don't have the email as a reference at the moment.)

[quote]Do I need a convention badge/how do I get one?
Yes, all Artists' Alley Participants must register to attend Anime Boston 2011. Information can be found here. If you have not purchased a convention badge prior to submitting payment for your Artists Alley table space it will be mandatory to register for Anime Boston 2011 during the table payment process.
Due to complications that arise during the sign up process, we highly recommend buying your convention registration at the same time as your Artists' Alley space purchase; it's just a lot easier for everyone that way.[/quote]

So how does that work out? That seems to contradict what the email sent to my sister says, that she should NOT pre-register. Also, how does my sister receive an AA badge? (In the mail, after she pays? Does she have to pick it up on the day of the convention?)

My main question actually isn't that (sorry for putting you through it), but this: what if I were to help her out at the stand? I'd need a pass, I'm certain (I read about it in the FAQ), or else I'd be deemed "squatting." Do you know how I might obtain a pass or a badge or some form of identification to help out at my sister's Artist's Alley stall? I'm not the artist, but she needs me to help her take care of her stall and arrange her items. Should I pre-register, like I am tempted to? I don't understand the FAQ that regards this section. I'll try quoting directly from it:

[quote]If you insist on using the Alley, keep these things in mind for your stuff:

- Bring friends to help you carry stuff [highlight](all people coming through must have convention badges, so your mom can't help you 'unpack' if she doesn't have a badge)[/highlight].[/quote]

Then it says here:

[quote]If you share your table, you are allowed to seek compensation for it, however you cannot ask for more money than the table is worth. If we hear that people have paid more to share a table then they would have if they'd been able to buy one on their own, we will have to take corrective action.

And don't forget to inform the AA staff if you will be doing this, so that we do not kick anyone out for "squatting" without cause.[/quote]

So do the people "squatting" at my sister's possible table have to get a badge, like it says in the first quote, or does she just have to tell the convention staff in person?

Also, regarding the highlighted part in the first comparative quote: does that refer to the convention badge, or the artist's alley badge?

Thanks! :) I hope this wasn't confusing.
BlackSunRising
AB Alumni

Post by BlackSunRising »

Three things:

1.) Your sister is NOT confirmed for an Artist Alley slot. Her confirmation e-mail is only to say that she submitted her letter of intent.

2.) She WILL have to pre-register when she is notified that she has received a table. You finish paying for your Artist Alley table and your convention badge at the same time.

3.) She picks up her Artist Alley badge AT the convention.

4.) If you were to help her at her table, you would need a convention badge AND an Artist Alley badge, which you can obtain at the Artist Alley Info Desk once you've arrived at teh convention. Both you and your sister MUST be at least 16 years old at the time of the convention. Your sister can sign you up as her assistant. You can pre-register, if you'd like, but when you register doesn't really matter as long as you have a convention badge.

The e-mail your sister received is NOT CONFIRMATION THAT SHE HAS RECEIVED A TABLE. Table confirmations will not be e-mailed out until November, at the very earliest.
Hermes
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Hermes »

Oh, alright, thanks for telling me. (:
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

The thing about table squatters is that sometimes people see an empty table and just sit down to do their thing. That thing could be sketching, it could be playing cards, it could just be sitting down for a while. Now, the person that got the space in the first place might have gone to catch a panel or get some lunch or something and then we've got a pretty uncomfortable situation. It's cool if a person knows they'll be away for a while (or wants to share space with a friend) and they can tell us so we don't hassle someone for crashing their space. The difference is if it's just some random person that might also end up creeping out the neighboring artists. Nobody wants their supplies to go missing and there's a bit of trust that can exist between neighbors that have something on the line (the cost of the space, for example.)
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!