Staff Applications

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Staff Applications

Post by kiarrens »

Is there a set date when these positions will be filled, or is that entirely dependant upon the department?
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
BlackSunRising
AB Alumni

Staff Applications

Post by BlackSunRising »

Please use the contact page and directly message the department you're applying to, as the department manager will be able to more accurately answer your question.
Kagomechan
AB Staff

Staff Applications

Post by Kagomechan »

Security will be interviewing in two batches:

a) Applications received through December 31st.
b) Applications received between January 1st and March 15th.

So, if you're applying for Security Staff, you will not hear anything until the first of the year. This is so we can get as many returning staff in as possible before adding new staff.
Mary Kaplan
Staff Resource Manager for Anime Boston 2013-2024
Director of Operations for Anime Boston 2006-2012
Secretary 2004-2005
Information Desk Manager 2003-2005
LeeJas
I'm new!

Staff Applications

Post by LeeJas »

Any word on other departments when/what their interview process is?

Edit: I sent in a contact message but haven't gotten a reply either.
BlackSunRising
AB Alumni

Staff Applications

Post by BlackSunRising »

Please give us some time to reply to staff applications. Anime Boston staff are entirely comprised of volunteers so we all have day jobs and personal lives.

Which department was it?
LeeJas
I'm new!

Staff Applications

Post by LeeJas »

I sent the email to the head of all the departments (I applied specifically for gaming, so I sent the email to the head of the department above it since no one was listed in charge)
Shiggitay
Expert Poster

Staff Applications

Post by Shiggitay »

I personally don't see the point of being staff if you're a fan. That restricts which activities you can attend during the con. Now, I'm not saying I don't appreciate all the work that's put into organizing it all, but it's just not for me (unless you're paid something decent, which I doubt since AB is non-profit)..

Faceman
AB Executive

Staff Applications

Post by Faceman »

[quote=Shiggitay]I personally don't see the point of being staff if you're a fan. That restricts which activities you can attend during the con. Now, I'm not saying I don't appreciate all the work that's put into organizing it all, but it's just not for me (unless you're paid something decent, which I doubt since AB is non-profit)..

[/quote]

I can see what you mean.

However, from my own standpoint, I'm such a big fan of Anime Boston, I joined staff to help make it better than it already was. That mentality in turn can lead to a better experience for everyone and more fans! :D
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Nyiana
AB Alumni

Staff Applications

Post by Nyiana »

:) It all depends on what you do on staff. This past year, I worked in ConOps from 8am-2pm, and then I had the entire rest of the day and night to enjoy the con. I still got to see the major events I wanted to see, and do everything else. It ended up being a lot of fun.
Samantha Normandin
2017 Convention Operations Staff

2015-2016 Attendee
2014 ConOps
2013 Attendee
2010-2012 ConOps
2007-2009 Attendee
AliceTanzer
AB Staff

Staff Applications

Post by AliceTanzer »

I know on overnight sec staff we are definitely fans. Heck, we're going to be running our own panel on Sunday morning!
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'07 '08 '09 '10 '11 Security(Overnight)
'06 Security
'04 Artist Alley Co-Manager

"She has a medical degree. In fashion. From France!"
BDragonD24
Committed Poster

Staff Applications

Post by BDragonD24 »

You can still definitely enjoy the con and as staff you get a different perspective on the con as well. I thoroughly enjoy being on staff and I think most of us that are on staff feel the same way :)
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Staff Applications

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=Shiggitay]I personally don't see the point of being staff if you're a fan. That restricts which activities you can attend during the con. Now, I'm not saying I don't appreciate all the work that's put into organizing it all, but it's just not for me (unless you're paid something decent, which I doubt since AB is non-profit)..

[/quote]
I personally look at it as "giving back to the convention." I've been an attendee since 2003, and I've had a ton of fun at the expense of others. So if I can volunteer some time to give OTHERS a good time, it makes me feel like I'm paying it back. :)
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
mycherrywolf
AB Alumni

Staff Applications

Post by mycherrywolf »

Hi! I applied for junior tech staff a few days ago, and I was just wondering if all departments will be interviewing. Also, how long does it normally take to get a response on an application? I know everyone's busy, and I'm entirely grateful Anime Boston is doing so much, but an estimate would be awesome.

And this is probably a stupid question, but I still can't find the answer anywhere. If we get rejected for a position, can we try applying to another? I didn't write in my application that I was thinking of applying for another one because that's the job I really want to help out with; but if I get rejected, I want to help staff anyway, regardless of the job, really. Should I apply for another position now, then and send in another application?

Sorry for all the questions; any help would be much appreciated. :content:
AJ Gam
Junior Tech Staff 2011, 2013, 2014

(ノ>▽<。)ノ
Faceman
AB Executive

Staff Applications

Post by Faceman »

Each department has their own schedule for reviewing and interviewing applicants. All applicants may not be contacted for an interview, as it's up to the department head's discretion and concerns what the position requires. You can always try contacting the department head via the contact form if you don't hear from them after several weeks.

And yes, you can apply for multiple positions. You don't have to wait to hear back from one if you don't want to. Many people fill out multiple applications at once. It comes down to what the position requires, and what each person presents as being able to offer to fill it.

And if you don't hear back right away, please don't be discouraged. There are dozens of applications department heads have to go through, and between that, real life commitments (work), and the holidays, it can take a while to go through. Again, each department head has their own schedule that they follow for applications.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!