Anime Convention Ettiquette and Basics?

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
MonsterAmpHouse
Getting the hang of this...

Post by MonsterAmpHouse »

[color:blue]This year at Anime Boston 2010 was my very first convention, therefore making me no longer a "con virgin", as one of the guys running the Karaoke Contest typed up on the screen after my singing performance.

But even after this year, I'm still confused as to how everything is run and whatever is going on within a two mile radius. I'm continuing to lurk around the forums, but just in case I missed something, is there anything I need to know about anime conventions in general and how I can keep myself from getting confused about the mass activity and feeling left out of the events I end up missing?

Thankers to anyone who responds~! :D [/color]
Anime Boston 2010
Matt - Death Note
L - Death Note

Anime Boston 2011
Pajama!China - Hetalia
Urban!Iruka - Naruto

Anime Boston 2012
Mephisto Pheles - Ao no Exorcist

Anime Boston 2013
Kotetsu Kaburagi - Tiger & Bunny
kmcwilliams94
Determined Poster

Post by kmcwilliams94 »

i would say defiantly read the paper they give out with the schedule.
AB 2015
Mami Tomoe (Friday),
Armin (Saturday)
Sailor Moon (Sunday)
Sanctjud
AB Alumni

Post by Sanctjud »

Not only to read that, but get an updated one when it becomes available.
There isn't much elbow room and changes/mistakes do happen. So your best bet is to grab a program each morning of each day at the very least.

Also, take 5-10 min. to sit down and comb through it (with friends even) to see what you want to do.

I mean it's not too helpful but: I suggest always trying to go to the 'big' events, the headliners of the day.

In addition, you can always socialize with other people, either when waiting on line for something, or starting up a casual conversation about purchasing something in the dealers room, etc, and get some idea of what others are interested in doing.

As for Ettiquette, #1 on the list is both a joke and utter seriousness: take a shower everyday, twice if you already do :D
#2, though equally important is the Golden Rule, treat others as you would want treated yourself. It's a big event and there's lots going on, but everyone is there to have fun and to enjoy themselves there. If there are any issues, take it up with a Staffer/Security staff.

Read the FAQ on the main Anime Boston website, it includes much of the useful information about surviving the con IMO.

'Pro'tips:
-bring a backpack or bag of somekind.
-bring a re-usable bottle with you and keep hydrated (don't forget to eat either)
-keep personal items close (wallets/IDs).
-wear comfortable shoes. <--bring band-aids if not :D
Andrew Lee
Formal Ball Staff 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018!
I highly suggest volunteering for Anime Boston! ^_^
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

The staffers have what we call a 5-2-1 rule. It stands for:

At lest 5 hours of sleep, 2 full meals, and 1 shower everyday. Obviously the first two would be better with more if you can, but that is the absolute least you should do so you can be at least reasonably well rested, fed, and most importantly clean.

Other rules to keep in mind:
- Most convention goers despise yelling out memes, at least that's been my experience. I am hard pressed to find people who enjoy them. I wouldn't join in unless you want to annoy everyone around you. Granted this isn't a rule, you certainly can do it, but you asked about good con etiquette, so I think it fits.

- Do not glomp people. If you want to hug a cosplayer, always ask and don't get pouty or insistent if they say no. Many costumes are complicated with lots of hard work and they may not want it destroyed by a hug, or they may be uncomfortable with hugging strangers. It's always their right to say no. I remember sitting outside having a cigarette once and someone tried to insist I kiss his hand because he was keeping a count. I said no, but he kept asking until finally he got the message. While we're all nerds here, and cons are a great place to interact with people you may not see otherwise, it's important to remember that what you may be okay with (Hugging strangers, yelling memes) is not necessarily okay with the people around you, so keep that in mind.

- Check the schedule constantly, check the doors with the panels, they will have updated times, check with the info booth for scheduling changes. Always try and follow the advice of the security people when getting in line for events. (Those people in the orange shirts.) Their job is crowd control so they should be able to point you where you want to go to wait in line for various events.

- Use your program guide. It has great guides to food areas in and around the location.

- Tip! employees in hotels and the restaurant business make their money from tips. Keep a few dollars for the bellhop and bag check. If your money is limited, don't go to a restaurant where you wouldn't be able to tip. A waitress pays 8% tax on tips, if you don't tip them, they have to still pay 8% tax for waiting on you. Fast food services like at the food court don't have that issue. So if you want to conserve money, don't eat at places where tipping is customary. If you do eat at a restaurant, always always tip. 15% is considered okay. 20% is better.

That's all I can think of on the top of my head.
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Post by Rox3l »

Yeah, grab the con chowder, the schedule that they hand out. It help to look it over before hand and mark what you want to seen, what you kinda want to see and what would be back up if you miss the times.

Be nice to the staff.

If you are staying at the Sherton, try not to get too upset by the slow elevators. There are probably tons of people pressing the buttons on every floor, so things are going to get backed up.

On a side note, noticed your sig.

I don't know if you know this or not but TVXQ broke up maybe a few months ago or so. A couple of the members went solo. :/
AB'13: Riven (League of Legends)
AB'14: Queen Elinor (Brave)
AB'15: Female Twisted Fate (League of Legends)
MonsterAmpHouse

Post by MonsterAmpHouse »

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it! :D

[quote=DolceNeko]On a side note, noticed your sig.

I don't know if you know this or not but TVXQ broke up maybe a few months ago or so. A couple of the members went solo. :/[/quote]

I've been aware of the whole issue with SM Entertainment, but are they officially broken up? I haven't had access to any Korean news because I don't have Dish Network anymore -_- And I can't seem to find any recent news on them online. I'd be devastated to find out they're not going to get back together. They're the reason why I aspire to become the next breakthrough in mainstream music. Haha~
Anime Boston 2010
Matt - Death Note
L - Death Note

Anime Boston 2011
Pajama!China - Hetalia
Urban!Iruka - Naruto

Anime Boston 2012
Mephisto Pheles - Ao no Exorcist

Anime Boston 2013
Kotetsu Kaburagi - Tiger & Bunny
President Aria
Veteran Poster

Post by President Aria »

[quote=Eilonnwy]
Other rules to keep in mind:
- Most convention goers despise yelling out memes, at least that's been my experience. I am hard pressed to find people who enjoy them. I wouldn't join in unless you want to annoy everyone around you. Granted this isn't a rule, you certainly can do it, but you asked about good con etiquette, so I think it fits. [/quote]

This is the one thing I wish people would follow. Yeah, it's pretty disgusting when you catch a noseful of some disgusting piglet who thinks he or she doesn't stink so they don't need to shower all weekend, but it's equally offensive to have someone screaming Marco Polo or announcing they Tom Selleck'ed it up for the millionth time.

Ah well, the 4channers that do that probably don't even come on these forums, so complaining about it is pretty pointless. If only we could legally punch them in the mouth whenever they started these stupid memes.
nagash
Veteran Poster

Post by nagash »

I'm not sure if AnimeBoston has one, but if there is a resturant guide, spend some time to go over that as it can tell you what's around the convention center (and maybe even have a map).

Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

There is, it's right here: http://www.animeboston.com/location/food/

We also include it in the program guide.
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Post by Rox3l »

The restaurant guide has helped me a lot in the past, but unfortunately the food court closes earlier then we usually make it down for dinner so I would also suggest being familiar with the local convenience stores. My Sat of '08 was saved by a 7 Eleven and cold cans of Chef Boyardee. xD Not very tasty but when you are a starving con goer, can't be too picky. ^^;
AB'13: Riven (League of Legends)
AB'14: Queen Elinor (Brave)
AB'15: Female Twisted Fate (League of Legends)
Ikkimaru

Post by Ikkimaru »

If You are going to be attending a convention for a weekend. look on line for an early schedule. some times they give them out. Or if you go to pick up your badge on the day before the convention, sit in the hotel and read through everything and make a list as to everything you want to do to things you don't want to do etc.
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

[quote=Ikkimaru]Or if you go to pick up your badge on the day before the convention, sit in the hotel and read through everything and make a list as to everything you want to do to things you don't want to do etc.[/quote]
I like to bring highlighters in several colors to mark up the schedule grid (e.g., green = "obligated to attend as panelist", orange = "must attend", pink = "maybe attend", etc.).
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=DocWatson]I like to bring highlighters in several colors to mark up the schedule grid (e.g., green = "obligated to attend as panelist", orange = "must attend", pink = "maybe attend", etc.).[/quote]
I like that idea! I actually hadn't considered separate colors.

Also, a bit of self-promotion, but the AnimeCons.com Podcast has a number of tips for convention attendees. Some months we do general tips, sometimes we focus on cosplay, then artists' alley, and so on. The August episode, for example, focused on cosplay photography. http://animecons.com/podcast/
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
Amjam
Determined Poster

Post by Amjam »

Have some spare cash on you. Not a lot, but don't use up everything you put in your wallet for the day (and for kids or fellow folks on a budget, don't plan to use up everything you have/set aside) - hide a ten or twenty in your hat or something so you don't spend it accidentally. You never know when you might end up needing to take the T, use a payphone, get an emergency bottle of water, etc.

If you see a guest or cosplayer in the hall and ask them to stop for a picture and they say no, that's that. Don't hassle people.

Brush your teeth in the morning, and try to do it before bed too. Some people take their shower and/or throw on their Old Spice, but then you get into conversation and uncomfortable wafting ensues. It's awkward, it's gross, be hygenic please.

Pick up a subway map at south station. If you go exploring to see the city (and who doesn't want to explore Boston? it's awesome) you can find a nearby stop basically anywhere you manage to get yourself. If you're just visiting, it'll also help you keep your routes straight so you don't, say, come from the copley station ready for con time but get on the heath st. train.
:geek: Arthur
attendee since '06, occasional panelist
DuckTapeBunny
AB Alumni

Post by DuckTapeBunny »

As far as etiquette just common cense, if you wouldn't do it outside the con, don't to it inside the con.

As for being prepared, I like to treat con's like camping trips. [lol extra socks and a first aid kit.] Be a girl/boy scout about it and come over prepared. I'm sure you can find a dozen lists of stuff to bring and how to plan things but it's always the one thing you leave behind to conserve space you end up needing the most. Or at least that's been my luck.
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

[quote=DuckTapeBunny]I'm sure you can find a dozen lists of stuff to bring and how to plan things but it's always the one thing you leave behind to conserve space you end up needing the most. Or at least that's been my luck.[/quote]
While I often end up forgetting something anyway, I have a convention packing checklist in the form of an Excel spreadsheet to help me avoid leaving critical items behind.