Music.... Isnt that.... Kinda Vague?

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

Post by Suna Sato »

What kinda music are we talking... are we talking animes that do music? Kick ass music in Anime? Music in general that has no relation to Anime? I mean... I'm kinda confused? Science was easy to match music... isnt.....
Of Course im Jenova again this year! Join me my children the year of the Jenovas Witness begins!!!!
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

[quote=AluminiumAeris]What kinda music are we talking... are we talking animes that do music? Kick ass music in Anime? Music in general that has no relation to Anime? I mean... I'm kinda confused? Science was easy to match music... isnt..... [/quote]

We're working on a wide range of ideas and options, and getting some awesome art together. It will likely involve several of the things you've mentioned but we're not quite ready to make any announcements yet.
Hope McChesney
Assistant Director of Programming/ Formal Ball Co-Chair
Toph88
Expert Poster

Post by Toph88 »

Well there are a ton of music anime/manga out there that you could cosplay as. Or cosplay someone from a Fantasy or Comedy anime/manga and just put a music spin to it.
Cons been to: Anime Boston '09, '11, '12, '13, '14
LusciousGrapes
Expert Poster

Post by LusciousGrapes »

I think every theme-related event should be performed in musical numbers.
formerly: xturbulancexx
AB12: Subaru Sumeragi [Tokyo Babylon], Roxy Lalonde [Homestuck (God Tier)]
AB13: Latula Pyrope (God Tier, casual), Aradia Megido (God Tier, casual), possible Altair, Dave Strider, Subaru Sumeragi
Nyiana
AB Alumni

Post by Nyiana »

If you ask me, it leaves it open for multiple genre's of Japanese music, which is a good thing. There is more to music than just J-rock ya know.

Be cool and stay positive about it, the next convention is 11 months away, so there's tons of time left to have everything be announced.
Samantha Normandin
2017 Convention Operations Staff

2015-2016 Attendee
2014 ConOps
2013 Attendee
2010-2012 ConOps
2007-2009 Attendee
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Oh great. That means Aizen will be caterwauling all con long.

K-san, can your bazooka fire shoes?
Sanctjud
AB Alumni

Post by Sanctjud »

I'd like to see some rocking Guitars with the FLCL fans :D.
Andrew Lee
Formal Ball Staff 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018!
I highly suggest volunteering for Anime Boston! ^_^
dark mousi
Veteran Poster

Post by dark mousi »

i actually brought my real electric guitar last year and got it signed by mym. she was soooo cute. looking forward to know who our musical guest or guests will be this time. also hoping that at the miyavi concert they will let him sign my guitar. ^_^ that'd be awesome. plan to construct that double axel guitar off of flcl as well for this now that i know. guess its pirate king for me one of the days then. hope i can get it done cuz that'd b epic. i've seen tv boys but not many in his king state normally. also i kinda hope that the staff of ab will bring back their kami sama. ^_^ squee!! i'm sooo excited already and its not even close to time yet ha ha
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=Fetch]Oh great. That means Aizen will be caterwauling all con long.

K-san, can your bazooka fire shoes?[/quote]
Stop giving us ideas. XD
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
grasping.at.pearls
Veteran Poster

Post by grasping.at.pearls »

[quote=AluminiumAeris]Music in general that has no relation to Anime?[/quote]

..ummm....Glee? anyone? it's not anime related, but would that be appropriate? I am totally willing to coordinate "impromptu" song and dance numbers in the hallway if anyone is interested in joining me in recreating the McKinley glee club :)

-will go post this in cosplay groups and gatherings-
kyuuketsuki
Getting the hang of this...

Post by kyuuketsuki »

thats why this is such a great theme!!!
it means we can have a range from

traditional music.. geisha cosplay would be cool
anime music at karaoke..
jpop
jrock visual kei, ya feel me?
japanese music everywhere! anime or not lets rock!

and that means we can get crazy with the bands.
we should get a japanese band to come.. and a bigger one than gagaaling... since we got like 17k atendees, we should get some huge kickass band like VERSAILLES. or even a smaller indies band that rocks hard! cons are great for getting japanese bands big in the usa.
jrock cosplay is kickass, id much rather see that at a con than batman or alice in wonderland.
draxthedestroyer

Post by draxthedestroyer »

I'm super pumped for the music theme. I'm a steam punker and an over all music fan. This will give me so much play with things now. I'm stoked for this year coming up.
stray-x
Veteran Poster

Post by stray-x »

I'm excited for Anime Boston's music theme! I hope that means more bands/musicians!
Otakon had a music theme this year and they brought Home Made Kazoku, the Yoshida Brothers, and a bunch of other musical guests.
SeanDonnanArt
Expert Poster

Post by SeanDonnanArt »

I want a rockin J-Rock band!!!!!!!
Hakkyou1403

Post by Hakkyou1403 »

Why not all kinds of music? I mean anime music and J-pop/rock are great, but they get kind of old. There's a vast world of music that can be explored among the thousands of people who go to the con :)
DuckTapeBunny
AB Alumni

Post by DuckTapeBunny »

I found it a little vague but I think it'll just give everyone a little more wiggle room to work with. n.n

Besides although not as much with J-music, K-pop is starting to get really popular. [Which it totally great by me. <3]
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=Hakkyou1403]Why not all kinds of music? I mean anime music and J-pop/rock are great, but they get kind of old. There's a vast world of music that can be explored among the thousands of people who go to the con :)[/quote]
So, if I understand what you're saying, you'd rather hear anything but anime music at Anime Boston?
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
Hakkyou1403

Post by Hakkyou1403 »

No, what I'm saying is the musical theme shouldn't be limited to anime music. Besides Anime Boston isn't just for anime if that were the case, con patrons wouldn't dress up as comic book characters, movie characters, etc that aren't from Japan. What I'm saying is that we should be more open with such a diverse topic. It's not like we get music as a theme for Anime Boston every year, so I think we should use this opportunity to our advantage and explore it as much as we can.
Blackbird8916

Post by Blackbird8916 »

I really kinda think it would be nice to be a bit more diverse with this theme. 'Music' that can be anything pretty much, any genre. If your really going to be that uptight about it and only stick to Japanese related music then no offense, someone should have named the theme "Japanese Music" otherwise the theme means nothing.

Music comes in all genres, I mean I can understand omitting certain ones like country, or rap. But there have been so many different styles of music throughout the classic anime's.
Cowboy Bebop - Jazz (American)
Beck:Mongolian Chop Squad - Metal and Rock (American)
Deathnote- Death Metal (Japanese)
Dragon Ball Z - Rock n' Roll (American)
Miyazaki Films - Classical Music (Japanese and American)
Samurai Champloo- Hip hop/Rap
Afro Samurai- Industrial/ Hip Hop
Pokemon- Pop (American)
Sailor Moon- Pop (American)
GetBackers- Pop (Japanese)
Ergo Proxy- Industrial (American)
Wolf's Rain- Classic/ Melodic (American)
Tenchi Muyo- Classic Japanese Music
Gundam Wing - 80's Japanese Rock
Love Hina - Japanese Pop
Inuyasha - Classical Japanese Music as well as Japanese Pop

I'm just saying, the theme is Music. Not Japanese Music. We should try and embrace all kinds of Music in a sense.

BDragonD24
Committed Poster

Post by BDragonD24 »

The theme of music is still going to apply to the general premise of Anime Boston, the theme doesn't need to be called Japanese Music, one could assume that the music would be related to Japanese Music, Anime Music, etc. because as Patrick did mention this is Anime Boston
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

[quote=Hakkyou1403]No, what I'm saying is the musical theme shouldn't be limited to anime music. Besides Anime Boston isn't just for anime if that were the case, con patrons wouldn't dress up as comic book characters, movie characters, etc that aren't from Japan. What I'm saying is that we should be more open with such a diverse topic. It's not like we get music as a theme for Anime Boston every year, so I think we should use this opportunity to our advantage and explore it as much as we can.[/quote]

So in other words you want us to become more like Comic Con? :/ Sorry, I find it hard to follow the logic here.
Blackbird8916

Post by Blackbird8916 »

Yes, and if you would refer to my long list, all the music and different styles are ANIME music. Music in the Anime itself as well as theme songs from the Anime, all those styles are varied and classified as you put it "Anime Music." So why can't those different styles be embraced in the theme?
BDragonD24
Committed Poster

Post by BDragonD24 »

Because it doesn't have to be. If you were to attend a Sci-Fi convention and the year's theme was music a person would expect that the "music" would be centered around the music from the Genre therefore there is no need to specify what kind of music the theme is. This is, or should be, assumed based on the event the theme is being used for. Another example would be a convention for say sports... One would expect to hear music like "We are the champions" not "My Heart, My Soul" even without the theme being "Sports Music" why? because that's what the event is about.
Hakkyou1403

Post by Hakkyou1403 »

[quote=Phantom 1][quote=Hakkyou1403]No, what I'm saying is the musical theme shouldn't be limited to anime music. Besides Anime Boston isn't just for anime if that were the case, con patrons wouldn't dress up as comic book characters, movie characters, etc that aren't from Japan. What I'm saying is that we should be more open with such a diverse topic. It's not like we get music as a theme for Anime Boston every year, so I think we should use this opportunity to our advantage and explore it as much as we can.[/quote]

So in other words you want us to become more like Comic Con? :/ Sorry, I find it hard to follow the logic here.[/quote]

There is no logic here. I was just making a suggestion because yeah, music is a vague topic. The fact of the matter is you can't center anime music as a specific genre because dozens of animes have used various style of music. All I was trying to do was open up some minds to something new, but I can see that's a crime around here. The point is that Japanese pop and rock aren't all the anime world is about and that's all I was trying to say.
draxthedestroyer

Post by draxthedestroyer »

i think that everyone is being a little too literal. first off how many people fully follow the the theme of the con? second off j-pop and j-rock doesn't have to be anime music. i mean didn't anyone go to the panel about the punk scene in japan last year? there are plenty of things you can do with the theme of music without it having to be a theme to some anime or having it be luv n response or some bull crap like that. where is everyone's imagination? run with the idea.
Hakkyou1403

Post by Hakkyou1403 »

[quote=draxthedestroyer]i think that everyone is being a little too literal. first off how many people fully follow the the theme of the con? second off j-pop and j-rock doesn't have to be anime music. i mean didn't anyone go to the panel about the punk scene in japan last year? there are plenty of things you can do with the theme of music without it having to be a theme to some anime or having it be luv n response or some bull crap like that. where is everyone's imagination? run with the idea.[/quote]

That's exactly all I was trying to say.
Wii Block Her

Post by Wii Block Her »

And i Quote [quote=Hopallee]We're working on a wide range of ideas and options, and getting some awesome art together. It will likely involve several of the things you've mentioned but we're not quite ready to make any announcements yet.
[/quote]

I can't confirm or anything but from what i gathered from that quote I assume that we are looking into many musical avenues.Since were a Anime con and not a Video Game convention that the majority of the music will be Anime related.But again i could be wrong. Just give us some time and i'm sure you will be pleased with what we have in store.
Jen Legay
Security Auditor 11,12
Security : 03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11

At this time we are not hiring any Ninjas.
However, we are growing and things are always changing so please
continue to be in touch
Blackbird8916

Post by Blackbird8916 »

[quote=BDragonD24]Because it doesn't have to be. If you were to attend a Sci-Fi convention and the year's theme was music a person would expect that the "music" would be centered around the music from the Genre therefore there is no need to specify what kind of music the theme is. This is, or should be, assumed based on the event the theme is being used for. Another example would be a convention for say sports... One would expect to hear music like "We are the champions" not "My Heart, My Soul" even without the theme being "Sports Music" why? because that's what the event is about. [/quote]

And I can completely see your perspective on that however those things are really specific, the beauty of Anime and I think many people can agree with me on this is that it's grown over the years and become so versatile. And it's not all about J-rock and J-pop, its so much more than that now. And I think omitting all the other types of music, would just be insulting in a way. That's really all I'm trying to say here, is that we should try to embrace other types of music as much as we can without breaking the theme of the con, and I really think we can go beyond J-pop and J-rock. The reason so many of us become anime fans is because we can all relate to it in a different way because it brings so many different things to the table, especially with the music. Beck:Mongolian Chop Squad is a perfect example of that. As well as many other animes.
I_AM_KIRA
Veteran Poster

Post by I_AM_KIRA »

AB staff never said anything about it just being Jpop/rock, otherwise the theme would specifically be "Jpop/rock"
All that was said was that the theme is Music.
and it IS an Anime con so the music would obviously relate.
Besides i know it will be handled awesomely
Every opening ceremony/Pre-show at AB has had AWESOME music one way or the other :)
Blackbird8916

Post by Blackbird8916 »

[quote=I_AM_KIRA]AB staff never said anything about it just being Jpop/rock, otherwise the theme would specifically be "Jpop/rock"
Every opening ceremony/Pre-show at AB has had AWESOME music one way or the other :)
[/quote]

True they haven't said that, but almost everyone is treating it that way. Hence the reason I felt the need to explain myself further. But our opinions are welcome here and I have fully expressed mine :-)
I_AM_KIRA
Veteran Poster

Post by I_AM_KIRA »

[quote=Blackbird8916][quote=I_AM_KIRA]AB staff never said anything about it just being Jpop/rock, otherwise the theme would specifically be "Jpop/rock"
[/quote]

True they haven't said that, but almost everyone is treating it that way. Hence the reason I felt the need to explain myself further. But our opinions are welcome here and I have fully expressed mine :-)[/quote]

crap...
If that came across as insulting/personal attack
I'm really sorry.
I was speaking in general.
But it's good that you gave an Oppinion
it would be a dull world if everyone were silenced/kept to themselves :thumbup:
Blackbird8916

Post by Blackbird8916 »

Oh no no! It totally didn't! But unfortunately I haven't had good luck since joining the forum recently, people haven't been... polite at all, and before anything escalated (like it has been elsewhere) I just wanted to make sure I was being clear about what I meant.

Your right in saying that they haven't confirmed anything, and I think its really cool that they could be taking the time to consider the view of the con-goers into the matter which is why I think so many people have expressed their view on this subject of "Music". I guess I would just really hate to see it [color:black]limited[/color]to just J pop/J rock. That's all I was really trying to say. :-)
midnightsiren182
AB Staff

Post by midnightsiren182 »

I'm all for just blasting Animetal and Animetal Lady all over, but that's just me. :P
Lauren Gallo
Programming Ops Staff 2024
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=MidnightSiren182]I'm all for just blasting Animetal and Animetal Lady all over, but that's just me. :P[/quote]
By "blasting" you really mean "playing at a reasonable level," right?

Right?
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Anas Ikimaru
Expert Poster

Post by Anas Ikimaru »

[quote]06-26-10 10:24 PM - Post#173795
In response to Suna Sato

thats why this is such a great theme!!!
it means we can have a range from

traditional music.. [color:yellow]geisha cospla[/color]y would be cool
anime music at karaoke..
jpop
jrock visual kei, ya feel me?
japanese music everywhere! anime or not lets rock!

and that means we can get crazy with the bands.
we should get a japanese band to come.. and a bigger one than gagaaling... since we got like 17k atendees, we should get some huge kickass band like VERSAILLES. or even a smaller indies band that rocks hard! cons are great for getting japanese bands big in the usa.
jrock cosplay is kickass, id much rather see that at a con than batman or alice in wonderland.[/quote]

Did someone say Geisha?
>.>
.> <.<[/url]