Invasion of the Cosplayers!

This forum is dedicated to sharing stories, photos, and other discussion related to Anime Boston 2005.
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

The Scene: Friday morning, before opening ceremonies. My wife and I are outside Au Bon Pain having breakfast.

Seated nearby are two older gentlemen of the Armani-suit-wearing, leather-briefcase-toting, "I'm-a-mover-and-shaker" persuasion.

All was right with the world for these two corporate types when they suddenly sat frozen in place while Sakura-chan and Li-kun walked by. (Must have been a loose Card rampaging inside the Prudential Tower...)

The look on these two of total confusion, utter shock, and righteous indignation was absolutely priceless--a real Kodak moment.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

Moments like that just add to my personal frustration of never being in the right place at the right time, and if I am, not having a camera ready.
Amy Caluori
Formal Dance Coordinator 2010-2018
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Formal Dance Staff 2007-2009
OMG HI
Experienced Poster

Post by OMG HI »

[color:green]What I absolutely adore is the strange looks you get when you go out to the little ramen restaurant up the street from AB. Then the old ladies that ask "=D Is this a new trend among teenagers?"[/color]
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

I usually act all suprised when anyone asks saying that I have no idea what's going on and this is how I always dress. Keeping a straight face is the best part, unless you happen to be my tounge.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
OMG HI
Experienced Poster

Post by OMG HI »

[color:green]I shoul try doing that some day.[/color]
Spoofehness
AB Alumni

Post by Spoofehness »

Haha, its priceless when youre on the T. I can't wait to see people's reactions to my gourd.. Though it will annoy the hell out of me that I know that they'll call it a peanut..
(L.) Nik Golubic (-Campbell)
2005-10: Attendee
2011 : Volunteer
2012-14, 16: Security Staff
2017-20, 22: Con Ops Staff
AnimeGuru06
AB Alumni

Post by AnimeGuru06 »

Anime Boston '05 was my first convention ever so I was absotively in heaven when I walked in. A couple hours later I had found people that I knew and so I was sitting on the floor near the dealer's room then this massive group of people like started taking pictures of the whole Great big Naruto group and so they got so thick that our group relocated because people were shoving their butts in our faces*twitch*
Kim Norton

Security Staff '07-'16
Seizetsu
Obsessed Poster

Post by Seizetsu »

Walking form the garage to the convention doors in 05 was really great because it was a busy day in Boston and so everyone was just STARING at the Two Sailor Scouts and a Kurai the Bride walking along with smiles ear-to-ear. ^^!! We felt special.
Pathfinder

Post by Pathfinder »

[color:purple]When my friend and I were setting up our aritst's alley table I was ooggling all the fine cosplays when Lynx from Chrono Cross walked by, the first words out of my mouth were "Everyone else in the cosplay masquerade... just lost" and that was my first encounter with an extreme cosplayer. ^-^ Boy was I glad to discover that he was indeed in the advanced and not in the novice, he had me shaking in my chii suit. :D I didn't win anyways, but I still had a LOT of fun. I think one of the more amusing things was that while I was outside Dunkin Donuts random people were taking pictures of me and the irony that I was chii in her bakery shoppe uniform standing outside a pastry shop. Then again not all of the people taking pictures were con goers o_0 strangly enough. I've got lots of great pictures from 05, but the sad part is that in 06 all I had was my camera phone to take pictures. :/ [/color]
Joshua Dauphinais, Anime Boston Hall Cosplay Coordinator 2009-2012.

My Law cosplay brings all the girls to the yard.

dragon_girl
Getting the hang of this...

Post by dragon_girl »

aaawww that sucks that you had your camera phone...did you get any good pictures?
Pathfinder

Post by Pathfinder »

[quote=dragon_girl]aaawww that sucks that you had your camera phone...did you get any good pictures?[/quote]

A couple, if the costumes were dark enough against the bright lights of the hynes, I was really sad because some one cosplayed Dr. Muraki from DoD and all you could see was a white blur... much saddness there. but I did get a few excellents shots of some Hellsing cosplayers, a Li from Cardcaptor Sakura, a Willy Wonka and a semi good quality picture of Ban Midou from Get Backers (one of my favorite animes). So I had to deal with what I got with a better than nothing additude. but they were good shots, just small. I noticed a Luffy in the background of one of them actually, which my friend and I were happy about (up until a few weeks ago I hadn't heard of one piece) so it was a nice surprize. :D

I have to look at it on the bright side of things, at least I HAD a camera phone. I could have been at the con with nothing.
Last edited by Pathfinder on Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:40 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: sore wa himitsu desu
Joshua Dauphinais, Anime Boston Hall Cosplay Coordinator 2009-2012.

My Law cosplay brings all the girls to the yard.

Fedora

Post by Fedora »

I will never forget the all the strange questions I got from people in the mall. They keept asking me things like "Is the circus in town?" or "Did Halloween come early?" or the best one was from a nice old lady "So your all with the actors guild?"
I guess whereing a staff shirt make me a magnet for strange questions from non con people.

Well any ways...........

I just got a new Nokia N73 with Vodafone UK. It just about does every thing. Its my mobile TV, browses HTML web pages, recives my email, is my personal assistant and it takes better pitures then my digital camera.

Oh did I mention it makes phone calls too?

The new 3G mobiles do just about every thing you would want. I am just annoyed that no american cell company picked up the N73. Its a shame its a awsome phone.

I am looking forward to useing it at Anime EXPO London at the end of the month.
niea

Post by niea »

Umm...did you see the guy that was dressed like jesus? :-/

Also, their was a really good looking kadaj from FF7-A.C! Even though the cosplayer was a female she was the best i'd seen.Pretty hot!! :D
UsagiKurisu

Post by UsagiKurisu »

omigosh, my first AB con in 05 was priceless!my dad parked in a gas station for directions and i swear the cashier did a double take*i was in da car and he saw me*it was hilarious!also i got looks on the T.But i feel so good and special and happy when i cosplay!
niea

Post by niea »

Yeah, it's priceless to see the expressions on passer byers faces when cosplaying! :D

The first time i wore a costume i was a bit nervous, so i wore a big coat over it, but soon after getting on the green line and seeing all the different costumes, i felt at ease. :)
Con-Kon412

Post by Con-Kon412 »

i love taking the T. into boston i found a group last year and we just talked and people were staring at us