First experience with the jazz lounge

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2013.
TheNerdyFeminist
Veteran Poster

First experience with the jazz lounge

Post by TheNerdyFeminist »

I decided to check out the jazz lounge (21+ event) this year, or whatever it's called officially. I got into swing music earlier this year and thought it would be a nice change of pace.

First, I'd heard the lines were long in past years, so my friend and I went to the Hilton early. Line was practically non-existant bad in the beginning, and the only line I did see was the drink line which never got really bad. The music was nice, just recordings but I definitely liked hearing a jazz version of the Song of Storms, and it wasn't too loud so I was still able to talk to my friends without having to yell or strain to hear people. Drinks weren't too badly priced, yes I've had cheaper cocktails at other places but I've also had more expensive ones, so it wasn't terrible.

My main gripe was that when my friend and I got to the door at the beginning, we were told we needed tickets. We'd seen nothing about tickets anywhere, not in the book or Con Chowder, nothing. Maybe it was there and we just missed it, but I was irritated having to go back to the Sheraton in the rain, only to then find out they stopped requiring tickets.

Other tiny thing, even with the 21+ requirement, I encountered some guys who did not act that old. Not sure if they had fake ID's or they were just immature, but I was hoping the atmosphere wouldn't attract that crowd. They didn't hang around too long though, no big deal.

Anyway, I'll definitely do it again next year. I'll have taken swing dance lessons by then, and maybe I'll be staying in a hotel so I can get dressed up and not have to lug a bunch of stuff with me.
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Re: First experience with the jazz lounge

Post by Sakura-chan »

I was going to attend the Jazz lounge, but I was turned off when someone mentioned that I needed tickets. It was already past ten when I had decided to go, so I just decided to do something else.

Did we require tickets or not? Where did we get them? I think this should be more clearly stated next year.
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)
TheNerdyFeminist
Veteran Poster

Post by TheNerdyFeminist »

We did need them, and were sent to the third floor of the Sheraton, down a long hallway until we found a volunteer holding a roll of tickets. But later in the night we met some people who said they weren't asked for tickets, so I think they abandoned the system after a while. Shoulda made that more clear.
LadyFae
AB Alumni

Post by LadyFae »

Hey there,

Just wanted to clear up what happened there, as I ran the 21+ lounge (with A LOT of excellent help) and was the one who made the last minute judgement call to set up that system.

The decision to set the line up for the Hilton lounge in the Sheraton (thus requiring a ticket system to prove you'd been in line) was a last minute one due to the heavy rain and concerns about people having to line up in the street to get in. We did try to push the news out the moment it was decided on all convention screens and social media, and we are very sorry if the news did not get to you...I can understand why it might have been a bit annoying :(

The solution wasn't perfect by a long stretch! But our hope was that it was better than the alternatives of letting people stand outside in the rain all wet and miserable waiting or just turning them away at the door entirely with no recourse after they'd gotten all wet getting there!

Hope you at least enjoyed yourself once you got inside :)

Edit: It may have been abandoned later in the evening, once there were no longer any lines to get in, as its only function was to manage any lines indoors and out of the freezing rain :)
Rebecca Irvin Lee, lady of many hats

Anime Boston Executive Team (GR, Relations, PR, GR) 2002-2008,2013-2016
AB Formal Co-Chair 2006-2009
Ballroom Dance Instructor 2008-2012
21+ Lounge coordinator 2010-2014
NEAS Board Member 2002-2003, 2011-2016