What is an anime con?

This forum is dedicated to sharing stories, photos, and other discussion related to Anime Boston 2006.
asveron
Experienced Poster

What is an anime con?

Post by asveron »

Hi. Ive only been in the states for 1 year and i would know what exactly is a anime convention. do you have to dress up etc... and the rules~ also the different ways to register.
Last edited by asveron on Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:13 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: changed subject to something less generic
faerietithe
Determined Poster

What is an anime con?

Post by faerietithe »

[quote=asveron]Hi. Ive only been in the states for 1 year and i would know what exactly is a anime convention. do you have to dress up etc... and the rules~ also the different ways to register.[/quote]
If you look at the "About" section and the FAQ, it will tell all.
http://www.animeboston.com/about/ (there's a link to the FAQ on the side as well.)
jnik
Show-off

What is an anime con?

Post by jnik »

I'm dropping this into the AB2006 memories forum to encourage everyone to say what Anime Boston was for them (as opposed to cons in general). You're definitely not required to cosplay; here are our rules. And you can browse around the memories forums to get an idea of the sorts of things that go on.

Registration info's all on the registration page; you can sign up in advance and save some money (and time in line), or pay at the door.
xenocrisis0153
Needs a purpose in life

What is an anime con?

Post by xenocrisis0153 »

[quote=asveron]Hi. Ive only been in the states for 1 year and i would know what exactly is a anime convention. do you have to dress up etc... and the rules~ also the different ways to register.[/quote]
Jon already said stuff about dressing up and registering, but a quick little blurb about "what" a convention "is" would be something along these lines:

an anime convention is basically a gigantic, usually multi-day (though not necessarily) party. Anyone interested is invited, but everyone has to chip in a few bucks for supplies (most of your money goes to renting function space, paying for facility services, and other costs associated with screening fees and other programming needs). Industry representatives and guests (usually actors) come to meet with fans and discuss a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff. They also use the spotlight to announce new and upcoming projects to build hype and make fans happy.

Then there's the actual programming events. A full list of what we have to offer is on our website (http://www.animeboston.com/events/ if it wasn't said already), but typical events are screenings of anime series volumes/movies, fan-run panel discussions, cosplay competitions (usually in the form of a Masquerade) and game/trivia shows. Most conventions usually have a dealers' room which is esentially a flea market-style set-up, but with more anime-related products than any of our homes could hold. Truly paradise ^__^