any tips for someone going to ab alone for the first time?

If you need a room or a ride, this would be the place to make a new friend. Please note that this is NOT a place to discuss anime in general. In addition, this is NOT a relationship or solicitation forum, either.
alvythemonster
I'm new!

any tips for someone going to ab alone for the first time?

Post by alvythemonster »

i dont mean that this will be my first time going, just my first time without anyone which is causing me a lot of anxiety. so are there any tips for this or anything i should know?
PkmnAura
Getting the hang of this...

Re: any tips for someone going to ab alone for the first time?

Post by PkmnAura »

How old are you? If you are younger I'd limit the hours you are hanging around the con alone and know where you are going.

Also, if you're getting anxious about going about it alone go out and find people who cosplay something you might be cosplaying, or who are in a group of nice people. See if you can join them. If you are looking for an active place to seek help or find friends check out the Anime Boston Social Facebook group. Plenty of people on there who'd be willing to hang out even if it's just for a small time.
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

ehhh.... might be moot, but it helps if you make up a lil schedule for yourself (even if it's just "welp, I'm gonna spend time taking pics of awesome cosplayers! My phone doesn't need all that battery life anyway")

And every once in a while take a break in a quiet space that is the Manga Library! at least thats how I deal with the internal screaming of anxiety, maybe it'll work for you too :D
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
tim_p

Post by tim_p »

AnnaNeko wrote:And every once in a while take a break in a quiet space that is the Manga Library! at least thats how I deal with the internal screaming of anxiety, maybe it'll work for you too :D
This is great advice. The manga library is one of my favorite parts of AB. As an introverted person, it's a wonderful breather from the intense stimulus of the crowded con.
RoseyShimmer
I'm new!

Post by RoseyShimmer »

I'll be going to the con alone for the first time too. I plan to visit some panels I want to see and the dealers room. Those are things that are fine to do alone. I just don't know what I will do for trivia yet. :/
sdfx

Post by sdfx »

Definitely good to make a schedule as noted above! And remember to take breaks also stated above.

From my experience, it's good to remember that if you feel uncomfortable or want to leave a panel, it's fine to get up and leave. No one will scold you for doing so, even if it feels awkward to be that person to leave mid-way.

Take deep breaths as there are so many people around and you may feel super insignificant, but that's okay :)

Send me a message if you find yourself needing a buddy, I'm generally free!
7 years going strong!

Most recent: Violet Evergarden
SeaMonk
I'm new!

Post by SeaMonk »

I'm going to be going alone too so you aren't alone in the fact that you'll be going alone! cx

I'm also growing super anxious about it, but I think it'll all be okay. Last year, if I was feeling too anxious or overwhelmed, I made sure to cool off in one of the video show rooms that ran anime. It's really helpful to take breaks from the crowds of people every once in a while.

I would love to meet up with some people who are equally as anxious/excited so we can be excited together! <3 Feel free to shoot me a message if you think you'll be needing some company. Anyone else in a similar situation can too if they'd like. Oh, by the way I'm 17 and live in Boston.
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

If anxiety is an issue, and you feel the need to leave a panel, do yourself a favor and sit at the rear. That way, your departure will be a lot less disruptive to the audience and panelist and will draw minimal attention to yourself.

Also, try to plan your schedule ahead in a calm environment and, stick to your choices. You'll be better focused if you have a clear idea what you're doing and when.

Lastly, don't get so frazzled that you forget to eat and stay hydrated. Con is stressful enough without getting woozy. ;)
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Interact with the people next to you when you get into lines for things. :) Participate with an interactive panel. If you're cosplaying, fellowship in with cosplayers from the same series. The good thing about being on your own is that, you don't have to follow anyone's schedule but your own. You go wherever you want, and do as you please. If you don't want to eat alone, you could bring your food into the Karaoke Room and sit down at one of the tables with someone.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
deannavalv
I'm new!

Post by deannavalv »

I actually went alone last year and am going by myself again this year~ I'm from New Jersey so it's a 6 hour trip & I was suuuuper nervous the whole week leading up to the con. But when I got there and started walking around, I totally loosened up. While going to cons with friends is an amazing time, going alone is equally as fun! As some others noted, definitely make yourself a schedule/jot down some panels you might want to attend~ Also, you don't have to force yourself to talk to anybody! I only talked to 1-2 people last year because I'm reaaally bad with talking to people for the first time. But if somebody is talking about something that you like, don't be too afraid to jump in! Remember that pretty much every attendee has the same general interest(s) as you~