Secretly hoping to meet "that special someone"?

If you need a room or a ride, this would be the place to make a new friend. Please note that this is NOT a place to discuss anime in general. In addition, this is NOT a relationship or solicitation forum, either.
Ludicolo
Getting the hang of this...

Secretly hoping to meet "that special someone"?

Post by Ludicolo »

Have certain manga, like Dramacon or Comic Party, given you fantastic expectations for anime conventions? I mean, do you ever think, "If my life was a shoujo manga, I might totally meet my future boyfriend/girlfriend at Anime Boston!"

I've been to a couple conventions already, and I never really had that feeling. However, a friend of mine recently got back from her first con and was disappointed that she didn't automatically meet Mr. Right.

Friendly encounters, to me, are one of the best parts about cons; but I don't think going with the expectation of having a Disney romance is the best idea.
Chrissii
Determined Poster

Re: Secretly hoping to meet "that special someone"?

Post by Chrissii »

Ahahahaha, what a funny thread concept. XD

Well I'm now happily married, but I'm certain when I was younger, a small part of me always hoped to meet a potential boyfriend at a con. I mean, you automatically have things in common with everyone there, right? It's no different than hoping to meet someone anywhere else you like -- A bookstore, a favorite restaurant, etc. I think daydreams are pretty healthy to keep, but no one should let it get them down if things don't wind up happening as hoped. Fairy tale encounters are beyond rare, after all!

Now, if someone hopes to meet an ideal, perfect cosplayer of their favorite character... well, that could be more reasonable. ;3
Proudly attending Anime Boston since 2005!

2007: Haruhi Suzumiya (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
2008 & 2009: Dawn (Pokémon Diamond & Pearl)
2010: Byakuya Kuchiki hoodie (Bleach)
2011: Rukia Kuchiki (Bleach)
2012: Grell Sutcliff (Black Butler)
2013: Vice Captain Rukia Kuchiki (Bleach)
AmericanStandard

Post by AmericanStandard »

i always dreampt of something like that happening but it seems hard to approach a girl and not seem like a creep
bakasaru
Experienced Poster

Post by bakasaru »

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD sorry, it just killed me the "looking for the right one" you read chobits before you made this group, ha? lol, if you wanna meet people and get to know otaku's where you'll be able to meet boys who like anime like you, we are starting a meetups, so more and more people will come, and you'll have new friends who like anime and who knows, bf?? :D lol, no promises~ but its almost impossible to find your love when you meet him only once, you cant know if he is the one for you XDDDDD [sorry, chobits sayed it that i cant repit it properly lol]
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=300835219945778
helllllo people!! there are meet ups!! if you want to meet new friends, or know the people you talk here with, then go to this topic:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=300835219945778
its happening so don't hesitate to come!! :D
No Items Ever
Expert Poster

Post by No Items Ever »

I've always wanted that same idea too. But I don't think you can have a solid foundation in that span of time. At most just find friends there, add them on FB, and see where it goes.
liseyatthedisco
Veteran Poster

Post by liseyatthedisco »

Mine is more meeting an amazing guy who I find attractive and is cosplaying as someone I really love. Then we go from there. But I'm just happy to see the beforementioned. Because I'm way too chicken to ACTUALLY make a move anyway lol
windibro.tumblr.com

2009: Zoey (L4D)
2010: Heather (SH3)
2011: Draco (AVPM) Gaz (IZ) Ellis (L4D2)
2012: Viscount Druitt
2013: ZillyWave, Dog Tier Jade, Black Rat
2014:Yang Xiao Long, Genocider Syo, Misty Day
2015: Newt Geiszler, Tooru Mutsuki
2016: Daisya Barry
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

It would be cool to meet a potential girlfriend at AB, however, I never look. If love is there, it will come to me. I have never once had a girlfriend, I will say that straight out here and now, but I have never looked for one. I have been patient, I am not rushing things, and I would ALWAYS like to know that person far rather than just going "heeeeeeeeeey, yea, yo, you hawt, be mah babe?".....

As far as I am concerned though.... I like friends far more than romantic interests. I wouldn't mind expanding my "friends" list at AB.... I have actually met a few people.... one an AMV maker like myself, one a visual novel translator.... one who I uhhh..... funny to say, think likes me, who happens to be a guy >.> (Never talked to him at the con, my friend did, and this guy randomly wanted to add me as a friend... I never actually talked to him until AFTER the con. Never knew who he was, but he came out gay, so it gets me wondering, though, he is nice.)... and at one Trivia game we won with randoms in the audience, we traded off Emails (though sadly, I don't talk to any of them now. :()...

I have many female friends....heck, we are having a hotel issue this year, since well.... my friend and I know three girls who have switched in and out of our hotel with us each year because one couldn't make it....they all can this year. x_x.... The friend of mine has went out with one of them..... the other is Bi, but more towards girls, and the last one.... is from Maryland, and well, we first actually MET her at AB.... she came up for my friend, and now, they are trying to make something work out.... so, does that count any? :p

Anywho, to the hopefuls, good luck, and don't rush things. Know your "otaku" before you jump on the BF/GF train, though, I am sure we are all smart people here. :D The AB crowd comes in many shapes and forms, and I haven't met one I didn't like yet. :)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
SummerSnow
Veteran Poster

Post by SummerSnow »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:It would be cool to meet a potential girlfriend at AB, however, I never look. If love is there, it will come to me. I have never once had a girlfriend, I will say that straight out here and now, but I have never looked for one. I have been patient, I am not rushing things, and I would ALWAYS like to know that person far rather than just going "heeeeeeeeeey, yea, yo, you hawt, be mah babe?".....
Wow! I rarely hear that from guys. It's great to know there are a few guys out there who would rather want to know the girl first than just rush in.

As for me, I'm just hoping to meet new people. I don't have the time for dating when I am still in school, getting an education. I'm a very quiet person, and besides my best friend, I can rarely have a conversation with someone and just be myself (my family picks on me all the time whenever I talk about Kingdom Hearts). An event like this can give me a chance to talk to those who share the same interests and feel comfortable being myself = ) Who knows, I could possibly make some friends at these events
I AM ALWAYS ONLINE
AB 2012
~ Alice Liddell (Siren Costume)
~ Female Terra
AB 2014
100% confirmed:
~ CC - Friday
~ Elsa - Friday Evening
~ Fem Terra (KH) - Saturday
~ Nico Robin (One Piece) - Saturday Evening
~ Fem Makoto (Free!) - Thurs Night/ Sunday

My Cosplay Page: https://www.facebook.com/summersnowcosplay
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

SummerSnow wrote:
Yukito Kunisaki wrote:It would be cool to meet a potential girlfriend at AB, however, I never look. If love is there, it will come to me. I have never once had a girlfriend, I will say that straight out here and now, but I have never looked for one. I have been patient, I am not rushing things, and I would ALWAYS like to know that person far rather than just going "heeeeeeeeeey, yea, yo, you hawt, be mah babe?".....
Wow! I rarely hear that from guys. It's great to know there are a few guys out there who would rather want to know the girl first than just rush in.

As for me, I'm just hoping to meet new people. I don't have the time for dating when I am still in school, getting an education. I'm a very quiet person, and besides my best friend, I can rarely have a conversation with someone and just be myself (my family picks on me all the time whenever I talk about Kingdom Hearts). An event like this can give me a chance to talk to those who share the same interests and feel comfortable being myself = ) Who knows, I could possibly make some friends at these events
Yeah, I am one, and among my male friends, I hardly see any of them talking or thinking the way I do either, haha.

Shame to hear. Yeah, AB is a great place to be yourself. I listen to J-music all the time, my room is full of anime-related things, and well, I am in a family of pretty much sports-only buffs. None of them rip on me for my interest, but none of them understand it either. I talk to people online for that. Only problem you have here is though, you said you are quiet. Speak up, and that can change.

See, I myself, I try to get into any game/gameshow event I can. I as I said, make AMVs, so that gets me to meet more people into making those. I try to get into the gameshows, because the host sometimes pulls random people to be on teams, and alot of times, whether you win or lose, it can result in friendly chattings post-game, and one thing can lead to another..... and then I have friends who have met people at the dances. Another great way to speak up to people, is if you recognize a character they are cosplaying. Mind you, they COULD be on the way to meet people, or get to an event, but if not, you could probably say "Hey, so and so, that was a great anime!..." and see where that gets you. Lastly, the forums here. Depending on who you cosplay, there is usually a thread in the cosplay section of these forums.... if not, you can make one, that can get people in relation to your cosplay, to gather and meet up.

See, there are many ways to meet people. As long as you show interest in meeting them, and can atleast say "Hi!".... a conversation can start. :) Good luck!
lady chan
I'm new!

Post by lady chan »

I'm also for the look out for my special someone but when it comes to big events like these I believe It's best to make friends and see what the outcome is.
tsurugikage
I'm new!

Post by tsurugikage »

I am hoping to find that special someone at AB as well, to be honest, I hope my shyness doesn't stop me from talking to girls.
Riku Kaneyama
I'm new!

Post by Riku Kaneyama »

I am very odd, I am seme when it comes to girls but for guys I am Uke
momoney781
Veteran Poster

Post by momoney781 »

Ideally yes but my main goal is to have fun at AB. If something happens great if not no big deal.
Nothing is true, Everything is permitted

AB 11' Ezio Auditore
AB 12' Altair-Assassin's Creed
Kratos- God of War
SSJ Goku- Dragon Ball Z
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

Aren't we all.
DuctTapeGuy
Expert Poster

Post by DuctTapeGuy »

I never go into a con despratly searching for my one, but I have met people thanks to this amazing convention. Unfortunately none of them stuck and I'm going to this convention single, but I look forward to meeting more people and maybe finding a connection with someone. Good luck trying to find your one!
KBoston

Post by KBoston »

lady chan wrote:I'm also for the look out for my special someone but when it comes to big events like these I believe It's best to make friends and see what the outcome is.

I agree. It's good to make friends with people first and then see what happens.
shezgottasmilez

Post by shezgottasmilez »

Dramacon...
Just gonna casually leave that manga title there... ;)
cmj0310
Experienced Poster

Post by cmj0310 »

shezgottasmilez wrote:Dramacon...
i am so lost please explain.

it would be always nice to meet someone at a con.....but like people said before its better to be friends then see where it goes.
PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman »

I'd love to meet someone, but I'm skeptical -- there are crazies of both genders at any given con, so I'd be afraid I'd wake up with some girl holding a knife over my throat or something.

But in any case, fun first.
shezgottasmilez

Post by shezgottasmilez »

cmj0310 wrote:

it would be always nice to meet someone at a con.....but like people said before its better to be friends then see where it goes.

Oh I'm sorry about that, what I was refering was a manga, it's about a girl meeting a guy at anime convention and falling in love...

Just whole book, summary, plot, characters reminded me of this topic

Info about the book if curious, soo good!

http://www.amazon.com/Dramacon-Ultimate ... 141&sr=8-2
JonnyNinjaNinja
Expert Poster

Post by JonnyNinjaNinja »

I think everyone secretly hopes for that magical match. But like most others say, fun with others no what what gender give a no pressure kinda feeling where if they are outgoing with you, you can open up as well.

I will be mostly attending this event along and hope to meet some cool people. Loners, singles, does not matter what you may be are welcome to my company as I hope vice versa.

I have not searched the forums yet, but maybe we can establish a Singles Meetup and Greet? Maybe if you romantics might require it, we can do a random outings to a place to eat close by :D
Anime Boston Cosplay 2012:
Tuxedo Kamen (aka Tuxedo Mask) (Sailor Moon)
Brock (Pokemon)

Contacts:
www.facebook.com/sokheanjouk
www.facebook.com/jonnyninjaninja
www.youtube.com/jonnyninjaninja
xeresy
I'm new!

Post by xeresy »

Every year I go,
every year I expect the same
and this is sort of what gives me hope?
That maybe I'll find the right one lol
rawriamatiger

Post by rawriamatiger »

haha I won't lie, deep down I always wonder if/hope I'll meet some cute guy, bond over anime, and fall head over heels.

Too many Disney princess movies as a kid....and today....
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

^ Hey, Aladdin was good. :p....

I am not going, but best bet for a relationship with someone is possibly mingling at the Phoenix Ball. I am sure there will be people going it alone in hopes to meeting others. Probably the best way really, if you hope to develop a friendship beyond the manga.
cmj0310
Experienced Poster

Post by cmj0310 »

shezgottasmilez wrote:
cmj0310 wrote:

Oh I'm sorry about that, what I was refering was a manga, it's about a girl meeting a guy at anime convention and falling in love...

o ok thank you lol :)

i think its hard to meet someone at a con most of the time people are with friends....its hard to well hitt on a girl if they are with a bunch of friends like holy O.O also age comes into play some people look like they are older than 21 but are not and then some look younger but they are older lol....this is a trap for me because i am 28 lol i dont want to hitt on a 18 year old they would think i am creep lol o well

its a nice thought...

question for the girls here....if a guy is intersted how would you feel about them hitting on you what is the best way lol i think all guys would like some advice here :)
rawriamatiger

Post by rawriamatiger »

o ok thank you lol :)

i think its hard to meet someone at a con most of the time people are with friends....its hard to well hitt on a girl if they are with a bunch of friends like holy O.O also age comes into play some people look like they are older than 21 but are not and then some look younger but they are older lol....this is a trap for me because i am 28 lol i dont want to hitt on a 18 year old they would think i am creep lol o well

its a nice thought...

question for the girls here....if a guy is intersted how would you feel about them hitting on you what is the best way lol i think all guys would like some advice here :)
Well personally if a guy just comes up, introduces himself, and we just have a normal conversation that seems the best. That way you can feel the other person out and if there isn't a love connection you've at least made a friend! Also the pretense of just being friendly provides an out if the other person really isn't into ya
Caesar
Expert Poster

Post by Caesar »

anything is possible, but somethings are more so than others. I never walk into any situation with the goal of snagging a girlfriend. It just seems so vulgar, like stalking wild game or something.

In general I like to make new friends where and when I can, and if a few of them happen to be attractive single ladies, well who am I to turn down good fortune? Alea iacta est.
"Pale Death beats equally at the poor man's gate and at the palaces of kings." Horace
Nessa
Expert Poster

Post by Nessa »

Riku Kaneyama wrote:I am very odd, I am seme when it comes to girls but for guys I am Uke
Me too!
AB 2009: Yuki Cross (Vampire Knight)
AB 2010: Android 17 (Dragon Ball Z)
AB 2011: Sims
AB 2012: Penguin kigurumi
AB 2013/2014: Mikuru Asahina (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), Penguin kigurumi
AB 2015: Heather Mason (Silent Hill game), penguin kigu
Nessa
Expert Poster

Post by Nessa »

PatrickBateman wrote:I'd love to meet someone, but I'm skeptical -- there are crazies of both genders at any given con, so I'd be afraid I'd wake up with some girl holding a knife over my throat or something.

But in any case, fun first.
Bahahaha xD I could see that happening
AB 2009: Yuki Cross (Vampire Knight)
AB 2010: Android 17 (Dragon Ball Z)
AB 2011: Sims
AB 2012: Penguin kigurumi
AB 2013/2014: Mikuru Asahina (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), Penguin kigurumi
AB 2015: Heather Mason (Silent Hill game), penguin kigu
Claudie

Post by Claudie »

Hmmm... I guess it'd be really fun to meet someone special during a convention! When you first start hanging out with someone you like, everything's all "uguu I'm so happy~ ♡", so it'd be nice to be in that honeymoon stage while at a con. I love making new friends, that's the most fun part about cons, but it'd still be nice to end up with someone who had the same interests as me~
I think I've come close to this a couple of times. I get asked to the "Informal Dance" by someone, but I always have to turn them down since I never stay that late. Tis a pity.
shezgottasmilez wrote:
cmj0310 wrote:

LOL so glad I'm not the only one who thought of that manga upon reading this thread!
Anime Boston 2010 - Hatsune Miku
Anime Boston 2011 - Yurippe
Anime Boston 2012 - Hirasawa Yui/Sakura Kyouko/PIPA
master chief
Veteran Poster

Post by master chief »

im hoping for the same thing lol.
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Did I really just read uguu on here, LOL!

Anyway, never really thought of finding someone at AB since I always go alone.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Okay, are people saying uguu for fun, or are people here really Kanon fans like I hope?
Qu-ko
Veteran Poster

Post by Qu-ko »

Personally, I think the same rule should apply to congoers looking for potential dates that apply to people in a bar looking for romance. That is, worry about the friendship and bonding side of things before you leap into romance. At the very least, you lower the chances of turning someone off of you completely, and if it does evolve into something romantic, you stand a better chance of having it work out, or at least last a considerable length of time.
emeegee15
I'm new!

Post by emeegee15 »

Heh, I secretly fantasize about meeting that special someone when I'm walking down the street to my friend's house. xD So, yeah, the same thought for AB has definitely crossed my mind. But I'm not really expecting it to happen, and I'm looking forward to meeting lots of new otaku anyway. ;D My school is really small so there aren't very many of us, and even though I'm kind of shy I like being social and I really hope to make some new friends!
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

A secret that isn't going to be so much a secret after saying this but, in all honesty I was able to pull everything kinda last minute (given only about 3 weeks for my father to know which seems like last minute to him) because I'm going to the con hoping to pull my guts together and tell the girl I like that I like her. I met her at the last con I attended. But it'd be much appreciated if a few of you guys wished me luck and I wish luck to all of you dreamers looking for "that special someone" at the con! It really does happen. It's not just the animes and mangas.

Lux Douglas
Photosets & Cosplay Gatherings Asst. Coordinator 2024
Cosplay Singer Coordinator 2023
Idol Showcase Staff 2021, 2022
Maid Café Staff 2019, 2020

Twitch Twitter Instagram TikTok Tumblr
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Ludicolo wrote:I mean, do you ever think, "If my life was a shoujo manga, I might totally meet my future boyfriend/girlfriend at Anime Boston!"
Given my state of ossified decrepitude, not very likely! :P
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Mia Vi Daichi wrote:A secret that isn't going to be so much a secret after saying this but, in all honesty I was able to pull everything kinda last minute (given only about 3 weeks for my father to know which seems like last minute to him) because I'm going to the con hoping to pull my guts together and tell the girl I like that I like her. I met her at the last con I attended. But it'd be much appreciated if a few of you guys wished me luck and I wish luck to all of you dreamers looking for "that special someone" at the con! It really does happen. It's not just the animes and mangas.
Awe, good luck. :) Hope she feels the same way. Inform us here again after you pop the question. :)
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Mia Vi Daichi wrote:But it'd be much appreciated if a few of you guys wished me luck and I wish luck to all of you dreamers looking for "that special someone" at the con! It really does happen. It's not just the animes and mangas.
Hear, hear! My best of wishes! Do keep us informed.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

Oy~ ^///^; Thanks for the wishes "Yukito Kunisaki" and "Master of NERV." It means a ton! I'll make sure to pop back here Saturday night if I have the energy.

Lux Douglas

LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

Shot down.. I guess that you could say I still have hope cause she just doesn't date in general. But ehh...

Lux Douglas

bearforceone
I'm new!

Post by bearforceone »

The one time I went single and as Squall Leonhart, I met a beautiful Rinoa Heartilly and by the end of the weekend we had completely fallen for each other. It's been a year, and we're still quite happy together- so, yup, it's possible to find "that special someone," but you have to be reeeeeeal lucky.
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

Amen to that

Lux Douglas

sdfx

Post by sdfx »

So did anyone after these 3 days meet their special someone?!

Btw is the cosplay dating game a serious dating mechanism or is just a fun panel :P
7 years going strong!

Most recent: Violet Evergarden
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

No, but I met some awesome people nevertheless.
VanceVanhite

Post by VanceVanhite »

Eh, I suppose it would be nice to meet someone to date there, though I'm really looking to expand my circle of "anime friends" rather than find a girlfriend. It'd be pretty cool I guess, but chances are that they would live very far away, which would prove difficult for some people (not for me personally, but you never know). I know I've found quite a few great friends at AB this year.
Sadly, like I said, I don't think finding someone to date at an anime convention is a good idea (unless it's local-when I said anime con I meant like a large-scale on like AB or Ota). Too many unnecessary complications like distance, communications, schedule differences...I mean, if you can make it work, GO FOR IT!

(TL;DR I am running on ~5 hours of sleep for the whole weekend please let me sleep Anime Boston. I leave on a 14 hour bus ride, happy to get home, only to get on the forums. HHHNHNNGGHHH)
If I could rate AB 2012 on a scale from 1-10, it'd be "Pretty Awesome".
Qu-ko
Veteran Poster

Post by Qu-ko »

sdfx wrote:So did anyone after these 3 days meet their special someone?!

Btw is the cosplay dating game a serious dating mechanism or is just a fun panel :P
Nope, it's a game show like the other cosplay panels. Improv comedy, if you will.

Some cons do speed dating events, but I've heard that most of them usually get far more guys than girls in applications. And naturally, most of those guys are looking for girls and all. I dunno if it'd be feasible for AB, but someone could always apply to do that as a panel or something? Or just a panel on dating tips for socially awkward fandom hermits, if it helps. I know we've had some of the latter in the past, but we didn't have one this year.
NekoRyuzaki
Experienced Poster

Post by NekoRyuzaki »

I've also dreamed of meeting someone at Anime Boston but I am to shy to ask anyone my first year i barely spoke and just nodded when people asked to hug me hehe. But that was then now im much more social and I really enjoy the con just hanging out yes meeting someone would be so awesome and a dream come true but for now Im simply happy just hanging out with people!
AB10:L
AB11:L
AB12: Neko L
AB13: Hope or L

http://kaiizukiaob.deviantart.com/
Shizuma

Post by Shizuma »

I always hope I may meet someone at a con, but being alesbian it's kind of hard since I really can't tell if someone else is a lesbian/bi or not and don't want to offend or creep out any women i'm talking to by trying to ask them out, or for their number or something, though last year I had a woman ask me out and it turned into a 6 month relationship, so I suppose it could happen again sometime at a con.
AmericanStandard

Post by AmericanStandard »

i think it'll be easier if i was in cosplay. then we'd have a common interest and can build for there.

overall, it didnt happen :cry: