21+ Con goers

If you need a room or a ride, this would be the place to make a new friend. Please note that this is NOT a place to discuss anime in general. In addition, this is NOT a relationship or solicitation forum, either.
samurait00n
Getting the hang of this...

21+ Con goers

Post by samurait00n »

Hi there,

My name is Nick, and this will be my first Anime Boston. I just moved up here for a new job and am looking to meet all new people to hang out with at the convention.

Also, I am over 21 so if anyone wants to hit the bars Thurs/Fri/Sat nights, that would be cool too.

I don't know too much about Boston yet, and am hoping to meet some new people to make friends with!

Tadas

21+ Con goers

Post by Tadas »

Hi,

Similar situation here! Im 24 / m and new to the otaku culture. This will be my first con. Looking for people to hang out with at the con.
danim
AB Alumni

21+ Con goers

Post by danim »

Hey there. I'm Dani, 21 year old female and an Anime Boston attendee since 2004 :D Also, I know the area pretty well since I work in the area, but I'm still learning about new places to go.
Tadas

21+ Con goers

Post by Tadas »

We should try to plan something if people are interested. What days are people going? I was thinking fri or sat... or BOTH!
danim
AB Alumni

21+ Con goers

Post by danim »

I'll be in town on Thursday night so that's usually my out night since there is a lot of programming I go to at Anime Boston in the evening. But I can probably make something work if we want to plan something! I know The Pour House has been a popular place for the AB 21+ crowd to go to since it's across the street.
Tadas

21+ Con goers

Post by Tadas »

By programming you mean like the masquerade, cosplay chess, etc? I read that you have to register for the events in advance, but I assume that's if you want to participate and not spectate?
danim
AB Alumni

21+ Con goers

Post by danim »

To participate in those events you need to register in advance. In order to attend you don't have to, but they do a ticket system for the Masquerade on Saturday morning. I'm not sure if they are going to do ticketing for anything else this year. I don't usually attend the masquerade. It just isn't my thing.

By evening programing I mean 18+ programming like the Yaoi/Yuri dating game and the 18+ panels. They usually don't start until 9 or 10 pm.
Tadas

21+ Con goers

Post by Tadas »

ooo yea those sound fun too. Is there a schedule up yet? I feel like it would be impossible to see and do everything, even though I want to.
danim
AB Alumni

21+ Con goers

Post by danim »

No it isn't. Staff usually posts a tentative schedule 2-3 days prior to the convention but it changes a lot because sometimes they have to move things last minute. When you pick up your badge you will get a 3 day schedule in your bag :) HOWEVER, you still want to grab the daily Con Chowder for the most up to date schedule for the day (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) in case they made any last minute schedule adjustments. This does happen.

It is impossible to see and do everything unfortunately :( because they have a lot of things going on along side one another. Always a downside. But you pick and choose what you really want. I always have a blast!

Since this is going to be my 8th year, I just have an idea of where the standard events fall. For example: 18+ dating game is usually on Friday night around 10 pm (sometimes earlier or later). It doesn't mean that it will always be this way, but it has been the precedent.
samurait00n

21+ Con goers

Post by samurait00n »

Hi guys and girl! :]

Nice to see other people chatting in here. I'd definitely like to meet up with you all and just hang out for a bit, even if its just talking over lunch or something.

Dani, thanks also for the little bit of insight as to how AB runs :D

Do you all have aim or anything?
Tadas

21+ Con goers

Post by Tadas »

I'm not to keen on AIM/chats unless you catch me at the right time. The best way would be though facebook mail.

http://www.facebook.com/tadas.vaisvila

If it's a must I cooouuulld reinstall AIM
Sayoria
AB Staff

21+ Con goers

Post by Sayoria »

23/m going for all three days.

If there is a gameshow, I try to be there. Same with the AMV stuff. Got one video in this year, so I got to get there to see how it is taken.

I been going since 2005, and don't see an end to me going in sight.

Despite my age, I don't drink, smoke, or do any of that kinda stuff. I have enough fun without it.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
danim
AB Alumni

21+ Con goers

Post by danim »

@ samurait00n You are welcome! :D

I've been attending since 2004 and a young 14 years of age. I don't see an end in sight for myself either :content:

My AIM screen name is YLdani but catching me on there isn't likely unless I am expecting people to IM me. Since I only have it on my phone it can be a hassle.

http://www.facebook.com/danim925

I'm another one where this is your best method for contacting me but if you want to use AIM let me know and I can log onto my phone for some time :)

Oh and I don't smoke either or really drink to excess but I do enjoy going out for drinks with people but I can have fun with or without it.
Last edited by danim on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:22 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: I forgot to add the last part...
Tadas

21+ Con goers

Post by Tadas »

Hi Yukito,

Nice to meet you. I was eying the show and video programming too. Hopefully I can see most of those. I looked up some past AMV videos form past AB, and they look awesome.
Sayoria
AB Staff

21+ Con goers

Post by Sayoria »

Nice to meet you Tadas. :)

Yeah, the AMV showings is something that you have to see every year. I see other video events if I have the time, but the AMV contest, my whole group of friends takes part in, (except this year, I was the only one to make a video) so win lose or draw, we go to it.

Hopefully you enjoy it. If you are going to be there Thursday night, it might be cool to meet up with some people and do stuff that night. Alot of the con goers at the hotels spend Thursday night like it's own event too. My friends plan on hitting Unos for supper that night, going to get our badges, watch a few Gaki No Tsukai Batsu Games if I can get them working on the hotel TV, and the like.....hopefully more. Thursday night tends to fly too fast....but to be honest, Thursday night is also my "hype" night. Nothing feels better than knowing the con is tomorrow, walking on the Boston sidewalks with the breeze in the air, not too dark, not too light out.... I can feel it now. :)
danim
AB Alumni

21+ Con goers

Post by danim »

Yukito I completely agree with you! Thursday night is a perfect hype night :) And my friends have created it an event as well too. We almost always tend to run off to Shaws in the middle of the night too...because we can. Ah, Thursday night traditions...:D
Tadas

21+ Con goers

Post by Tadas »

Alright, I'm sold. Thursday night it is. I'll be working probably until 5-5.30 so I'll be able to get into Boston anywhere from probably 6.00-6.30 depending on traffic.

Ticket pickup sounds like a good idea on Thursday. How does it work? If you pick up your pass ahead of time, do you still need to wait in the 8-10am lines, or can you go in and out of the convention as you please?
danim
AB Alumni

21+ Con goers

Post by danim »

Thursday badge pickup is for Preregistered members only and is open from 4:00 pm until 10:00 pm.

Once you have you badge, you do not need to wait in Registration lines in the morning and you can enter and leave the convention as you please, once it is open of course.

I have to work until 5:30 as well. Luckily, I work down the street from the Convention Center and can walk there within a few minutes! :) I still stay in a hotel though because I live about an hour train ride away.
Sayoria
AB Staff

21+ Con goers

Post by Sayoria »

Yep....oh boy, the great outing....

Yeah, I usually hit Shaws in the morning for a hot chocolate or something at their dunkin donuts. I won't do that again this year though. It happened last two years....got a big stomach ache from it. Don't want that being a memory again. Lol. Might just go for a Strawberry milk or something. :)
Tadas

21+ Con goers

Post by Tadas »

Good thing I preregistered before I knew what I was doing... heh heh
danim
AB Alumni

21+ Con goers

Post by danim »

I usually get a dunkachino but I've switched to a "healthier lifestyle" recently and taken my body off a lot of things (I'm not exactly...a THIN girl HAHA) so I don't know if I'd be ok with one now since I was in physical pain last time I put something in my body I detoxed from >>; So...we'll see. Probably not a smart idea.

Strawberry milk is awesome :) Being from Rhode Island I'm a personal fan of coffee milk but I can't ever get it in Boston...

And Tadas...I just think preregistering and Thursday pickup makes things easier. Are you staying in a hotel or driving back and forth every day?
Tadas

21+ Con goers

Post by Tadas »

oh yes... driving back and forth... every day... the ultimate next level in sadomasochism...

If I knew for sure I would be there 8.00am to midnight EVERY day, I'd get a hotel, but I am not sure when what events are, family plans for Easter, etc, so I've opted for some heavy damage on my car... and not sleeping of course.
Sayoria
AB Staff

21+ Con goers

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=danim]I usually get a dunkachino but I've switched to a "healthier lifestyle" recently and taken my body off a lot of things (I'm not exactly...a THIN girl HAHA) so I don't know if I'd be ok with one now since I was in physical pain last time I put something in my body I detoxed from >>; So...we'll see. Probably not a smart idea.

Strawberry milk is awesome :) Being from Rhode Island I'm a personal fan of coffee milk but I can't ever get it in Boston...

And Tadas...I just think preregistering and Thursday pickup makes things easier. Are you staying in a hotel or driving back and forth every day?[/quote]

Can't find something coffee related in Boston? Whaaaaaaaaa O_o....

Yeah, I think pretty much everyone lately has been trying to go a bit healthier. I myself, have been doing a few "before bed" exercises for over a year now, while brushing my teeth and counting to 400 in Japanese. Call THAT multitasking. xD;;.... I also haven't had soda much recently and have been getting juice/kood aids and such. Still cannot get in the habit of eating much healthier though with my family. :S....

Also, yes, pre-regging is better in every way. You save money. You can pick up on Thursday. And you can enter the con when it opens instantly. No reason not to if you definitely plan to go.
AmandaMaie
Expert Poster

21+ Con goers

Post by AmandaMaie »

Don't mind me. Just jumping in to say hello here.
29/f been going to AB for 5 or 6 years now. Bringing my boyfriend who's 27 for the 3rd year now. My cosplay is pretty easy to spot and every year he goes as Cobra Commander.

Glad to meet you all! Just wanted to say, after all the years I have been doing this, I very much reccommend springing for the hotel and driving in. Especially if you're taking costumes. There's nothing worse then trying to lug all that stuff on the train except lugging it all back home plus your new swag on top of that.

Parking tip, go for the local parking garages that are less then a block away from the Hynes/Shearaton/Marriot. Walking the extra 3 minutes is worth the $80-$150 you'll save from using the hotels parking garages. Also, having a vehicle makes things a whole lot less complicated if you want to stick around for closing ceremonies or chess and you have a early check out time. Once in a while you may find a really nice hotel staff to hold your luggage, but don't always count on it.
danim
AB Alumni

21+ Con goers

Post by danim »

Hi! Nice to meet you as well! :)

Personally the train works well for me since I take the commuter rail every day for work anyway so I'm used to it. It's just as easy for me to hall my crap from Back Bay Station and not worth the drive for me. And on Sunday, I can store all of my crap in my office and if I need to take some home on Monday I can LOL! Also, I have family that is willing to pick me up from the train station when I come home so I save a lot.

If this wasn't my personal situation, I would definitely drive and park because it can be a huge pain to haul luggage and play with trains.
AmandaMaie
Expert Poster

21+ Con goers

Post by AmandaMaie »

Wow! I guess you really lucked out there.

See, I'm about 45 minutes from Boston, so I guess for peope who are a bit mroe local or deal with those kind of situations on a day to day basis have the ideal situation for AB.

I can't say I'm not a little jealous, but I don't know if I could deal with Boston chaos every day, LOL
danim
AB Alumni

21+ Con goers

Post by danim »

Boston chaos gets old pretty fast lol! I live about an hour train ride but it doesn't bother me since I'm so used to it for work >>;
Sayoria
AB Staff

21+ Con goers

Post by Sayoria »

About a 30 minute train ride for me. From there, a simple hop and skip to the subway.

I don't go in daily, but about once every 2-4 months. Pretty easy after a while though I will say we sometimes mess up getting off at Backbay, but we easily fix it.
Serrovin
Determined Poster

21+ Con goers

Post by Serrovin »

wow, wish i found this thread sooner, sounds like a lot of fun going on in here. 24/m been going to AB since 04 when a friend who inundated me to the world of anime and the otaku lifestyle dragged me along for a day. been going ever since, but the last few years i make it a habit of going in on Wednesday to beat the rush, even though im only an hour outside by train. though i must say, this year will be quite different for me, since its the first time im attending alone. :( but then again, with so many thousands of like minded people and with everything that goes on, im not really ever alone ;)
05'-Shadow Hunter(YuGiOh)
06'-Maes Hughes(FMA)
07'-Maes Hughes(FMA)
08'-Uryuu Ishida Quincy(Bleach)
09'-Xellos(Slayers)
10'-Uryuu Ishida school uniform(Bleach)
11'-Tobi/Obito/Akatsuki Orochimaru(Naruto)
12'-Kaji Ryoji(Evangelion)
Tadas

21+ Con goers

Post by Tadas »

Hi Serrovin,

I think some of us are in the same boat, I know I am :) I recently got into anime / manga and there is literally NO ONE around in my circle of friends, family, or acquaintances who is into it too, so I too will be attending the con alone. However, that's why I'm in this thread.

Speaking of which, (getting back to the topic) if all of you want to get together, it's sounding like Thursday is the ideal night for most people. I propose we pick up our con tickets, and meet up somewhere for dinner and/or drinks?
Tadas

21+ Con goers

Post by Tadas »

The programming schedule is up... my brain just melted.
Serrovin
Determined Poster

21+ Con goers

Post by Serrovin »

Oh knows! Tadas just became a zombie smoothie.... lol too bad there are soo many cool things all going on at the same time. wish I could time travel then I could see it all, like in groundhogs day only more epic. But then again most of the schedule will be changed the closer we get to the con due to unforseen issues :-/
05'-Shadow Hunter(YuGiOh)
06'-Maes Hughes(FMA)
07'-Maes Hughes(FMA)
08'-Uryuu Ishida Quincy(Bleach)
09'-Xellos(Slayers)
10'-Uryuu Ishida school uniform(Bleach)
11'-Tobi/Obito/Akatsuki Orochimaru(Naruto)
12'-Kaji Ryoji(Evangelion)
danim
AB Alumni

21+ Con goers

Post by danim »

Hi there and welcome to the thread!! :D

I like the programming schedule but there are some very specific things that conflict that I'm not too happy about >.< But all in all I'm happy with it! I wish I had a time turner from Harry Potter (insert super dork reference) so I could smoothly go back in time an hour or so LOL!

Even though you guys have to attend alone, I'm sure you'll still have tons of fun. And that's why we are here, to talk and make con friends! :)
Sayoria
AB Staff

21+ Con goers

Post by Sayoria »

Or, "Conventiends" Get it? Convention....Friends?

*Ba-da-tish!*

..... Okay, I am done.
Tadas

21+ Con goers

Post by Tadas »

HAHAHA yes! I would sell my soul for a time travel device...

deadlyfishes

21+ Con goers

Post by deadlyfishes »

Hey everyone! I'm usually a music guest/panelist at cons because I'm a solo musician/game music composer, but this year for the first time in a while I'm just going as an attendee.

22/m and I live in an apartment two blocks away from the convention center near my school (Berklee College of Music)

I'd like to hang out and meet some people since my friends from Virginia/DC won't be coming up this year.

Here's everything you need to know about me:
http://www.matthewpablo.com
| Matthew Pablo | Video game/Film Composer |

Panels: "Evolution of Video Game Music"
Otakon 2010
AUSA 2010
Anime Boston 2010
Animazement 2010
Katsucon 2011

Panel/Workshop: "Let's Make Video Game Music!"
Otakon 2011
Katsucon 2012
Anime Boston 2012
Official Website: http://www.matthewpablo.com
Tadas

21+ Con goers

Post by Tadas »

Holy crap, your music is awesome!
kassandraanne

21+ Con goers

Post by kassandraanne »

Hey I am totally interested in hang with some older people I'm 22/female from newton so I will be taking the train in and have been going to Animeboston since 2005..i think i can't remember anywho I'm going by myself this year and all the othertimes with my little brother so it was the most awesomess experiance ever.
friend me on fb
http://www.facebook.com/khorta
just message me your from the forum!
momoney781
Veteran Poster

21+ Con goers

Post by momoney781 »

26/m from quincy. Third convention but first one since 2006. I'll be with 4 other friends or so. But yeah I would love the chance to meet people.
Nothing is true, Everything is permitted

AB 11' Ezio Auditore
AB 12' Altair-Assassin's Creed
Kratos- God of War
SSJ Goku- Dragon Ball Z
Tadas

21+ Con goers

Post by Tadas »

Hi kassandraanne and momoney781

Welcome to the thread. This'll be my first AB so I'm pretty excited.
Sayoria
AB Staff

21+ Con goers

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=Tadas]Hi kassandraanne and momoney781

Welcome to the thread. This'll be my first AB so I'm pretty excited. [/quote]

Excited? Not good enough. Get absolutely estatic to get half of the glee.
Tadas

21+ Con goers

Post by Tadas »

HAHA yes!

Also, I went shopping for a wig today for my costume... waaay harder than I anticipated.
Sayoria
AB Staff

21+ Con goers

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=Tadas]HAHA yes!

Also, I went shopping for a wig today for my costume... waaay harder than I anticipated.[/quote]

Best doing that online weeks in advance. More options that way.
PaAE
Veteran Poster

21+ Con goers

Post by PaAE »

Heyy, it'd be nice to hang out with people that are actually 21 and older.

Not my first year but yeah, it's a lot of fun!
Message me if you wanna chill.
Get a group together or something~! :D
Sayoria
AB Staff

21+ Con goers

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=PaAE]Heyy, it'd be nice to hang out with people that are actually 21 and older.

Not my first year but yeah, it's a lot of fun!
Message me if you wanna chill.
Get a group together or something~! :D[/quote]

Oh my.....small world. I swear I talked to you on AIM before, because when I saw your name, I recognized it, but I don't remember why I talked to you on AIM....

Then when I looked at your MSN, I realized even more who you were. What a small, small world. >_>; Pleasure to see you again. Howhave you been? :) Tell Jaime I said hi when you see her? :P
stookified
I'm new!

21+ Con goers

Post by stookified »

hey i'm planning on going alone but want to go with others. I'm 25/male Korean american and love anime. None of my friends are into it and maybe we could meet up or whatever. It will be my very first con and am I little nervous as I don't know what to expect. message me back if you are interested.
momoney781
Veteran Poster

21+ Con goers

Post by momoney781 »

[quote=Tadas]Hi kassandraanne and momoney781

Welcome to the thread. This'll be my first AB so I'm pretty excited. [/quote]
Thank you I am pumped for this.
Nothing is true, Everything is permitted

AB 11' Ezio Auditore
AB 12' Altair-Assassin's Creed
Kratos- God of War
SSJ Goku- Dragon Ball Z
danim
AB Alumni

21+ Con goers

Post by danim »

Hi everyone that I didn't say hello to yet :)

I would love to plan a meetup sometime! And feel free to add me on facebook and we can chat there (my facebook is in my signature). Just let me know you are from here!
Tadas

21+ Con goers

Post by Tadas »

Hey, are any of you goign to the Fugakyu dinner event Thursday night?

showtopic.php?tid/12082/
Alizarin
I'm new!

21+ Con goers

Post by Alizarin »

Hi

I'm going pretty much alone. My group of friends have pretty much paired themselves up (bf/gfs). So it's pretty much me. I'm interested in meeting new people and just making new friends.

I'm nervous too. It is my first time going to Anime Boston but I am excited to see Stereopony.