fun "cheap" things to do in or around boston

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
kittyheartlove
Getting the hang of this...

Post by kittyheartlove »

me and my friends are staying Thur through Mon in Boston and sense ab ends Sunday around noonish we wanted to do something interesting and fun around Boston but we have no idea what is there besides ab which is awesome ;p any ideas would be greatly appreciated ^^ :o
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Post by Mosquito1945 »

Depends on what your interests are.

The freedom trail is free and historical and will take you all around town. It is made up of sites that were important during the Revolutionary War.

Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market is shopping and is great in the Spring- all the quirky vendors are outside as well as all sorts of free entertainment depending on the day.

There are many museums and collages to hit (I personally love the Museum of Science and the Museum of Fine Art, but that's not necessarily cheap.)

Duck Boats are fun and will take you on a tour of the city.

The Red Sox will be in town that weekend (not cheap and good luck getting tickets, but much fun is to be had near Fenway.)

Boston is a great city and there is really something for everyone. I recommend picking up a Not For Tourists guide to the City, they give quirky, off the beaten-path things to do.
Kate Harrison
Asst. Merchandising Manager
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

The Boston Public Garden is really nice and completely free. I like the ICA for modern art but it's a little out of the way. There's also chinatown, its not super big but its got a lot of bakeries, restuarants and some neat shops.
Hope McChesney
Assistant Director of Programming/ Formal Ball Co-Chair
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=Keito.chan]
There are many museums and collages to hit (I personally love the Museum of Science and the Museum of Fine Art, but that's not necessarily cheap.)
[/quote]

I do believe on some days if you show your school ID you can get into the MFA for free.

[quote=Hopallee] There's also chinatown, its not super big but its got a lot of bakeries, restuarants and some neat shops.[/quote]

I second Chinatown. Even if you've got no money, it's fun to just walk around and take in everything.
KitKat
Obsessed Poster

Post by KitKat »

[quote=jessica][quote=Keito.chan]
[/quote]

I do believe on some days if you show your school ID you can get into the MFA for free.

[quote=Hopallee] There's also chinatown, its not super big but its got a lot of bakeries, restuarants and some neat shops.[/quote]

I second Chinatown. Even if you've got no money, it's fun to just walk around and take in everything. [/quote]

The MFA sn't free for college students, except fr those who go to the museam school and harvard. There IS a student discount.

But really, there are LOTS of cheap things o do in and around Boston. It all depends on your interests, really.
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=KitKat]

The MFA sn't free for college students, except fr those who go to the museam school and harvard. There IS a student discount.
[/quote]

Sorry, should have clarified, I meant high school students. Most high schools give you IDs now.
Jennachan
Show-off

Post by Jennachan »

If your going to be over 21, may I recommend:

Sam Adams Brewery Tour

Free and awesome.

Also:
Harpoon brewery Tour

Both are easily excessable by T. Just a thought to break away from the norm.
~Jenna Leary~
Con Chair
VXxed
Veteran Poster

Post by VXxed »

You are made of lies. Or at least partly. I got in for free, I go to Umass Boston. College students get free entry after noon, is what I was told. Also, summer and summer nights are a GREAT time to go to Harvard Square. Once it's night-time, you can see a bunch of art exhibits there.
KitKat
Obsessed Poster

Post by KitKat »

[quote=VXxed]You are made of lies. Or at least partly. I got in for free, I go to Umass Boston. College students get free entry after noon, is what I was told. Also, summer and summer nights are a GREAT time to go to Harvard Square. Once it's night-time, you can see a bunch of art exhibits there.[/quote]

Hm, I may have to complain then. I've actually gone with that impression and been told that it isn't the case.

I also agree to Harvard square, every time I go in town I try to make it one of my stops. =)
There are always the best street performers in Harvard square, and if art isn't your thing The Garage Mall is just down the street from the red line T stop, all sorts of fun shops and places to eat, etc etc.
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=KitKat][quote=VXxed] Also, summer and summer nights are a GREAT time to go to Harvard Square. Once it's night-time, you can see a bunch of art exhibits there.[/quote]

I also agree to Harvard square, every time I go in town I try to make it one of my stops. =)
There are always the best street performers in Harvard square, and if art isn't your thing The Garage Mall is just down the street from the red line T stop, all sorts of fun shops and places to eat, etc etc.[/quote]

SECONDED.

Spring/summertime in Harvard sq. is amazing. Walking around aimlessly or sitting in the pit near the T stop is more fun than one would think.

Also, since the con is in May, may I suggest Berryline for all your frozen yogurt needs. It's not that far from the Harvard t stop. :)
DeathBruzer
Veteran Poster

Post by DeathBruzer »

I also got to UMass Boston and my friend goes to Wentworth. Me and got in for free with our school IDs.

Harvard Sq. is great, I spent most of my summer around both Harvard Sq. and the Boston Common.
Echan
Veteran Poster

Post by Echan »

Seconding Harvard Square (especially Berryline, it's so good! And if you like chocolate, go to Burdicks on Brattle St. And if you like books, there's an interesting used bookstore across the street from Berryline that seems to mostly have foreign books and philosophy) and the Freedom Trail. The Freedom Trail is more than just historic sites, it's a great walking tour of the city one of the best ways to spend a sunny day in Boston.

If it's a rainy day, in addition the the museums already mentioned there's an IMAX theater at the Aquarium. Both the Aquarium and the IMAX are fun sites (but not necessarily cheap)
VXxed
Veteran Poster

Post by VXxed »

[quote=DeathBruzer]I also got to UMass Boston and my friend goes to Wentworth. Me and got in for free with our school IDs.

Harvard Sq. is great, I spent most of my summer around both Harvard Sq. and the Boston Common. [/quote]

HOLY talent! SOMEONE AT UMB WHO LIKES ANIME! ADD ME TO FACEBOOK YOU MUST! Then I might have THREE friends at that school. What win! :P Me name be Ronen Yudzinsky, or myspace.com/vxxed if you roll like that

[quote=Echan]Seconding Harvard Square (especially Berryline, it's so good! And if you like chocolate, go to Burdicks on Brattle St. And if you like books, there's an interesting used bookstore across the street from Berryline that seems to mostly have foreign books and philosophy) and the Freedom Trail. The Freedom Trail is more than just historic sites, it's a great walking tour of the city one of the best ways to spend a sunny day in Boston.

If it's a rainy day, in addition the the museums already mentioned there's an IMAX theater at the Aquarium. Both the Aquarium and the IMAX are fun sites (but not necessarily cheap)[/quote]

I think you might actually be fifthing, if we're being technical >_>

[quote=KitKat]Hm, I may have to complain then. I've actually gone with that impression and been told that it isn't the case.

There are always the best street performers in Harvard square, and if art isn't your thing The Garage Mall is just down the street from the red line T stop, all sorts of fun shops and places to eat, etc etc.[/quote]

There's also Hootenannys. Mmmmm. So much fun stuff in that store...like neon green hair dye...actually, that place is GREAT for anyone who wants to color their hair for the con. They've got every color of the rainbow..including glow-in-the-darks.
Echan
Veteran Poster

Post by Echan »

has anyone said Garment District yet?
It's a consignment/vintage clothing store near Kendall Square. Downstairs they have piles of clothes for $1.50/lb, upstairs is the consignment clothing. It's cheap, and sometimes you can find awesome stuff there.
Quiwi

Post by Quiwi »

[quote=KitKat]blah blah blah stuff about museums[/quote]

If you have a cambridge library card or have a friend who does (i guess that would be the minuteman) you can even do MOS for free as well as some of these other museums. Possibly other libraries do this too (But I'm in cambridge and too lazy to check)
http://www.ci.cambridge.ma.us/cpl/programs/museum.html
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

You must go to Harvard Square.
For there, in the 'mall' known as The Garage, is Tokyo Kid. It's one of the few places in the Boston area one can purchase POCKY!
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

I'd vote for the Super 88 in Chinatown over Tokyo kid for Japanese snacks. It's cheaper often has more variety and closer to the convention.
Hope McChesney
Assistant Director of Programming/ Formal Ball Co-Chair
Ranakori
Veteran Poster

Post by Ranakori »

I think there are a few schools that can get into the MFA for free with an ID. I've never paid a cent with my Art Institute of Boston ID.

Harvard Square is definitely a lot of fun, lots of quirky stores, not just the Garage though that is where Tokyo Kid and Newbury Comics are. If you like to walk, going up and down Mass Ave in most directions in Cambridge will find lots of stores and restaurants. I recommend Black Ink and Joie de Vivre for cute, weird knick knacks.

Again, if you like to walk, the Harvard Campus is really pretty and free. I walk through there all the time.

The Boston Common is another nice place to walk and very accessible, just get off at Park Street or Boylston and look for the big green space.
VXxed
Veteran Poster

Post by VXxed »

Ooo, and if you go down to North Station and take a little walk (I can give directions if you want 'em) you can get to the USS Constitution and another warship that are museum things, and right next to them is something that some people call the Baby Pool, which is a great spot for people who like to Parkour and a great photo place
Jennachan
Show-off

Post by Jennachan »

[quote=Fetch]You must go to Harvard Square.
For there, in the 'mall' known as The Garage, is Tokyo Kid. It's one of the few places in the Boston area one can purchase POCKY![/quote]

Most grocery stores in Mass sell Pocky. Its usually just basic flavors (ie Strawberry and Chocolate) but Stop and Shop tends to carry a few other things like Yan-yan and such.
~Jenna Leary~
Con Chair
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=Fetch]You must go to Harvard Square.
For there, in the 'mall' known as The Garage, is Tokyo Kid. It's one of the few places in the Boston area one can purchase POCKY![/quote]

Yeah, for an inflated price. >_> (Last time I was there, anyway..)

I personally go to Cherry Mart (towards the end of Newbury St. near the Hynes T stop) for all my Japanese snack needs during con time.

The Super 88 in Chinatown is great too. (Albeit smelly, but it's Chinatown!)
KitKat
Obsessed Poster

Post by KitKat »

For Japanese snacks I always go to the Porter Exchange building. (Its right down the street from the porter red line stop)
They have an asian food market in there that has ALL sorts of goodies (plus I love the food at the restaurants there)
Vu
AB Staff

Post by Vu »

[quote=KitKat]They have an asian food market in there that has ALL sorts of goodies (plus I love the food at the restaurants there)[/quote]
Yes, the Kotobukiya Market. They have everything, from Japanese groceries to snacks.

As said, there are Japanese restaurants inside the Porter Square Exchange building. There's even a Japanese bakery with delicious treats!

These locations are favorite stops of Anime Boston attendees during the convention and/or all year round.
Vu Tran
North American Guest Liaison
Anime Boston 2022

Viva la manatee!

"Gonna have to go find my eyeballs, I rolled them too hard"
- Rebecca Lee, 2019
mango lassi
Experienced Poster

Post by mango lassi »

[quote=Hopallee]I'd vote for the Super 88 in Chinatown over Tokyo kid for Japanese snacks. It's cheaper often has more variety and closer to the convention.
[/quote]

Isn't Super88 in Allston? Or is there another one?

Also, I'd recommend the New England Aquarium :] I'm not sure what they have in terms of student discounts, but it's a great place to go (and very close to Quincy Market)
Vu
AB Staff

Post by Vu »

[quote=mango lassi]Isn't Super88 in Allston? Or is there another one?[/quote]
Yes, there is one in Allston. There is also another one in Chinatown near the Floating Hospital for Children/New England Medical Center. However, I have heard that they are closing down locations, so this may change.

Another place to wander and enjoy the endless number of shoppers and business people walking around is Downtown Crossing. Having worked in the Financial District, I would walk through Downtown Crossing everyday. A really nice sight. I recommend walking around once, just to immerse yourself with the crowd.
Vu Tran
North American Guest Liaison
Anime Boston 2022

Viva la manatee!

"Gonna have to go find my eyeballs, I rolled them too hard"
- Rebecca Lee, 2019
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

I don't know if you might be interested in this, but might I suggest the JFK Library & Museum? :)

Here's a link to the website:

http://www.jfklibrary.org/

It gives the rates and transportation, etc.

I want to go back there sometime myself.

By the way, if you do go to the Museum Of Science, be sure to check out the laser shows. I saw a Beatles one there once, and it was really neat! :thumbup:
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

[quote=jessica][quote=Fetch]You must go to Harvard Square.

Yeah, for an inflated price. >_> (Last time I was there, anyway..)

I personally go to Cherry Mart (towards the end of Newbury St. near the Hynes T stop) for all my Japanese snack needs during con time.

The Super 88 in Chinatown is great too. (Albeit smelly, but it's Chinatown!) [/quote]

I knew if I mentioned Tokyo Kid, some of you would mention the other places (which I had forgotten about.) ^_^

Oh, and for another inexpensive fun thing in Boston: the Children's Museum.
They have an actual house from Kyoto as an exhibit. Kyoto is one of Boston's sister cities.
Pyp

Post by Pyp »

Just wander around. Nothing beats that, really. It's my favorite thing to do downtown.
noclass

Post by noclass »

there are some MA colleges that have a deal with the MFA for free admission. Umass boston is one of them. They have a list on thier website. they also have free admission on wednesdays, just an fyi.

and also, thursday the institute of contemporary art is free after 5

also if there was enough people, theres an awesome karaoke place in alston off the green line that rents out rooms , its usually turns out to be 10-15 a person for an hour or two and they have japanese songs too
bright_red_atomsk

Post by bright_red_atomsk »

I second Sam Adams tour. and while you're at it, Boston has a lot of bars with a great selection of draft. Cheers!

And of course there's seafood. I really liked Atlantic Fish. For ice cream there's this place called JP Licks that is very yummy.
Echan
Veteran Poster

Post by Echan »

I _love_ good ice cream, so I feel I have to add to JP Licks a couple other places to get good home made ice cream in the Greater Boston Area:

1) Toscanini's. Located at the MIT end (towards the river) of Central Square, where Main St hits Mass Ave. Does amazing sorbet. Personal favorite is raspberry sorbet with hot fudge.

2) Herrell's. Located in Harvard Square near Mass Ave on Dunster Street. Great toppings, good location if you're going to the Garage.

I recommend these first because they make the ice cream right in the store, which is pretty cool.

also:

3) JP Licks. There's one right on Newbury St near the T station. They do lactose free ice cream and some soft serve, but won't make me a root beer frappe ):

4) Lizzy's. In Harvard Square on Church St. Haven't been to the store in a while, but when they do catered parties you can have them come in cow costumes to serve the ice cream.

5)Emack&Bolio's. On Newbury St near Glouster. Probably the closest to the Hynes convention center. Yummy waffle cones. Also the original hippie ice cream store.

What Not To Do: Don't go to Ben&Jerry's. Sure, they have good ice cream, but you can get the same ice cream anywhere else! Don't miss out on Boston's awesome ice cream for stuff you can buy at home.

And by May, it might be warm enough that even non-natives will want ice cream :D
mango lassi
Experienced Poster

Post by mango lassi »

If we're talking about food, there are a MILLION great places that serve bubble tea in Boston. Besides chinatown, there's Boston Tea Stop, Tealuxe, and I think one other tea place in Harvard Square that all serve it.

Tealuxe has mostly traditional teas, but Boston Tea stop is basically centered around bubble tea and has tons of different flavours/ways to have it (hot, cold, slushie, etc.). They also have board games you can play while you're there, like connect four and battleship :D
stray-x
Veteran Poster

Post by stray-x »

[quote=mango lassi]If we're talking about food, there are a MILLION great places that serve bubble tea in Boston. Besides chinatown, there's Boston Tea Stop, Tealuxe, and I think one other tea place in Harvard Square that all serve it.

Tealuxe has mostly traditional teas, but Boston Tea stop is basically centered around bubble tea and has tons of different flavours/ways to have it (hot, cold, slushie, etc.). They also have board games you can play while you're there, like connect four and battleship :D[/quote]
If you want real bubble tea, go to Chinatown! :) They have the best bubble tea!
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=mango lassi]If we're talking about food, there are a MILLION great places that serve bubble tea in Boston. Besides chinatown, there's Boston Tea Stop, Tealuxe, and I think one other tea place in Harvard Square that all serve it. [/quote]

I think you're thinking about that Vietnamese restaurant in the Garage. Pho... something. I'm not too sure right now. However, their bubble tea is really good.

There's a place on Newbury street that sells bubble tea, Trident Booksellers. I don't recommend it. It's more juicy/watery than tea and they only have like two flavors to choose from. They do have a lovely selection of books, though.
brie84
Determined Poster

Post by brie84 »

If you go down to Harvard Square you can go and make a Denny's run! Nothing like pancakes all day ^_^
My favorite place to get coconut shakes is Dong Khanh in Chinatown.
Cheesecake Factory in the Pru if you want to dish out a little more money for some great food, and well cheesecake!
On Mass. Ave they have some fast food places like Wendy's,McDonald's,Dunkin's and Boston Market and Au Bon Pain.
There is Thorton's Diner near the Pru, good price for home cookin, and Mike's City Diner a few blocks away.
And if you end up by Faneuil Hall I suggest making a little trip up to Mike's Pastries,do yourself a favor and order a cannoli and any other goodies your heart desires, it is so worth it!
VXxed
Veteran Poster

Post by VXxed »

Isn't there a tea store with free samples in the Prudential Mall?
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Post by Mosquito1945 »

Yes...well, sort of.
There is a Teavana- they sell all sorts of teas and really cute pots and accessories. Everytime I've been in, they have had free samples, but it is with the intention that people will buy bags of the tea leaves to brew at home. It isn't like a Starbucks for tea (which I was quite disappointed in myself.)

On the subject of bubble tea, don't bother with the store in Quincy Market- I've found it to be pretty flavorless when I've stopped there. I love Tea-stop in Harvard Square myself. I loves me some Red Bean Mochi Ice Cream!
Kate Harrison
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Post by MerchMaven »

[quote=Keito.chan]Yes...well, sort of.
There is a Teavana- they sell all sorts of teas and really cute pots and accessories. Everytime I've been in, they have had free samples, but it is with the intention that people will buy bags of the tea leaves to brew at home. It isn't like a Starbucks for tea (which I was quite disappointed in myself.)

On the subject of bubble tea, don't bother with the store in Quincy Market- I've found it to be pretty flavorless when I've stopped there. I love Tea-stop in Harvard Square myself. I loves me some Red Bean Mochi Ice Cream![/quote]

That tea shop has the most awesome collection of Mochi. I love the chocolate coconut ones, myself, along with the traditional green tea.
Kerry Walker
Anime Boston Merch Manager, 2006-2019
Anime Boston Security, 2004-2006
Ranakori
Veteran Poster

Post by Ranakori »

I mentioned BTS a little while. It's amazing.

Anyone else have one of their frequent buyer cards?
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Post by Mosquito1945 »

I didn't even know they had cards. What is it for? (Buy 9 teas, get 10th free or something?)

I'll definately have to check that out next time I'm in town... we all know whatever it is, it'll be filled quickly.
Kate Harrison
Ranakori
Veteran Poster

Post by Ranakori »

Every time you buy a drink, you get three points. 27 Points gets you a free drink. I think that's how it works anyway
noclass

Post by noclass »

super 88 also has lollicuop in it, which is really awesome slushes, with ot without boba, and really good bubble tea. if you're going that way anyway, noodle street is really good and so is wagamama in fanuel hall.

also also there is a pretty awesome hallway at porter square, the porter square exchange that has japanese burgers, awesome sushi, ramen and a few other stands...good stuff, good prices.
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=noclass]super 88 also has lollicuop in it, [/quote]

Which Super 88? o_O
Jennachan
Show-off

Post by Jennachan »

[quote=jessica][quote=noclass]super 88 also has lollicuop in it, [/quote]

Which Super 88? o_O[/quote]

The one in Alliston does.
~Jenna Leary~
Con Chair
Blue-eyed-demon

Post by Blue-eyed-demon »

In MIT there's an arcade with a DDR cabinet and a couple arcade games (Tekken, pinball, ect.), it's technically only for MIT students but nobody really ares if non-students go there, it also has a nice food court with a Japanese restaurant on the second floor.
Echan
Veteran Poster

Post by Echan »

[quote=Blue-eyed-demon]In MIT there's an arcade with a DDR cabinet and a couple arcade games (Tekken, pinball, ect.), it's technically only for MIT students but nobody really ares if non-students go there, it also has a nice food court with a Japanese restaurant on the second floor.[/quote]

Sad to say that that's no longer true ):
I believe what happened was there was an arcade company that either rented the space or we rented games from, and they went under, and therefore the games went away.
In any case, there is no game room at MIT at the moment.
Blue-eyed-demon

Post by Blue-eyed-demon »

my bad , I think Boston bowl still has DDR and it's bowling allay with A nice arcade.
I know for a fact that's still around XD
kittyheartlove

Post by kittyheartlove »

Thanks for all the great ideas guys ill get in touch with my friends and go over them all and see what they like, the only thing im worried about is well we will have a car so transportation wont be a problem just we have only been to boston once before and nvr left the hotel besides going to the con, so we have no idea how to get to stuff like the directions to most the places said but im sure we could figure it out, hopefully ^^; thanks again everyone :o
Echan
Veteran Poster

Post by Echan »

I think most of the places people mentioned are accessible by T. Given that Boston is difficult to drive in, and there isn't much parking, taking the T places isn't a bad way to go.

If you do want to drive, google maps is your friend :)
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Post by Mosquito1945 »

The T is your friend. Parking can be very expensive if it exists at all in town. I'm pretty sure there are "tourist" tickets available for the T i.e. day passes and such.

Especially true in the spring: Most of the fun of Boston is the little things that you find while walking down the street.

Boston is a very walkable city, so don't be afraid to leave your car at the hotel and start out from there, see where you end up! Some of the best times I've had in different cities have been when I have done this.

http://mbta.com/
Kate Harrison