Anime in Boston?

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Art Wolf
AB Alumni

Anime in Boston?

Post by Art Wolf »

So just moved here from Ireland and already seeing a good few anime events on the line up - New England Fan Experience this weekend followed by First Night Boston at New Years. A definite big step up from Ireland :)

Are there any groups that meet up regularly to watch shows in MA? Cinemas that regularly play anime movies? Do people use Meetup.com or whatever to get together?

-John
John Doyle
Senior Tech Ops
ShadowWolf
Committed Poster

Anime in Boston?

Post by ShadowWolf »

First off, welcome John. Enjoy your stay! There are certainly plenty of events that go on, so I hope you can participate in some of them.

There are groups that do gather in the Boston area. During the winter season, there will likely be few or none, but expect that to change when things warm up. People will often post in the Find a Friend Forum with information on gatherings, so stay posted!
WaruiKoohii
AB Alumni

Anime in Boston?

Post by WaruiKoohii »

Over the summer there are quite a few fan organized events (cosplay picnics, get-togethers, beach gatherings, etc).

Vericon, an anime convention at Harvard (in Cambridge...easy to get to from the Red Line), is held in January. The 2009 dates are 23-25. This is the next event.
Edward Demaso
Anime Boston 2012 Registration Outreach
Telos
Veteran Poster

Anime in Boston?

Post by Telos »

You can try any of the clubs listed here:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art17346.asp

I recommend the MIT Anime Club, which shows anime from 7 PM to midnight on Fridays.
DrachedesBunny
I'm new!

Anime in Boston?

Post by DrachedesBunny »

hey, well im new to anime boston but not to anime. we are hope fully comming with our anime club but how much would it cost for idk 25 kids to pre order out tickets?
KitKat
Obsessed Poster

Anime in Boston?

Post by KitKat »

Tomorrow theres an ice skating meetup in boston common. People use the cosplay.com forums to organize cosplay meetups. (if you dont cosplay we'd still love to have you, it's really about haging out with people you have things in common with!)
Art Wolf
AB Alumni

Anime in Boston?

Post by Art Wolf »

The MIT sounds perfect, sadly the Friday showings don't really work for me - will poke around some of these other clubs and we will see what happens!

John Doyle
Senior Tech Ops
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Anime in Boston?

Post by DocWatson »

There is (or at least was) also the Boston Japanimation Society, one of the oldest anime fan clubs in North America.
Telos
Veteran Poster

Anime in Boston?

Post by Telos »

[quote=DocWatson]There is (or at least was) also the Boston Japanimation Society, one of the oldest anime fan clubs in North America.[/quote]

Emphasis on "old".

I don't recommend BJS to anyone, unless spending your Saturday afternoon in a small, dark room watching crappy VHS tapes with old and sketchy guys is your idea of a good time. :/

I knock it only because I've heard the horror stories from other past BJS visitors, and have witnessed it for myself (due to morbid curiosity) on multiple occasions. Please take my word: it's really not worth it.

I can vouch for MIT (if you're fine with mainly the screenings and less with the interaction) and Harvard (much smaller but much more interaction). BU's anime club is decent from what I've heard as well.