Sheraton Anime boston rate

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
naruka
Experienced Poster

Post by naruka »

I was looking for a good hotel to book for Anime Boston 2009. I was looking at the midtown hotels rate of $209 a night compared to the sheraton's $300, but I also know that the sheraton has a discount for con attendees. What is the usual rate of the anime boston discount for the sheraton? Btw I plan to have 5 people in one room
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

[quote=naruka]I was looking for a good hotel to book for Anime Boston 2009. I was looking at the midtown hotels rate of $209 a night compared to the sheraton's $300, but I also know that the sheraton has a discount for con attendees. What is the usual rate of the anime boston discount for the sheraton? Btw I plan to have 5 people in one room[/quote]
I forgot the rates there last time but Internet Archive says it was $179 a night in 2007. Also, don't post that you're planning on violating fire code and defrauding a hotel on a public forum. ;)
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Keep watching the main Anime Boston webpage and the forums. When the convention rate at the Sheraton goes into effect, they'll let us know. Trying to get room before then is not exactly a good idea.
Darkend
Veteran Poster

Post by Darkend »

Than Again, last year, Marriot screwed a lto of peopel over with rates, telling people one thing on the phone, and another thing in person.

I was Told over the Phone, $100-something a night.
When we got there on the thursday, they said no one ever said that price, and said we could get our room for $259 a night..

So im very skeptical about pricing this time around.. Get it in writing, signed by a manager.. lol
Jennachan
Convention Chair

Post by Jennachan »

Information on hotel pricing will be forth coming when we get things worked out. Please be patient and check the hotel page for updates. Also, they tend to put these kinds of updates on the homepage.
~Jenna Leary~
Con Chair
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

[quote=Darkend]Than Again, last year, Marriot screwed a lto of peopel over with rates, telling people one thing on the phone, and another thing in person.

I was Told over the Phone, $100-something a night.
When we got there on the thursday, they said no one ever said that price, and said we could get our room for $259 a night..

So im very skeptical about pricing this time around.. Get it in writing, signed by a manager.. lol[/quote]

My friend resd a room at the Marriot last year about 2 months before the con. He called about a month before to check his res (he always does when he reses a room in advance) they told him he was only getting the con rate for the Saturday, not the Friday. He talked with them... cancelled that res and got a room at the Hilton instead.

For AB'09, he has me keeping an eye on the site so that as soon as the rooms for the Sheraton are announced, he can res one.

To get a good room for any con, one must watch site like cat watches mousehole: patiently. then POUNCE!
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

If you make your reservations online you have irrefutable (and most likely legally-binding) proof sent to you via email that you can bring with you if it helps.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
ShadowWolf
Committed Poster

Post by ShadowWolf »

That's actually what I did last year, Justin, as they told me one price, I pulled out my confirmation telling them another, and they were required to give me that price.
Darkend
Veteran Poster

Post by Darkend »

Yeah, i Plan on requesting a copy of the reservation, with the said rate, and a signature of someone of authority there.
Heartswyrd
Expert Poster

Post by Heartswyrd »

Keep a heads up on those xtra person fees. Thats what will kill you.

Sheraton was giving $190.00 a night $40.00 per extra person per night. Just booked my room last night. If anyone gets a different rate do tell.

Sheraton will email you a confirmation letter with your rate listed on it.
Deany Kong
Experienced Poster

Post by Deany Kong »

Let's not forget, AB falls on Memorial Day Weekend this year. Memorial Day means HIGH RATES at most hotels. Right now, I saw that the Sheraton and the Hilton were around $300 to $400 a night for a single room with two double beds.
2008: Rob Lucci | 2009: Rob Lucci | 2010: Walter
2011: Gary Oak | 2012: Gary Oak | 2013: Tony Stark
2014: Space Dandy | 2015: Space Dandy | 2016: Crocodile
2017: Grown-up who feels to old to cosplay. | 2018: Grown-up who feels to old to cosplay.
Pirate
AB Staff

Post by Pirate »

I know next to nothing about it, but there exists a hostel that I find people aren't really aware of, a few blocks past the Hilton. It's soooo not ideal for con, what with the rare sleep and walking (please be careful around the area at night!) but if you need to come to con and can't save money over the next 6 months, you could look into it a bit more?
Rachel Jarnes
AB Security NCO 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
AB Security '12, '13, '14
Reg Manager '09, '10, '11
Volunteer '06, '07, '08
🏅Officially 11 years on staff!!🏅
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

No.
If you don't have enough to get room by yourself, you find people who are willing to let you room with them in exchange for you paying part of the bill.

Why else do the hotel rooms at cons have pillows and blankets on the beds, the floor, and the bathtub? ^_^
Darkvyse88
Determined Poster

Post by Darkvyse88 »

So, if there is a discount on the Sheraton regarding Anime Boston 09, will that discount be affected by the Memorial Day rates? I just want to know if that would happen when and if the discount shows up.
Cosplay Plans for Anime Boston 2019

Friday: Robert EO Speedwagon (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

Saturday Day: Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain)
Saturday Afternoon: Robert EO Speedwagon (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Saturday Evening: Matt McKenna

Sunday: White Blood Cell (Cells at Work)
Kagomechan
AB Staff

Post by Kagomechan »

We have rates locked in, regardless of the holiday weekend:

$190 for single/double + 12.45% taxes = $213.66 per night
$230 for 3 people + 12.45% taxes = $258.64 per night
$270 for 4 people + 12.45% taxes = $303.62 per night

The maximum number of people in a King room is 3. The maximum number of people in a double bed room is 4. If you have more than 4 people in your room, you run the risk of being kicked out of the hotel.

Please keep in mind that all attendees staying at the hotel will be held to the code of conduct, same as in 2007. If you haven't seen the code of conduct before, you can read it here:

http://2007.animeboston.com/location/sheraton-coc.php

If you have further questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Thank you!
Mary Kaplan
Staff Resource Manager for Anime Boston 2013-2024
Director of Operations for Anime Boston 2006-2012
Secretary 2004-2005
Information Desk Manager 2003-2005
BlackSunRising
AB Alumni

Post by BlackSunRising »

[quote=mpirate_chick]I know next to nothing about it, but there exists a hostel that I find people aren't really aware of, a few blocks past the Hilton. It's soooo not ideal for con, what with the rare sleep and walking (please be careful around the area at night!) but if you need to come to con and can't save money over the next 6 months, you could look into it a bit more? [/quote]

A hostel in the middle of Boston seems kind of sketchy, IMO. Just saying...
Pirate
AB Staff

Post by Pirate »

The "next to nothing" I know about them is that at July Fourth, 2 or 3 rather awesome seeming young women bought a ton of food for a cook out they were having for their guests. It's right by the music school. Sketchy? Yes. Too sketchy? I'm not so sure.
Rachel Jarnes
AB Security NCO 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
AB Security '12, '13, '14
Reg Manager '09, '10, '11
Volunteer '06, '07, '08
🏅Officially 11 years on staff!!🏅
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

[quote=BlackSunRising][quote=mpirate_chick]I know next to nothing about it, but there exists a hostel that I find people aren't really aware of, a few blocks past the Hilton. It's soooo not ideal for con, what with the rare sleep and walking (please be careful around the area at night!) but if you need to come to con and can't save money over the next 6 months, you could look into it a bit more? [/quote]

A hostel in the middle of Boston seems kind of sketchy, IMO. Just saying...[/quote]

There are two hostels in Boston, one is located right across from the Hynes, the other is at Fenway Park but is only open during the summer (after AB). Here's a web site they can check out.

http://www.bostonhostel.org