Porter Square

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
LunaLily
Veteran Poster

Porter Square

Post by LunaLily »

[color:purple]I just visited this place about a month ago with some friends. This is Porter Square in Boston, right on the Red Line.

What's here, you ask? The Porter Exchange. Well, it's a pretty quaint place for a Japanese market (yes, it sells pocky, including LARGE pocky) :3

There's also an area filled with a couple of small restaurants all serving traditional Japanese cuisine that's pretty affordable. And when I mean small, I mean that some can only sit between 12-20 people. Two of them are towards the side, and I noticed a "garage style door" that they close up with. But as small as these places are, they have some pretty awesome food. :D The place where my friends and I went to was Tampopo, and it probably can seat up to 12 people.

Also, there's a little "gift shop" where I couldn't resist buying a kandama. XD

Porter square isn't too far from the Hynes. You would have to take the T from the Hynes to Park Street, and hop on the Red Line to the Porter Square stop.

If you exit the T stop going left, you walk for 2 minutes and stop at this small brick building on your left. It should have a sign saying The Porter Exchange (I'm not sure, though). That's where everything is that I told you about.

There should be more stuff in the square itself, but my friends and I never really got a chance to look around. Here's a link I found with some listings of what's in the area.

Porter Square

I hope this helps! :D[/color]
DaveJ1
AB Staff

Porter Square

Post by DaveJ1 »

[quote=LunaLily][color:purple]This is Porter Square in Boston, right on the Red Line.
[/quote]
Porter Square is right near me at work but it's in Cambridge so if you're looking it up, you'll need to check Cambridge directories rather than Boston. Of course if you're from outside the area, Boston and Cambridge sorta blur together at the edges. :)
DaveJ Lyons

-I thought you were complaining about the bouzouki player!
-Oh, heaven forbid: I am one who delights in all manifestations of the Terpsichorean muse!
2023, 2022 Registration Chief of Staff
2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 Registration
2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 Treasury
2008, 2007 TechOps
2006 Plain ole Visitor
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Porter Square

Post by basharoftheages »

[quote=DaveJ1]Of course if you're from outside the area, Boston and Cambridge sorta blur together at the edges. :) [/quote]
Heh, i've lived on the Northshore all my life and it all still blurs together for me and everyone I know. :laugh:

Porter's nice. I've been going there for years. Sapporo is a great little ramen shop - as good as any of the ones I went to in Japan.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
LunaLily
Veteran Poster

Porter Square

Post by LunaLily »

[quote=DaveJ1][quote=LunaLily][color:purple]This is Porter Square in Boston, right on the Red Line.
[/quote]
Porter Square is right near me at work but it's in Cambridge so if you're looking it up, you'll need to check Cambridge directories rather than Boston. Of course if you're from outside the area, Boston and Cambridge sorta blur together at the edges. :) [/quote]

[color:purple]Yeah, I never really consider Cambridge it's own place. I pretty much consider it "Boston." XP

I can't wait to go back. I'm seriously in the mood for some hellagood tempura. :D[/color]
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Porter Square

Post by Eilonnwy »

My favorite little Japanese restaurant is there,, it's called "Ittyo" I love their ricebowls.
LunaLily
Veteran Poster

Porter Square

Post by LunaLily »

[color:purple]Yeah, I remember seeing that place. I want to try it sometime.

My friend and I ended up going on Sunday night, and MAN did I have some awesome gyoza. :D[/color]