May 27th Traffic

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
jenniferdemars
Getting the hang of this...

May 27th Traffic

Post by jenniferdemars »

Could anyone give me an idea of how dumb it might be to attempt to drive into Boston this Friday morning, the 27th, from NH, to make it to the Sheraton autograph sign-up room by 8 am? It's about a 65 mile trip. Is the traffic into Boston on the Friday before Memorial Day typically bad? I know we'll hit traffic from people going to work. The Google map says it will take about an hour and 20 minutes to get there, but I am thinking I should expect to leave NH by 5 am to make it to Boston, park, and get into the Sheraton before 8 am. I just don't have any idea how bad the driving will be. I rarely drive to Boston.
Another option would be to take the Downeaster train, which arrives at North Station at 7:50. If we take an Uber to the Sheraton Boston, we might arrive around 8:20, which may be too late to get an autograph pass.
Going home Friday night is scaring me, too. Traffic going north might be very bad, but I don't know how bad. Should we wait til later in the evening to head home, or will it be just as bad?
I get anxiety at the thought of driving in Boston, but I don't want my daughter to miss the autograph thing.
Thank you for any advice!!
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Re: May 27th Traffic

Post by waynoinsano »

Did you put your planned departure time? Google maps factors in expected traffic. Plus people with be lining up at 7 to get first chance. Realistically you should be in the building before rush hour but that would put you on the road at like 5:30 am. As for end of day its usual city traffic avoid between 4:00pm and 6:30pm. Also watch out for start and when Red Sox/ Celtics games end traffic will be bad around those times too.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

If you haven't preregged so you can get your badge on Thursday, you'll have a problem as Registration doesn't open until 8:30 am on Friday, and you could spend quite awhile in that line.
jenniferdemars

Post by jenniferdemars »

Thank you both for the tips. I didn’t know that about Google maps. Thankfully I did preregister. I didn’t realize line might start at 7!! Wow, it sounds really hard to get a pass. But we will try. Thanks again!
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

I am biased as I am a Waze Map editor but I will always suggest using Waze over Google Maps. XD

If you like, you can try using http://waze.com/livemap as Waze uses historic traffic data. Of course, I don't think you can use it for travel over 24 hours from now but you can at least get an idea...

Last but not least, remember that this weekend is a holiday weekend so there may be some more traffic than usual, even of Friday...
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
aznman08
AB Staff

Post by aznman08 »

If you are driving in, I would STRONGLY recommend you wait until the evening to head back home. It is Memorial Day weekend so traffic gonna be bad throughout the afternoon, it is a Friday after all.
Last edited by aznman08 on Wed May 25, 2022 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Bautista
AB 2022: General Tech l 2019: Senior Tech l 2014-18: Junior Tech Staff l 2007-2013: AB volunteer l 2006:attendee
PAX East Enforcer:2014-22
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

long holiday weekend, start of tourists season, graduations, a bunch of people headin "south" to the Cape as the Summer Season opens, and also friday morning traffic overall.....

It sounds like you may have a bad time in traffic in any direction

Do you know if this particular guest may be doing paid autographs later? as a backup plan, just in case
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

jenniferdemars wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:53 pm Thank you both for the tips. I didn’t know that about Google maps. Thankfully I did preregister. I didn’t realize line might start at 7!! Wow, it sounds really hard to get a pass. But we will try. Thanks again!
Important clarification: Pre-registration is definitely helpful and allows you to pick up your badges on Thursday, but you still do need to have your badge to obtain autograph passes. If you're not planning to pick up your badge until Friday, you will need to do that before obtaining the autograph passes, and registration does not open until 8AM on Friday for pre-registered members.

Disregard.
Last edited by basharoftheages on Wed May 25, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
leadfootnh
AB Staff

Post by leadfootnh »

As someone who regularly makes the trek into Boston, to get to the Hynes by 8, leave by 5-5:30 the absolute latest. That way you have time to get across town and parked by 7:30.
Jason Hopkins
2020-2022 Photo Studio Assistant
2023: At Con Registration staff
2024: At Con Registration staff

Takumi Fujiwara is my spirit animal...
Beebo

Post by Beebo »

basharoftheages wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:09 am
jenniferdemars wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:53 pm Thank you both for the tips. I didn’t know that about Google maps. Thankfully I did preregister. I didn’t realize line might start at 7!! Wow, it sounds really hard to get a pass. But we will try. Thanks again!
Important clarification: Pre-registration is definitely helpful and allows you to pick up your badges on Thursday, but you still do need to have your badge to obtain autograph passes. If you're not planning to pick up your badge until Friday, you will need to do that before obtaining the autograph passes, and registration does not open until 8AM on Friday for pre-registered members.
The autograph policy page says preregistrated guests can get in line for autograph passes without their badge if they have the printed QR code and a photo ID. Has that changed? Just want to know which is true because I was planning to get my badge after the autograph passes!
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

Beebo wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:12 pm
basharoftheages wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:09 am
The autograph policy page says preregistrated guests can get in line for autograph passes without their badge if they have the printed QR code and a photo ID. Has that changed? Just want to know which is true because I was planning to get my badge after the autograph passes!
You are correct. Disregard. Apologies for the confusion.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)