Tipping

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Magenta_Fox
Veteran Poster

Tipping

Post by Magenta_Fox »

Hey, I know there was a big stress on tipping last year, but when I saw a doorman hail a cab and get tipped this morning, it reminded be of a lot of rudeness I saw last year.

I don't know if maybe people think that only rich hotel patrons are supposed to tip or something. I heard a lot of excuses.

He seriously wants money because he held my stuff for me?
Yes, yes he did. He's not only "holding on to your stuff." They tagged it so it could be found quickly and accurately for you. They carried into the room and carried it back to you. They held on to your luggage while you walked around the con or visted Boston so that you wouldn't have to lug it around. If they weren't there, you'd be outta luck. Do their job for one day, especially during the last or first day of a con, and then see how you feel when no one tips you.

Cons cost me a lot of money. I don't have money to spare on tips.
We're not talking $10 per bag here. If you have three bags, give him $2-$3 at LEAST if you're THAT poor. If you seriously have absolutely NO money, then you're very ill-prepared. Never travel without emergency money or money for services. You can end up in a lot of trouble.

The hotel screwed up my reservation and the woman at check in was rude. I'm not giving this hotel any more of my money.

and I also heard

The room cost enough, they've taken enough from me.

You're not tipping the hotel, you're tipping the people in baggage claim. They get paid under minimum wage (I believe) and therefore work for tips. They're not getting rich off your hotel fees. And if some staff person was rude to you, or if you had to wait hours for your room or room service didn't bring your towels... that is not their fault. Complain to a manager, don't refuse to tip.

The Anime Boston website has info on who to tip when and for how much. Maybe some people need to work these into their budget before they go. I know you can't force anyone to tip, but these people DO work hard.
Keithel
AB Alumni

Tipping

Post by Keithel »

Woo! *clap clap clap* Thank you Magenta_Fox!
Keith Kyzivat
Assistant Director of Programming #2/Weekend Events Manager
Anime Boston 2014
ADProg 2011-2014, Co-Chair 2009-2010, VC 2007-2008,
Secretary+Merch Mgr 2006, Merch Mgr 2004-2005, Vol+Merch Mgr 2003
Magenta_Fox
Veteran Poster

Tipping

Post by Magenta_Fox »

[quote=Keithel]Woo! *clap clap clap* Thank you Magenta_Fox![/quote]

*bows* Thank you, thank you. I had meant to post about this but forgot until today. Ugh, these aren't examples, I actually heard people say these things. One girl got vulgar and swore at the guy when he said "Please, I work for tip."
Keithel
AB Alumni

Tipping

Post by Keithel »

[quote=Magenta_Fox]One girl got vulgar and swore at the guy when he said "Please, I work for tip."[/quote]
That's horrible!
Some people need to learn how society operates.
Keith Kyzivat
Anime Boston 2014
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

Tipping

Post by LadyHawke »

"Tipping is NOT a city in China..."

(That being said by someone who did her time as an employee of the restaurant industry!)

I am appalled as well.
Wow. People apparently need a lesson in Common Courtesy.

I gave the hotel-van guy who drove me to the airport Monday morning a $7 tip on a $13 fare because I didn't feel like having him make change for a $20. ;)
He was, like, unbelieveably happy. It was cute...
~~ Jeni
2012 Guest Relations Division - Green Room Staff

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get Permission" -- RADM Grace Murray Hopper - U.S. Navy
Magenta_Fox
Veteran Poster

Tipping

Post by Magenta_Fox »

[quote=ladyhawke78]"Tipping is NOT a city in China..."

(That being said by someone who did her time as an employee of the restaurant industry!)
[/quote]

I did my time at Dunkin Donuts. When people don't tip I die a little inside.
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Tipping

Post by Miyu chan »

I can relate. I work as a camp counselor, and the parents are expected to give their children's counselors some knd of tip at the end of the summer. After all, I did give up my entire summer to take 20 girls on numerous trips.

Now I can understand if a family is going through tough times, has several children in the program, and can't afford to give the money. But I have found, after 3 years, that the people who don't tip are routinely the wealthier families wth the spoiled brats who made my hair go prematurely gray.
Amy Caluori
Formal Dance Coordinator 2010-2018
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Formal Dance Staff 2007-2009
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Tipping

Post by basharoftheages »

[quote=Miyu chan]I can relate. I work as a camp counselor, and the parents are expected to give their children's counselors some knd of tip at the end of the summer. After all, I did give up my entire summer to take 20 girls on numerous trips.[/quote]

Maybe this custom isn't that widely known in all circles. I had certainly never heard of it before. It could be ignorance brough about by people from the rural parts of the country never actually going to camp themselves (it is a rather Urban / Suburrban phenominon) and therefore having no real idea. Couple that with a inherent snobish personality and there you go...
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Tipping

Post by Miyu chan »

It's possible. It's still irritating.
Amy Caluori
Formal Dance Coordinator 2010-2018
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Formal Dance Staff 2007-2009
Keithel
AB Alumni

Tipping

Post by Keithel »

and we do post a tipping guide for good tipping practices on the website.

Maybe this needs to be posted more prominently than it was for 2006.
Keith Kyzivat
Anime Boston 2014
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Tipping

[quote=Keithel]and we do post a tipping guide for good tipping practices on the website.

Maybe this needs to be posted more prominently than it was for 2006.[/quote]

Not that there's much more you can do, but a lot of people that go to the con seem to never bother going to the website more than once or twice a year. I know a lot of schedualing mishaps (for big events) occured this year because of the misprint of friday's schedual dispite the fact that they were correctly posted on the site before hand - yet noone seemed to know when things were.
Jerran
AB Staff

Tipping

Post by Jerran »

This year, I had fully intended to tip the doorman, the bellhop, and the guy who put my bags in the bag closet Sunday when I had to check out of my room before the con ended, but they disappeared before I could manage it. (I had actually forgotten to tip the bellhop when he brought my bags to my room, but he was out the door before I even had a chance to dig out my wallet even if I had remembered anyway.) But at least I remembered to tip housekeeping and the valet. I like to show my appreciation to all these people who work hard to ensure my stay is comfortable.

One thing about tipping you need to be aware of if you go to other countries, though: not all countries have a tipping custom (Japan, for example, is one country where you do not tip -- not in restaraunts, taxis, hotels, etc). Also, if you do decide to tip, make darn sure you tip in that country's currency. My niece works in a hotel in Japan, and some Americans staying there gave her a tip in US dollars, which are completely useless to her over there.

-- J --
Alec Cardin

Artists Alley Staff 2012-2020, 2022-2023
Volunteer 2004-2011
Attendee 2003

~~~~

"Only two things are infinite --
the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not so sure about the universe."

Albert Einstein
xenocrisis0153
Needs a purpose in life

Tipping

Post by xenocrisis0153 »

[quote=BasharOfTheAges]I know a lot of schedualing mishaps (for big events) occured this year because of the misprint of friday's schedual dispite the fact that they were correctly posted on the site before hand - yet noone seemed to know when things were.[/quote]
well, on the site we also say something to the effect that "schedule is not set in stone, it WILL change between now and when the con starts." Given that, checking the website for schedule information may be kinda pointless. Although, we offer boatloads of other kinds of useful info online that we wish people would take advantage of. Registration guidelines are amoung the most important. Security stuff too.
xenocrisis0153
Needs a purpose in life

Tipping

Post by xenocrisis0153 »

[quote=Jerran]This year, I had fully intended to tip the doorman, the bellhop, and the guy who put my bags in the bag closet Sunday when I had to check out of my room before the con ended, but they disappeared before I could manage it. (I had actually forgotten to tip the bellhop when he brought my bags to my room, but he was out the door before I even had a chance to dig out my wallet even if I had remembered anyway.) But at least I remembered to tip housekeeping and the valet. I like to show my appreciation to all these people who work hard to ensure my stay is comfortable.[/quote]
I forgot to tip the housekeepers last year. I remembered on the way home, but I felt so awful. This year I especially made certain that I left a little something, plus some extra to make up for last year. Of course, the staff doesn't know that... as far as they know, they got one great tipper and one cheap-ass bastard... none the wiser that it averages out to the same person ;)
KitKat
Obsessed Poster

Tipping

Post by KitKat »

I went with a friend and her mom this year (w00t! a bed to MYSELF! That never happens...) and when I got out my wallet for the bell hop they looked at me like I was crazy. It was wierd, cause they live in the same town as me. I guess I'm just more well travled than them?
Corey
Determined Poster

Tipping

Post by Corey »

[quote=Magenta_Fox][quote=ladyhawke78]"Tipping is NOT a city in China..."

[/quote]

I did my time at Dunkin Donuts. When people don't tip I die a little inside.[/quote]

I work at McDonald's - all the crap and none of the tips. Though a guy DID throw a dime at my head as he swore at me and drove out of line today...

THAT'S why I tip WAY more than is usually appropriate.
tallymatt65
Determined Poster

Tipping

Post by tallymatt65 »

In some places Tipping the workers is NOT allowed (a few Dunkin' Donuts, AMC theaters, also some resteronts) so that could explain some people don't tip.
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Tipping

Post by dokool »

[quote=tallymatt65]In some places Tipping the workers is NOT allowed (a few Dunkin' Donuts, AMC theaters, also some resteronts) so that could explain some people don't tip. [/quote]

Yeah, but we're talking about the context of a hotel, so your point is irrelevant. Incidentally every Dunkin Donuts I've ever been to has a tip jar.

Fun fact: In Japan tipping is frowned upon; by doing so you imply that your server isn't doing a good job and will need the extra cash as he's likely to get fired soon. You know you're a stranger in a strange land when you have to physically stop your dad before he tips the bellman.
bravejaf
Getting the hang of this...

Tipping

Post by bravejaf »

Yeah I think I tipped my taxi driver like $5-7 just even though the fare was only like $10. Was just so glad to finally get where I needed to go, was walking around lost for like an hour.

Same goes for my shuttle driver to the airport, gave him a $5 tip because he was really friendly and got me there quickly.

I'm generally a good tipper. Did not tip much at the hotel, minus housekeeping, sice I did not really untilize any services that would generally require tipping (i.e bellman, valet, luggage handling). Working in hospitality industry for the last couple years makes me appreciate the work they have to do.
ElectricMayhemMD

Tipping

Post by ElectricMayhemMD »

[quote=Miyu chan]But I have found, after 3 years, that the people who don't tip are routinely the wealthier families wth the spoiled brats who made my hair go prematurely gray.[/quote]

You know, I worked at a summer camp as well and I generally found the same to be true. The kids who I absolutely adored? Their parents tipped well and were amazingly down to earth. The ones who were complete horrors? Their parents weren't really all that far behind. None of them tipped and a few of them I personally would have paid to leave.

As for tipping in the hotel I wouldn't be surprised if tipping well would reflect well on Anime boston itself. Word of mouth is always good and its nice to have people working at a hotel looking forward to working with you.
jnik
Show-off

Tipping

Post by jnik »

[quote=ElectricMayhemMD]Word of mouth is always good and its nice to have people working at a hotel looking forward to working with you.[/quote]
The more polite and respectful attendees can be to hotel staff and other guests, the better. It does reflect on the con, and much thanks to those who keep that in mind :)
Toph
I'm new!

Tipping

Post by Toph »

Also, if you tip at Cold Stone Creamery, they sing for you. :D

... Just sayin'.
fan_girl6
Expert Poster

Tipping

Post by fan_girl6 »

[quote=Toph]Also, if you tip at Cold Stone Creamery, they sing for you.[/quote]

[color:purple]I love doing that! Especially cause I have a friend who works there. It bugs him so much...

I have noticed myself tipping more frequently after reading this forum, so it does help. When people say they kinda rely on tips at Dunkin or other places it makes me greatful that I'm paid a nice hourly rate, and not through tips or commision.
[/color]
KitKat
Obsessed Poster

Tipping

Post by KitKat »

Just a note about the whole Dunkin' Donuts thing?
They get paid above minumum wage. I've worked there before. They aren't working for tips, its just a big plus to the job. The reason tips are so important at restaurants and in hotels is because a lot of people there get paid below minimum wage. I once knew someone who only got $4 and hour, and if a single customer didn't tip they had a bad day.
Magenta_Fox
Veteran Poster

Tipping

Post by Magenta_Fox »

A big plus? Honey I worked a Dunkie and you START at minimum wage there and work your way to raises. On a busy day I took home $10 in tips after 8 hours. Please don't make it seem like people there deserve tips any less. I know that wasn't your intention but any job that takes tips usually semi-needs it.
xenocrisis0153
Needs a purpose in life

Tipping

Post by xenocrisis0153 »

[quote=KitKat]They get paid above minumum wage. I've worked there before.[/quote]
AND
[quote=Magenta_Fox]Honey I worked a Dunkie and you START at minimum wage there and work your way to raises.[/quote]
two different people who I believe are being truthful, but yet are both saying the complete opposite. I'm sure pay varies by location, experience, availability, skills, etc etc etc
KitKat
Obsessed Poster

Tipping

Post by KitKat »

Aie! I wasn't trying to start a fight or anything. o_o
But I've worked there before, all I was saying was that it wasn't comparable to being paid far below minimum wage, thats all.
Pointing out that when MOST of a Hotel's guests dont tip AT ALL its seriously different than not giving up your spare change at Dunkie's.
I didn't mean to imply "Don't tip at Dunkies, they dont need it", cause they obviously may get paid at minimum wage or a above, but not far above and the tips have a point to them.
fan_girl6
Expert Poster

Tipping

Post by fan_girl6 »

[color:purple]::cowars in corner regretting she brought Dunkin back into this::

Ok, how about this. I tip the baristas at Starbucks because they're funny, and see me so much that they can guess what I'm gonna order (tall no-whip raspberry mocha frapucchino). Already knowing what the customer wants deserves a tip.
[/color]
mastah-man

Tipping

Post by mastah-man »

When you go out in the city...it is common for people in this area to tip 20%, unless the service was atrocuois. Keep in mind the min wage for people in the foodservice/tips are nice industry is around $3/hr. Remember that next time you are out at a restaraunt
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Tipping

Post by MerchMaven »

[quote=fan_girl6][color:purple]::cowars in corner regretting she brought Dunkin back into this::

Ok, how about this. I tip the baristas at Starbucks because they're funny, and see me so much that they can guess what I'm gonna order (tall no-whip raspberry mocha frapucchino). Already knowing what the customer wants deserves a tip.
[/color][/quote]

Eeeeek! I'm terrified of this. I do not want to be a regular anywhere. But I do tip well, so if service persons do recognize me, well, at least I'm, "That crazy chick who left me five dollars on a ten dollar tab," as opposed to, "@**$) No-tip again."

My mom worked in a steak house when she and my dad were first married. I am reminded of this often. I tip very well. 8)

Kerry Walker
Anime Boston Merch Manager, 2006-2019
Anime Boston Security, 2004-2006
PatrickD
AB Staff

Tipping

Post by PatrickD »

People should read this article and will understand why tipping housekeeping staff is so important. It explains a day in the life of housekeeping.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
xenocrisis0153
Needs a purpose in life

Tipping

Post by xenocrisis0153 »

[quote=PatrickD]People should read this article and will understand why tipping housekeeping staff is so important. It explains a day in the life of housekeeping.[/quote]
very interesting... of course the biggest surprise isn't how difficult the job is or that people don't tip, it's that even the managers know that it's the hardest job in the industry and yet they still oppose pay increases.

oh well, no room for politics here, just a lesson learned: show your appreciation for the hard work done for you behind-the-scenes
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Tipping

You have to wonder if all that call for support isn't just what the mannagers that oppose pay increases want. It de-legitimizes their worker's calls for reform.
hikura
Veteran Poster

Tipping

Post by hikura »

When i go out i always tip unless treated badly.When it comes to hotel rooms i always pick up after myself to make their job a little easier.Plus i defintely leave a tip(i usually leave what most people would call a generous tip..i leave 25 or 30 dollars sometimes more..perfect example gf and i left 50 for them before on several occasions).I usually am not in the need of the bellhops(i always take care of my own luggage..plus i feel bad for the people who have to deal with alot of jerks on a daily basis).
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Tipping

Post by Phantom 1 »

Somebody tell me if this is considered rude in Boston:

During AB 05, me and my cousin went to a T.G.I. Fridays nearby (natives probably know where the place is). The waitress who served us was very polite and, in the words of my cousin, "hotter than a pound of crack" (don't ask me why he used that analogy, he's been dropped on his head a few times). I jokingly suggest that he leaves his phone number on back of the credit card receipt (for clarity's sake, when you pay with credit card, they give you two receipts, you keep one and you leave one with the tip amount). Well, not only did he leave his phone number, but he tipped her 20 dollars. Is that considered rude or something?
jnik
Show-off

Tipping

Post by jnik »

[quote=Phantom 1]Well, not only did he leave his phone number, but he tipped her 20 dollars. Is that considered rude or something?[/quote]
No, but it's a highly transparent and not terribly original pickup attempt.

(I'm of the opinion that a 30% tip is being nice to the waitstaff...a 50% tip and a phone number is something else entirely. 50% tip without the number...also being nice.)
Faceman
AB Executive

Tipping

Post by Faceman »

Also, if you end up taking a Taxi in town, make sure you tip them. You want to tip at least $2 for the ride. As a rule of thumb, I try to tip around $1 for every $5 of fare. Taxi drivers may be crazy when you're not in them, but when you're a passenger they'll get you to where you need to be as fast as they can.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
cewong2

Tipping

Post by cewong2 »

[quote=Keithel]and we do post a tipping guide for good tipping practices on the website.

Maybe this needs to be posted more prominently than it was for 2006.[/quote]

Sorry, My Bad, I just saw this,

The Tipping Guide is actually up, and has been up since last year, the guidlines are still pretty much the same.

http://www.animeboston.com/location/tipping.shtml

Have fun.

Elliott
AB Museum Curator '22
AB Information Department Manager '06-'12
AB Tech Staff '04-'05
AB Volunteer '03
BAAF Staff '03
PawShapedHeart
Tom Selleck Fan Club Member

Tipping

Post by PawShapedHeart »

[color:red]Wait... so we can leave out stuff at the hotel desk before and after check-in/check-out?[/color]
Badge Name: PawShapedHeart

Cosplays For AB'14:
  • casual Natasha Romanov (Avengers)
  • Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshitsuji)
ShadowWolf
Committed Poster

Tipping

Post by ShadowWolf »

Yes, you are allowed to store you items at the desk, if needed.
PawShapedHeart

Tipping

Post by PawShapedHeart »

[color:red]Perfect. I was so worried about having to carry everything around Friday and Sunday.[/color]

Cosplays For AB'14:
Fetch
Show-off

Tipping

Post by Fetch »

Just be sure to tip. ESPECIALLY if you have a lot of luggage. If your luggage takes more than one cart to move, you better tip big.

Me, I never pack more than I can carry myself. For a very simple reason: No car, and Commuter rail station is a mile from my house.

I have learned to pack light out of the neccesity of being able to walk without stopping every 5 minutes to rest my arms. ^_^
PawShapedHeart

Tipping

Post by PawShapedHeart »

[color:red]I only pack 1 small duffle bag.[/color]

Cosplays For AB'14:
Lamron
AB Staff

Tipping

Post by Lamron »

From some one who has done some traveling and has friends and family in the service industry. Here is a general tipping guide;

Doorperson - opening door/ hail taxi $1 or $2
Bellperson - Uaually $1 per bag, more if heavy.
When you give them the bags and when
they bring them to you room.
Concierge - Depends on what he has done for you
Directions/recomendations - $2 - $3
Tickets or something big - usually 25%
Cleaning staff - $5 - $10 for up to 3 nights
then $2 - $3 per night. So 5 nights $10 - $15
Wait staff - Min 15% Average seems to be 20% now
(note; they get taxed on the tips weather
they make them or not, so if you don't
tip they lose money)

Did I forget anyone else that is related to the con?
Ray DeArville

Event photo staff 2022 - 2024

Event photo staff 2020 - 2021

Past ABs 05 - 10, 13 - 19
cewong2

Tipping

Post by cewong2 »

Regarding minimum wage, there are 2 sets of minumum wages, 1 is without tipping and one is expecting tips. So the minumum wage for a person in a job that expects tips is lower than a job which does not expect tips. So accurately people are not being paid below minimum wage, they are getting minimum wage, just getting paid at a rate that the government expects their tips to be part of their wage.

[quote=Redneck Otaku][color:red]Wait... so we can leave out stuff at the hotel desk before and after check-in/check-out?[/color][/quote]

You can leave things with the hotel, but some hotels, have a seperate bell stand for items, just check witht he front desk. They will let you know.

[quote=Lamron]From some one who has done some traveling and has friends and family in the service industry. Here is a general tipping guide;

Doorperson - opening door/ hail taxi $1 or $2
Bellperson - Uaually $1 per bag, more if heavy.
When you give them the bags and when
they bring them to you room.
Concierge - Depends on what he has done for you
Directions/recomendations - $2 - $3
Tickets or something big - usually 25%
Cleaning staff - $5 - $10 for up to 3 nights
then $2 - $3 per night. So 5 nights $10 - $15
Wait staff - Min 15% Average seems to be 20% now
(note; they get taxed on the tips weather
they make them or not, so if you don't
tip they lose money)

Did I forget anyone else that is related to the con?[/quote]