Re: Restaurants in the area?

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

There is plenty of places to eat within a 15 minute walk go to google maps and look around the area. Most are on Hunnington, Mass ave, and Boylston itself. You find everything from Wendy''s and BK to high end sit down. Also the Star Market under the skybridge has a pay per pound hot bar with breakfast, lunch and dinner items depending on time of day.
Last edited by waynoinsano on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Re: Resturants in the area?

Post by Aurabolt »

I propose we make this a Master Thread for all things eating around the Hynes ^_^

As noted in separate threads the UNOs on Boylston St. and the Au Bon Pain the the Prudential Center across from the Hynes Entrance both closed a few months back.

I heard another restaurant or two could move into where the UNOs was since that's what it's been zoned for so we'll see.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

add the Boston Market on Mass ave to listed of closed places. Would eat the each year for a nice non pizza or burger meal.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Fire + Ice, down near Park Plaza, is an interesting place.
All you can eat, but you choose from the ingredients they have and they cook them for you on a huge circular grill. They have rice and tortillas available to go with the food.

Great place to go on pre-reg pickup Thursday, as it shouldn't be too crowded.
leadfootnh
AB Staff

Post by leadfootnh »

A new option has cropped up in the area. Clover Food Lab has opened a new location at 565 Boylston St. It’s on the high end of cheap, but the food is REALLY good. It’s one of my go to’s for breakfast. Some good vegetarian and vegan options.

https://www.cloverfoodlab.com/locations ... =cloverbby
Jason Hopkins
2020-2022 Photo Studio Assistant
2023: At Con Registration staff
2024: At Con Registration staff

Takumi Fujiwara is my spirit animal...
Tom AIAC
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Tom AIAC »

I'm a HUGE Dropkick Murphys fan, so eating at their bar/ restaurant is always a must for my friends and I when we come to Anime Boston. It's found on Boylston Street across the street from the convention center.

https://www.mcgreevysboston.com/
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Tom AIAC wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:42 pm I'm a HUGE Dropkick Murphys fan, so eating at their bar/ restaurant is always a must for my friends and I when we come to Anime Boston. It's found on Boylston Street across the street from the convention center.

The Pour House is also a good place. Also right across Bolyston St (in fact, right next door to McGreevy's)

https://www.pourhouseboston.com/
Lamron
AB Staff

Post by Lamron »

Fetch wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:35 pm
Tom AIAC wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:42 pm I'm a HUGE Dropkick Murphys fan, so eating at their bar/ restaurant is always a must for my friends and I when we come to Anime Boston. It's found on Boylston Street across the street from the convention center.

The Pour House is also a good place. Also right across Bolyston St (in fact, right next door to McGreevy's)

https://www.pourhouseboston.com/
I always recommend either The Poor House and McGreevy's. The prices are reasonable and the food is really good. They do however, get crowded. there is another place, not to far at 14 Westland Ave, Boston, MA 02115. It's called Ichiban ---> https://www.ichibanboston.net/
Ray DeArville

Event photo staff 2022 - 2024

Event photo staff 2020 - 2021

Past ABs 05 - 10, 13 - 19
leadfootnh
AB Staff

Post by leadfootnh »

Up Belvedere St and across Mass ave is a great little spot called Love Art Sushi. Went there for lunch yesterday and it’s really good.

For breakfast, Flour Bakery is up the street. A bit further up Boylston is Clover Food Lab.

If you want to travel a touch further by the Back Bay T stop is Friendly Toast. They have some unique and delicious stuff. Breakfast lo mein? Heck yes!
Jason Hopkins

Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Fetch wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:30 pm Fire + Ice, down near Park Plaza, is an interesting place.
All you can eat, but you choose from the ingredients they have and they cook them for you on a huge circular grill. They have rice and tortillas available to go with the food.

Great place to go on pre-reg pickup Thursday, as it shouldn't be too crowded.
I went recently. They have remodeled since I was last there. They seem to have gotten rid of the rice and the tortillas. Still plenty of yummy food to eat.
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

Fetch wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:30 pm Fire + Ice, down near Park Plaza, is an interesting place.
All you can eat, but you choose from the ingredients they have and they cook them for you on a huge circular grill.
It's called Mongolian barbecue.
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

Aurabolt wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:43 pm I propose we make this a Master Thread for all things eating around the Hynes ^_^

As noted in separate threads the UNOs on Boylston St. and the Au Bon Pain the the Prudential Center across from the Hynes Entrance both closed a few months back.
waynoinsano wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:55 pm add the Boston Market on Mass ave to listed of closed places. Would eat the each year for a nice non pizza or burger meal.
The threads in question for future reference:

* "Uno on Boylston closed"

* "Au Bon Pain at Hynes Closing"

Also:

* "Top of the Hub/Skywalk Closing in April 2020" (after the con)

And:

* "Seafood Options"

Edit: waynoinsano: Would you please be so kind as to change the "Resturants" in the thread title to "Restaurants"? :oops:
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

My go to place is Teriyaki House on Boylston in the Berklee College of Music area as you tend to get a lot of food for the amount you pay.

For those late night con goers, Tasty Burger at Back Bay Station is a good option since they close at 2 am Friday and Saturday.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Thornton’s Restaurant on Huntington ave. If you exit the pru from the Barnes n Noble/Cheesecake Factory Side cross the street and take a right you’ll see it and all it’s glory. Good diner and comfort food. But that was years ago last I went I hope it still holds up.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
Lamron
AB Staff

Post by Lamron »

nenie wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:34 am Thornton’s Restaurant on Huntington ave. If you exit the pru from the Barnes n Noble/Cheesecake Factory Side cross the street and take a right you’ll see it and all it’s glory. Good diner and comfort food. But that was years ago last I went I hope it still holds up.
Looks like it's still there :-) but with all the places that have closed, this list is going to need a major update.
Ray DeArville

Kashimalin
Experienced Poster

Post by Kashimalin »

An FYI for ice cream lovers - there's a Cold Stone hiding around the corner of the main Prudential entrance (near the Barnes and Noble). And, that's the area Thornton's is in too - highly recommended for breakfast munchies if you want an excuse to wake up early Friday/Sunday.

I work right near the area (literally a 10 minute walk from the Pru), so some reconnaissance might be worth it as the weather gets nicer to update the lists!
Also known as Kashi Cosplay!
Currently Sewing: Leif from Bug Fables; Iori Izumi from Idolish7
Future Cosplay Plans: Marielle from "The Tales of Marielle Clarac," Trey Clover from Twisted Wonderland, Yor from SpyxFamily
Ariandante
Experienced Poster

Post by Ariandante »

It's a little bit of a hike (20mn walk or so from the Hynes), but Victoria's Diner is on Mass Ave heading towards the South End, and I think they're back to being 24hrs on the weekends now too.
leadfootnh wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:48 am Up Belvedere St and across Mass ave is a great little spot called Love Art Sushi. Went there for lunch yesterday and it’s really good.
Love Art Sushi is phenomenal (and they are still open in 2022, I order from them on DoorDash occasionally).
ah-reh-en-DAHN-tay...
or Kristen... (she/her/hers)
------
AB 2024 Tentative...
Yukako Yamagishi (JJBA DiU), Kagome (Inuyasha), Bunnygirl Haruhi (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)

2022 - Yor Forger (Spy x Family)
2023 - Ameri Azazel (Marimashita Iruma-kun!), Lady Rengoku (Kimetsu no Yaiba)

------
As radiant dawn vanquishes morning dew,
I shall transcend once more as I arise, and begin anew.
-Mirai Chiara
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

Anyone from the area know if shaws next to the pru still has the self serve hot bar?
Lamron
AB Staff

Post by Lamron »

waynoinsano wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:10 pm Anyone from the area know if shaws next to the pru still has the self serve hot bar?
Just called them and was told they have it and fully stocked. It's Star Market BTW :-)
Ray DeArville

Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Happy to add here everyone, that while the Prudential has lost a lot in the way of food places..... Newbury Street has gotten a lot more ethnic over the course of these last few years, and has a lot of international-based food places now on the Hynes-end of the street. Mexican, Chinese, Taiwanese.... a Japanese Izakaya is there now (Might have been there before, I dunno, I never noticed it and maybe I am blind to this), and others.

I actually also saw that there was a Filipino-based drink place there where I was able to try a Halo Halo.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

Lamron wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:45 pm
waynoinsano wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:10 pm Anyone from the area know if shaws next to the pru still has the self serve hot bar?
Just called them and was told they have it and fully stocked. It's Star Market BTW :-)
Same company, different branding, but you're in large part correct—it does make a difference.
Shirley Dulcey
AB Alumni

Post by Shirley Dulcey »

The original supermarket in the area was a Star Market that was part of the Prudential Center complex; it was just off to the side of where you come up the main stairs/escalator if you enter from Boylston St. Some years back that was replaced with a Shaw's in the current location across the street from the Prudential Mall. More recently it was renamed Star Market (both brands have been owned by the same company for about 20 years now), and with the name change came a shift back to more prepared food and more upscale groceries, rather than the heavy push of store brands like a Shaw's usually has.

The store used to be open 24/7, but the hours were cut back when the pandemic hit. It's currently open from 6am until 11pm, so don't plan on a middle of the night grocery run.

The Trader Joe's on Boylston St also cut back its hours a bit. It's currently open from 9am until 9pm.
Shirley Dulcey
Tech 2016-2022
Shirley Dulcey
AB Alumni

Post by Shirley Dulcey »

One new restaurant in the area that may be of special interest to Anime Boston attendees is Red White Ramen, on Newbury St between Gloucester and Hereford St. It's open from 11am until 9pm daily. They have a small indoor dining area and a couple of outdoor tables, and you can also get takeout. The menu is simple (either standard ramen, or with onion and soy "cheese" added) and a variety of broth flavors. Everything is vegan, but I didn't find myself missing meat when I tried the Tokyo Masala (Japanese curry) noodles.

Santouka is another ramen shop, on Hereford St between Boylston and Newbury. It's been there for a few years. I've never eaten there because the line is always long. It's a more traditional ramen shop that offers the usual meats. This location (it's a chain) doesn't have much seating, so plan to order takeout. With the convention coming at the end of May this year, the odds are decent for good weather for outdoor dining.

The block between Fairfield and Gloucester has two new bubble tea places, Gong Cha Newbury and Mr Tea. Yet another bubble tea place, Vivi Bubble Tea, is on Mass Ave at the intersection with St Germain St. Bubble tea isn't my thing so I can't offer reviews.

If you're craving a poke bowl, Love Art Sushi is still where it has been for a few years, on Haviland St just west of Mass Ave. Despite the name, they do not sell nigiri or maki. Open from 11am until 10pm.

A bit farther afield, Boston recently got its first Smashburger. It's on Boylston St between Clarendon and Dartmouth, across the street from the Copley Square park. If you'd rather not walk quite that far, the Shake Shack on Newbury between Exeter and Fairfield is still there. And if you prefer Five Guys there is one of those as well, on Huntington Ave just west of Mass Ave. Fancier burgers are available at Boston Burger, on Boylston St just west of Mass Ave.

The Tasty Burger on Dartmouth St, near the Back Bay T station and across the street from the far entrance to the Copley Place Mall, is once again open until 2am on Friday and Saturday nights. If you're craving something after a late night event it's one of the few options that will still be open, and you can get there with almost no walking outdoors. If the T is still running you can get there with NO walking outdoors; take the tunnel under Dartmouth St to the train station and use the entrance to Tasty Burger inside the station.

Dumpling Palace, on Mass Ave across from St Germain St, is another late night option; it's open until 2am. It doesn't open until 3:30pm so it's not a lunch option. Haju Kitchen (Korean) and Pho Basil (Vietnamese) are both nearby, and Saigon Fusion is another block down Mass Ave.

Longtime Newbury St resident Anime Zakka is no longer in the basement under Pure Barre; it's now across the street near Uniqlo. Still full of anime stuff. If you can't find what you want in the dealers room it might be worth a look.

Another store of interest is Reiwatakiya, between Hereford and Mass Ave near Newbury Comics. It's primarily a Japanese cosmetics store, including some anime-inspired cosmetic lines, and also sells snack foods from Japan. (Though I'll be surprised if they still have any snacks after Friday! I did warn them today that AB is on the way; maybe they'll listen and get extra stock.)
Shirley Dulcey
Tech 2016-2022
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

Thank you. ^_^
leadfootnh
AB Staff

Post by leadfootnh »

In the area, Pressed Cafe recently opened. It's on Huntington Ave just east of the Prudential T stop.

If you've not heard of them, they're a local fast casual chain that has been expanding in the area with a half dozen locations. I have been to the ones in Bedford and Salem, NH. It's mainly medterteranian and middle eastern inspired. There's a great menu with a lot of vegetarian and vegan items.

It's also a solid choice if you want breakfast as they open at 5 am.
Jason Hopkins

Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Pressed is not bad on prices either. I promise you that Pressed is going to be the place that's busy almost all the time for that reason. Lots of space, lots of food options, cheaper than a lot of other places, and Kagome-chan said they are actually going to have some food specifically made for con goers that weekend.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
leadfootnh
AB Staff

Post by leadfootnh »

Sayoria wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:13 am Pressed is not bad on prices either. I promise you that Pressed is going to be the place that's busy almost all the time for that reason. Lots of space, lots of food options, cheaper than a lot of other places, and Kagome-chan said they are actually going to have some food specifically made for con goers that weekend.
Oh boy! I missed that last part! Sounds like they're getting into the spirit of AB.

Actually, that whole event is going to be a huge boost in sales for the area. Thousands of hungry attendees and staff are going to be great for the bottom line, if the they can keep up!
Jason Hopkins

DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

I take it that, despite initial predictions, Eataly is still going. <sigh> Eight more years to go, at a minimum, evidently. I miss the food court.