Useful T tips

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
YagamiRaito
Veteran Poster

Useful T tips

Post by YagamiRaito »

This thread is for any suggestions people have about riding the T.

first off, saving money. There are transfers still, even though it is all electronic.

Getting off at a zone 1 or 1A is cheaper then going all the way into Boston to North or South station. For example on the Fitchburg line there is a stop just before Boston called "Waverly" this stop costs around 3.50(depending on where you get on). This is opposed to going all the way to Porter or North station for 6.75 and up. What do you do when you get to the zone 1 or 1A? Make sure your zone 1 or 1A has transportation to Boston from there. From Waverly for example take the bus to Harvard sq then the T to the Hynes. Why am I saying this? To help people save money. Everyone likes money.

If anyone has anymore T suggestions like accessibility, fares, plz post!
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Useful T tips

Post by basharoftheages »

Saving a few bucks for all that hassle and extra time doesn't seem all that worth wild in the long run - especially when you take into account that you're going to be spending hundreds on hotel, food, and overpriced merch.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Fetch
Show-off

Useful T tips

Post by Fetch »

Transfers are ONLY with the CharlieCard.

If you use cash or the ticket, you got to pay for every individual bus or subway ride you make.

CharlieCard lets you take bus+subway for just the subway price of $1.70. With the ticket or cash, you have to pay $3.50.

http://www.mbta.com/ for more info

My advice: Once you get to AB, unless you 100% have to, don't use the T until it's time to go home. Boston is small enough to walk across the main part of it (Charles River to I-93) in under 90 minutes. An hour, if you don't have to wait for cars to pass and are in excellent shape.
Fetch
Show-off

Useful T tips

Post by Fetch »

A good idea: go to mbta.com and use their Trip Planner, even if you live in the Boston area and go into Boston all the time.
That way, you can make sure of just how early you actually can get into Boston. I've found I can't get to the Hynes/ICA T stop any earlier than 06:45

Also, if you're flying in, use the trip planner to find the approx time from the Airport T stop to Hynes/ICA T stop. Also do it in reverse, so you know how long before your flight home you have to leave. Be sure to have it on the correct day, as the T runs differently on Sat and Sun than on weekdays.

Above all, if you are truely on a tight budget, do NOT take a taxi. Boston cabs are nice, but they are the most expensive in the USA.
Faceman
AB Executive

Useful T tips

Post by Faceman »

It's really not worth saving a few bucks over all the hassle of having to transfer from Commuter Rail to bus to subway to get into the city, instead of just taking the Commuter Rail in. Bashar is right, in that you're spending so much cash during the con, you shouldn't skimp where you don't need to.

Also, it's confusing finding which bus goes where outside the city for the locals, nevermind people traveling in from out of town. It's just easier and saner to take the Rail into the city and hop on the subway there, especially if you're carrying luggage, costumes, etc and bags of merch on the way home.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Fetch
Show-off

Useful T tips

Post by Fetch »

If you're coming from the South, then getting off at Back Bay makes sense. However not all trains that go to South Station stop at Back Bay. In that case, you take the red line from South Station to Downtown Crossing then the orange line to Back Bay OR go one more stop on the red line to Park Street and then take the green line to Prudential or Hynes/ICA.

If you're coming in to North Station, take the orange line to Back Bay or the green line to Prudential or Hynes/ICA.

However you do it, figure 10-15 minutes walking time. And if you have to take the subway, figure another 10 for each transfer.

btw, the Prudential and Hynes/ICA stops are roughly equidistant from the Hynes. They're simply on opposite sides of the Prudential building.
jessica
Committed Poster

Useful T tips

Post by jessica »

[quote=Fetch]

btw, the Prudential and Hynes/ICA stops are roughly equidistant from the Hynes. They're simply on opposite sides of the Prudential building.[/quote]

True dat.

Remember: Only the E train goes to Prudential. I believe all of the other Green Line trains go to Hynes/ICA.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong ^_^
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Useful T tips

The important thing is making sure people know which stop is closer to the hotel - since that's going to be important for a lot of people.
PatrickD
AB Staff

Useful T tips

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=BasharOfTheAges]The important thing is making sure people know which stop is closer to the hotel - since that's going to be important for a lot of people.[/quote]

They're about the same. ...but with the Pru stop, you don't have to go outside. Helpful if it rains.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
YagamiRaito
Veteran Poster

Useful T tips

Post by YagamiRaito »

[quote=Faceman]It's really not worth saving a few bucks over all the hassle of having to transfer from Commuter Rail to bus to subway to get into the city, instead of just taking the Commuter Rail in. Bashar is right, in that you're spending so much cash during the con, you shouldn't skimp where you don't need to.

Also, it's confusing finding which bus goes where outside the city for the locals, nevermind people traveling in from out of town. It's just easier and saner to take the Rail into the city and hop on the subway there, especially if you're carrying luggage, costumes, etc and bags of merch on the way home.[/quote]

Ya I completly agree, just wanted to put that out there that u can save about 10 bucks if desired.
YagamiRaito
Veteran Poster

Useful T tips

Post by YagamiRaito »

[quote=jessica][quote=Fetch]

btw, the Prudential and Hynes/ICA stops are roughly equidistant from the Hynes. They're simply on opposite sides of the Prudential building.[/quote]

True dat.

Remember: Only the E train goes to Prudential. I believe all of the other Green Line trains go to Hynes/ICA.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong ^_^[/quote]

you are correct.
amphitrite
Getting the hang of this...

Useful T tips

Post by amphitrite »

It should also be mentioned that unlike NYC or other cities where subway stops are really far apart, Boston's T stops are somewhat ridiculously close together. If it's a nice day (end of April... it will be) you could even get off the T at Park Street and walk to Hynes if you're up for a nice long walk through the commons. The Pru, Copley, Hynes, they're all within reasonable walking distance of each other, so you could just get off Copley if you're also on the Green line and just walk from there too.
Faceman
AB Executive

Useful T tips

Post by Faceman »

Well, I know you're coming from NH, so this is just a suggestion, but you might even want to consider going to one of the more southern Red Line stops, such as North Quincy, Wollaston, Quincy Center, Quincy Adams and Braintree. Most of them have parking garages and/or lots. And from what I've seen, they're not as busy in the morning as Alewife, though I could be wrong.
Chris O'Connell

aznman08
AB Staff

Useful T tips

Post by aznman08 »

[quote=amphitrite] The Pru, Copley, Hynes, they're all within reasonable walking distance of each other, so you could just get off Copley if you're also on the Green line and just walk from there too.[/quote]

Getting off at Copley is the best choice coming from Park Street. All Green Line trains stop here and it's a very reasonable walk. Prudential stop is good when it's raining only the "E" train stops here.
John Bautista
AB 2022: General Tech l 2019: Senior Tech l 2014-18: Junior Tech Staff l 2007-2013: AB volunteer l 2006:attendee
PAX East Enforcer:2014-22
Faceman
AB Executive

Useful T tips

Post by Faceman »

I'd probably have to say if you're coming from Park Street, Prudential on the E line would be best. It takes to inside the Pru and you can just walk to the hotel and center's inside entrance. The walk from Copley to the Hynes is definitely longer, and you also have to deal with crossing traffic and the street/sidewalk construction.
Chris O'Connell

Fetch
Show-off

Useful T tips

Post by Fetch »

If you do use the Prudential stop:

When you get out of the station and into the Pru mall, go up the escalator and take the corridor on the left.
Take will take you towards the Hynes and Sheraton without having to go thru the center of the mall.
aznman08
AB Staff

Useful T tips

Post by aznman08 »

The only issue is that the "E" train comes about 4-5 times less than all the other Green Line trains.
John Bautista
AB 2022: General Tech l 2019: Senior Tech l 2014-18: Junior Tech Staff l 2007-2013: AB volunteer l 2006:attendee
Fetch
Show-off

Useful T tips

Post by Fetch »

Was reading this again, and fianlly noticed something.
[quote=YagamiRaito]
Getting off at a zone 1 or 1A is cheaper then going all the way into Boston to North or South station.[/quote]

Hate to tell you, but Zone 1 is North and South Stations. And as of 1/1/07, there is no Zone 1A.

Be sure to check what stops your train stops at.
Some trains going into South Station stop at Back Bay. Some stop at Forest Hills. Some stop at neither.
So, you either have a nice train ride and walk, or you have to wait for connections and then have nice walk.
tu_sense
Experienced Poster

Useful T tips

Post by tu_sense »

So I did a little research and it seems that from NJ I could take a train to the downtown area of Boston. The stop is South or something? I think it's the same one mentioned in this thread. So that seems like a decent route to go for travel, but it's reallllllly expensive to take the train that far.

In light of that, I'm thinking of driving (my car gets good mileage. I think I would probably save money by driving as compared to the train). So my real question here is: if you're staying in the hotel there, does it have a garage or something where I could park? And if so, are they going to charge people to stay in that garage or is it included if you're staying in the hotel?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I saw a thread about parking, but it didn't seem like they were talking about parking for hotel guests.
tammertime
Show-off

Useful T tips

Post by tammertime »

I parked everyday in the lot for the Prudential Center, and I don't know how it is overnight, but hour by hour it's pretty expensive.
Kagomechan
AB Staff

Useful T tips

Post by Kagomechan »

Parking is extra, even if you are a hotel guest.

If you are going to drive, I strongly suggest you park at one of the T lots that allow overnight parking. If you have a lot to carry, I would drive in, check in and drop off your things, then drive your car out to one of the T lots for the weekend. It will save you $20+ per day on parking.

The T lots listed at the bottom of this page allow overnight parking.
Mary Kaplan
Staff Resource Manager for Anime Boston 2013-2024
Director of Operations for Anime Boston 2006-2012
Secretary 2004-2005
Information Desk Manager 2003-2005
ShadowWolf
Committed Poster

Useful T tips

Post by ShadowWolf »

Parking costs just about anywhere in Boston. Best bet is taking the bus.
tu_sense
Experienced Poster

Useful T tips

Post by tu_sense »

[quote=Kagomechan]Parking is extra, even if you are a hotel guest.

If you are going to drive, I strongly suggest you park at one of the T lots that allow overnight parking. If you have a lot to carry, I would drive in, check in and drop off your things, then drive your car out to one of the T lots for the weekend. It will save you $20+ per day on parking.

The T lots listed at the bottom of this page allow overnight parking.[/quote]

I see. Thanks. Its going to take a scary amount of math for me to figure out the best route to take, but at least now I have the numbers in front of me.
Wii Block Her

Useful T tips

Post by Wii Block Her »

over the years i normally park in Sullivan square.. costs me about 14 bucks for the whole weekend.. from thurs-mon. And yes my car is still there when i get back from the con. Other wise don't expect a good rate anywhere around the pru....I'm cheap and i never had a bad experence with my car on the out skirts of Boston. So if you need directions to where i park then your more then welcome to leave me pm and i'll send them to you.
Jen Legay
Security Auditor 11,12
Security : 03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11

At this time we are not hiring any Ninjas.
However, we are growing and things are always changing so please
continue to be in touch
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Useful T tips

Post by Phantom 1 »

I agree getting the Charlie Card is way more beneficial than the ticket or just using cash. I gave one to my sister's friend (Boston native) and she says it was a life saver for her.
Fetch
Show-off

Useful T tips

Post by Fetch »

[quote=Phantom 1]I agree getting the Charlie Card is way more beneficial than the ticket or just using cash. I gave one to my sister's friend (Boston native) and she says it was a life saver for her.[/quote]

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/charlie/
aznman08
AB Staff

Useful T tips

Post by aznman08 »

Problem with the Charlie Card is that if the card goes inactive after a long period of time, you lose all the money that is stored on it.
I'm glad that I have my monthly T pass so I wont have to worry.
John Bautista
Fetch
Show-off

Useful T tips

Post by Fetch »

Charlie Card has exp date of 18 months from when you put money on it.
Every time you put more money on, even just a nickel, it's 18 months from that date.

Since AB's are, at most, 14 months apart, there should be no worries.
My advice: keep 1 subway fare (1.70) on the card, so that when you come in next year and are in ultra-rush to get to AB, you can just tap and go.
DougCL
I'm new!

Useful T tips

Post by DougCL »

honestly, Hynes/ICA is you best bet if its not raining because you can just get on any green line, and its a shorter ride. this is good because green line is jumpy so if your carrying a fragile prop or costume, there is a lower chance of it getting busted. so beware
Faceman
AB Executive

Useful T tips

Post by Faceman »

[quote=DougCL]honestly, Hynes/ICA is you best bet if its not raining because you can just get on any green line, and its a shorter ride. this is good because green line is jumpy so if your carrying a fragile prop or costume, there is a lower chance of it getting busted. so beware[/quote]

Actually, it's not any Green Line to Hynes/ICA. It's B, C or D to Hynes/ICA. The E line stops at Prudential, which is pretty much on the other end of the Center.

And if you're going to the Marriot first, I believe either the Prudential stop (E line) or Copley Square stop (any Green line train) is closer, at least compared to Hynes/ICA.
Chris O'Connell

PatrickD
AB Staff

Useful T tips

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=Faceman]Actually, it's not any Green Line to Hynes/ICA. It's B, C or D to Hynes/ICA. The E line stops at Prudential, which is pretty much on the other end of the Center.

And if you're going to the Marriot first, I believe either the Prudential stop (E line) or Copley Square stop (any Green line train) is closer, at least compared to Hynes/ICA.[/quote]
It's less complicated to just look at the page we already have on this:
http://www.animeboston.com/location/travel/subway.shtml

If you're going to the Marriott, get off at the Prudential stop...it's right there. If you're going direct to the Hynes, either the Hynes/ICA or Prudential stops work fine and are about the same distance.

Don't bother with Copley.
-Patrick Delahanty

View my Convention List
Fetch
Show-off

Useful T tips

Post by Fetch »

If one is going to the Copley Marriott, the closest station is Back Bay, on the Orange line.
Especially if the weather is bad, cause you can get from Back Bay station to the Marriott without stepping outside.
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Useful T tips

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Hello, I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me, please? :)

On the night before the con, my boyfriend & I will be attending the Boston Bruins-Montreal Canadiens game at the TD Bank North Garden. We know to get on the Green Line at the Hynes/ICA stop, and we know to get off at North Station for our final destination.

My question though is, do we stay on the Green Line the entire time, or do we have to transfer?

I've been having trouble trying to figure it out.

Thanks in advance...
PatrickD
AB Staff

Useful T tips

Post by PatrickD »

You can stay on the green line the whole time. Just make sure you get on a train that says either "North Station" or "Lechmere" and doesn't stop at "Government Center". A bunch of the trains stop there. (Of course, you could always go to Government Center and then find a North Station train from there if you wanted. Follow the people in Bruins jerseys.)
-Patrick Delahanty

View my Convention List
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Useful T tips

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

[quote=PatrickD]You can stay on the green line the whole time. Just make sure you get on a train that says either "North Station" or "Lechmere" and doesn't stop at "Government Center". A bunch of the trains stop there. (Of course, you could always go to Government Center and then find a North Station train from there if you wanted. Follow the people in Bruins jerseys.)[/quote]

Thank you muchly, Patrick, i appreciate it.^_^ *giggles* I couldn't help but think where you said "Follow the people in Bruins jerseys", I thought of this: "Make a B-line towards the Bruins"!! LOL!!
zigres
I'm new!

Useful T tips

Post by zigres »

I have a question.. If i was to arrive at South Station then take a commuter rail and get off at Back Bay then walk over to Boston Marriott Copley Place Hotel where i'll be staying, is that the best route to take, or is there an easier one?
Vu
AB Staff

Useful T tips

Post by Vu »

[quote=zigres]I have a question.. If i was to arrive at South Station then take a commuter rail and get off at Back Bay then walk over to Boston Marriott Copley Place Hotel where i'll be staying, is that the best route to take, or is there an easier one? [/quote]
Don't take the Commuter Rail. Much more expensive. If you get to South Station, just get to Park Street, which is two stops away. Hop on the E Green line and get off the Prudential stop. Probably brings you closer to the Marriott Copley Place Hotel.
Vu Tran
North American Guest Liaison
Anime Boston 2022

Viva la manatee!

"Gonna have to go find my eyeballs, I rolled them too hard"
- Rebecca Lee, 2019
jnik
Show-off

Useful T tips

Post by jnik »

[quote=zigres]If i was to arrive at South Station then take a commuter rail and get off at Back Bay then walk over to Boston Marriott Copley Place Hotel where i'll be staying, is that the best route to take, or is there an easier one? [/quote]
Many trains that arrive at South Station stop first at Back Bay (it's just the Old Colony lines that don't), so you can just get off there.

Supposedly you can "shuttle" from South Station to Back Bay for free via any train that's outbound via Bay Bay (Worcester/Framingham, Needham, Franklin/Forge Park, Providence/Stoughton) but I've never found details (I think in practice they don't check tickets until after Back Bay). Otherwise it's the same $1.70 as taking the subway, provided you buy tickets at South Station (Zone 1A ticket)
zigres
I'm new!

Useful T tips

Post by zigres »

Thank you both for the information!
I just hope i don't get lost. I'm quite terrible with directions. :(
Kirachan101
Veteran Poster

Useful T tips

Post by Kirachan101 »

I have a question,
Are people going to kill me if I cosplay on the T?

Im especially scared because Ive lived here like my whole life. Ive seen people give glances to people that wear shorts in the winter. Im used to it, but cosplay..eh..never seen a person do it except for haloween
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Useful T tips

[quote=Kirachan101]I have a question,
Are people going to kill me if I cosplay on the T?[/quote]
Of course they will. Haven't you heard of the hundreds of cosplayers filling the morgues of Boston every year from the mass-slaughters that take place during AB? It's national news.
Kirachan101
Veteran Poster

Useful T tips

Post by Kirachan101 »

[quote=BasharOfTheAges][quote=Kirachan101]I have a question,
Are people going to kill me if I cosplay on the T?[/quote]
Of course they will. Haven't you heard of the hundreds of cosplayers filling the morgues of Boston every year from the mass-slaughters that take place during AB? It's national news.[/quote]
Oh... Then I might cosplay on the T since I love dieing XD
Mizu
Dedicated Poster

Useful T tips

Post by Mizu »

I've been on the T in so many different states of crazy costume, and I had loads of fun doing it. I don't know what T you've been on all these years but for me, strangers are always very kind when you provide them the visual entertainment of a deliberately strange getup. They might ask you why you're dressed the way you are- just tell them the truth! And don't forget to give your seat to old people and people with little kids. :)
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Useful T tips

Post by marikotoeii »

let me tell you this...

i have been harrassed by strangers more times in the suburbs than i ever have been in the city. the most that people will do is ask you where youre headed or if theres a party or soemthing.

all the same common sense would say to avoid walkign the streets in skimpy cosplays after dark.
Kirachan101
Veteran Poster

Useful T tips

Post by Kirachan101 »

Lola... no, i didn't mean they're mean. I just don't like the strange glances they give you. I take the green line and some of the buses :)
PS. They don't really talk to you? At least not to me? But they might? :-/ Well, I'll see....
priestess_grrrl
Expert Poster

Useful T tips

Post by priestess_grrrl »

This is kind of funny: the person who is making my costume is from Somerville and she's a big Sox fan. She offered to sew a big "B" on the front of my Sai costume, so that people think I'm just a ridiculously huge Matsuzaka fan. Knowing how rabid the fans are around here, it just might work. :cool:

But seriously, don't even worry about it. I know what you mean, people stare, but every year at AB tons of us are on the train, especially when you get around Hynes, so it's really not a big deal.
Fetch
Show-off

Useful T tips

Post by Fetch »

And besides, messing with the norms is one of the perks of going to cons.
Kirachan101
Veteran Poster

Useful T tips

Post by Kirachan101 »

:o Thats nice... I just wasn't sure if others were doing that too... I was just going to make my dad drive me if no one was cosplaying. But I'm definitely takin the T, just for the sake of seeing the cosplaying early :p
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Useful T tips

Post by MerchMaven »

I found myself on the T on dang "No Pants on the T" day. Trust me, the T and its staff have seen weirder than a pair of cosplay wings. 8)

The obvious concern, of course, is to remove anything too bulky or fragile. The last thing you'd want is a piece you've worked on for weeks to months get crushed by commuters.
Kerry Walker
Anime Boston Merch Manager, 2006-2019
Anime Boston Security, 2004-2006
Akina_Sumora
Determined Poster

Useful T tips

Post by Akina_Sumora »

I've ridden the T in cosplay a few times, but I wasn't wearing anything too outrageous. The most that happened was when I was wearing my Fullmoon cosplay and someone asked me what manga I was from. Besides that, no one said anything, although I'm sure I got a few looks.
AB 2016:
Sat- Mabinogi After-School Uniform OR Mabinogi Traditional Korean Outfit (weather pending)
Sun- Sailor Lolita coordinate OR Shoko Kirishima- Baka and Test (weather pending)

AB 2015:
Thur- FeMC (Winter casual)- Persona 3 Portable
Fri- FeMC (SEES)- P3P
Sat- Shouko Kirishima- Baka and Test
Sun- Mabinogi After-School Uniform

AB 2014:
Fri- Mabi After-School Uniform
Sat- B&W lolita coordinate
Sun- Mabi Traditional Korean Outfit