About the Prudential Center

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Iszumi
Getting the hang of this...

About the Prudential Center

Post by Iszumi »

What time does the Prudential Mall itself close (as opposed to the shops in the Prudential Center)?
In case of inclement weather, is the entire mall completely covered or are there places that are exposed to the elements?
What exits in both the mall and in the Hynes Convention Center are available after 9:00 PM?
What streets should I avoid if I find myself walking alone at night (where I may be staying may be on St. Stephen Street or St. Botolph Street but I'm pretty sure that I will be staying on West Newton Street) :?
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Re: About the Prudential Center

Post by Sakura-chan »

I can only answer your second question as I have attended AB many times but I am not local. The mall is completely enclosed and there are no areas exposed to the elements. There are doors near the food court where you can go outside into a courtyard area.
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)
Flemtee
Expert Poster

Post by Flemtee »

Events at AB can go pretty late (Around 2 or 3 in the am) so the mall is accessible, or at least open for a pass-through at that hour. Many of us head to our connecting hotels at that time. As long as you're not loitering there late at night, I think you can still get in and out... at least through the hotel entrances. As far as a specific closing time I'm not sure what that would be.

Also, when it's that late and there's nobody there, it certainly feels like you're in the wrong place, haha, creepy!
Andrew Fleming
Co-Creator/Co-Host of Wicked Anime
AB '16 Press
Co-Host of Wicked Anime Presents: Hardcore Anime! 18+ Panel
Co-Host of My Waifu's Not Weird!

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/WickedAnimeReviews
Podcast - http://nerdyshow.com/wickedanime/
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/WickedAnime

Website - http://stickfiguredomain.wordpress.com
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

Flemtee wrote:Events at AB can go pretty late (Around 2 or 3 in the am) so the mall is accessible, or at least open for a pass-through at that hour. Many of us head to our connecting hotels at that time. As long as you're not loitering there late at night, I think you can still get in and out... at least through the hotel entrances. As far as a specific closing time I'm not sure what that would be.

Also, when it's that late and there's nobody there, it certainly feels like you're in the wrong place, haha, creepy!
Nobody let the Slenderman cosplayers know this... they might lurk there <.< >.> <.< >.>
AB '10: The Sorrow (MGS3)
AB '11: Vamp (MGS2)
AB '12: Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2) & Major Raikov (MGS3)
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
KatrinaDraws
Expert Poster

Post by KatrinaDraws »

-the mall stores do close at 9 [6 on Sundays]. but the actual building is open until very late. you will be able to pass through it no problem, and I do believe all of the exits will be available. I wouldn't loiter, though.
-the entire mall is indoors, and is connected to the Hynes and the Sheraton (AND the Marriott across the street via a glass corridor)...there is also an MBTA stop accessible via the prudential center.
-Normally I would say that I generally find walking alone in Boston late at night to be ill-advised in general/advise you to get a buddy, BUT all of those streets you said are very close by and most of your walk would be along Huntington Ave which is a totally fine busy/populated street.
Iszumi

Post by Iszumi »

RapaxGuardian wrote:
Flemtee wrote:Events at AB can go pretty late (Around 2 or 3 in the am) so the mall is accessible, or at least open for a pass-through at that hour. Many of us head to our connecting hotels at that time. As long as you're not loitering there late at night, I think you can still get in and out... at least through the hotel entrances. As far as a specific closing time I'm not sure what that would be.

Nobody let the Slenderman cosplayers know this... they might lurk there <.< >.> <.< >.>
In that case I'll be on the lookout, thank you :lol: !
Iszumi

Post by Iszumi »

KatrinaDraws wrote:-the mall stores do close at 9 [6 on Sundays]. but the actual building is open until very late. you will be able to pass through it no problem, and I do believe all of the exits will be available. I wouldn't loiter, though.
-the entire mall is indoors, and is connected to the Hynes and the Sheraton (AND the Marriott across the street via a glass corridor)...there is also an MBTA stop accessible via the prudential center.
-Normally I would say that I generally find walking alone in Boston late at night to be ill-advised in general/advise you to get a buddy, BUT all of those streets you said are very close by and most of your walk would be along Huntington Ave which is a totally fine busy/populated street.
Thanks for your reply. What about walking along Massachusetts Avenue? From looking at the maps that I've seen from Google it looks that there are a lot of stores there so I am assuming that it is a relatively busy street :) .
KatrinaDraws
Expert Poster

Post by KatrinaDraws »

Mass Ave is fine too (´∀`)b
winterwing3000
AB Alumni

Post by winterwing3000 »

KatrinaDraws wrote:Mass Ave is fine too (´∀`)b
Just a bit of caution about Mass Ave--while it is well lit and relatively safe, I do recommend walking with a buddy down Mass Ave especially if you were thinking about any time after 1 AM. There are a few homeless folks (generally harmless) out and about that area, and maybe even a couple groups of rowdy college students (cuz Northeastern has school during summer breaks -__-'') who are walking back from a bar.
Elisa Cheng
Security Staff '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18

--
"Steel is my body, fire is my blood..." - Archer, Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works incantation)
Iszumi

Post by Iszumi »

winterwing3000 wrote:
KatrinaDraws wrote:Mass Ave is fine too (´∀`)b
Just a bit of caution about Mass Ave--while it is well lit and relatively safe, I do recommend walking with a buddy down Mass Ave especially if you were thinking about any time after 1 AM. There are a few homeless folks (generally harmless) out and about that area, and maybe even a couple groups of rowdy college students (cuz Northeastern has school during summer breaks -__-'') who are walking back from a bar.
Thanks for the reply. There were homeless people around the Quality Inn in Baltimore when I attended Otakon and while there was no incidents it does not hurt to keep both eyes open.

(God Bless and please heal the people of Boston)