Traveling in a Cosplay on the MBTA

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Domino
Experienced Poster

Traveling in a Cosplay on the MBTA

Post by Domino »

So as the topic title states, I'm wondering about traveling on the T-line with a cosplay. The only case I've heard anything of the like is with Japanese laws where you can't be dressed up if you aren't (in Comiket's case) on cosplay grounds. I know it's a bit more lenient in the states, and from what I remember from last year, we could walk around the streets just fine and whatnot.

But! With Pax East being this same weekend, I'm going to be going back and forth with these two conventions. They had a shuttle last year that went from the hotels that Anime Boston book to the convention center that holds Pax East, which I'd assume they'd have this year as well. Thing is, they ended their routes at around 8pm whilst the T ends (specifically the route to and from Hynes) a little before 1 am.

So, by city law/convention rules/whatever else, is it allowed/acceptable to wear your cosplay on the MBTA?
I'll be doing the Koumajou Densetsu version of Reimu Hakurei, so it'd definitely stick out if that matters.
FarFromRedemption
Dedicated Poster

Re: Traveling in a Cosplay on the MBTA

Post by FarFromRedemption »

Really there aren't any laws that state you can not dress up if your going to ride the MBTA. However you want to make sure you are dressed in an acceptable manner which more or less means nudity and partial nudity are not a good idea.
Wearing a general costume on the T or shuttle busses isn't a problem you might get some weird looks and stares, but they won't kick you off. Be polite to the folks around you and try not to bring giant props on with you and you'll be fine.
I wear cosplays on the T all the time.
Potential Cosplays for 2022
Ban (The Seven Deadly Sins)
Archon Rex Lapis/Zhongli (Genshin Impact)
Nikaido (DoroheDoro) *maybe*
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

And if you have any weapon props, PLEASE keep them inside a bag while going around Boston.
We don't need to have any more stories about cosplayers almost being shot by the BPD.
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

I'll be wearing a wig and a casual version of my character on my bus from Connecticut and the subway on Thursday. People may ask you questions and you may get funny looks but so long as your cosplay isn't all that revealing you should be fine. I wouldn't go on there dressed as Yoko from Gurren Lagan for example and if I had to, I'd wear a coat over it or something but really, there shouldn't be any problems with it and there are no laws against it..trust me, you will NOT be alone.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Domino
Experienced Poster

Post by Domino »

Awesome, and yeah, I figure I'll probably be keeping my gohei within a backpack when I'm not at a convention.
Qu-ko
Veteran Poster

Post by Qu-ko »

It's not uncommon for people to go into Boston and take the T elsewhere in cosplay on the weekend of the con. I always see a bunch of people in cosplay the day I go in, without fail.
danna
Experienced Poster

Post by danna »

I've never had a problem with cosplaying on the T, at least on the green line. You'll get lots of stares but that's really the worst of it! it's kind of fun haha.
AB07: Road Kamelot [D.Gray-Man]
AB08: Karin [Kamichama Karin]
AB09: Self :c
AB10: Mei Chang [Fullmetal Alchemist]
AB11: Crona [Soul Eater]

AB12: San [Princess Mononoke]
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Never cosplayed but I don't see any problem. In fact, once the green line hits Park St. station, nearly half of the train are going to the convention with about a third or more of that being cosplayers. It's fun to watch the others reactions.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
freshmoves91
Getting the hang of this...

Post by freshmoves91 »

I cosplayed many times in other conventions. I'm from Long Island and i would take the train to NY with my cosplay. Never had a problem. Idk how it will be in Boston since this is my first time there, but as far as NY, it's no big deal
Nessa
Expert Poster

Post by Nessa »

Domino wrote:So as the topic title states, I'm wondering about traveling on the T-line with a cosplay. The only case I've heard anything of the like is with Japanese laws where you can't be dressed up if you aren't (in Comiket's case) on cosplay grounds. I know it's a bit more lenient in the states, and from what I remember from last year, we could walk around the streets just fine and whatnot.

But! With Pax East being this same weekend, I'm going to be going back and forth with these two conventions. They had a shuttle last year that went from the hotels that Anime Boston book to the convention center that holds Pax East, which I'd assume they'd have this year as well. Thing is, they ended their routes at around 8pm whilst the T ends (specifically the route to and from Hynes) a little before 1 am.

So, by city law/convention rules/whatever else, is it allowed/acceptable to wear your cosplay on the MBTA?
I'll be doing the Koumajou Densetsu version of Reimu Hakurei, so it'd definitely stick out if that matters.
I do it every year! They don't really care what you're wearing as long as you aren't legit naked or breaking any laws in boston (no weapons,etc)
AB 2009: Yuki Cross (Vampire Knight)
AB 2010: Android 17 (Dragon Ball Z)
AB 2011: Sims
AB 2012: Penguin kigurumi
AB 2013/2014: Mikuru Asahina (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), Penguin kigurumi
AB 2015: Heather Mason (Silent Hill game), penguin kigu
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

tweekie25 wrote:
Domino wrote:So as the topic title states, I'm wondering about traveling on the T-line with a cosplay. The only case I've heard anything of the like is with Japanese laws where you can't be dressed up if you aren't (in Comiket's case) on cosplay grounds. I know it's a bit more lenient in the states, and from what I remember from last year, we could walk around the streets just fine and whatnot.

I do it every year! They don't really care what you're wearing as long as you aren't legit naked or breaking any laws in boston (no weapons,etc)
Maybe we should ask someone who has done the annual "No Pants Subway Ride" to see if they got in any trouble...
Past Conventions:

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries

Nessa
Expert Poster

Post by Nessa »

Elli21486 wrote:
tweekie25 wrote:

Maybe we should ask someone who has done the annual "No Pants Subway Ride" to see if they got in any trouble...

Bahahaha xD!
Luckyduckeez

Post by Luckyduckeez »

My question sorta goes with yours but what about cosplays that make you have fake blood on you (a good amount of it too) will the mbta have a problem with it? Like should I wait till I get to the con to put it on my face and such? Or will it be fine to wear on the T?
Nessa
Expert Poster

Post by Nessa »

Luckyduckeez wrote:My question sorta goes with yours but what about cosplays that make you have fake blood on you (a good amount of it too) will the mbta have a problem with it? Like should I wait till I get to the con to put it on my face and such? Or will it be fine to wear on the T?
I don't think they'll care, Just try not to get much on the seat xD
Luckyduckeez

Post by Luckyduckeez »

tweekie25 wrote:
Luckyduckeez wrote:My question sorta goes with yours but what about cosplays that make you have fake blood on you (a good amount of it too) will the mbta have a problem with it? Like should I wait till I get to the con to put it on my face and such? Or will it be fine to wear on the T?
I don't think they'll care, Just try not to get much on the seat xD
Thanks its mostly going to be on my face and chest any way so that shouldn't be a problem
Staren
Veteran Poster

Post by Staren »

Just use a little common sense. Be a normal active human being when out in the town. Don't take a cat nap or something equally stupid that might make someone freak out. If you're wearing the blood with something that is obviously a costume, fine. If you look like someone in street clothes with a ton of blood on you, think about waiting until the con to put it on.
AB attendee every year since 2010.
Luckyduckeez

Post by Luckyduckeez »

Funny thing I was thinking bout that today and because it could be thought of as not a cosplay if you don't know what I am going as so I am going to wait till I get to the Con to dress up just to be on the safe side.
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

Luckyduckeez wrote:Funny thing I was thinking bout that today and because it could be thought of as not a cosplay if you don't know what I am going as so I am going to wait till I get to the Con to dress up just to be on the safe side.
Yeah, if in doubt, save the cosplay for the con. Although some people may have worn some crazy costumes on the T, you never know what kind of crazy person you'll bump into that has an issue with whatever costume you're wearing. ...so it saves a lot of hassle to just get dressed after you arrive.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
Ajora
I'm new!

Post by Ajora »

Howdy,

I don't mean to necro this thread but I had a similar sort of issue/question. I live pretty close to the convention center, on Albany St. right next to Boston Medical Center. However, I am a bit iffy about traveling on the T in costume. This is my first year in Boston so I don't know what the culture is like here. In Atlanta (where I moved from), cosplayers literally consume the city during cons so it is fine. I guess the question is are there generally cosplayers filling the streets heading up to the con or am I going to just be an oddball until I step foot in the convention. I'd be taking the 1 bus straight up Mass ave. to Hynes, (or Symphony I'm not sure which yet I've seen people post different things here but that is something I'll figure out lol.)

I'd prefer not to have to worry about changing at the con, carrying around my "real" clothes would just be a pain all day.

Sorry for the random post x.x
KatrinaDraws
Expert Poster

Post by KatrinaDraws »

Ajora wrote:Howdy,

I don't mean to necro this thread but I had a similar sort of issue/question. I live pretty close to the convention center, on Albany St. right next to Boston Medical Center. However, I am a bit iffy about traveling on the T in costume. This is my first year in Boston so I don't know what the culture is like here. In Atlanta (where I moved from), cosplayers literally consume the city during cons so it is fine. I guess the question is are there generally cosplayers filling the streets heading up to the con or am I going to just be an oddball until I step foot in the convention. I'd be taking the 1 bus straight up Mass ave. to Hynes, (or Symphony I'm not sure which yet I've seen people post different things here but that is something I'll figure out lol.)

I'd prefer not to have to worry about changing at the con, carrying around my "real" clothes would just be a pain all day.

Sorry for the random post x.x
I would say it shouldn't be a problem. The city doesn't get too swarmed with cosplayers, but right around the con / public transportation generally do. From my experience, the most that happens is some confused looks from commuters [depending on what time you are traveling] or people just asking you where are you headed / what's going on this weekend. I get a lot of "I've seen a lot of people in costumes, what's going on this weekend?" probably because I look like a pretty non-threatening person to ask :lol: But I've never had issues with anyone being rude or confrontational. I hope this helps!

(Also, welcome to Boston!)
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Public bus, I can't really say since I take the subway into the convention. However, since you said you will be taking Bus 1, that will mean you will either get off at Symphony or wait 2 more stops after Symphony to Hynes Convention. Since I do walk around the area, I have some insight to this. Both areas, you will find other cosplayers walking the street.

At Symphony Station, you will most likely find cosplayers leaving the Midtown heading to the Prudential on Huntington Ave. It is very likely that you will also see some taking pictures at the Christian Science Church.

At Hynes Convention Station, you will see cosplayers walking down Boylston past Berklee College of Music. Since you will get off at the entrance of the station, you will fit in. I will like to mention that the cosplayers at this station will either be heading to the Prudential or walking around to find a place to grab food.

For the most part, cosplayers can be found on the street in a 1 mile radius of the Prudential (quick guess). Outside this radius (as in walking to the bus stop and on the bus itself), I will suggest what easiersaidthandrawn said. Hope this helps.
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries

Qu-ko
Veteran Poster

Post by Qu-ko »

I'm assuming that, since there's always an influx in cosplayers and people in ridiculous costumes when AB rolls around, it'd be easy for anyone staffing the train, or any police officers in the area, to assume that an event is going on in the city with costumes and stuff. For the ones that aren't already privvy to the existence of anime cons, anyway.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've cosplayed on the T to meetups that had nothing to do with AB (i.e. I was the most colorful person in the car), and the worst I got were a few curious glances -- and it was a costume with a short skirt, to boot. Weirder people show up on the trains than cosplayers, honestly.
The_Dessert_Witch
Veteran Poster

Post by The_Dessert_Witch »

I feel like I should add this to this board:

Charlotte, the cosplay you see at the left in my picture currently eating Sailor Moon (thank you, btw), is horrible. I love the cosplay to pieces, but she is bulky, heavy, hard to move in, and I can only really move her while being inside of her.

Needless to say, I needed to go on the T, transporting her to the convention center. And the only way to transport her without having major issues is wearing her.

So, I wore her on the T. I have to say, my biggest issues were getting off the T (as I can't see out the mouth that well, sometimes), and getting through the ticket-gate things. People stared, people looked at me curiously, and I just stayed in the back corner of one of the compartments and tried to stay as still as possible. Heck, for the normal people, I placed the open mouth over my friend's head for part of the ride, so some of the kids would laugh at this giant monster thing eating someone else on the train (he was helping me on and off, and was alright with this. I wouldn't do that to someone I didn't know, obviously).

On the same ride, there was a wonderful Kanaya cosplayer (Homestuck) with full chainsaw and all, and while there were a few stares, there wasn't any problems with it really.

I pride myself on being able to get Charlotte in and out of places she probably shouldn't be able to go (for example, revolving doors are so much fun in her, mostly for other people's reactions). The T is one of them. If I was able to do that, chances are you'll be fine with a cosplay much less larger-than-life than Charlotte. =) Good Luck to you!
2011: Theresa (Fable II, Fable III) (Fri, Sun)/OC Post-Apocalyptic Pokemon Trainer (Sat)
2012: Charlotte's Tumor Form v. 1 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) (All)
2013: Charlotte's Tumor Form v. 1 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) (All)
2014: Projected: Dead!Mami in Charlotte Hoodie (Puella Magi Madoka Magica), Tsukimi and Clara(Princess Jellyfish)
FarFromRedemption
Dedicated Poster

Post by FarFromRedemption »

The_Dessert_Witch wrote:I feel like I should add this to this board:

Charlotte, the cosplay you see at the left in my picture currently eating Sailor Moon (thank you, btw), is horrible. I love the cosplay to pieces, but she is bulky, heavy, hard to move in, and I can only really move her while being inside of her.
I feel your pain. I had to haul my Rayquaza mascot suit on the T with me. I fit most of him into a very large suitcase, but his head isn't not meant for squishing and stuffing so I had to carry it under my arm, which the looks I got from having a dragon's head tucked nicely under my arm was funny.
Potential Cosplays for 2022
Ban (The Seven Deadly Sins)
Archon Rex Lapis/Zhongli (Genshin Impact)
Nikaido (DoroheDoro) *maybe*
The_Dessert_Witch
Veteran Poster

Post by The_Dessert_Witch »

FarFromRedemption wrote:
I feel your pain. I had to haul my Rayquaza mascot suit on the T with me. I fit most of him into a very large suitcase, but his head isn't not meant for squishing and stuffing so I had to carry it under my arm, which the looks I got from having a dragon's head tucked nicely under my arm was funny.
Honestly, I do love the looks, especially when people ask "What're you supposed to be?" or just the kids that look at you with interest and amazement, that this teen/adult is wearing a costume and it's not Halloween.

I wish I could stuff Charlotte in a suitcase, honestly! It would be must easier to lug her around, lol, but that is pretty awesome. Carrying a dragon's head under your arm, looking like "Oh, it's just another day at the office." Brilliant. =D
2011: Theresa (Fable II, Fable III) (Fri, Sun)/OC Post-Apocalyptic Pokemon Trainer (Sat)
2012: Charlotte's Tumor Form v. 1 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) (All)
2013: Charlotte's Tumor Form v. 1 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) (All)
2014: Projected: Dead!Mami in Charlotte Hoodie (Puella Magi Madoka Magica), Tsukimi and Clara(Princess Jellyfish)
Qu-ko
Veteran Poster

Post by Qu-ko »

Also, I feel I should mention that people going to work in costume (say if they work as a Ben Franklin character in Boston, or are headed to a party or a sports game or something) is not at all unheard of on the T. It's amazing the sights you can see there sometimes.
Revan_Deschain
Expert Poster

Post by Revan_Deschain »

As a native Bostonian, the assortment of weirdos you see on the T is incredible even outside of con weekends. A couple of green-haired kids isn't going to freak anyone out that much.

That being said, I have noticed that some con-goers get a little bit too rowdy on the T. Most people are just trying to get home from work and have a relaxing train ride with minimal hub-bub. Try to respect that as much as possible. This goes especially for our younger members and out of towners. If you're with a large group, please try and stay quiet, don't swing on the poles etc. Just the stuff that goes without saying I guess, yet I see it every year. Also, give your seats up for people who need it - this one goes for everyone. :P
AB 2017
Friday & Saturday:
Big Boss [TUXEDO]
Sunday:
The Revanchist
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Qu-ko wrote:Also, I feel I should mention that people going to work in costume (say if they work as a Ben Franklin character in Boston, or are headed to a party or a sports game or something) is not at all unheard of on the T. It's amazing the sights you can see there sometimes.
You are not lying there. I remember seeing once on the T (bus mind you) of two people dressed with a red Guard jacket and Rainbow Afro Hair. Speaking of rainbow afros, here is a good example at Government Center.
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries