Hotel Deposit?

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Bellaluna
Getting the hang of this...

Hotel Deposit?

Post by Bellaluna »

Hey I was just wondering if anyone has run into the same problem as me. I reserved my hotel room at the Sheraton a while back and I got the e-mail confirmation but it said that:

"USD 190.00 deposit is due on Mon, Jan 26, 2009 and will be charged to the credit card provided."

But nothing has been charged to my card. Has anyone else had this problem?
Lonesurvivor
Determined Poster

Hotel Deposit?

Post by Lonesurvivor »

Yea i have too. Earlier this month i called Sheraton HQ about the deposit, and it was explained to me that the $190 will be taken out btwn the end of April to the begining of May. So its best to keep the amount in your account from April 26 - May 9. They didn't give me an exact date :( .
AB 2013
Col. Roy Mustang (FMA)
Leon Scott Kennedy (Resident Evil Series)
Dib (Invader Zim)
Bellaluna
Getting the hang of this...

Hotel Deposit?

Post by Bellaluna »

Great. Thanks so much for letting me know. It was really confusing me for a bit.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Hotel Deposit?

Post by basharoftheages »

Most hotels have items in their fine print suggesting that they can taken an initial deposit from your credit card ahead of time if they deem it necessary. Prior business with the hotel, the hotel's financial situation, the time frame's risk factors (i.e. how many people they expect to drop out at the last minute and how much of a demand there is for the time frame in question), and indicators of your credit level (i.e. if you have a platinum AMEX card, they're not going to consider you a risk) are all taken into account as to whether or not they'll actually do that.

Since this is a crowded weekend in Boston (note the fact that many people have posted that they're finding hotels completely booked already) and we're in a part of Boston with $300+ a night hotels, the hotels are potentially loosing a lot of money if you decide to cancel your reservation just before the con. They want to get something out of you if you do and "hook you in" so you don't decide to change your mind.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)