Things I learned from Anime Boston 2011

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2011.
starwolf8989
Expert Poster

Things I learned from Anime Boston 2011

Post by starwolf8989 »

Hey guys,
So usually every year, during or after AB, I make a list of things I learned or need to remember for next years convention.
Here's some of the things I jotted down:
[From 2010's con:]
- Even though a panel sounds good, they might not be...
- Book a room earlier!
- Request time off also the day before the con,
- Know what you want to spend your money on,
- Make back up plans,
- Go to the Dances,
[From 2011's Con:]
- Your time management skills suck, give yourself 20 mins travel time,
- Mealtimes are an hour minimum!
- have some sort of antibacterial spray/liquid,
- create multiple budgets; food, goodies, emergency, etc...,
- rethink of the snacks!
- food court sucks and is pricey, bring better food for meals,
- Volunteering is easy, finding time to do it is hard. Try not to get a crash space if you can't do a minimum of 14 hours!
- If you do volunteer, just focus solely on just volunteering,
- save money & create a better budget,
- buy some art? Something you like...

So what have you learned, remembered, want to do different for next years con?
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Re: Things I learned from Anime Boston 2011

Post by royalbakaness »

I like this! Things I learned, let's see...
-assume that I am going to get sick so bring cough drops, honey, etc. so I don't have to steal them from my friend.
-be sure my brother brings his own bag so I'm not constantly holding his stuff.
-keep track of my water bottle so as not to lose it (still haven't found one as good as that free Newbury Comics one)
-include foundation in my cosplay make-up
-spend more time in the Artist's Alley
-bring a comb for my wigs
Always learning!!!
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), casual steampunk
RayneDeanZ
Expert Poster

Post by RayneDeanZ »

This is gonna end up a really cool thread:
1: Being a Xion fanboy is hazardous to my health.
2: Your friends can get you a picture with your favorite Batman villain.
3: Never cosplay as a character who is in multiple versions of an anime without a cheat sheet.
4: NEVER... FORGET... TO GET... THAT GUY WHO YOU WAITED IN LINE WITH FOR AN HOUR TO SEE THE COSPLAY DATING GAME'S... NAME!!!! (Still kicking myself for this)
5: MANSTY IS SCARIER THAN YOUR FRIENDS MAKE HIM OUT TO BE!!!!
Last edited by RayneDeanZ on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Been coming since 2011

Anime Boston 2017:
Mastermind!Chihiro Fujisaki (Dangan Ronpa)
Makoto Naegi (Dangan Ronpa)

Anime Boston 2018:
Shintaro Kisaragi (Kagerou Project)
Yasuke Matsuda (Dangan Ronpa)
Kiki (Kiki’s Delivery Service)

AB 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts)

AB 2022:
Kazuichi Souda (Danganronpa)

AB 2023:
Chrissii
Determined Poster

Post by Chrissii »

This isn't necessarily all from 2011, but just in general things I've learned at Anime Boston over the years..

-Always, ALWAYS check prices in dealer's room tables against eachother. If there's more than one of an item and you can risk the wait, anyways.
-Wings do not belong in the Artist's Alley, the walkways are too narrow and people get hit in the face/can't see around you. Go there when you aren't in cosplay if you can help it to be courteous.
-Prints/artwork will likely get damaged being carried around. Bring a flat bag (like a laptop bag,) or make a special trip out-of-cosplay for shopping to bring right back to your room.
-There is no such thing as good Byakuya Kuchiki cosplay.
-Alot of panels feel similar to the Chris Farley Show on SNL. "Remember when that happened..? That was really cool.."
-The extra cost of staying at the Sheraton is completely worth it for the convenience factor.
-...Especially when you are wearing authentic hakama, which WILL require someone to help you get them on properly.
-It's okay for the Naruto photoshoot to be loud outside a panel room, but when the Bleach crew shows up they get shuffled all around the world by security.
-The Cosplay Dating Game is made exponentially funnier by Ash Ketchum.
-The room used for Karaoke is simply awful for it.
-Bring a spritzer of cool water with you if your cosplay is heavy/hot.
-Snacks in the hotel room are an absolute must.

I'm sure I'll think of more...
Proudly attending Anime Boston since 2005!

2007: Haruhi Suzumiya (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
2008 & 2009: Dawn (Pokémon Diamond & Pearl)
2010: Byakuya Kuchiki hoodie (Bleach)
2011: Rukia Kuchiki (Bleach)
2012: Grell Sutcliff (Black Butler)
2013: Vice Captain Rukia Kuchiki (Bleach)
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

Chrissii wrote:-Alot of panels feel similar to the Chris Farley Show on SNL. "Remember when that happened..? That was really cool.."
Ha, when I read that I nearly burst out laughing. I haven't attended a panel like that, but ones I was slightly interested in but didn't end up going to were like that, or so I heard from those who did go.
More things I've learned:
-the thought of losing my badge is as terrifying as losing my wallet, so I should always check my person to be sure it's still there.
-if I dress up as a cute, cuddly animal (cabbit or a cat in 2011), I should expect to get patted and hugged
-always be aware of my tail or long ears when on the escalator (I'm always afraid of getting them caught)
-just because my phone is at its highest volume AND on vibrate, doesn't mean I will hear it in the crowded hallways
-losing my voice makes it almost impossible to ask people for pictures
-cosplay court case is AWESOME
I'm sure more will pop into my head...
Icchysgirl
Veteran Poster

Post by Icchysgirl »

Haha this will be my fifth year and I'm still learning new things
-ALWAYS check the bathroom you enter is actually the one you want, do not base in on who is walking in and out
-Make sure your props dont have anything innapropriate on them before leaving ... o.o skateboard -shudder-
-Allow yourself lots of time to get ready for the formal dance even if your date hates you for it
-NEVER remove my badge ... I lose it at least once every con but end up finding it after an hour
-Medication and Juice are my best friends
-Never let someone pass you in a line because they ALWAYS have friends ... ALWAYS
-Yelling in the halls is annoying ... fun for the first few times but never again
-They have a church next to the convention center! So you can say you've been
-It is impossible to remove binding that zips behind you ... have a friend help!
-Formal dance lessons are both fun and informative!!
Sometimes my motorcycle just doesn't work ...
Sometimes I don't draw the right cards ...
And sometimes I have a man crush on Yugi
Plans for 2014 - Female Yusei
pumptothekin
Getting the hang of this...

Post by pumptothekin »

This is an awesome idea! So here it goes:
1.) If you are cosplaying a popular character, add an additional 20 minutes to the time you agree to meet your mom at the Cheesecake Factory. Or you might regret it.
2.) 1.2 meter long wigs are a pain. And take a good half an hour of combing before a perfectionist will be mildly satisfied with them.
3.) That panel on Friday night that you really, really want to go to? Yeah, well eveyone else does too. Get in line at least an hour in advance.
4.) Predetermine poses for cosplay photos. Ugh, I will never not do this ever again.
5.) Cell phones are super ineffective in the Dealer's room. Just try not to get separated.
6.) Exchange names/email with all the awesome people you meet. I regret this probably more than anything.
7.) Go to the dance. And stay the whole time. Actually, go to both the dances!
Pretty basic stuff but I'm slowly getting the hang of it! :D
Chrissii
Determined Poster

Post by Chrissii »

I'm sad this thread isn't getting as much attention as it should be; It's so great! Here, I'll add some more of my tips & tricks & input... xD

-If you get in an elevator to go back to your room at 1 or 2 in the morning and two guys are just standing ominously in the corners, don't panic; You probably just entered the Party Elevator.
-If you don't care where you sit, you can usually get into the bigger events once the lines have been seated.
-It's entirely normal to see a guy with a horsehead casually sitting and reading the newspaper on a bench in the hall.
-Every year, more people think yelling "THE GAME" and "MARCO ... POLO" at the top of their lungs is something new, hilarious and exciting to do. It isn't.
-Always give high-fives to people going down the escalator next to you as you're going up (and vice-versa.)
-There is almost literally no cell phone signal in the Dealer's Room. If you are the type to spazzily bolt between tables ogling the figures and plushies (like I am,) make specific plans on where to meet back up with your friends after before going in.
-If you're of the proper age, absolutely go to the Hentai Dubbing (and Cosplay Burlesque, if they come back.) It's not overrated, it's completely hilarious.
-Save a little money and treat yourself to a GOOD meal that isn't Food Court food at least once! All that fast food is bad for you!

Definitely going to second pumptothekin on a couple as well: Absolutely plan out your cosplay photo poses (and try to have more than one if you can, so you have a variety to see later) and exchange contact info with friends you make!

MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Things I have learned:
-Don't be afraid to be a walking Rite Aid. I always end up carrying a wide variety of medicines for every occasion and have come to people's rescue more than once. I usually carry allergy medicine, ibuprofen, some form of cold medicine usually Mucinex, hand sanitizer, hand lotion, stomach medication (Tums or chewable Pepto).
-ALWAYS make sure someone knows where you are. When you're 5'2" it's easy to get lost in the crowd.
-Plan meet up places with your friends
-Safety in numbers, folks
-If you need to stop to regroup or look at a map/events schedule choose somewhere less crowded where you aren't blocking traffic
-Getting autographs are completely pointless (I don't even try anymore)
-Budget out your money so you can still eat on Sunday...and get home.
-Be patient
-Escalators are your friend

I think that's about it for now but I'm sure there are more I can think of later. Really, these are pretty much the rules I live by at every convention I go to.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

I agree, this topic needs more attention:
-Watching anime with a large group of other anime fans is a great experience and often makes things a lot funnier
-wear a coat even if your outfit doesn't require one because outdoor photoshoots are COLD
-photoshoots are awesome, especially when you are able to participate in them
-ALWAYS charge your camera battery every night (I haven't experienced a dead battery yet, as I am very strict with this rule!)
-make a checklist for each day of the con before you leave so you don't forget anything
-the Dealer's Room gets old fast (at least for me)
-check that your camera is on picture mode, not video mode, when you are trying to photograph someone
Mmmm, will try to think of more...
HeavenlyAnime
Expert Poster

Post by HeavenlyAnime »

Well i learned a few things from anime boston 2011

well i learned to have some snacks and water on hand (being dehydrated and hungry will ruin your experince)

make sure you cell phone is fully recharged ( its A LOT more convenient)

be more diverse when going to panels ( you might learn a few new things)

have a camra with you to take amazing pics i didnt have a camra last year
i am a calm yet random fanboy
mop
Veteran Poster

Post by mop »

royalbakaness wrote:I agree, this topic needs more attention:
-Watching anime with a large group of other anime fans is a great experience and often makes things a lot funnier
-wear a coat even if your outfit doesn't require one because outdoor photoshoots are COLD
-photoshoots are awesome, especially when you are able to participate in them
-ALWAYS charge your camera battery every night (I haven't experienced a dead battery yet, as I am very strict with this rule!)
-make a checklist for each day of the con before you leave so you don't forget anything
-the Dealer's Room gets old fast (at least for me)
-check that your camera is on picture mode, not video mode, when you are trying to photograph someone
Mmmm, will try to think of more...
And to add,
-Bring a second, fully charged battery. And quite possibly a second memory card. In my experience, video is ridiculous on my camera in both battery power and memory space. I went through a 16 gig memory card in the course of three hours.
-Don't arrive just on time to the anime screenings, if you can help it, especially with the more popular series. You're not likely to get a decent seat that way.
"one by one, we are together, we fall together."

✧·˚. 2019:
Eiki Shiki (Touhou Project)
Katsura Kotarou (Gintama)
White Mage (Final Fantasy)

✧·˚. 2018:
Juvia Lockser (Fairy Tail)
Komachi Onozuka (Touhou Project)
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

shyranelle wrote:And to add,
-Bring a second, fully charged battery. And quite possibly a second memory card. In my experience, video is ridiculous on my camera in both battery power and memory space. I went through a 16 gig memory card in the course of three hours.
I agree. I don't use a lot of video, but I would like to take more, so my plan this year is to have several memory cards.
shyranelle wrote:-Don't arrive just on time to the anime screenings, if you can help it, especially with the more popular series. You're not likely to get a decent seat that way.
YES!!! Got seats for Hetalia, but should have gotten there earlier...
bookishfreak
Experienced Poster

Post by bookishfreak »

Bring aspirin! In the Tatum autograph line, my friend got a terrible migraine and we didn't have anything to help her. It was awful.
Chrissii
Determined Poster

Post by Chrissii »

More tips from an oldbie~

-Bring medicine! Bring things in tablet form and in ziploc bags to save space. (I recommend having Tums and Advil/Aspirin on hand all the time!)
-If you have cosplay, bring your own cushioned hangers to hang them up in the closet with. The wood ones in the hotel aren't really made for costumes.
-If you use your cellphone as a camera for stills and video, don't expect to have any battery left past the afternoon.
-Don't punch a character you're mad at in the face, even if you think you're joking around and doing it lightly. If you're *ahem*.. a bigger person, you might not realize your own strength. Plus it's just really, really awkward and off-putting. (You would think this goes without saying, but no, I can say as a firsthand witness that it does not.)
-If you stay at the Sheraton, you can plug your iPod into the alarm clock to use as a radio! I didn't know this ahead of time and lugged my own iPod stereo. Putting on some anime/J-Pop music makes for a great way to get pumped while getting ready in the morning!
-Definitely bring your Nintendo 3DS if you've got one. I got all kinds of StreetPass last year, even when it was just sitting in the hotel room to recharge! (By the way, if anyone would like to exchange 3DS Friend Codes with me, feel free to hit me up via PM. ^^)

Does anyone else think this should be re-named to a "Things I Learned at Anime Boston" thread and moved to General for people who might be new to conventions? There's an awful lot of great insight and tips from veterans in here, I think! Maybe a mod could consider it? :)

SpaceKappa
Experienced Poster

Post by SpaceKappa »

I was the one who got punched in the face because someone didn't like my character. It was not good times.
AB '08: Ethan (Pokémon Gold & Silver)
AB '09: Ethan (Pokémon Gold & Silver)
AB '10: Toushirou Hitsugaya hoodie (Bleach)
AB '11: Gin Ichimaru - Hueco Mundo outfit (Bleach)
AB '12: Gin Ichimaru - Hueco Mundo outfit (Bleach)

AB '13: Captain Kensei Muguruma (Bleach)
http://www.pkbloggin.net
bookishfreak
Experienced Poster

Post by bookishfreak »

OMG That's horrible!! Were you okay?? Who would do that?!?!?
SpaceKappa
Experienced Poster

Post by SpaceKappa »

Haha, it was an interesting story. My wife and I were dressed as Rukia and Gin from Bleach and we had stopped to talk to a couple of people who wanted our picture. It was a fine conversation until the girl said "Oh yeah, this is for *Bleach spoiler*!" and punched me in the jaw. I think she MEANT for it to be playful but didn't know her own strength because I was definitely knocked back by it (I staggered but didn't fall!).

So we kinda ended the conversation and walked away. >_>

MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

SpaceKappa wrote:Haha, it was an interesting story. My wife and I were dressed as Rukia and Gin from Bleach and we had stopped to talk to a couple of people who wanted our picture. It was a fine conversation until the girl said "Oh yeah, this is for *Bleach spoiler*!" and punched me in the jaw. I think she MEANT for it to be playful but didn't know her own strength because I was definitely knocked back by it (I staggered but didn't fall!).

So we kinda ended the conversation and walked away. >_>
Not cool not cool at all! Joking or not that's never a good idea.

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
bookishfreak
Experienced Poster

Post by bookishfreak »

It does NOT take much to break or at least seriously hurt a jaw! That is NOT cool! At all!
RingoDeathStarr
Veteran Poster

Post by RingoDeathStarr »

Chrissii wrote: -There is almost literally no cell phone signal in the Dealer's Room. If you are the type to spazzily bolt between tables ogling the figures and plushies (like I am,) make specific plans on where to meet back up with your friends after before going in.
-make sure your friends (or in my case, brother) knows the layout of the room.
--It took nearly an hour to find my brother in the dealers room because he kept getting lost.

-Order out over the phone if you don't have an internet connection in your hotel room
--We ended up getting two orders because our tethered internet disconnected the first time.

-Make sure you emphasize you're in the Hilton and not the Sheraton when ordering pizza.
--Our delivery guy went to the Sheraton. Good thing we accidentally ordered twice so we got our pizza already.

-Bring slippers

-Bring 10 cans of monster. 4 Friday, 4 Saturday, 2 Sunday
Is it spring yet?
SpaceKappa
Experienced Poster

Post by SpaceKappa »

RingoDeathStarr wrote:-Bring 10 cans of monster. 4 Friday, 4 Saturday, 2 Sunday
No offense, but that's a REALLY bad idea. Energy drinks aren't good for you anyway, and that's if you have ONE a day. Having that many is a surefire way to make yourself VERY sick.

Water, water, water, WATER.

RingoDeathStarr
Veteran Poster

SpaceKappa wrote:
No offense, but that's a REALLY bad idea. Energy drinks aren't good for you anyway, and that's if you have ONE a day. Having that many is a surefire way to make yourself VERY sick.

I have one every day. Sometimes two and I'm fine. I drink Absolutely Zero and I don't drink soda. I drink water, juice, and monster. Monster is my alternative soda sure it has more caffeine than a mountain dew but it's got vitamins in it. I'm not here to argue about my choice of diet, though.
Is it spring yet?
SpaceKappa
Experienced Poster

Post by SpaceKappa »

Hey, if it works for you, more power to you! I'm certainly not here to argue about how your body works. :) I, personally, would NOT recommend to strangers that they drink that much, though. With all of the other things that we put our bodies through during a con (poor diet, increased fatigue, exposure to a lot of people and their exotic diseases) drinking four Monsters a day could get someone VERY sick.

ErinErin
Expert Poster

Post by ErinErin »

I love topics like this and I agree that moving to a general forum could be beneficial to other con-goers.

Here's what I learned from attending AB (and anime cons in general):
-Take the T to the Prudential stop not the Hynes stop, it's so much easier to access the hotel and convention center especially when dragging luggage around
-PARTY-VATOR!
-Line up for panels in advance, 2011 was the first time I ever got shut out of a panel for not arriving an hour early (total inconvenience though)
-If you don't get into or completely miss an event, attend something you wouldn't otherwise attend at the same time, you may find out about something you never knew you'd like
-Order the chicken katsu curry at Wagamama
-Stop by the Shaw's across the street Thursday or during down time Friday and stock up on snacks and cheap eats to keep in your hotel room (I fly to Boston so bringing stuff from home is out). They even have a liquor store inside for those of us that are 21+
-Avoid the Dunkin Donuts in the Pru at all costs in the morning, it gets waaaay too crowded with everyone looking for cheap breakfast
-Don't depend entirely on a credit/debit card, have some cash on hand as most artists in AA will only accept cash
-When collecting $ from your hotel roommates, include the housekeeping tip in the total so you don't accidentally jip the houskeeping staff when you leave
-On that note, collect hotel $ either before con or the first day so no one in your group accidentally spends all their money at the con leaving you to cover the hotel bill
-Consult the convention map before making plans to meet someone somewhere as room numbers and event spaces could change from year to year and make sure everyone in your group can read/understand the map/convention layout
-Don't assume everyone wants a hug/high-five/pose in a certain way for a photo

That's all I can think of for now :)
SpaceKappa
Experienced Poster

Post by SpaceKappa »

ErinErin wrote:-Order the chicken katsu curry at Wagamama
This a thousand times!

You should really treat yourself and spend a little extra money for dinner at Wagamama at some point. Their food is fresh and super tasty, and hey, it's Japanese so it fits the theme of the weekend.

RingoDeathStarr
Veteran Poster

-Stay close to the walls when getting your picture taken. Staff doesn't like you posing on the escalator.
Is it spring yet?
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

RingoDeathStarr wrote:-Stay close to the walls when getting your picture taken. Staff doesn't like you posing on the escalator.
This. Add to that: DON'T stop in the middle of the hallway to take pictures, chat, etc. I'm sure I've done it myself, but I try very hard to move over to the side so as not to clog the hallways. And if people ask for my picture, I try to redirect us to the side. It causes a lot less confusion and makes people less irritable.
bookishfreak
Experienced Poster

Post by bookishfreak »

Read the schedule out thoroughly. My friends and I didn't do this last year, so we had to keep on checking it and we missed a lot of really cool panels. This year, we're gonna bring highlighters and seriously make a list of what we want to see.
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

bookishfreak wrote:Read the schedule out thoroughly. My friends and I didn't do this last year, so we had to keep on checking it and we missed a lot of really cool panels. This year, we're gonna bring highlighters and seriously make a list of what we want to see.
Hmm I usually just circle with pen but I like the highlight idea more. It will stand out more so I'll be able to see exactly what we want to see and when. Cool idea I think I might color code like 1st option 2nd option...thanks for the idea.

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

This is applicable for most ABs but AB11 in particular:

1. 3G often works better in the Convention Center than Wi-Fi.
2. If your cell phone breaks down for any reason, immediately take it to the nearest carrier store (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile etc...). If you act fast, you can save it.
3. Keep a credit card on standby in case of emergencies.
4. There's nothing wrong with taking a nap.
5. Going out into the hall in long underwear is the same as going out into the hall in regular underwear (don't ask).
6. Rolling Backpacks do not work well, especially in the Dealer's Room.
7. If you're jonesing for Asian cuisine, better to avoid the sushi store in the food court. Actually, their sushi is really good but the infinite long line is not worth it.
8. If you feel overwhelmed you can always walk the Prudential Center or go to one of the many bars outside the Hynes Center.
9. Call home at least once a day lest your mother starts to panic.
10. Internet in hotel room is expensive, use 3G for cells or the Wi-Fi in the lobby.
FarFromRedemption
Dedicated Poster

Post by FarFromRedemption »

1. If your in the position of asking questions in the Dating Game you will be hit with something at some point.
2. Hotel Bathrooms are great places for photos...and showers just not at the same time.
3. Going as Tamaki Suoh and Princess Peach to the Shaw's across from the hotel will earn you stares as well as aww's when you offer to pay for the beautiful Princess's items.
4. Youhave to speak really slowly and clearly to the Volunteers because some don't understand english.
5. You can make a girl flush and squeal simply by getting on one knee and holding her hand while someone takes a picture.
6. I'm a "Cheeky Young Lad"
7. You can fit two Noah's under Peach's skirt at one time
8. I will run away from Orange Chicken

Think thats about it for me.
Potential Cosplays for 2022
Ban (The Seven Deadly Sins)
Archon Rex Lapis/Zhongli (Genshin Impact)
Nikaido (DoroheDoro) *maybe*
nightmareman00
Veteran Poster

Post by nightmareman00 »

Learnt this last year which is why I booked a room this year
Never try and sleep in your car parked in a parking garage that's
Next to a pub lol
RayneDeanZ
Expert Poster

Post by RayneDeanZ »

I came up with another set of things I learned:

1. When your parents give you 50 bucks to cover the day's expenses, don't burn it all in the dealer's room unless you're ok with not eating that day.
2. PLAN COSPLAYS AHEAD AND DON'T PROCRASTINATE!!! Guess who's scrambling to get his Vexen Cosplay done. *Points at self*
3. Getting a room for Anime Boston in the Sheraton is easier if you split it with friend and pay 15 dollars a month.
4. Being the only one of your friends who are younger than 18, expect to hear them planning to do things you can't.
5. Make your friends take their medication. If they get fussy, you can end up going from three people on Saturday, to all alone on Sunday. *True Story*
6. An hour early for all panels is the greatest idea you can implement. Just... be prepared to be alone if you go to a panel that isn't popular at all.
7. WATER WATER WATER WATER!! Especially if you have heavy or think outfits.
8. Never, EVER, EVER just sit around. If you have nothing you wanted to go to, go to something you're not as interested in.
9. If your shy or, like me, can't talk to strangers without a script, prepare to have your shell smashed all the time.
10. There is no such thing as stranger danger, unless someone is asking you away from the con. If they just want to talk while waiting outside a panel, then talk.
11. Haters gonna hate. If someone calls you a freak on the streets as you go to the food court or to the con, then ignore it. They just ain't cool enough.
Been coming since 2011

Anime Boston 2017:
Mastermind!Chihiro Fujisaki (Dangan Ronpa)
Makoto Naegi (Dangan Ronpa)

Anime Boston 2018:
Shintaro Kisaragi (Kagerou Project)
Yasuke Matsuda (Dangan Ronpa)

AB 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts)

AB 2022:

AB 2023:
blazetj
I'm new!

Post by blazetj »

do not go in the service elevator it might brake on you and be the scariest moment of your life.
the dance is one of the best experiences.
shikyu karite
I'm new!

Post by shikyu karite »

In my four to five years going I never thought I would need to post my "secret" manual to surviving the convention.
1. make sure you have 50-100 extra dollars in the budget.
2. yes.... the dance that was once called the "dance" is perfectly normal,*cough* hehe normal i say? more like you get awesome dance time with any cosplayer you want! so heck yeah!!!
3.the yaoi fairy loves me >.>
4. collars are a sign of "oh look i need someone to tackle me"
5. yelling in a big room to seem cool, well ... as others said, dont do it! trust me, firt year experience.... lost my voice >.<
6. It is a bad idea to go into a hot tub alone with the storm troopers >.> *shifty eyes*
7. not all neko's are cute and cudleable some are evil >.> just like the person i stuck by the whole day last year ^.^
8. party boy ... when he says "you going to be on youtube...." worry.... seriously WORRY!!!
9. try not to step on them lil peoples if you are 6'0" or taller.
10. if you plan on being ichigo or someone of the sort, plan on being tackled if you are outside of security range.... this includes food court, random people in the elevator, on the street, and such.
11. the courtyard is soo fun ^.^
12. hakey sack..... need i say more? we shall return in the game room!
13. it is perfectly normal for people to stare, so stare back in all the awkward ways you can ^.^
14. Time consuming lines.... need i say more? ((still not as bad as line con.... plus THAT line WAS the convention basically ^.^))
15. Shiny things will distract you.... trust me >.<
Starwind
Expert Poster

Post by Starwind »

Not that I've done this, but don't talk to the voice actors as if you're their friend. I may do that on Facebook, but I'm not going to suddenly follow Richard Epcar around face-to-face and go out to dinner with him while talking about Bobobobo or whatever. I know someone who would probably do that.
2006: State Alchemist from FMA
2011: Red Ranger from MMPR
2012: Red Ranger from MMPR
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Hmm, what to say...

1. Plan ahead when travelling on the MBTA. Trust me, do some practice runs if you need to so that you can know how long the travel is.
2. In lite of what happened yesterday, have a backup plan if something goes wrong with traveling. Example is that Prudential stop on the E line is closed today so stop at Hynes, Copley, or Back Bay.
3. Obtain a schedule before the convention starts to plan your day(s). It usually can be downloaded from AB's website when it is finalized.
4. Carry a backpack if you are not cosplaying. Trust me, I came in with an empty pack and left with a full pack. It was also useful when carrying my camera.
5. If taking pictures from a phone, make sure the room lighting is well lit. The darker the room, the worse the picture becomes.
6. If you are going to record the AMVs when the winners are announced, make sure you are quite the distance from the speakers. Mics will distort bass if it is too close to the source.
7. For photographers, make sure you know how to focus your device. On phones, it's usually tapping the screen before pressing the shoot button. On regular cameras, it using the half press to focus followed by a full press to shoot.
8. To add to 7, make sure you have a steady hand. Nothing worse than taking a shot to find out it is completely blurry.
9. Feel free to talk to both the con-goers and non con-goers. You may either learn something or teach something.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
AshSkye
Experienced Poster

Post by AshSkye »

SpaceKappa wrote:

Yeah I agree water is good.
RingoDeathStarr
Veteran Poster

-Test your cosplay shoes out before hand.
I wore blue converse last year and after a whole day of walking I had to go buy slippers from the dealers room!
Which reminds me, I need bigger boots. @_@
I went on vacation and wore them around Savannah, GA and that was only a couple hours and my feet were killing me. x_o then I wore my danskin shapeups to Disney and I thought I'd be fine... Nope.
Is it spring yet?
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

RingoDeathStarr wrote: I wore blue converse last year and after a whole day of walking I had to go buy slippers from the dealers room!
Which reminds me, I need bigger boots. @_@
This is a fear of mine, and although I have been wearing my shoes for each outfit while walking a lot, I am still planning on bringing a pair of shoes I know are comfortable in case my feet need a rest.
On this note, if you are wearing contacts for vision, bring your spare ones as well as your glasses. I usually change out of my contacts later in the night because my eyes are just too tired. Once night falls, comfort is more of a concern for me...
RingoDeathStarr
Veteran Poster

I'm sort of scared about wearing my boots. They didn't give me blisters while walking around the city but my comfort shoes did while walking in Disney World. Just in case I'm packing some small slip ons.
Is it spring yet?
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

Yeah, it's weird with shoes. I've had similar experiences where I thought the shoes would be comfortable and then I got blisters @_@
That's why I totally agree with the testing this.
I always bring band-aids, too, and sometimes if I put one on an area that's sore, I can still manage to walk around.
RingoDeathStarr
Veteran Poster

Oh totally. My foot was made of bandaids last year. My boyfriend thinks I'm ridiculous.
Also

-Bring Bandaids. HA!
Is it spring yet?