Melody Ball

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2011.
kratos1010
AB Alumni

Melody Ball

Post by kratos1010 »

I had a great time at AB this year! It was my first time going to the formal ball, but I had a great time. I really enjoyed dancing with so many different people :D I was dressed as Shizuo from Durarara, in case anyone remembers me.
Octopusfan13
Getting the hang of this...

Melody Ball

Post by Octopusfan13 »

I really had a great time too! I was Lust in a long dress with my hair pinned up. I was with my younger sister dressed as envy with a blazer and tie. She was with her friends and they didn't dance as much, but I danced with a few peole and one of the instructors taught me to waltz! :laugh: It was my first con and it was really fun to make a formal cosplay with my character!
RobinHood3000

Melody Ball

Post by RobinHood3000 »

Yeah, the Formal Ball is my favorite event every year. I was dressed like my profile pic - really wish I'd gotten the contact info of some of my partners, because this year was an absolute blast. =)
Saeran42
Experienced Poster

Melody Ball

Post by Saeran42 »

^.^ I loved the formal ball this year, so much better than last year and it seemed like there was a lot more room to dance, too! At first I went as Grell (Kuroshitsuji) in a red dress but then I took the wig off (it kept catching on things) and went as just me, in a strapless red dress with a bow on it. I was with the Sebastian and Ciel and random other two guys. I think my favorite part was when they played Waltz for the Moon; my friends and I learned the in-game choreography a while back, so we partnered up and did it while it played. XD

Already planning my gown for next year! ^.^
Plans for 2019!
Ann Takamaki (masquerade art, Persona 5)
Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
Rinoa Heartilly (Final Fantasy VIII)
momoney781
Veteran Poster

Melody Ball

Post by momoney781 »

I really liked it despite my lack of dance skills. My Ezio cosplay was a hit and it was flattering to get asked to dance. My self-esteemed risen :)
Nothing is true, Everything is permitted

AB 11' Ezio Auditore
AB 12' Altair-Assassin's Creed
Kratos- God of War
SSJ Goku- Dragon Ball Z
midnightsiren182
AB Staff

Melody Ball

Post by midnightsiren182 »

I was just happy to get my bf to agree to dance this year-.....even if we probably looked like damn fools shufflinng about.

It was a lovely ball, and the new cieling was super pretty with the lighting.
Lauren Gallo
Programming Ops Staff 2024
AShadowofTruth
Experienced Poster

Melody Ball

Post by AShadowofTruth »

The Melody Ball was definitely my favorite event this year, too. I went as one half of the Hitachiin twins, my older sister being the other half. We had a great time dancing together with our many partners!
I'm really regretting not getting the contact info of more of the people I met there... everyone was so nice! <3
AB08: Kisuke Urahara
AB09: L
AB10: Dr. Stein
AB11: Hikaru Hitachiin
AB12: Twilight Sparkle (Friday, Saturday) / Hikaru Hitachiin (Sunday)

AB13: ???
TheDaMn1DThi3f
Expert Poster

Melody Ball

Post by TheDaMn1DThi3f »

The Melody Ball was so much fun! I was almost was not allowed in cuz i forgot my slacks. :(
So I tried uesing my Ceil dress shorts with long socks and they let me in :)
The music was great and the people were awsome!

Also the 1st year I went. Someone step on my ankle with thir Stiletto shoe! :o!!!
Low and behold it happened again this year lol

But I really don't care cuz everyone was having a good time and so was I :)
2012 - Ceil Phantomhive
2011 - Ceil Phantomhive
2010 - Vault 101 Dweller
2009 - Prince Zuko
LadyFae
AB Alumni

Melody Ball

Post by LadyFae »

[quote=MidnightSiren182]I was just happy to get my bf to agree to dance this year-.....even if we probably looked like damn fools shufflinng about.

It was a lovely ball, and the new cieling was super pretty with the lighting.[/quote]

I may, or may not have gotten pictoral evidence of this Lauren

>.>
<.<
Rebecca Irvin Lee, lady of many hats

Anime Boston Executive Team (GR, Relations, PR, GR) 2002-2008,2013-2016
AB Formal Co-Chair 2006-2009
Ballroom Dance Instructor 2008-2012
21+ Lounge coordinator 2010-2014
NEAS Board Member 2002-2003, 2011-2016
LadyFae
AB Alumni

Melody Ball

Post by LadyFae »

I hope those who came to the dance lesson were able to put some of their new skills to use! I know the floor was pretty packed, but I did see a few of you moving determinedly around the floor :)

Salith
Obsessed Poster

Melody Ball

Post by Salith »

[quote=LadyFae]I hope those who came to the dance lesson were able to put some of their new skills to use! I know the floor was pretty packed, but I did see a few of you moving determinedly around the floor :)[/quote]

I wish I could have gone but my friend and I got there at the time it opened and they stopped letting people in : / (Neither of us could dance ^^; but swaying back and forth pretending we knew what we were doing worked~)

I enjoyed the ball though! :) It was a lot of fun and I certainly hope to attend next year as long as I get the chance to go :)

Also, will photos of the ball be uploaded the the AB pic gallery? I know someone took a picture of my friend and I (we were formal Harley Quinn and Joker).
Naokichan
Veteran Poster

Melody Ball

Post by Naokichan »

I will say that the Melody Ball was one of my favorite things to do. I had gone as Roxas in a long black and white dress with long black gloves and a japanese fan. I went with an Axel that year but even though I had my own Axel, other Axel's came up to me anyway XD
Anime Boston 2016 Cosplays:
Sadness from Inside Out
Ciel Phantomhive from Black Butler
Chat Noir from Miraculous
Modern England from Hetalia

Anime Boston 2017 Cosplays:
Chat Noir from Miraculous
Mei from Overwatch
Pyrrha Nikos school outfit from RWBY
midnightsiren182
AB Staff

Melody Ball

Post by midnightsiren182 »

[quote=LadyFae][quote=MidnightSiren182]I was just happy to get my bf to agree to dance this year-.....even if we probably looked like damn fools shufflinng about.

It was a lovely ball, and the new cieling was super pretty with the lighting.[/quote]

I may, or may not have gotten pictoral evidence of this Lauren

>.>
<.<[/quote]

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I WANNA SEEEEE
Lauren Gallo
Programming Ops Staff 2024
RobinHood3000

Melody Ball

Post by RobinHood3000 »

I didn't make to the lesson this year, but I've ballroom danced before, so hopefully it turned out okay.

I would have liked a little more rumba music, but I was really glad that the VGO quartet didn't play only Viennese (read: fast, to the point of being impractical) waltz this year, it went much better.
Fyrii
Experienced Poster

Melody Ball

Post by Fyrii »

My friend and I were happy to dance because we took formal dance lessons in school earlier this year XD The only sad thing was we didn't know how to tango D: I wish I could have found a Rikku-y dress to cosplay in, but I ended up just wearing a small green one.

Had a small scare though, two of my guy friends were rejected at first because of no shoes and one had no jacket. But a really REALLY nice congoer (again thank you!) lent my other friend his jacket after himself getting rejected for wearing the wrong shoes :[
Previous Cons:
CTCon ‘08
CTCon ‘09
CTCon ‘10

Anime Boston ‘11
CTCon ‘11
Anime Boston ‘12
CTCon ‘12
Another Anime Convention ‘12
trahe
I'm new!

Melody Ball

Post by trahe »

the melody ball was a lot of fun. i wish i could have gotten some contact info with the people i met there it was a blast.
RobinHood3000

Melody Ball

Post by RobinHood3000 »

Heehee, tango's my favorite style. I was so glad they played "Tango: Maureen" and "Por Una Cabeza" (the tango song from Scent of a Woman and True Lies), but I feel like the Masochism Tango would have finished the trio nicely.
Hopallee
AB Staff

Melody Ball

Post by Hopallee »

[quote=RobinHood3000]Heehee, tango's my favorite style. I was so glad they played "Tango: Maureen" and "Por Una Cabeza" (the tango song from Scent of a Woman and True Lies), but I feel like the Masochism Tango would have finished the trio nicely.[/quote]

I totally got fun of for playing Tango Maureen but I stand by it as a good standard tango. Also I worked with VGO this year so that they provided a more "classical set" as they put it and I'm really happy with the results. I'm glad you noticed. I'm glad you guys had a good time, we love running the event and can't wait to get things started for next year.
Hope McChesney
Assistant Director of Programming/ Formal Ball Co-Chair
TheDaMn1DThi3f
Expert Poster

Melody Ball

Post by TheDaMn1DThi3f »

[quote]I totally got fun of for playing Tango Maureen but I stand by it as a good standard tango. Also I worked with VGO this year so that they provided a more "classical set" as they put it and I'm really happy with the results. I'm glad you noticed. I'm glad you guys had a good time, we love running the event and can't wait to get things started for next year[/quote]

ZOMG! When they palyed the Tango Msureen and everyone (including myself) satrted to sing. That was so awsome!
2012 - Ceil Phantomhive
2011 - Ceil Phantomhive
2010 - Vault 101 Dweller
2009 - Prince Zuko
Lathrine
Expert Poster

Melody Ball

Post by Lathrine »

This was my third year at the Ball, and I'm still enjoying myself immensely at it every year! :) Iunno if anyone saw me; I was one of the girls hanging with Xigbar and Axel later on in the evening. I was wearing as long, sparkly red dress. And hello, Envy and Lust farther up in the thread! I popped over to you two for hugs and chatting when I saw you. :'D

Also? Kudos to who ever's idea it was to play Tale As Old As Time! That was one of many small things that totally made the ball for me. <3 Xigbar and I started singing along, then took off for the dance floor to totally pretend we could dance and sing along there. :'D

Seeing as it was this year's Ball that ultimately brought our KH group together, I may start considering that to be our song.
momoney781
Veteran Poster

Melody Ball

Post by momoney781 »

Only issue I had was that at the practice session you guys were at capacity. I went in just to tell my friends I was going somewhere else but I saw at least 10-20 girls sitting down not dancing because they didn't have a partner or were just watching. Which didn't make sense since there was plenty of room to practice at the time.

AB 11' Ezio Auditore
Kratos- God of War
SSJ Goku- Dragon Ball Z
LadyFae
AB Alumni

Melody Ball

Post by LadyFae »

[quote=momoney781]Only issue I had was that at the practice session you guys were at capacity. I went in just to tell my friends I was going somewhere else but I saw at least 10-20 girls sitting down not dancing because they didn't have a partner or were just watching. Which didn't make sense since there was plenty of room to practice at the time. [/quote]

do you mean at the lesson? we didn't really have a practice session :)

we allowed about 120 people into the room, as many as could be feasably taught. The lesson is an entire 90 minutes, so we do start to lose people after a bit. Unfortunately, because it is a lesson with an actual progression, it doesnt make sense for us to let people in as attendees leave - they wouldnt be able to follow along!

I'm very glad the lesson was so popular however, and maybe we'll be able to fit a few more people in next year :)

Salith
Obsessed Poster

Melody Ball

Post by Salith »

[quote=LadyFae][quote=momoney781]Only issue I had was that at the practice session you guys were at capacity. I went in just to tell my friends I was going somewhere else but I saw at least 10-20 girls sitting down not dancing because they didn't have a partner or were just watching. Which didn't make sense since there was plenty of room to practice at the time. [/quote]

do you mean at the lesson? we didn't really have a practice session :)

we allowed about 120 people into the room, as many as could be feasably taught. The lesson is an entire 90 minutes, so we do start to lose people after a bit. Unfortunately, because it is a lesson with an actual progression, it doesnt make sense for us to let people in as attendees leave - they wouldnt be able to follow along!

I'm very glad the lesson was so popular however, and maybe we'll be able to fit a few more people in next year :)[/quote]

Perhaps if possible create two lesson times? One in the morning, then one in the afternoon?
Sanctjud
AB Alumni

Melody Ball

Post by Sanctjud »

I like the idea of an earlier class.
An issue is the space.

Looking at the schedule that day, there is time available between 10:00am to 12:30pm before the Mock Combat.

But, there is the issue of that cutting into the time for those of us who are working on putting things together for the actual Ball that time.

IIRC, there was an informal dance lesson taking place outside of the Grand Ballroom...not sure where I'm going with that idea though.

I like the idea of getting contact info for all the peeps I got to dance with.

I stopped counting the number of lovely ladies, but I did get to dance with 4 guys, quite interesting.

My favorite song/dance was the Mar Dulce tango.

I also enjoyed seeing other staffers at the ball having fun.
Andrew Lee
Formal Ball Staff 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018!
I highly suggest volunteering for Anime Boston! ^_^
LadyFae
AB Alumni

Melody Ball

Post by LadyFae »

[quote=Sanctjud]I like the idea of an earlier class.

IIRC, there was an informal dance lesson taking place outside of the Grand Ballroom...not sure where I'm going with that idea though.
[/quote]

funny enough, I found out later by chance that the couple leading the impromptu lesson outside were people I know from our own dance studio! I have plans to try and get them more formally involved in the future ;)

we'll have to see about the feasability of a second class earlier in the day. I like the idea in theory! We wont be sure about the feasability of that til a little closer to 2012 though :)

momoney781
Veteran Poster

Melody Ball

Post by momoney781 »

Ok that makes sense. Just saying I really enjoyed the ball but it would've been nice to know the moves. I'll start taking lessons

AB 11' Ezio Auditore
Kratos- God of War
SSJ Goku- Dragon Ball Z
RobinHood3000

Melody Ball

Post by RobinHood3000 »

Well, in all fairness, there are dance hosts/hostesses at the ball who are there to teach if necessary. It never hurts to find someone who looks like they know some moves and ask.