new to anime

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2010.
lb8943
Experienced Poster

new to anime

Post by lb8943 »

hello all...i have never watched anime...but i went to anime boston this year with some friends and had a great time...so i would like to know where should i start in reguards to watching a good series?...i am somewhat interested in full metal alchemist...is that a good series to start with? any help would be appreciated.
Synaizen
Veteran Poster

new to anime

Post by Synaizen »

Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece are the standard shonen(anime made for boys) a lot of people start with nowadays. If you prefer more sappy stuff, Fruits Basket, Ouran High School Host Club, and Kimi ni Todoke are all okay as well. Of course, these aren't anywhere close to the best anime, but they may help in your transition :)
Misakochan
Determined Poster

new to anime

Post by Misakochan »

I would suggest starting with Fullmetal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop.
Both are great shows that have good dubs so you don't need to worry about subtitles yet, and there are not many crazy and confusing references to japanese culture as some other manga and anime. =)
AB 09- Young Link (Majora's Mask)
AB 10- Riza Hawkeye (FMA)
AB 11- Yoko Ritona (Gurren Lagann)
AB 12- Zelda (Skyward Sword)
AB 13- Zelda and Young Link
AB 14- Tetra, Link, Winry, Riza
Nosut
Veteran Poster

new to anime

Post by Nosut »

For you first anime it would depend on what you like to watch. We have it all. Big robots fighting, Little robots fight, People with robot parts fight, well we a lot of robots...... Also other random fighting, Romance stuff, comedy stuff, You name it we got it. Since you are new you may want to start with something that is dubbed so you do not have to deal with subs just yet. I myself enjoy subs more but I have also watched way to much that I dont really have a choice but to watch stuff with subs lol. Tell us what type of stuff you like and we can give you even more ideas on what to watch.
kalevinrajo
Getting the hang of this...

new to anime

Post by kalevinrajo »

Full Metal Alchemist is a good place to start. It's currently being re-aired in a remake; both series are excellent.

Other than that, it greatly depends on what you're interested in.

a) Sci-fi drama/comedy (think Star Trek/Wars or Firefly, etc): Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star are two good choices. Both have very good English dubs, and Cowboy Bebop has a very American feel (for lack of better term).

b) Giant Robots blowing crap up: Hooooo boy, where to begin...Anime's the birthplace to this, and it's honestly difficult to go wrong. Expect at least one male lead with tendency to do rash yet awesome things. I recommend Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
(Side note: although it's very very good, I'd recommend staying away from the Evangelion series. I love Eva very much, but it is NOT a good choice for your first anime. It's very much the opposite of pretty much every Giant Mecha stereotype ever. We'll leave it at that. But watch it eventually.)

c) Silly Japanese girls doing everyday things (with a hint of awesome): Azumanga Daioh is probably the most well-known of these. There's not usually much of a plot, per se, but some semblance of movement. Expect a somewhat relaxing watch...unless it's the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

d) Spoof/gag/satire/deconstruction shows: Several examples of this. Usually span different genres, and either go for laughs or make a point of lampooning social or entertainment trends or turning them on their head. Usually hilarious (Excel Saga!!!), often completely off-the-wall (Cromartie High School), sometimes dark and morbid (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei), and very rarely not funny at all (Evangelion once again).

e) Popular shows. Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Death Note, etc. Commonly recommended, but can easily come across as overrated or ruined by fangirls. Try it anyways, decide for yourself.

Hmm...I know for a fact I'm missing a lot...
infjeff
Experienced Poster

new to anime

Post by infjeff »

I recommend watching a few Miyazaki films: Spirited Away (my personal gateway anime), Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa they are generally seen as top quality anime. Definitely cover all the bases to get a feel of what your interested in. Here's a few shows you might want to look into.

Trigun
Escaflowne
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Fate/Stay Night
Azumanga Daioh
Gunslinger Girl
Kino's Journey
Kanon
danim
AB Alumni

new to anime

Post by danim »

I second Miyazaki films, especially Spirited Away. It's an amazing film!

FullMetal Alchemist sounds like a good place to start. I would recommend Death Note too. Yes, they are definitely "Popular" and risk being ruined or overdone, but they tend to be popular with more than just avid anime fans so I think they may be a good place to begin in.

I also feel that Ouran High School Host Club is a good one and is dubbed well (I like the dub at least).
lb8943
Experienced Poster

new to anime

Post by lb8943 »

cool thanks everyone i will def take a look into all those...i think i am gonna start with FMA...and prob deathnote..i herd that was good too...and if i end up liking them ill do some more research and see what i like, seems robots are huge in anime huh?..good think i like robots...lol.....anyone got any other favs?
Anime Freak 1234
Veteran Poster

new to anime

Post by Anime Freak 1234 »

If you want to get into some major good anime watch deathnote, afro samurai, bleach, Axis power Hetalia(Go Italy),
kalevinrajo

new to anime

Post by kalevinrajo »

[quote=lb8943].good think i like robots...lol...[/quote]

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Tengen Toppa Gu-*shot*

I feel ashamed that I haven't recommended FLCL yet. It's an anime that lives by the definition of "crazy awesome" in every possible sense. Plus it's very very short, only six episodes.

I remember seeing a list of anime that every 4channer must see...wish I could find that, because it has some very good suggestions on it.
Chieftess Liani

new to anime

Post by Chieftess Liani »

[color:purple]Fushigi Yugi is a oldie, but a goodie. Slayers is also a safe bet if you like adventure/comedy mixed with a bit of sorcery. Ronin Warriors (or Samurai Troopers, going by its original title) was my first anime and I found it easy to watch without being overwhelmed by cultural differences. Although it may be seen as 'cheesy' in the eyes of today's anime fans, it holds a special place in my heart for starting my whole personal experience with the media. :) [/color]
Remember, AB comes and goes, but it'll always be in your heart

I love Roadie! Rest in peace my dear friend

Attendee since 2003, Missed Years: 2004, 2005, 2020, 2021, 2023
lb8943
Experienced Poster

new to anime

Post by lb8943 »

hmm i will have to check those out...yea thats what i want..i dont wanna watch a dumb one and be like yea this sucks...
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

new to anime

Post by kiarrens »

*cough Rurouni Kenshin cough*

(Seriously, guys? NO ONE has suggested this yet?)
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Faceman
AB Executive

new to anime

Post by Faceman »

This thread has deviated from the forum's purpose of discussing events that happened at Anime Boston 2010. For suggestions on anime, I'd try animenewsnetwork.com, animeondvd.com and other such websites.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!