Between then and until Next Year...(CapeCon discussion)

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2010.
Marionette
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Marionette »

Hi Anime Bostonians,

I'm curious. What cons do you attend now that Anime Boston is over? As someone who is from CA and now living in MA, I was fairly used to going to a Convention almost every couple months or so. Lately, I've been wondering about what it would take to get something started on Cape Cod (Possibly a CapeCon?). Its a project I've been thinking about since I've moved here (about 3 1/2 years ago) when I realized the con schedule wasn't as full as I had hoped on the East Coast.

Even if we couldn't get something started this year, what about cosplayer gatherings? Picnics and picture days for people who live in the area?

Your thoughts, please.
stardust462
Determined Poster

Post by stardust462 »

There are usually a couple gatherings in the spring and summer after AB, then sometimes skating in the winter. Check for threads in the Find a Thread section, or on Cosplay.com.

The next cons in New England:
June - PortConMaine, Portland ME
July - ConnectiCon, Hartford CT
October - Another Anime Con, Nashua NH
October - Bakuretsu Con, Colchester (Burlington area) VT

There's also AnimeNEXT in New Jersey in June and New York Comic Con/Anime Fest in New York City in October, if you want to travel a little further.
Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Thank you for the list of events!

Still, I'd like to see if people would be interested in putting something together on the Cape. If enough people had an interest, I'd like to gather a commitee.
ChibiPez
AB Staff

Post by ChibiPez »

Convention wise: The Cape is a poor choice to host anything.

Cosplay picnic wise: Meeh, might as well.
L Pentowski
2024 - Tech Desk
2016 - Tech Desk
2004 -2015 Volunteer's Slave for Life
eidna
Determined Poster

Post by eidna »

[quote=ChibiPez]Convention wise: The Cape is a poor choice to host anything.
[/quote]

This. I love the cape and go there constantly, but to host a con? Unless you find a decent venue(are there any? it's so family-oriented and there's not many hotels with lots of meeting rooms and such) in the dead of winter, I'd venture it to be way too packed to really work well.
AB 2013: 7000 cosplay ideas I'll probably not finish
AB 2012: Normal person :O
AB 2011: Konata Izumi cosplaying Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2010: Cop-out catgirl
AB 2009: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2008: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2007: Suigintou
AB 2006: Chii
AB 2004: Chii
Nosut
Veteran Poster

Post by Nosut »

[quote=eidna][quote=ChibiPez]Convention wise: The Cape is a poor choice to host anything.
[/quote]
in the dead of winter, I'd venture it to be way too packed to really work well.[/quote]

I hope you mean summer. In the dead of winter.....the cape is dead. However this does include hotels as well. There are many that just shut there doors during the winter time as operational cost far exceed any earning during that time. In the middle of summer it is far to packed and far to expensive to do anything large like a con. Considering I had lived on the cape from the age of 2 till 21 I can also tell you that while it might get a decent turn out as there is nothing to do on the cape in the first place there are MANY people that simply dont understand, watch, or care about anime. In my entire schooling I only ever met around 3 people in or around my age group that watched anime. I dont know about the younger crowd that is there but I think starting a con would be a futile effort. I can understand maybe a meet up at say the public library for people that wish to watch anime with others but anything much more then something simply like that I can only see failing.
eidna
Determined Poster

Post by eidna »

[quote=Nosut]

I hope you mean summer. In the dead of winter.....the cape is dead.
[/quote]

No, I meant in the dead of winter would be the only time the cape isn't ridiculously busy.
AB 2013: 7000 cosplay ideas I'll probably not finish
AB 2012: Normal person :O
AB 2011: Konata Izumi cosplaying Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2010: Cop-out catgirl
AB 2009: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2008: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2007: Suigintou
AB 2006: Chii
AB 2004: Chii
acid_fusion51
Veteran Poster

Post by acid_fusion51 »

for hotel wise, winter would be best.
i just dont really know of any places where you could actually host a con. good to keep an eye out, but idk. maybe after scouting and such and by 2012 possibly, but we will have to see
ChibiPez
AB Staff

Post by ChibiPez »

There is pretty much no where that would be able to host this. Your best bet is to get CCCC for a weekend...but that's highly impossible with the year round classes. You would have to see if someone managed to start a group on campus...there wasn't one the last time I was there...and have them start finagling it for you. And the nearest hotel is a bit.

Having lived here for over 20 years, once again I stick to with my "The cape's a bad idea"
L Pentowski
2024 - Tech Desk
2016 - Tech Desk
2004 -2015 Volunteer's Slave for Life
kevinchai

Post by kevinchai »

Aw, why does everybody have to say this is a bad idea? I would totally go to a CapeCon.
Overlord of Anime
Expert Poster

Post by Overlord of Anime »

I would go to CapeCon. It would be probably be more friendly and more personal, too. Easier to meet people.
AB06: Maiden Voyage
AB07: Pocky guy
AB08: Gaara
AB09: Japanaman
AB10: Rex Raptor
AB11: That guy who was always in the elevator
AB13: Smooth Criminal
AB14: Pool's Closed
AB15: Pink Floyd
AB16: Pink Floyd
AB17: Stink Patrol Commander
AB18: Stink Patrol Commander
President Aria
Veteran Poster

Post by President Aria »

[quote=kevinchai]Aw, why does everybody have to say this is a bad idea? I would totally go to a CapeCon.[/quote]

What, you want people to lie? Ok, it would go flawlessly, getting a venue would be a piece of cake, there are tons of places that would be willing and able to host a con.

There ya go.
kevinchai

Post by kevinchai »

Really, you don't have to be all sarcastic and hopeless. I don't expect it to be an amazing success the first year it happens, but we could start small and build up over the years just like any other con. No matter how much gets put together, as long as there's a bunch of people there it could still be fun. Sure there's no Hynes on the Cape, but there are definitely places that could host us.
Marionette

Post by Marionette »

There are a few venues which could be interesting. There are a few places in Hyannis, Pufferbellies, for one, not to mention the Hotel next to it. There is the hotel which is next to the Melody tent (drawing a blank here). Hyannis isn't the only spot either, the Cape has a lot of good hotels. There is always the idea of a Con being half-indoor and half-outoors too. Keep in mind that we'd never be able to reach something of Anime Boston's calibur within the first few years, it'd start out being a relatively small, personal convention where the highlights would be meeting people, photoshoots, some dealers (probably local), smaller contests and the what not.
Nosut
Veteran Poster

Post by Nosut »

[quote=Marionette]Anime Boston's calibur within the first few years[/quote]

It would never be the same size as Anime Boston. Anime Boston is in what is consider a major world hub with an international airport. People come equally from all directions to make it to it. Plus with an actual convention hall and serious money for guests, and everything else that goes into it anything that would be made on cape could be considered a club at best. There is nothing wrong with an anime club. I go to one every month in Duxbury. AB is also hosted by the NEAS which have much more experience at this then most. It is unrealistic to think that the cape will now or ever be capable of having any decent type of "con". Plus all your ideas for hotel are fine....also realize the size on the hotels on the cape are nothing compared to in Boston so even a hotel would be a poor venue. Also to the idea about half inside half outside. How do you plan so support a set date for a "con" if you cant control the weather. The best you would have is a 10 day window to plan it. That or a way to manage the entire outside area you are in is covered since anyone is something like cosplay would most likely not want to ruin it due to rain, Plus any makeup worn by a cosplayer would be ruined as well.
Ficus
AB Staff

Post by Ficus »

[quote=Nosut] I can understand maybe a meet up at say the public library for people that wish to watch anime with others
[/quote]
Interestingly enough, the Eldredge Public Library in Chatham (the middle of the Cape) hosts a quarterly anime gathering called "Got Pocky". It's a small event for the locals with a few video games, manga swap meet, anime screening, cosplay, and snacks. The event has been running for 2 years now and doesnt have that many attendees, but if anyone living in nearby towns wants to come then they're more than welcome.
"Got Pocky"'s purpose isnt to be a con, but it does help with the post-con depression, and it has some great anime fans. It has more stuff than a cosplay picnic, and is inside so the event is rain or shine.
Contact the Eldredge Public Library for information on the next "Got Pocky" coming this summer.
[/shameless plug]
Ashley Shaffer
Cosplay Gatherings and Photosets Staff- 2024
KAIN SLICKER
I'm Special!

Post by KAIN SLICKER »

[quote=AnimeNey]There is also the Cape Codder in Hyannis (with a few hotels around there and right down the street from the mall.)
Also, I'm trying to gain momentum for a cosplay meet up on the Hyannis Green for sometime within the next few months. Check out that thread here. What does everyone think? Even a one day thing, for now, might be worth it. We could all get together; get to know each other a little better since there won't be as many of us as there are at the cons. See where we go from there. *^_^*[/quote]

Hey I responded back to your message --- you've got me seduced for doing a Martha's Vineyard Anime Boston 2010 reunion, and possibly looking into hotels (around Oak Bluffs) that are 100 or 150 bucks a night

Been busy with work, so will post more later
LadyInuyasha

Post by LadyInuyasha »

[color:red]I have a little story that may help inspire you. A few years ago a Club over at the University of West Hartford decided to throw a gathering event for anime and scifi lovers at the university campus for a weekend. As gatherings went on they got bigger, until they became Connecticon. Moral of the story is, start small...really small. Find a place where everyone can gather that already has some resources like a bathroom (Most important) a TV or at least places to sit. The cape I think is a great place to host an Anime Gathering, my only suggestion is consider it for right before or right after tourist season. All the major cons run during the summer anyway. If you want a suggestion for a gathering that is a little ways off the cape, Consider possibly a Cosplay Night at Lazer Gate in Fall River? [/color]

"Because there is no life without a little fun!"
Cosplaying Inuyasha, Inu-Papa and Sun Ce - DW5.
Anime Boston 2005-2013!
Connecticon 2004-2013!

thewhimsywizard
AB Alumni

Post by thewhimsywizard »

I'm boring & broke so only Portcon, in Portland, ME
Kara (Kai) Marston
Creative Technical Staff
Silvershadow

Post by Silvershadow »

Sounds like a very ambitious idea. It would be very difficult, no doubt about that. However, nothing good comes easy. The Cape Codder would be the best choice I feel, I have done an event or two there and the rooms would be adequate for a small convention.

It would be best to start with small gatherings, as has been mentioned, and see the immediate interest. I would say, try to put the word out there and gather up people who want to start planning. On the Cape Cod forum there are some ideas being thrown around about the Hyannis Green, it would be a great springboard start.
"This is the world you've stuck yourself into, if you aren't strong enough to lead then you lose the privilege of getting what you want."
-Genkai (Yu Yu Hakusho)
BlackSunRising
AB Alumni

Post by BlackSunRising »

Other than the topics of the weather previously discussed by other posters, I'd like to mention how difficult it would be to GET to Cape Cod without a car. A lot of people use public transportation, and the Cape is not part of the MBTA or other major transportation lines, and that could severely reduce your potential convention attendance.

The major things to consider are:
  • [li]Cost - Who's going to front the money for the venue and entertainment? [/li][li]Accessibility - Is it in a place that is easily reachable, including by people from out of town? [/li][li]Availability - Is there anywhere affordable enough to host this event? Large enough? What amenities are offered? [/li][li]Draw - Why should people come to your event? What's so great about it?[/li]

The idea of a CapeCon is awesome but ultimately I don't believe the location is the most conducive to draw potential attendees.
KowalaTaco
Expert Poster

Post by KowalaTaco »

[quote=eidna][quote=Nosut]

I hope you mean summer. In the dead of winter.....the cape is dead.
[/quote]

No, I meant in the dead of winter would be the only time the cape isn't ridiculously busy. [/quote]
wouldnt money be a problem cuz of x-mas time? would it make more sence to have it sometime in the fall wen tourist are gone but its not completely lacking people? wouldnt it b too hot cuz of summer and wouldnt be a risk of being snow'd in in winter and wouldnt be as cold... didnt mean to be rude but i worry

if there was a commitee id like to help all i can :3

sorry for interupting.. if iwas out-of-line for posting ^^
Anime Boston 2013
*Wonder Woman* Fri-Sunday