The Most Incredible Story

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2010.
The Mystic Pop-Tart
Getting the hang of this...

Post by The Mystic Pop-Tart »

Dear Anime Boston:

I want to share with you the most incredible story of my life. Some of you may have heard this tale, and if you have, I apologise for continually retelling it.

I am from Nebraska. I came to Boston to meet up with some Facebook role-play friends. However, I was not going to come to this convention until I saw Nobuo Uematsu on the list of guests. Due to him being a fairly late addition, the decision to go was rather hasty. But, I threw the money together and managed to go.

Now, to put how much meeting this man affected me, I had to excuse myself from the Saturday Q&A after he answered my question.

I missed the Saturday autograph session, because I was tired and jet-lagged, and didn't see the changes on the Saturday schedule.

I got a text message on Sunday, telling me to get over to the convention centre because people were lining up for the Sunday session. Ditching my things with my roommates, I ran over as fast as I could in my obnoxiously inconvenient cosplay.

Finding my friends, they told me they'd saved me a spot in line for the second Q&A, but couldn't get me a ticket for the autograph session. Booking it back down three floors, I went to find The Staff Person At 105 (Sweetheart, I still don't even know your name, after all this).

I found the Staff Person, and began to plead my case, trying not to break into tears. I told her that I'd flown 1800+ miles to meet this man, and that it was the specific reason I had come to this con. She shook her head, and said "I'm sorry, I can't help you. All the tickets are gone." Of course, I began to break down, with one of my roommates standing there trying to comfort me.

A few minutes later, she comes back, with another woman in tow. I had not seen this other woman the whole weekend, and had no idea what was going on. The Staff Lady said "This woman wants to ask you a question." The next exchange went approximately like this:

"Are you okay?"
"No. I flew halfway across the country to meet this man, and now I'm not going to get to."
"Did you only have one thing for him to sign?"
"There was only one thing, really, yeah--"
"Because if you take my notebook, I'll give you my ticket."

This complete stranger offered me what amounts to my life's dream. Hugging her, breaking into happy tears this time, I begin thanking her, babbling about how much this meant to me.

Smiling, she pulled out a little card and said "Here, I want you to have this, too." It said "Just a reminder that you really matter." This is something I don't even hear from my own parents, let alone complete strangers. It's people like this that make me believe in angels.

I would like to take the time to apologise in advance. First off, I know this is a very long story. Second off, I want to ask the staff people not to get anyone in trouble for this next part. I cannot put into words the sheer emotional weight of this next part of the story.

Running down at noon to get Kimberly's ticket and notebook, we both meet up with the Staff Lady again. As Kimberly hands me her ticket, the Staff Lady actually announced what happened to the line for autographs. I told the population that "This woman is a saint, and if you get the chance, give her a hug." Of course, someone leaves line to do so, which means to me that maybe I'm not just a sentimental fool for things like this.

Afterwards, the Staff Lady turns to us and says "You did not have to do that, especially for a complete stranger. I found this, and want you to have it." And she pulled out another admission ticket, allowing us both in, and allowing me to get a second autograph for someone very special to me.

There is one more addition to this story, and Staff Lady, if this gets you in trouble, you have my full permission to blame me. I asked her if I could give my ticket to the event people, and then get it back for my scrapbook after everything was said and done. She looks around, and tells me to hide the first ticket in my badge holder, and hands me a spare, just so I can keep the original for my memory book (I promise, this amazing gift was absolutely not abused).

Staff Lady, Kimberly, if either of you see this, I want to thank you one more time, from the top, bottom, front and back of my heart, for absolutely making this weekend. I have accomplished one of my big life's goals - to meet this man whose talent I hold in such high esteem, as a fellow musician. A lot of what happened went so far and above the call of duty, it utterly defies words. As I write this, safe at home in Nebraska, I still can hardly believe it actually happened, and I'm hoping that someone will help me realise that it's not just a really wonderful dream.

Thanks, from Nebraska.
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

Someone must be cutting onions in the next cubicle or something. Weird.

In all seriousness, thank you for sharing your story. It's for things like this that I continue to love the anime convention community, AB in particular.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
kalevinrajo

Post by kalevinrajo »

+3 Faith in Humanity. Great story, and mad, mad props to both people who helped you out!
KingPads
Expert Poster

Post by KingPads »

W00t for good people!
Viajeras
Veteran Poster

Post by Viajeras »

This truly is an amazing story. I'm so happy for you. This story proves the type of warmth and heart that you get from convention attendees. Thank you so much for telling it.
Anime Boston 2018 Plans & Possibilities
Friday - Hendrickson (S1 & S2) (Nanatsu no Taizai)
Sima Zhao (Dynasty Warriors 9)
Mila Babicheva (Yuri!!! On Ice)
AnimeAnthropologist
Veteran Poster

Post by AnimeAnthropologist »

further proof that community is the best thing about being an otaku. without that, how hollow would our passion be?
Http://www.studyofanime.com Charles Dunbar: Symbolic Anthropologist and Fandom Scholar
The Mystic Pop-Tart

Now that I've slept solidly, I might be a little more coherent.

To me, being an anime fan, or an otaku, a musician, any of it - it's not about who's the bigger fan. It's about sharing the love you have with everyone around you, and Kimberly, this wonderful, amazing woman, showed me and everyone in that line the absolute truest meaning of that.

Thank you to the people that took the time to actually read my long, babbling story, and I apologise to the people that I made misty-eyed.

If anyone on staff, or even the general con-goers, know who that Staff Lady was, please please PLEASE, I'm begging you, point me to her profile, or her Facebook, or something. D:
KingPads
Expert Poster

Post by KingPads »

Did you try the staff listing page?

http://animeboston.com/about/staff_listing/

Maybe you can recognize the name?
The Mystic Pop-Tart

I didn't catch her name. ;_;
She had copper-red hair and glasses, and was on security, if that helps anyone point me in the right direction.
KimtanaTheGeek

Post by KimtanaTheGeek »

Thanks for sharing this!

It meant more to me to see you get your dream than all the autographs in all the world! ^_^

I cannot take any credit for this, however. I just did as I know Jesus would have--as cliche as that sounds, it's completely true.

You are a beloved child of God, and this was one way for you to see how much He loves you!

Please keep in touch, and I hope to see you at AB again soon!!!

--Kimberly

PS, always remember, you really DO matter! *hugs*
Hato

Post by Hato »

Aw, we hung out with you after that. You were telling us about it. I was the half-assed US/Alfred with the Britannia Angel [Might've been Iggy in his pajamas if it was late Sunday, actually.]
DDRMOOGLE2202
Veteran Poster

Post by DDRMOOGLE2202 »

It was actually pretty hard to keep the water works down while reading your story...the people on the commuter rail will think I'm crazy...darn hormones >.< As for the Q & A, even though it is not live obviously, you can still find the entire thing here on youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r5JSFvE ... re=related

Thanks again for sharing! ^-^
lordshamus
AB Staff

Post by lordshamus »

Unless I am very much mistaken, the girl you are looking for is our own spectacular Nikki Kolosha. She told me your story from the other side in much the same feel-good tone. Even a miserable jaded d-bag like me melted a little bit. Apparently you inspired a mass-doubling up of strangers for that autograph panel that more than one person thought was very inspiring. Way to be, guy. That's a lot better than screaming "Marco Polo".
Last edited by lordshamus on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: not gude speling
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Shamus Mahan
Legatus Legionis
AB Security
Consul
NEAS

“Uneasy lies the head that wears a hilarious novelty hat.” -Wm Shakespeare
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

Wow, after reading that, I wanna give you a hug. :D

That's awesome that someone was willing to give up their ticket for you. I am VERY happy that you got to meet Nobuo. :)
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
The Mystic Pop-Tart

Sweetheart, I desperately need your email again. The one you gave me isn't giving me any Facebook results. D:

And to everyone that has cried, I PROFUSELY apologise. ._.

Hato - I'm super-sorry. I don't quite remember you. ;_; It seems like any con further than 100 miles gives me some massive virus or illness, and I'm currently dumb as a bag of hammers.

DDRMOOGLE - I actually made it to to both Q&A sessions, and got to ask a question at the first one. <3 But thank you for the link, that'll be good to have later.

LordShamus - Thank you so so so much. In the rush of events, I never once thought to look at her name tag, and I feel bad now.

Coolforever - Don't give me the hug - Give it to Kimberly. It's people like her that make me believe in angels.
eye

Post by eye »

Ah, hey, I was right behind you two in line on Sunday. All the crying and hugging you two were doing almost made me cry myself. :p I'm glad you were both able to get autographs. After hearing the story of you two, I would have offered Kim an autograph myself if I hadn't already given it to someone else. Luckily she got one after all.

I didn't want to ruin your moment at the time, but it should be mentioned that the staff lady you're referring to (Nikki) is the one that caused the piles of complaint forms on Saturday. What's done is done, but had things gone smoother you might not have had to go through all of that in the first place.
megmo
Determined Poster

Post by megmo »

Wow....it's stories of people who do good deeds such as thing who restore my faith in the human race.
Anime Freak 1234
Veteran Poster

Post by Anime Freak 1234 »

only at anime boston
Shinden
Veteran Poster

Post by Shinden »

Usually I see so much negativity online. Especially certain imageboards that shall remain nameless, but can be associated with a four-leaf clover. You can lose faith in community when you're sealing with so much negativity online and offline.

However, these conventions are a way to release the personalities we keep in the back side of our lives. People in my anime club notice a drastic change from my behaviour at conventions(the real me) and my behaviour in school. I'm nicer to "the weeaboo" at the cons. It's a safehaven.

Stories like this show us that these conventions are an important part of our lives as otaku. Sometimes I even go so far as to say that I wish I could live at the Hynes. XD Good memories are cherished.

I thank you for sharing your story. Allergies acting up after it I guess... We should appreciate the kindness of our fellow otaku; United in individuality and kindness. And crazy outfits and thousands of keychains and buttons.
2012: I, Otaku
2013: off
2014: An Introduction to Kill La Kill
2015: Beyond Honnouji
2016: Japanophile's Guide to Boston, Nippon wo Mamore
2017: All About the Imperial Family
2018: Contrasts of Tezuka
The Mystic Pop-Tart

[quote=Shinden]Usually I see so much negativity online. Especially certain imageboards that shall remain nameless, but can be associated with a four-leaf clover. You can lose faith in community when you're sealing with so much negativity online and offline.

However, these conventions are a way to release the personalities we keep in the back side of our lives. People in my anime club notice a drastic change from my behaviour at conventions(the real me) and my behaviour in school. I'm nicer to "the weeaboo" at the cons. It's a safehaven.

Stories like this show us that these conventions are an important part of our lives as otaku. Sometimes I even go so far as to say that I wish I could live at the Hynes. XD Good memories are cherished.

I thank you for sharing your story. Allergies acting up after it I guess... We should appreciate the kindness of our fellow otaku; United in individuality and kindness. And crazy outfits and thousands of keychains and buttons. [/quote]

Y-Yes. Allergies. And old contact-lenses. ;v; <3
DarianFlynn

Post by DarianFlynn »

Wow...congratz...thats amazing!
so worth the trip!